any blu-ray concert dvd's - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The Stone Temple Pilots BD is excellent! AQ and PQ. Most Eagle Rock BDs are solid, especially if they're recently "filmed" (videoed?).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is it Blu-ray in general has such attrition regarding concert material, HD audio or not? It's a way better format than DVD for showing everything in HD. Also, anyone know of a place that rents BDs that has a good selection of rock concert discs?
post #543 of 579 Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

Why is it Blu-ray in general has such attrition regarding concert material, HD audio or not? It's a way better format than DVD for showing everything in HD. Also, anyone know of a place that rents BDs that has a good selection of rock concert discs?

The answer always has to do with money. Sales have to be high enough to justify the high costs of creating the release. Concerts on DVD were never a big seller either, but were cheaper to make and sell.
post #544 of 579 Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hi,

Has anyone seen this disc yet? Robert Plant & The Band Of Joy Live from the Artists Den?

Was picking up a Harmony remote at Best Buy and grabbed it. Nice playlist. Was surprised to see it. DTS HD 5.1 77 minutes.

1. Black Dog
2. Angel Dance
3. Houses of the Holy
4. House of Cards
5. Cindy, I'll marry you someday
6. Satan Your Kingdom must come down
7. Somewhere trouble don't go
8. Tangerine
9. A satisfied mind
10. Move up
11. Down to the sea
12. Ramble on
13. Gallows Pole
14. In the mood
15. Rock and Roll
16. I bid you goodnight

Gonna start programming the Harmony but will pop it in. May need to do another critical listen after the remote.

Hope it's great!!! Will report back.

Rick

post #545 of 579 Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Prince - Sign 'O' the Times Bluray
Amazing documentation of an amzing tour.
This region free AUS release is well worth the import price.
SOTT has never looked or sounded this good.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/pre-order/sign-o-the-times-blu-ray/665815

post #546 of 579 Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 12
Heads up for Pat Metheny fans who might have missed this. The Orchestrion Project will finally be released on 10/9/12. Looking forward to this blu-ray!
post #547 of 579 Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 54
For those fans who haven't checked it out yet, Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live BD is phenomenal. Gabriel in his prime, with Paula Cole providing backup vocals - can't get much better than that!
post #548 of 579 Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

Heads up for Pat Metheny fans who might have missed this. The Orchestrion Project will finally be released on 10/9/12. Looking forward to this blu-ray!
FINALLY!!!! It's great timing since I will be seeing him LIVE in concert on Saturday the 6th.biggrin.gif

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #549 of 579 Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Somehow the Rockwell benefit concert from 2009 made it to Blu-ray. It's a strange roster of performers, from Robert Plant and Tom Jones, to Joss Stone and David Gray. Robert Plant's three songs are the highlight of the show.
post #550 of 579 Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM

How is the concert? Saw them right as they were breaking back in the day...
post #551 of 579 Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrogs View Post

Clicking the name of the concert might give you a more detailed impression of my thoughts on Rockwell.wink.gif Most of the performers seem into it and give solid performances, though one might quibble with the song selection. Joss Stone probably steals the show, she outperforms the others even though Plant is no slouch. I would probably only recommend a blind purchase if one of the featured artists is a personal favorite.
post #552 of 579 Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrogs View Post

The band was tight and the sound was great. I was just a wee bit disappointed that he didn't play any longer....only 1 hr and 20 mins including encore. The highlight of the show was the unveiling (at that concert) of the Orchestrion and the encore, AYGWM. From his new disc, Roof Dogs is the best.
I drove 5 hrs for an hour and a half of music and would do it again. Guess that means I liked it.

post #553 of 579 Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Nov 6
post #554 of 579 Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Probably bad form on my part, but I'm just going to paste my Amazon review of Pat Metheny's "Orchestrion Project" BD here:

5.0 out of 5 stars
Like Nothing You've Ever Seen,
October 11, 2012
By R. D. Clark (Wide awake on the edge of the world.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Orchestrion Project [3D/Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Note: My review is based on viewing the Blu-ray Disc in 2D only; I have not seen it in 3D.

This is a fascinating and unusual performance, unlike anything else you've ever seen. For those who followed the progress of this project from its inception and hoped to see it thoroughly documented, it will be very satisfying.

