post #511 of 579 Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMAN777 View Post

I think The Eagles released HD-DVD concert video several years ago, but never released anything on BD? They had several tours during last 5 yrs and I can't believe they never recorded or released any of them on BD!
They have loyal fans who'd definitely be interested.

Led Zeppelin had a reunion a few years ago, but never released any BD that I know of. What a shame. They released Song Remains the same, but that's so long ago, I don't think PQ or AQ is good enough in today's standard.

And these guys are not getting any younger!
I sure hope to see them on BD with excellent PQ and AQ for the first time.

Farewell 1 Tour HD DVD - DTS MA... I converted this to Blu a couple of years ago. It looks and sound incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 579 Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

Recently picked up Pink: Funhouse Tour - Live in Australia. AV quality is very solid; maybe not reference, but no significant weaknesses. Pink fans and those that are looking for a good concert blu-ray should pick it up.

i recorded this from palladia. i'm not a big pink fan but i do like some of her songs. "sober" is very cool to watch with the flying trapeze act and all.
post #513 of 579 Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

The Black Country Communion and the new Rush Blu rays are both good imho.

The reviews on Amazon of the Black Country Communion are telling. Might have to check this one out.
post #514 of 579 Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM

Liked: 13
Sigur Ros "Inni" is available. The audio is truly amazing. The video has been filtered, but matches the audio perfectly. At first I didn't like the filtering, but there are some extra songs without it and I didn't think they matched the atmosphere of the music as well.

Festival from the disc
post #515 of 579 Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post

I can't comment on 2011, but Santana Live at Montreux 2004 is quite good. And it is available now.

Watching this now. (Santana Live At Montreux 2011) With almost 3 hrs of music, it takes a while. Top notch PQ and AQ. Santana fans will want this.
post #516 of 579 Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

anyone get "the scorpions: get your sting & blackout live" bluray? it's a 3d bluray but according to reviewers on amazon, it will play in 2d.
post #517 of 579 Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

anyone get "the scorpions: get your sting & blackout live" bluray? it's a 3d bluray but according to reviewers on amazon, it will play in 2d.

Was interested in this but it got a terrible review for video presentation (2D & 3D) at Blu-ray.com. The audio is very good though. I picked up Motorhead The World Is Ours - Vol. 1 which is excellent.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #518 of 579 Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I also got the Scorpions blu ray but had to return it[twice] due to trouble with the audio starting on track 14[audio kept breaking up].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #519 of 579 Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Was interested in this but it got a terrible review for video presentation (2D & 3D) at Blu-ray.com. The audio is very good though. I picked up Motorhead The World Is Ours - Vol. 1 which is excellent.

i saw that review. i want great video and audio but honestly, if the audio is really good i'll put up with the so-so video quality.

so, does it come with 2 discs? one 2d and one 3d?
post #520 of 579 Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Liked: 22
3 Bigtime Recent Concert Releases on Blu-ray are

Shakira Paris
Kylie Aphrodite
Santana Montreux 2011

Great Video and Sound
post #521 of 579 Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The Scorpions Live in 3D is only 1 disc[both 2D and 3D on the same disc].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #522 of 579 Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

The Scorpions Live in 3D is only 1 disc[both 2D and 3D on the same disc].

thanks kevin j!
post #523 of 579 Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Not very new, but I don't see it mentioned in this thread:

Asia's "Fantasia: Live in Tokyo" was released on Blue a couple of months ago (the DVD came out in 2009). This is "the original members" 25th anniversary tour. Edit: The BD came out in 2009; thanks detroit1 for the correction.

PQ is fine, nothing to write home about, perfectly adequate 1080i.

AQ is AWFUL!

The same mix, apparently, as the DVD, which was widely loathed at the time. The PCM 2.0 is a bit better than the DTS MA and the DD.5.1, but it's all bad. Drums are actually low in the mix, and it's often difficult to hear Steve Howe's guitar.

If you have the DVD and were hoping for an upgrade, don't bother. If you (like me) were waiting for the BD, you'll probably enjoy seeing the guys (Howe seemed to be having more fun than he's had in years), and hearing both the classic Asia stuff and their takes on the member' prog repertory ("Roundabout," "In the Court of the Crimson King," "Fanfare for the Common Man," "Video Killed the Radio Star," etc.).

Performances are occasionally sloppy, as if they were having some trouble hearing each other.

