My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences... - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
noone has any ideas i just don't have any clue whats causing this...it should just pop in and work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooyork26 View Post

noone has any ideas i just don't have any clue whats causing this...it should just pop in and work.

zooyork.

try these links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22failed+to+start+disc+at+once%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a
post #213 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post

It still fascinates me that Marc saw some success with BDMV from DVDit and nobody else seems to have had the same successes.

I don't have DVDit Pro. As I wrote in my orginal post on the subject. a friend of mine brought over a BDMV he says was authored in BDMV, and the 5 miniute clip did play fine on my PS3.

Every BDMV I authored was done with the old version of Movie factory 5. I made about a dozen BDMV discs with MF5, by creating the ISO blu ray disc image, and then burning with Nero 7.

Marc.

MDC
post #214 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post

I don't have DVDit Pro. As I wrote in my orginal post on the subject. a friend of mine brought over a BDMV he says was authored in BDMV, and the 5 miniute clip did play fine on my PS3.

Right, I think it was assumed that this test disc was DVDit Pro sourced. That may have been a bad assumption.

I think I can get access to one of the ULead tools for BD authoring - I will try that as part of my next set of experiments.
post #215 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Have you tried the software that came with the drive (Should be Cyberlink stuff)?

Nero will not let you "author" a disk you'll need to use another program for that (PowerProducer/DVDit Pro HD/Movie Factory). You can then create the necessary files/iso to your hard disk and let nero write it back out or the authoring program can do that also...
post #216 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Ok, test results from today are in:

Someone suggested the a professionally authored BD could be ripped, burned and played on the PS3.

So I took one of my BD movies and did the extraction, recreated the folder structure and burned the resulting files to BDRE twice, once with Sony media and once with TDK media.

The result: my fair use backup ( ) plays on the PS3 just like the original disc. This is true of both media brands so it would seem that the media brand compatibility question is answered - there is no difference.

Phloyd, I'm really glad you also got this to work. I was beginning to think I had some magical version of 1.6

Bob
post #217 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 PM

im wondering if its my RE ...i could try a bd-r verbatim but id hate to waste 11$. but id also not like to buy another bd-re. i looked at the links and i even wrote to sony and no help has come fourth. there must be something i can do to fix this
post #218 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt it is the RE.

I have had the same results with Sony BDRE and TDK BDRE.

Tonight I used Ulead VideoStudio10 to make a BD image and put it on a BDRE.

It appears that the Panasonic does not like the image - will be interesting to see what the PS3 thinks of it tomorrow...
post #219 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HUNZEKER View Post

Phloyd, I'm really glad you also got this to work. I was beginning to think I had some magical version of 1.6

Yeah Bob it is at least a sign of hope

I also hope to work out what it is about these different structures that make one work and one not...
post #220 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 AM

ive just about given up ive tried 5 other apps and a bd-r it never starts writing it just errors out in 2 secs.. any ideas is the drive bad??? some issue with buffers or what . i was really looking forward to this and its just a nightmore .. kinda how my weeks gone this week.
post #221 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Every BDMV I authored was done with the old version of Movie factory 5. I made about a dozen BDMV discs with MF5, by creating the ISO blu ray disc image, and then burning with Nero 7.

Marc.

Since when does MF5 BDMV? Its BDAV making only... !?
post #222 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_ View Post

Since when does MF5 BDMV? Its BDAV making only... !?

The original version of MF5 (version 5.000) had BDMV support. They removed it after that for reasons unknown. Some people who bought the first release have BDMV support.

Marc.

MDC
post #223 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I have some interesting news to report:

Using the "early" version of movie factory, I have found that the .m2ts stream that it creates when generating the Blu-Ray folders will play PERFECTLY with full 5.1 audio, no audio dropouts and a working status bar by simply placing the file on a memory stick and placing it in a folder named "VIDEO". Unfortunately, I am having trouble getting the movie factory to output files of any "substantial" size. It will start creating the folders (or the .ISO, whichever I choose), and then it will stop after encoding the first 20-30 seconds of video and it reports either:

Failed to create VOB folder (if selecting to "create Blu-Ray folders)

OR

Failed to create disc image (if selecting to "create disc image (ISO))

Now, here is the real kicker. If I open the blu-ray folders that WERE created, and look in the "stream" folder, the first 20-30 seconds of the video are encoded as an .m2ts stream. If I take this clip, which ranges from 20-30 megs in size, and write it to a usb memory stick (and put it in a folder titled "VIDEO") it plays on the PS3 PERFECTLY. The audio is retained as DD 5.1, there are NO audio dropouts and the status bar IS present.

