The Matrix hits HD DVD May 22. BD release "later" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If the delay in the Blu-ray version is because of the BD-Java authoring, then I think it is high time that Sony make this happen.

As I understand it, the BD-Java runtime is not really an issue, it is the authoring faciltities.

We are a year down-stream now and I am having a hard time understanding why this is such a problem. I understood why BD-50 was difficult and why blue laser production was difficult, but this is just software that could have been developed a long time ago.

Since I am not particularly interested in these interactive features anyway, it is annoying to lose titles because of features that I would not be using.

Let's get with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
To anyone who claims to be format neutral yet is still planning to wait for the Blu-ray version, here's your litmus test. This is probably as big a release as we're ever going to see and from the looks of it, Warner's going all out. I think it's safe to say that the HD DVD will have both IME and TrueHD (in addition to NOT being a combo), so there's really no reason at all to wait for a Blu-ray release if you are format neutral. Nonetheless, this is still great news for both formats!! Just thought I'd throw that out there.

BD- 134
HD DVD- 98

"I have been told by a very reliable contact that Universal should announce neutrality during CES 2008..." -beatboy77
post #93 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I agree this is great news. Is TrueHD confirmed for these titles??
post #94 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I agree this is great news. Is TrueHD confirmed for these titles??

Yes it was confirmed in the other forum that does'nt say Blue Ray on it.
post #95 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull1962 View Post

Yes it was confirmed in the other forum that does'nt say Blue Ray on it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=823006
post #96 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is going to be one real expensive day for me PoTC1, PoTC2, a few other BDs I want plus the Matrix Ultimate set! Its going to be a $220+ day for me
-Evangelo2
post #97 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

This is going to be one real expensive day for me PoTC1, PoTC2, a few other BDs I want plus the Matrix Ultimate set! Its going to be a $220+ day for me
-Evangelo2

Yeah supporting both formats will make it double $$$$ for you...but look at the bright side...you have the best of both worlds...."I mean formats".
post #98 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet or not...but doesn't that picture of the packaging look awfully tall? I'm not positive, but it looks like Warner is screwing over the nitpickers like myself with Sopranos and Discovery Atlas-style tall packaging (read: DVD size).

I'll be among those waiting for the BD version, if not just because I prefer multiformat titles on the format that I see as the next standard, but in the hopes that they release it in proper sized packaging...I'd like to be able to put the matrix BDs right next to my other BDs on the same shelf. I didn't purchase the Discovery Atlas China and Italy titles that I viewed simply because the packaging is so horrible.
post #99 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah baby! i have both format....but i'll wait for Blu-Ray since HD-DVD is a dying breed down the road in my opinion.. I'm sure several million movie fans with Blu-Ray players will jump all over this.....let me guess 2million copies of Blu-Ray sold vs. 200,000 HD-DVD copies LOL.
post #100 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm neutral...but since it will be in Blu-Ray as well, I want that version instead.

I can wait since I have seen all 3 movies like 2 times already. No biggie. It would be more exciting if I haven't seen them before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon View Post

To anyone who claims to be format neutral yet is still planning to wait for the Blu-ray version, here's your litmus test. This is probably as big a release as we're ever going to see and from the looks of it, Warner's going all out. I think it's safe to say that the HD DVD will have both IME and TrueHD (in addition to NOT being a combo), so there's really no reason at all to wait for a Blu-ray release if you are format neutral. Nonetheless, this is still great news for both formats!! Just thought I'd throw that out there.

post #101 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

No lossless audio out of the 360 add-on, while I can get it out of the PS3 is a good reason. I gave up on Batman Begins and am not sorry I did, however, so maybe it will be the same with the Matrix. I used to really like these, but the ultimate DVD boxed set kinda burned me out...

Maybe Toshiba will have a new silver player I can get by then... or Denon will have a dual format player...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #102 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am totally format neutral...since HD DVD came out with the Matrix first they get my money. I am sick and tired of waiting for BD to get their act together. I have no love affair with HD DVD or Blu Ray...I just want the damn movies in HD NOW!

