Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 579 Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Did either of you get this? I have this concert on DVD and was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the Blu-ray. I love the original Mindcrime album but wasn't all that impressed with Mindcrime II. As Queensryche concerts go I prefer some of their other releases.

I have the Mindcrime at the Moore Blu-ray, and I think it's fantastic. Image quality is superb, and it doesn't hurt that the audio options include DTS-HD MA. It's worth the upgrade (IMO) for those who have any interest in the band's material.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 579 Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As expected, U2 will be releasing this years documentary "From The Sky Down" on Blu-ray worldwide except the US on (curiously) Monday 12th December, with US release set for January 24th, 2012. It has been broadcast on HD on Showtime the past couple months and was released on dvd as part of the massive "Achtung Baby" box sets. It's kind of screwy that those of us that bought the expensive box set in part to get that documentary now have to re-buy it to get it in an HD format which will include a so-called directors cut along with bonus "Live in Studio" footage not on the dvd.

The program itself is a fascinating look into the circumstances and intensely methodical way the band recorded their Achtung Baby record, however it is very dry and tough sledding for even hardcore fans due to the way it seems to go on and on about certain less-than-relevant things.

Taken from U2.com:

Screened in the UK as part of the BBC's Imagine Series, From The Sky Down was the first ever documentary film to open the prestigious Toronto International Film Festival. Now Davis Guggenheim's film about the making of Achtung Baby is set for release worldwide on Blu-ray and DVD on Monday 12th December, with US release set for January 24th.

The Blu-ray and DVD release includes bonus footage of So Cruel, Love Is Blindness, and The Fly shot last May during the band's visit to Hansa Studios to mark the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby. It also includes a Q&A with Bono, The Edge and Davis Guggenheim filmed at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

'Twenty years after the release of U2's Achtung Baby (1991), Davis Guggenheim charts the path toward this groundbreaking album. Guggenheim uses animation and unseen footage from Berlin and Dublin alongside conversation to reveal what is now a key chapter in U2's career. '
post #483 of 579 Old 12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I just picked this up the other day. Another great Rush Blu-ray. I don't think the picture was quite as sharp as the R30 and Snakes and Arrows concerts but the sound was excellent. I found the picture just a bit softer than the other two.

i thought the sound quality was alright but far from excellent. geddy's vocals were not very good. i've heard that he had a cold and that it was the end of the tour which may be legitimate excuses. but it is was it is. and his vocals weren't good. it's still entertaining but i wish i had bought r30 instead.
post #484 of 579 Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Liked: 10
I would love to see a lot more Blu-ray concerts in 2012. I'm surprised there aren't a lot more offerings available of recent concerts. Amazon has a healthy selection, but many are remastered concerts that are years old, of only select artists.
post #485 of 579 Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
One concert I hope they put out on Blu ray[which i'm watching on PBS right now]is Santana Live At Montreux 2011.[it looks and sounds amazing btw]

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #486 of 579 Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

One concert I hope they put out on Blu ray[which i'm watching on PBS right now]is Santana Live At Montreux 2011.[it looks and sounds amazing btw]

I can't comment on 2011, but Santana Live at Montreux 2004 is quite good. And it is available now.
post #487 of 579 Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Recieved Journey Live in Manila BD for Christmas to replace my DVD. PQ improved, but the DTS MA track is very poor....didn't listen to the other encodings (PCM 2.0, and DD 5.1 I believe). Disappointed.
post #488 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Purely from a Sound and Picture Quality, can anyone recommend a single BluRay music concert disc for me? I recently upgraded my HT and would like a solid BluRay concert disc that can demonstrate the features of my system. I can stand anything but Heavy Metal music! I know that the choice of music is personal, but I'm really looking for a disc that takes advantage of the 1080p picture format and lossless 5.1 (or 7.1) audio. Thanks.

Cal68

Cal68
post #489 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Not knowing any specific favorites leaving things rather open.

Eagle Rock Entertainment appears to be releasing some quality BR concerts, many favorably reviewed at blu-ray.com.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=20
Their Yes, Pretenders, and Peter Gabriel releases have me intrigued.
http://www.eagle-rock.com/browse_pro...Genre=&Type=BR

I have not seen either release but if you enjoy Shakira both her concerts are suppose to be great in regards to A/V.

If you can handle Industrial music, Nine Inch Nails - Beside You In Time has excellent cinematography and stellar dynamic audio. Too bad most of their recordings these days are excessively compressed and clipped.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #490 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Liked: 22
Recent Great titles are Kylie Aphrodite, Shakira in Paris, Bad Company Wembley
older great titles are John Mayer, Police, Stevie Nicks

these have great sound quality and very nice video
post #491 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

The Shakira bluray sounds good to me, but I will check out the others too before getting one. Thanks for the advice.

Cal68

Cal68
post #492 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

Purely from a Sound and Picture Quality, can anyone recommend a single BluRay music concert disc for me? I recently upgraded my HT and would like a solid BluRay concert disc that can demonstrate the features of my system. I can stand anything but Heavy Metal music! I know that the choice of music is personal, but I'm really looking for a disc that takes advantage of the 1080p picture format and lossless 5.1 (or 7.1) audio. Thanks.