I then tried the following experiments:

1) Renamed a compliant .mpg video file as m2ts file and tried to play it in the same manner -no luck. I THINK the error was that it claimed that "The video can not be played".
2) Renamed a transport stream file with the .m2ts extension and tried to play it in the same manner and again, an error. I THINK it said "the data is corrupt".

So, based upon the SMALL video file that was output from Movie Factory, it would appear that the Best/Easiest way to get what we are trying to achieve is to have movie factory convert the Mpeg files to a compliant .m2ts file (which is located in the "stream" directory of the created folders) and burn this file to a disc under a folder simply titled "VIDEO". No BD compliant authoring required! Unfortunately, I can not test this, as my Movie Facotry crashes with an error after encoding the first 20-30 seconds of the video file. If anyone knows of an "alternate" piece of software that will convert a compliant .mpg file into a .m2ts file, then that SHOULD be all that we need to accomplish our goals (proper playback with FULL 5.1 audio support and no "issues"). Of course, there would be no "menus" or whatever, but I would GLADLY settle for what was playing from my memory stick this morning (only on Blu-Ray media).

This problem that I am experiencing happened on TWO DIFFERENT computers. I fully removed my existing "newer" versions of movie factory prior to installing the initial 5.0 release, and the error stops the creation of the files on BOTH computers...

Lee
post #224 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB99 View Post

Using the "early" version of movie factory, I have found that the .m2ts stream that it creates when generating the Blu-Ray folders will play PERFECTLY with full 5.1 audio, no audio dropouts and a working status bar by simply placing the file on a memory stick and placing it in a folder named "VIDEO". Unfortunately, I am having trouble getting the movie factory to output files of any "substantial" size. It will start creating the folders (or the .ISO, whichever I choose), and then it will stop after encoding the first 20-30 seconds of video and it reports either:

OR

Now, here is the real kicker. If I open the blu-ray folders that WERE created, and look in the "stream" folder, the first 20-30 seconds of the video are encoded as an .m2ts stream. If I take this clip, which ranges from 20-30 megs in size, and write it to a usb memory stick (and put it in a folder titled "VIDEO") it plays on the PS3 PERFECTLY. The audio is retained as DD 5.1, there are NO audio dropouts and the status bar IS present.

1) Renamed a compliant .mpg video file as m2ts file and tried to play it in the same manner -no luck. I THINK the error was that it claimed that "The video can not be played".
2) Renamed a transport stream file with the .m2ts extension and tried to play it in the same manner and again, an error. I THINK it said "the data is corrupt".

So, based upon the SMALL video file that was output from Movie Factory, it would appear that the Best/Easiest way to get what we are trying to achieve is to have movie factory convert the Mpeg files to a compliant .m2ts file (which is located in the "stream" directory of the created folders) and burn this file to a disc under a folder simply titled "VIDEO". No BD compliant authoring required! Unfortunately, I can not test this, as my Movie Facotry crashes with an error after encoding the first 20-30 seconds of the video file. If anyone knows of an "alternate" piece of software that will convert a compliant .mpg file into a .m2ts file, then that SHOULD be all that we need to accomplish our goals (proper playback with FULL 5.1 audio support and no "issues"). Of course, there would be no "menus" or whatever, but I would GLADLY settle for what was playing from my memory stick this morning (only on Blu-Ray media).

This problem that I am experiencing happened on TWO DIFFERENT computers. I fully removed my existing "newer" versions of movie factory prior to installing the initial 5.0 release, and the error stops the creation of the files on BOTH computers...

Lee

DVDit Pro HD will encode to .m2ts from program stream or elementary stream (.m2v) and you can play that in the v. 1.6 of PS3 (would not play in v. 1.54). If all you want to do is play your high def files in PS3 without menus and you have edited .m2t files or program stream files just put them on a BD data disc and they play perfectly on PS3
post #225 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB99 View Post

OR

Lee

Lee, are you using version 5.0.0 ? Mine will create the full M2ts file without any errors. I still have the 22gig M2ts of King Kong I made. It's cool that the Ps3 will play them with a working status bar! I couldn't get the status bar to work with my BDMV's I made with the same version. I wonder if the size of the file has anythign to do with it?

