The Matrix hits HD DVD May 22. BD release "later" - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
joekun,

I have both formats and to be honest, they're okay...for one time. The only one I've watched twice is V for Vendetta. By my count, between different studios, I have 5 or 6 with IME capabilities. Again, they're cool, but just for viewing once.

Still, alot of people seem to want interactivity. I'd rather BDA get this thing right, instead of rushing it to the market.

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

- Lord Vader; Episode IV A New Hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

So true... it happens to me almost every day which is why it is a sore spot. Usually the reasoning behind it is to cut costs.

It happens to me almost every day too, but it's usually because of politics or ass-kissing on management's part...(unrealistically) trying to make someone happy across the hall. Although I have to admit, it's been a little bit better lately.

post #183 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpeed6 View Post

Warner doesn't suck Hddvd sucks

yes 2nd and 3rd movies were bad, if you like them you have issues.

Not everyone has 100dollars to spend on a movie they'll watch only a couple times

no opinion on flipper disks.

When i rent or buy a movie, IME isn't even on the list of prerequistes.

Who pays retail prices for anything? The street price will be much lower than $100. The Mission Impossible Trilogy retailed for $100 yet i only paid $50 when I preorded it and received it on release day. The same thing will happen for the Matrix trilogy. I should be able to pick it up for between $50 and $70. Not the retail price of $100.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #184 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

Flippers suck, no matter what format you own. At first, it looked like Warner was doing HD DVD a favor; now it appears to be doing them a great disservice.

again, you have to be joking. From a "favor" to a "great disservice"

just b/c its a dang flipper?

hmmmm...why don't we start a poll in the HD-DVD forum - how many ppl do you think its going to be a dealbreaker for - just because its a -- oh no! flipper. The Matrix; repeat that to yourself 10 times and then you might get the point
post #185 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

I'm buying this set the day it comes out on HD DVD.To hell with waiting until 'later" for the BRD version.When they say things such as "later", that usually means they have no idea when,where, how much, or if it will ever be released.Looks like Pirates of the Carribean 1 and 2 is going to have a some nice competition.That's fine, i didn't care for either of them anyway.
post #186 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

These interactive features better be AMAZING because from what I've heard I could care less about them, I just want great movies on BD with uncompressed sound.

Absolutely right.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #187 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks like there are alot of sour grapes on this side of the fence. Maybe Blu Ray needs to change its name to Green Ray, lol!

post #188 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
"kinda a waste" would be an understatement. It's very wasteful, inefficient, and not what the BDA sold everyone on. I guess that's the benefit of BD50. But, some people had to drink the Kool-Aid...

Some people may have differing opinions about whether HDi or BD Java is better, but HDi WORKS.

post #189 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
[quote=hassoon]I understand, but the thing is that I've started leaning more towards Blu because that's the part of my collection that's getting larger and larger.

At least we know the Blu version is coming out. Hopefully the delay means Blu supporters
Quote:

won't get a half-baked version compared to the HD-DVD release.[/

QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding...

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #190 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Yep - same here. My Blu-Ray player is so much less "clunky" than my HD-DVD player (boot time, load time, resume play) - unless it's HD-DVD exclusive, I'll wait for Blu-Ray. I just hope the films are available seperately - I didn't care for the second and third ones, either.

Clunky is my word, which I describe the Panasonic, work horse yes, but my XA2 faster, quiter reading discs, and what the hell is all this "reading disc" thing on the Panasonic?

Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #191 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD View Post

There is no official word yet. If its true, then Warner went back on its word at CES 2007. If Warner just did the movies without extra, I would prefer that better. Who really cares about the extras? Just release the damn thing already without extras.

SyHD: Maybe HD DVD should promote that they have 1.75 major exclusive studios. Can Paramont be far behind? April 1. Reduction on MRSP for HD DVD prices...can only get better. Now only going into speculation but I think the "dreaded Combo disc" would fit into Disney family friendly mindthink perfectly. Same disc can be read on the HDTV and played for the kids on those long family trips in the SUV.

post #192 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Warner doesn't favor HD DVD - it's a corporation, they think about revenue and thats all. They have WAITED AND WAITED for BD to catch up for a year now - this film was supposed to come out summer of '06. I'd say Warner finally got smart
post #193 of 358 Old 03-22-2007, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
WB should get those Disney folk who got it working on Chicken Little to come help them out!

post #194 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 670
What did Disney get working on Chicken Little? DOes it have the equivalent of an In Movie Experience that Warner uses with HD DVD? When I looked at the Chicken Little disc it didn't seem like anything different then other BD movies. It seemed like it had the basic pop up menu, nothing special and nowhere close to what has been done with HD DVD. But I didn't fully explore the menu so I may have missed something.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #195 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 AM

i only want the first one. im thinking java is the reason for the delay.