Joe V.
post #103 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD View Post

Who really cares about the extras?.

Most people who've invested in the DVD format.

Double-dipped lately?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #104 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojima16 View Post

Before HD-DVD sails into the sunset it will make a few last stands. This plus price drops on players seems to be the first of what will amount to many "last stands".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysassygirl View Post

yeah baby! i have both format....but i'll wait for Blu-Ray since HD-DVD is a dying breed down the road in my opinion.. I'm sure several million movie fans with Blu-Ray players will jump all over this.....let me guess 2million copies of Blu-Ray sold vs. 200,000 HD-DVD copies LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...d%5Fi=51549011

You know, number 4 and 5 seem to disagree with you there, buds. But don't worry, number 30 is moving up like the lil train that thinks he can, soon he'll be on the next page for that "Last stand".

Ooops, I almost forgot Amazon numbers don't mean anything except when there are 2 for 1 BD software sales, sorry.

And where in the hell did this "several million" come from? Are we talking about DVD?

Star Trek boxed set is next, mark my words. (HD DVD exclusive) Followed by 300 (HD DVD first, later to come out for BD with batman in a special combo pack) But don't worry.... You have pirates! Rarrr!

Proud to always support Blu-Ray studios through Xbox Video Marketplace.
The "High Road" is a pretty boring place.
post #105 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

I am totally format neutral...since HD DVD came out with the Matrix first they get my money. I am sick and tired of waiting for BD to get their act together. I have no love affair with HD DVD or Blu Ray...I just want the damn movies in HD NOW!

I agree %100. Thank God i'm a dual format owner. May 22nd is gonna be a hard hit on the wallet!!!
post #106 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpopsicle View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...d%5Fi=51549011

You know, number 4 and 5 seem to disagree with you there, buds. But don't worry, number 30 is moving up like the lil train that thinks he can, soon he'll be on the next page for that "Last stand".

Ooops, I almost forgot Amazon numbers don't mean anything except when there are 2 for 1 BD software sales, sorry.

And where in the hell did this "several million" come from? Are we talking about DVD?

Star Trek boxed set is next, mark my words. (HD DVD exclusive) Followed by 300 (HD DVD first, later to come out for BD with batman in a special combo pack) But don't worry.... You have pirates! Rarrr!

Several million refers to PS3 owners, which most BD owners are.

You can say that non-standalones don't count, but we can all see by the recent sales spikes in favor of BD that they certainly do count.

Also, if you want to post in the BD forum to add to the debate (as many HD DVD supporters do) that is fine. But if you are just here to make snide comments and repeat talking points then please hop on back to your own area.
post #107 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 PM

If it is true that the Matrix Trilogy is being delayed on Blu-ray because of BD-Java, is there a possibility that the Pirates of the Caribbean films may also experience a similar fate? Both films are supposed to feature the BD-Java bonuses according to HighDef Digest:

"And exclusive to the Blu-ray releases will be two BD-Java bonuses. 'The Curse of the Black Pearl' will include "Scoundrels of the Sea," an interactive in-movie feature that presents facts on-screen about the legends and lore of pirates. 'Dead Man's Chest' will include an "exciting" new Java feature called "Liar's Dice," a single-player game shot in live-action HD video."
post #108 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george king View Post

rlsmith, Typical shifting argument of the BD supporters. First, it is the hardware that is going to win for BD, then after CES it is content that matters, then it is Blockbusters that matter, and now that a bona fide blockbuster is coming to HD, it isnt blockbusters that matter, just NEW blockbusters like PoTC.

Actually, it's the fact that Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD by a huge margin that IS winning it for Blu-ray.

Btw, didn't several "blockbusters" already make it to HD-DVD? Superman, Batman Begins, One of the Harry Potters? Didn't seem to make that much difference if you ask me
post #109 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

asj,

the Harry Potter is in England, Superman and Batman arent in the same league.

Based on Rlsmiths argument, there is no point whatsoever in releasing Star Wars, or LoTR because those are old, and of no use whatsoever in the current format war.