Marc.

MDC
post #226 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:

ive just about given up ive tried 5 other apps and a bd-r it never starts writing it just errors out in 2 secs.. any ideas is the drive bad??? some issue with buffers or what . i was really looking forward to this and its just a nightmore .. kinda how my weeks gone this week.

Have you got any other recoders on your machine? If so, you might want to try just having the BD recorder only. Or if you can put it on another machine byitself to see if you can isolate the problem...sound like driver/mb issues....
post #227 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have v5.0.0 of MF as well. So, it sounds like if I create an m2ts w/it, it will...
- playback on the PS3 with v1.6 firmware?
- playback w/5.1 audio (no 2.1 downmix)?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #228 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I just checked the version, and it is 5.0.0001.0

So, I guess that the extra "1" near the end might be causing my issues???

Marc, Please put your 22 GIG file on a BD-RE and burn it as a normal "data" disc inside of a folder named "VIDEO" and report your results. This would be the equivalent to my test. I THOUGHT that I had found the answer with the VLC player, as it will transcode mpeg transport streams, but when I tried it, I got an error message and said that it "could not be played". Right now, I need to find some software (like the DVD it Pro mentioned) that will simply convert these files to m2ts format. Who needs menus? I just want to WATCH the videos in their "full glory"...

Lee
post #229 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I have v5.0.0 of MF as well. So, it sounds like if I create an m2ts w/it, it will...
- playback on the PS3 with v1.6 firmware?
- playback w/5.1 audio (no 2.1 downmix)?

I'm going to try playing back the raw m2ts files I created tonight and see how they play. It sounds as though Lee can play them with 5.1 sound, just as they play from my BDMVs I made with it. That would be great for people who don't actually want to burn the entire authored creation and just want to stream the files from a USB device.

Marc.

MDC
post #230 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm going to try playing back the raw m2ts files I created tonight and see how they play. It sounds as though Lee can play them with 5.1 sound, just as they play from my BDMVs I made with it. That would be great for people who don't actually want to burn the entire authored creation and just want to stream the files from a USB device.

Marc.

It would seem to me that the USB device is NOT the answer, since you can not hook anything up to the PS3 with file sizes larger than 4GB (only Fat32). The end result of putting your .m2ts video files on to a "data disc" will be EXACTLY the same as creating a "BDAV" disc, only...

1) You won't have to use a program like power producer or Movie Factory to generate your images
2) You won't have to use a different program to burn ISO's, and then have to mess with UDF settings, etc.

If this works (on a BD-R/RE) as it did in my case (off the memory stick), then you will be able to burn just the raw .m2ts video files to your BD-RE or -R without having to "jump through hoops", and the shows will play basically the same as the BDAV's have, but without the audio issues or "downmixing" of the audio quality. If this will work for me, then that is ALL that I personally would hope for...

Lee
post #231 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Does anyone know of BD-authoring software available for a Mac that'll support BD-9 (DVD media)? Does Toast8? And if so, would it support converting (not re-encoding) and burning a .TS file?

-John
post #232 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The BDMV authored with Ulead VideoStudio10 (the version that was pulled almost instantly) failed on both the Panasonic and PS3.

What is interesting though - it failed in a different way. The disc appears to try to play but plays for zero time and instantly stops. It does not give the invalid disc error.

So far all attempts to alter the file structure for Roxio authored have failed with the invalid disc error.
post #233 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
This is sounding promising. Thanks for all your efforts guys. I may just have to buy a BD burner now.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #234 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I took the .m2ts file from the ULead VS10+ authored BD and dropped it in the structure from a DVDit Pro HD authored volume.

The resulting disc played in the Panasonic and seems to reveal the following:

1) The streams are ok from VS10+ but not the file structure (wrt Panasonic success)

2) The audio information that the player shows is not taken from the stream, it is taken from the descriptor files in the file structure.

This method of dropping files into a known working file structure may come in handy when certain authoring tools accept a file with no recoding and others might not...

More as I know it...
post #235 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

I also have some results to share.