Blu-ray exclusive
post #196 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

No, I have never bothered to look at IME on my HD DVDs. I have nothing against extras. I often find them informative. But are they more informative or useful when stuck in a window in the main picture? It is very hard for me to imagine that is true.

like someone else said, it gives you context. they can have something like how the cg effect was done in pip while you see the finished version in the actual movie. it also nicely ties together all the special features into a cohesive package that better fits with how the movie was edited.

i'm a real film buff, and like me, there are alot of other people who enjoy watching the movie, then have the director dissect the movie for us so we can analyze it more closely. this gives us an idea of the director's original vision vs how we perceived it. it may also give us insight into the struggles and tribulations suffered during pre/post production so alot of us can appreciate the movie even more!

i know some of you won't find any of this stuff useful or interesting, but having it there can only make the movie better, not worse. worst comes to worst, you turn it off and enjoy the movie while people like me can enjoy both. so to make a blanket statement hating IME because bluray can't get it's act together is indicative of blind fanboyism. not attacking your post, but there have been many posts in this thread that do so.

bluray was supposed to be technically superior, they've been touting this ever since launch. they are still obviously doing it. yet, a year later, they still haven't done anything technically better than HD DVD, in fact HD DVD has the upper hand, technically so far. mix this with sony's style of distasteful PR, it's not hard to see how knowledgeable people can be turned off by what bluray has to offer.
post #197 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be buying this baby for HD DVD. Good job Warner.
post #198 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Looks like The Animatrix will NOT be in HD, so I will probably wait this one out until I can buy just the first movie by itself, probably on BD.
post #199 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I'm just glad I am on the Neutral Team!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #200 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 01:50 PM

I believe that a primary reason we are seeing some releases on HD DVD first, then Blu-Ray later is that HD DVD has far superior (and easier to use) authoring tools, particularly for the interactivity.

I think the folks putting together the MATRIX films for HD release are scratching their heads on the BD side, while the HD DVD side glided through the process.

I'm sure the BD authoring tools are improving as time goes on, but this is something they should have ironed out a year (or more) ago. They rushed the BD stuff to release because of the pressure the HD DVD guys put on them.

Eric
post #201 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I haven't seen them in HD yet, so I WANT them.
post #202 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Looks like The Animatrix will NOT be in HD, so I will probably wait this one out until I can buy just the first movie by itself, probably on BD.

Wait, what's the technical reason behind that? Dang it, The Animatrix was my second favorite 'film' out of the four. Bleh!
post #203 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Wait, what's the technical reason behind that? Dang it, The Animatrix was my second favorite 'film' out of the four. Bleh!

I don't know if there is a "technical" reason behind it. Probably a cost issue I would guess. But I agree with you, it's better than part 2 or 3.
post #204 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most likely it's for a double dip (at the very least) and they'll come out with HD later.

Though for that matter, they could well do a release with no PiP (or "faked" PiP ala Crank, Descent, etc) and then a BD-J version later...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #205 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Did I also mention to be looking for some huge news from Blu-ray in about 9 days?

~Josh

I hope you have this from more reliable contacts than the one that told you a few hours ago that matrix wasn't coming on May 22

!

BTW - Warner have done the right thing, here. They should no more hold back their HD DVD version because of BDJ than they should hold back their SD DVD version either.

Releases like this will encourage the "BDJ establishment" to get their s*** sorted out faster.
post #206 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's no reason to "hold back" the BD version, especially when we're likely to see an HD remastering/double dip on the basic set too. Much less for PiP noone wants or needs on BD. I just want high bitrate MPEG2 and lossless audio. I have all the extras I need from the 'ultimate' DVD set (I have yet to see half of it).

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #207 of 358 Old 03-23-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

BTW - Warner have done the right thing, here. They should no more hold back their HD DVD version because of BDJ than they should hold back their SD DVD version either.

Do you believe that Warner should hold back 24/48 lossless from Blu-ray because of issues on HD DVD with fitting that in either their bandwidth or space? In short, should they limit the quality of the Blu-ray for HD DVD, or should they make the Blu-ray version the best it can be within Blu-ray's limitations (not HD DVD's)?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #208 of 358 Old 03-24-2007, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i know some of you won't find any of this stuff useful or interesting, but having it there can only make the movie better, not worse.

Vassili, it's cool that you enjoy these features, and I agree that having it is better than not having it. Of course, having the movies is better than not having the movies regardless of extras.

Honestly though, if I were format neutral and there was an HD-DVD version with IME and flipper discs next to a BD version with no IME and all content on one side for the same price I would go with the BD every time.

I assume you have HD-DVD since you've seen these IME features before, and I have yet to see any BD only owners state that the lack of this feature would be a deal breaker or even a disappointment to them. On the other hand many are disappointed that we have to wait longer for the release.

BDA's fault? Sure, but Warner has to share in the blame as well, holding back films for one feature that people aren't really beating down the doors for.
post #209 of 358 Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

BDA's fault? Sure, but Warner has to share in the blame as well, holding back films for one feature that people aren't really beating down the doors for.

Do you think it would be fair for WB to hold back the HD DVD release of the movies just because BD-J is lagging behind? Do you not think that HD DVD has earned its release advantage by being prepared ahead of time?
post #210 of 358 Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Do you believe that Warner should hold back 24/48 lossless from Blu-ray because of issues on HD DVD with fitting that in either their bandwidth or space? In short, should they limit the quality of the Blu-ray for HD DVD, or should they make the Blu-ray version the best it can be within Blu-ray's limitations (not HD DVD's)?

In most cases where the HD DVD release has lossless audio and the BD release does not, it is simply because the BD release (at 25 gigs) has 5 Gigs less than the HD DVD release and the audio could not fit.

Perfect example of this is Happy Feet. Would you rather they encode the cideo at a lower bitrate for the BD version, so that the lossless audio could fit too?
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page