Cal68

My recommendations are:

K.D. Lang Live in London

Legends of Jazz Showcase (hard to find)

Return To Forever: Returns - Live in Montreux 2008

Roy Orbison: A Black and White Night

These all have reference quality audio and/or video.
post #493 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

My recommendations are:

K.D. Lang Live in London

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check out the Jazz recommendations because I am a big fan of jazz.

Cal68

Cal68
post #494 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check out the Jazz recommendations because I am a big fan of jazz.

Cal68

If you are into jazz try Chris Botti live with orchestra and special guests. It's a great disc and also is a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround 24/96 disc.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #495 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM

I think The Eagles released HD-DVD concert video several years ago, but never released anything on BD? They had several tours during last 5 yrs and I can't believe they never recorded or released any of them on BD!
They have loyal fans who'd definitely be interested.

Led Zeppelin had a reunion a few years ago, but never released any BD that I know of. What a shame. They released Song Remains the same, but that's so long ago, I don't think PQ or AQ is good enough in today's standard.

And these guys are not getting any younger!
I sure hope to see them on BD with excellent PQ and AQ for the first time.
post #496 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM

+1 for Return to Forever. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's. The new Peter Gabriel is also great.
post #497 of 579 Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post

+1 for Return to Forever. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's. The new Peter Gabriel is also great.

My only minor complaint about the Return to forever disc is the rear channel mix with instruments in them. I would have preferred the instruments remain in the front channels as the video displays them along with the natural audience ambiance of a large venue. Jeff Beck is a great example of the audience mixed into the performance. Smaller place with a definite you are there feel to the disc.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #498 of 579 Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

My recommendations are:

K.D. Lang Live in London

I just ordered all of these discs with the exception of the Jazz showcase which was expensive, as well as the Shakira disc suggested by another AVS member. On my way home tonight, I'm going to pick up the Lady Gaga disc from my local Best Buy. My family and I are bound to enjoy these great concert discs in the coming weeks. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I second AVMAN777's sentiments that it would be great if the Eagles would release some of their concert videos on BluRay with lossless 5.1 surround. I have two of their older DVD concert videos and I still like them very much. I can just imagine how much nicer they would be on BluRay with lossless sound!

Cal68

Cal68
post #499 of 579 Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

I just ordered all of these discs with the exception of the Jazz showcase which was expensive,

The Showcase disc is worth having for jazz fans. Not long ago you could still snag it as old stock once in a while at the original retail price. At one point they had their own website selling it, but that's gone. It's OOP for now. I'd snag one of those used copies for $34. The value could go up even more.

I have 2 copies.
post #500 of 579 Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Cal68

The Police: "Certifiable" Fantastic PQ and even better AQ.
post #501 of 579 Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Legends of jazz with Ramsey Lewis has a simply stunning audio track and great PQ as well. If you are a Jazz fan this is a must own.
post #502 of 579 Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Cal68

Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre [Blu-ray] (2008). Awesome picture with some punchy sound.

"If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it!"
Equipment:
Classe SSP-600 Processor
Rotel RMB-1095 Amplifier
Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma
Oppo BDP-95 Blu Ray Player
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts/Studio 40 Rears/Studio CC-450 Center
Mirage BPS-400 Subwoofer
post #503 of 579 Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Cal68

Cal68: My personal favorite is STEVIE WONDER LIVE AT LAST. Absolutely goregous color,fine audio,and a tremedous setlist. This would be followed by
THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME CONCERTS. Another title which has consistently appeared on many,many lists for reference quality audio and video is DAVE MATTHEWS LIVE AT RADIO CITY.
post #504 of 579 Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete s visnic View Post

Cal68: My personal favorite is STEVIE WONDER LIVE AT LAST. Absolutely goregous color,fine audio,and a tremedous setlist. This would be followed by
THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME CONCERTS. Another title which has consistently appeared on many,many lists for reference quality audio and video is DAVE MATTHEWS LIVE AT RADIO CITY.

Yup, like that one too "STEVIE WONDER LIVE AT LAST", great AQ but wish the bass lines were more up front.

Some nice looking eye candy to boot
post #505 of 579 Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Just watched "Roy Orbison: A Black and White Night" last week and highly recommend.
post #506 of 579 Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The Black Country Communion and the new Rush Blu rays are both good imho.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #507 of 579 Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Cal68

Pat Methany released The Way Up Blu Ray concert.

Jeff
post #508 of 579 Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Pat Methany released The Way Up Blu Ray concert.

Jeff

And it is outstanding, from a content perspective, and for PQ and AQ. It is one of my favorites. I have watched it more than any other concert Blu-ray, save for David Gilmour's.
post #509 of 579 Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone seen the Robben Ford Blu-ray?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #510 of 579 Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Recently picked up Pink: Funhouse Tour - Live in Australia. AV quality is very solid; maybe not reference, but no significant weaknesses. Pink fans and those that are looking for a good concert blu-ray should pick it up.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page