Not a demo disc, but probably required for fans. If you don't love the band or the genre, give it a pass.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #524 of 579 Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got the Richard Thompson Band Live At Celtic Connections blu ray[but haven't watched it yet].

post #525 of 579 Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Not very new, but I don't see it mentioned in this thread:

Asia's "Fantasia: Live in Tokyo" was released on Blue a couple of months ago (the DVD came out in 2009). This is "the original members" 25th anniversary tour.

PQ is fine, nothing to write home about, perfectly adequate 1080i.

AQ is AWFU!

The same mix, apparently, as the DVD, which was widely loathed at the time. The PCM 2.0 is a bit better than the DTS MA and the DD.5.1, but it's all bad. Drums are actually low in the mix, and it's often difficult to hear Steve Howe's guitar.

If you have the DVD and were hoping for an upgrade, don't bother. If you (like me) were waiting for the BD, you'll probably enjoy seeing the guys (Howe seemed to be having more fun than he's had in years), and hearing both the classic Asia stuff and their takes on the member' prog repertory ("Roundabout," "In the Court of the Crimson King," "Fanfare for the Common Man," "Video Killed the Radio Star," etc.).

Performances are occasionally sloppy, as if they were having some trouble hearing each other.

Not a demo disc, but probably required for fans. If you don't love the band or the genre, give it a pass.

Wish I had read your review before I bought it several months ago. I agree with all you said, but even as a fan, I should have passed on it.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #526 of 579 Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigandy View Post

I have and love "The Killers Live At Royal Albert Hall" Great AQ and PQ!

I agree. I think this is my favorite filmed concert. I've been watching it repeatedly.
post #527 of 579 Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Alter Bridge: Live At Wembley has excellent DTS-MA audio and 1080p video. I think its a must own

"If people don't like guitar solos they're...stupid" -Mark Tremonti
post #528 of 579 Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Liked: 22
the ASIA Fantasia has been out on Blu-Ray for 3 years
the Picture Quality is top notch but the 5.1 DTS Audio is the worst Audio on any blu-ray disc period. I have probably listened to over 100 Blu-Ray concerts and this is easily the worst sound ever; the PCM 2 channel is ok; that is the only mix that can be listened to
I have no idea how they could screw up this bad; no one tested the sound before releasing the disc otherwise they would have noticed

I love this quote from a review of this disc by a magazine

Fantasia Live in Tokyo suffers from such flawed audio reproduction one wonders how it could be released in such a manner. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz/24-bit) lossless option is so horrendously unbalanced that the keyboards are disproportionately emphasized, drowning out just about everything else in the mix. Midrange frequencies are tweaked, causing everything to sound boxy, and muddy; separation is indistinct, vocals are drowned out and low frequencies are nearly nonexistent.
post #529 of 579 Old 04-08-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

the ASIA Fantasia has been out on Blu-Ray for 3 years

Thanks for the correction.

I do not understand why so few reviews fail to recognize how bad the sound is; many even praise it!

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #530 of 579 Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone picked up Joe Satriani: Satchurated – Live in Montreal ?

I got my copy and watched it tonight and the picture and sound are very solid and it has 7.1 TrueHD to boot. One odd thing though was the picture doesn't fill the screen, there are narrow bars down the side of the screen. It's not a 4:3 image, my player shows the picture as 1080p24, the picture basically fills 90% of the screen. Like I said, very odd.

post #531 of 579 Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Has anyone picked up Joe Satriani: Satchurated - Live in Montreal ?

I got my copy and watched it tonight and the picture and sound are very solid and it has 7.1 TrueHD to boot. One odd thing though was the picture doesn't fill the screen, there are narrow bars down the side of the screen. It's not a 4:3 image, my player shows the picture as 1080p24, the picture basically fills 90% of the screen. Like I said, very odd.

I picked that up just the other day, but it was tough to find--had to go to two Best Buys, and the second had only two copies left. Haven't watched it yet, but thanks for the warning on the picture--I saw this in the theater, and while I plan on watching it in 3D, I wouldn't appreciate any "territorial range compromises" like you mentioned. I guess I'll see what it looks like when I play it.

post #532 of 579 Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Albert Lee - Tearing it up

New BD release from AIX. This is a sort of "live in studio" presentation, and offers "stage" and "audience" 5.1 mixes.
A must-have for any guitar fan, this is a mix of rockabilly and country tunes. Also includes nearly an hour of bonus content with Albert discussing his amazing career, how he learned to play and about the guitars he has played.
Audio quality is excellent, PQ is average for HD video.
Price and availability seems to vary a lot. Also planned for release as a 2-disc DVD/CD and DVD-A set later this year.