You dont really believe that do you? Are you saying that if Star Wars came out on BD it would less of an effect on Sales than CR? Do you really believe that the only movies that matter in the current struggle are those that are less than 2 years old?
post #110 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george king View Post

You dont really believe that do you? Are you saying that if Star Wars came out on BD it would less of an effect on Sales than CR?

Let me put it this way: I do not believe Star Wars on Blu-ray would sell 100,000 copies in its first week like CR Blu-ray might have done its first week.

However, I believe Spidey 3 on Blu-ray might easily outsell CR Blu-ray...
post #111 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To anyone who claims to be format neutral yet is still planning to wait for the Blu-ray version, here's your litmus test.

Hmm... Matrix Trilogy.... 35 hours....new IME content, interactive experience. lossless sound, and all those shades of green (no pun intended, millions of colors ya know ).

Not only format neutral, but PS3 owners... All that for $100 and the possibility of $200 players by then? Heck, you had $600 for a PS3, what's another 200 smackaroos for the Matrix? As soon as there's a Blu-Ray player for $200 I'm there! Seriously, I want BD, It's just not in my price range yet.

And Dave Mack... I totally agree with you about 2 and 3. They suck. They ruined the whole premise of "The Matrix" But..... 2 and 3 should have some damn cool looking effects in HD.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #112 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Not only format neutral, but PS3 owners... All that for $100 and the possibility of $200 players by then? Heck, you had $600 for a PS3, what's another 200 smackaroos for the Matrix?

Uh, no.
post #113 of 358 Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 View Post

Let me put it this way: I do not believe Star Wars on Blu-ray would sell 100,000 copies in its first week like CR Blu-ray might have done its first week.

How dare you compare CR with SW. That is just wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

The Blu-Ray camp should counter this with all the Star Wars films!!!
That would be as equivalent as shooting HD-DVD at point blank range

Blu-Ray has Star Wars? That's news to me
DVHS/HBO has Star Wars tho

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #114 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The Matrix trilogy on HD-DVD are flipper disks, presumably 30 gig on one side and 15 gig on the other (??)
If so, is that not 100% proof that 30 gig is simply not enough to do many films justice?
post #115 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by builty View Post

The Matrix trilogy on HD-DVD are flipper disks, presumably 30 gig on one side and 15 gig on the other (??)
If so, is that not 100% proof that 30 gig is simply not enough to do many films justice?

Probably no more proof than Kingdom of Heaven on Blu-ray, which uses 50gig of space with 0 extra features. So 50 gig is simply not enough either.
post #116 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

post #117 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:

It couldn't be a combo because it's already a movie/extras flipper set. That will turn some buyers off.

The fact that it's a 3-movie set will not be a problem for fans of the whole trilogy. However, for those, like me, who felt the first film was vastly superior to the sequels may not be so keen to pick up the runts of the litter and pay substantially for the priviledge.

As ever, the numbers will do the real talking so we'll see how those advance orders develop in the weeks ahead.
post #118 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziwig View Post

The fact that it's a 3-movie set will not be a problem for fans of the whole trilogy. However, for those, like me, who felt the first film was vastly superior to the sequels may not be so keen to pick up the runts of the litter and pay substantially for the priviledge.

As ever, the numbers will do the real talking so we'll see how those advance orders develop in the weeks ahead.

I have no intention of paying this kind of money on either format for two movies that I have zero interest in.

A standalone release of the first movie I will absolutely buy. I will wait for that.
post #119 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 04:23 AM

I was going to get this now, since I own both formats, until I read that they were flippers. Scratch that. I have faith that BDA will get its act together and get Java working so we can start getting "certain" films from WB on Blu-Ray.

I can wait for the Blu-Ray version.

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

- Lord Vader; Episode IV A New Hope
post #120 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 04:52 AM

If they are relasing two versions why can't we have the BD complete collection of just the films with PCM in May and then later release the ultimate collection with everything when BD-J is sorted.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page