I dropped a 10 minute HD clip from the beginning of a movie into DVDit Pro HD, just for the purpose of transcoding the (about 800MB) mpeg into a .M2TS. I couldn't find any feature/option in the software to "just transcode" the stream, so I chose to create a "Blu-Ray" image. I could not burn "straight to disc", as this PC is not the one with the BD recorder. I chose to "create an ISO", with the hopes that I could extract the .M2TS file from the ISO using a program like MagicISO. This file could then be dropped onto a memory stick or disc in a "VIDEO" folder for testing.
Once the ISO was created, it could not be opened using "MagicISO", due to the UDF 2.5 structure. I then decided to burn the image to two different DVD's. Both TDK media. One is a -R, the other a +R. After burning these, I tried to "explore" the discs in windows, but (of course) the UDF 2.5 is not "readable" in windows. So, the only thing that I could do was to pop them in to the PS3.
Interestingly enough, the +R disc actually PLAYED! While the -R disc was not read by the PS3. The PS3 saw the +R disc as a "data disc" and not a BDMV. Navigating though the "Video" portion of the media center, I was able to get to the "Stream" subfolder on the disc and execute the .M2TS video file. It played, and with FULL 5.1 dolby digital I might add. As a side note, the "help" file provided with DVDit states that if your source mpeg is recognized as having a 5.1 audio stream, it will NOT transcode the audio, REGARDLESS of what audio settings you use.

Now for the "bad news". Although it DID play, a little bit into the video it started "glitching". And then the PS3 stopped playback and threw up the typical error code and said that the "video can not be played". I sure hope that someone can find an "easy" way to transcode our .TS or compliant Mpeg2 HD files to a reliable .M2TS format. If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me know...

Lee
post #236 of 2482 Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

LeeB - I can save you a lot of trouble

When you 'burn' the disc, select the volume option.

If you do that it will write the file structure to the disk and not the ISO file.

So the .m2ts file will be easily found in that case.

It is also possible to get a 'driver' for windows that allows it to understand UDF 2.5. The driver for the XBox HD DVD add on for example should have that included iirc.

But writing to a volume should solve most of your concerns...

Lastly you can also copy the m2ts to the PS3 internal hard drive from the DVD+R and it should play better from there than it does of the DVD+R disc...
post #237 of 2482 Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee View Post

Have you tried the software that came with the drive (Should be Cyberlink stuff)?

Nero will not let you "author" a disk you'll need to use another program for that (PowerProducer/DVDit Pro HD/Movie Factory).

Apparently Nero can, in BDAV format, with their Nero 7 Ultra Enhanced (superduper jumbo ultimate yada yada yada) suite. Here are the claims:

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/index.html

http://www.nero.com/enu/Blu_Ray_Plugin.html

As with Pinnacle, they claim features that are not fully debugged. Can anyone verify that this works, or is it a bunch of vaporware?
post #238 of 2482 Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie W. Holmes View Post

Apparently Nero can, in BDAV format, with their Nero 7 Ultra Enhanced (superduper jumbo ultimate yada yada yada) suite. Here are the claims:

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/index.html

http://www.nero.com/enu/Blu_Ray_Plugin.html

As with Pinnacle, they claim features that are not fully debugged. Can anyone verify that this works, or is it a bunch of vaporware?

They say you can do menu's which is not available with \\BDAV but it "sounds" like you can do \\BDAV which is not really a problem on most standalones/PS3.
post #239 of 2482 Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Lee, are you using version 5.0.0 ? Mine will create the full M2ts file without any errors. I still have the 22gig M2ts of King Kong I made. It's cool that the Ps3 will play them with a working status bar! I couldn't get the status bar to work with my BDMV's I made with the same version. I wonder if the size of the file has anythign to do with it?

Marc.

What tool did you use to generate m2ts from evob?
post #240 of 2482 Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LeeB - I can save you a lot of trouble

When you 'burn' the disc, select the volume option.
If you do that it will write the file structure to the disk and not the ISO file.
So the .m2ts file will be easily found in that case.
Lastly you can also copy the m2ts to the PS3 internal hard drive from the DVD+R and it should play better from there than it does of the DVD+R disc...

Will this write the information to the "hard drive" (which is what I want) or will it only burn this information "straight to disc". If I can get it to write the volume to a hard drive, then this may be the answer I have been looking for. Thanks...

Lee
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page