Forgot to mention: the BD also contains a folder of high-res FLAC and MP3 files of all the tunes.
post #533 of 579 Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Frankly I'm kinda shocked at how poor the Blu-ray concert disc selection is, esp in rock with HD audio. Here I thought I was a late comer after just recently last holiday season finally getting equipped for Blu-ray. The movies have a pretty good selection, even more titles and faster availability from Netflix than I'd anticipated.

A neighbor insisted I borrow his Nine Inch Nails Beside You in Time Blu-ray concert disc the other day after I told him I needed a TrueHD BD to test my new BD player settings after finding Panasonic sets their players to down convert DTS HD and TrueHD to Dolby Digital and DTS.

I was blown away by the NIN BD. I'd go so far as to say it rekindled my love for music that had been slowly dying over the years. I set about searching for rock concert BDs specifically with HD audio. There's not only not many rock BDs, there's very few with HD audio.

Why is this? Hell, even the Rush Snakes and Arrows BD is just Dolby Digital 5.1, (unless Netflix's specs on it are wrong), and Rush is pretty particular about how good they sound in concert. Why the hell are these mega wealthy rock legends cheaping out on the most important part of a concert BD, the audio?

Needless to say I have great respect now for Trent Reznor, even though I don't like the spin-off band he and his wife formed at all. At least he's a stickler for giving his fans quality audio, and there's a lot of great songs on BYiT.

So, I really feel the question should be, which I've yet to see asked or listed, what rock concert BDs have HD audio? There's a site called Blu-rayStats.com, with all the BD stats and tons of filters to search with, but I can't figure out how to do a rock BD search for HD audio.
post #534 of 579 Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Check out the 25th Rock & Roll HOF concert, it's dts MA along with the Big4 and the two Styx BD's ...
post #535 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Fan, obviously reading this thread will answer your question. The short answer: almost all BD music discs have HD audio. Including that Rush disc.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #536 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Fan, obviously reading this thread will answer your question. The short answer: almost all BD music discs have HD audio. Including that Rush disc.

True on that Rush disc - though it doesn't help the poor mix! I find the Time Machine BD to be a much, much better mix. Not a ton of bottom end, but way more than the Snakes & Arrows disc.

I just picked up the re-released Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live on BD. They did a pretty nice job with it. The audio sounds fantastic. The PQ is a bit soft, but better than the DVD, and especially better than the VHS that i upgraded from! smile.gif
post #537 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 01:28 AM

Yeah I did end up reading through some of the posts here and used Blu-ray.com's music filter to laborious search through their whole list of music BDs before the above responses to my post. If they have a genre filter, I didn't see it. Since I noted some BDs were listed as having HD audio despite Netflix saying otherwise, I put them in my queue anyway.

After going through the whole list I only came up with these:

Heart: Alive in Seattle
Yes: Live at Montreux
Rush: Snakes and Arrows
The Who: At Kilburn 1977
Santana: Live at Montreux
The Police: Certifiable (release date TBD)

There were some others on the Blu-ray.com list that Netflix either didn't have, or only had the DVD version of. Kind of sad after the NIN BYiT BD rekindled my love for music, I can only come up with older rock discs with songs that I've already heard thousands of times except for Snakes and Arrows, and I only like a few songs off that one.

BTW, can anyone tell me if it's possible that some rental BDs have a different audio format than retail ones? Unlike rental DVDs, rental BDs are blocked from users being able to access the extra content, so I was wondering if they might also have different audio on some.
post #538 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Most all of my BR concert discs have HD audio. Don't forget that if you see PCM listed as an audio choice, that it is also lossless, not just DTSMA & TrueHD.

I sure wish someone would produce a SRV disc on BR!
post #539 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

There were some others on the Blu-ray.com list that Netflix either didn't have, or only had the DVD version of. Kind of sad after the NIN BYiT BD rekindled my love for music, I can only come up with older rock discs with songs that I've already heard thousands of times.

Netflix has pretty much stopped buying concert DVD/BD discs. it's mostly a waste of time looking there.
post #540 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post

True on that Rush disc - though it doesn't help the poor mix! I find the Time Machine BD to be a much, much better mix. Not a ton of bottom end, but way more than the Snakes & Arrows disc.
I just picked up the re-released Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live on BD. They did a pretty nice job with it. The audio sounds fantastic. The PQ is a bit soft, but better than the DVD, and especially better than the VHS that i upgraded from! smile.gif

Agreed on Rush S&A, horrible mix. Good to hear Time Machine has a better mix, I will check it out. Just got Secret World in the mail yesterday and looking forward to it.......have always loved my dvd copy.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page