Very briefly, the "Orchestrion" is an immense assemblage of mechanized musical instruments, largely custom designed and built specifically for this project by a number of different artisans in consultation with Metheny. These instruments are "played" in real time by a combination of computer-controlled scores and realtime control. In performance, the majority of the music (all composed and scored by Metheny) is played on the Orchestrion by a computer, while Metheny plays the guitar parts (and some other parts, remote-controlled from his MIDI guitar) live.

This disc, then, is a film of Metheny and the Orchestrion performing the same program seen on his 2010 concert tour, but it's not recorded live in concert. Instead, the rig was set up in a former church in Brooklyn (the same space where he had originally set it up to rehearse for the tour), in such a way as to put Metheny at the center of the sound while optimizing the Orchestrion visually for the camera.

Standing at the center of this amazing construct of tuned and untuned percussion, modified guitars and basses, a "wind organ," pianos, electronics, invented instruments -- dozens, hundreds of individual sound sources -- Pat performs each piece complete, with no audience but the cameras and crew. The performances are as they would be in concert, but knowing that re-takes were possible, he says, allowed him to "take chances," to give each piece everything he had, all informed by the experience of hundreds of live performances over the previous year.

The result is a unique document. The filmmakers never lose sight of Pat Metheny as the living soul and central performer, but as the program progresses you will get clear visuals of all the various mechanisms, instruments, and devices that are the Orchestrion in a way that was never possible at the concerts (even from the fourth row, as I can testify).

The 1080p video is framed at 1.66:1 (sometimes seen in European theatrical films, not sure why it was used here), so on a standard HD screen there are narrow vertical black bars at the sides. Quality is top notch, with well saturated color and very little grain. There are some stylistic choices that one might quibble with -- more hand-held camerawork than some might like; some overly dramatic lighting at times -- but these aren't quality issues. In general, throughout, you can see everything, and it remains visually interesting.

The lossless 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio is spectacular. It's mixed as true surround, with instruments in every channel, and it's never less than perfectly clear, and perfectly balanced -- which is an incredible achievement given the number of sounds going on at once, the similarity of many of their timbres, and the unusual nature of some of them. Pat's guitar is always clear and centered but never overpowering.

There is also a PCM 2.0 track which I sampled to confirm that it seems to sound correct, but didn't listen to.

The program is divided into two parts. The first replicated the content of the original Orchestrion CD; the second, "bonus tracks," consists of pieces Metheny worked up for the concert tour, in which he works more interactively with the Orchestrion.

There are a number of excellent extras as well. Those that explain the project and how the film was made are so well done and informative that I might recommend they they be viewed first by people completely unfamiliar with the project. Others include two complete videos of the studio recording of pieces for the original CD -- and it's instructive to compare how those pieces have evolved between those versions and the "mature" ones performed in the finished film.

I understand that not everyone is a fan of this particular Pat Metheny project, for various reasons. Personally, I think Orchestrion accomplishes several goals. First, It showcases his talent as a composer, which he demonstrates by not just writing music for a collection of instruments that never before existed in the world, but also by actually causing those instruments to exist. Second, it's a unique context for listening to him play in a way that's very different from the way he plays with other musicians. Finally, especially in some of the improvisational pieces, it highlights a dimension of his genius that might have gone otherwise unnoticed: his ability to multithread musically, to hold more than one musical voice in his head at a time and to improvise between them. It's something you have to see and hear to understand, and something like Orchestrion is perhaps the only avenue for this sort of ability to be expressed.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #555 of 579 Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73

Roxy Music Live at the Apollo - concert in 2001. Good PQ and AQ. The mix was somewhat laid back which just may have been due to the actual board setup at the concert, but still sounded good. Very good show! The extra musicians really filled out the sound compared to their early recordings. The woman on keyboards/electronics and violin was a big addition as was the keyboard/piano player who, from what it sounded like when Ferry introduced him, also did all the arrangements the show.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #556 of 579 Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM

I agree with everything you have said, but especially with two parts.
It IS unlike ANYTHING you have ever seen. One of the most amazing feats ever accomplished.
Secondly, the Orchestrion has matured greatly. When you compare this bluray with the original cd, it is like daylight and dark.
I just saw Pat in concert last week. He played a couple of pieces which included the Orchestrion, the first of which highlighted it. It was without doubt, the most haunting and maybe the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.
Thanks for the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Probably bad form on my part, but I'm just going to paste my Amazon review of Pat Metheny's "Orchestrion Project" BD here:
5.0 out of 5 stars
Like Nothing You've Ever Seen,
October 11, 2012
By R. D. Clark (Wide awake on the edge of the world.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Orchestrion Project [3D/Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Note: My review is based on viewing the Blu-ray Disc in 2D only; I have not seen it in 3D.
This is a fascinating and unusual performance, unlike anything else you've ever seen. For those who followed the progress of this project from its inception and hoped to see it thoroughly documented, it will be very satisfying.
Very briefly, the "Orchestrion" is an immense assemblage of mechanized musical instruments, largely custom designed and built specifically for this project by a number of different artisans in consultation with Metheny. These instruments are "played" in real time by a combination of computer-controlled scores and realtime control. In performance, the majority of the music (all composed and scored by Metheny) is played on the Orchestrion by a computer, while Metheny plays the guitar parts (and some other parts, remote-controlled from his MIDI guitar) live.
This disc, then, is a film of Metheny and the Orchestrion performing the same program seen on his 2010 concert tour, but it's not recorded live in concert. Instead, the rig was set up in a former church in Brooklyn (the same space where he had originally set it up to rehearse for the tour), in such a way as to put Metheny at the center of the sound while optimizing the Orchestrion visually for the camera.
Standing at the center of this amazing construct of tuned and untuned percussion, modified guitars and basses, a "wind organ," pianos, electronics, invented instruments -- dozens, hundreds of individual sound sources -- Pat performs each piece complete, with no audience but the cameras and crew. The performances are as they would be in concert, but knowing that re-takes were possible, he says, allowed him to "take chances," to give each piece everything he had, all informed by the experience of hundreds of live performances over the previous year.
The result is a unique document. The filmmakers never lose sight of Pat Metheny as the living soul and central performer, but as the program progresses you will get clear visuals of all the various mechanisms, instruments, and devices that are the Orchestrion in a way that was never possible at the concerts (even from the fourth row, as I can testify).
The 1080p video is framed at 1.66:1 (sometimes seen in European theatrical films, not sure why it was used here), so on a standard HD screen there are narrow vertical black bars at the sides. Quality is top notch, with well saturated color and very little grain. There are some stylistic choices that one might quibble with -- more hand-held camerawork than some might like; some overly dramatic lighting at times -- but these aren't quality issues. In general, throughout, you can see everything, and it remains visually interesting.
The lossless 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio is spectacular. It's mixed as true surround, with instruments in every channel, and it's never less than perfectly clear, and perfectly balanced -- which is an incredible achievement given the number of sounds going on at once, the similarity of many of their timbres, and the unusual nature of some of them. Pat's guitar is always clear and centered but never overpowering.
There is also a PCM 2.0 track which I sampled to confirm that it seems to sound correct, but didn't listen to.
The program is divided into two parts. The first replicated the content of the original Orchestrion CD; the second, "bonus tracks," consists of pieces Metheny worked up for the concert tour, in which he works more interactively with the Orchestrion.
There are a number of excellent extras as well. Those that explain the project and how the film was made are so well done and informative that I might recommend they they be viewed first by people completely unfamiliar with the project. Others include two complete videos of the studio recording of pieces for the original CD -- and it's instructive to compare how those pieces have evolved between those versions and the "mature" ones performed in the finished film.
I understand that not everyone is a fan of this particular Pat Metheny project, for various reasons. Personally, I think Orchestrion accomplishes several goals. First, It showcases his talent as a composer, which he demonstrates by not just writing music for a collection of instruments that never before existed in the world, but also by actually causing those instruments to exist. Second, it's a unique context for listening to him play in a way that's very different from the way he plays with other musicians. Finally, especially in some of the improvisational pieces, it highlights a dimension of his genius that might have gone otherwise unnoticed: his ability to multithread musically, to hold more than one musical voice in his head at a time and to improvise between them. It's something you have to see and hear to understand, and something like Orchestrion is perhaps the only avenue for this sort of ability to be expressed.

post #557 of 579 Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Should be getting the Rollings Stones 1965 Ireland BD in a few days. Very excited
post #558 of 579 Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Dream Theater: Live at the Budokan

Watched this title last night and was blown away. I am not familiar with this band at all, but it did not matter. The musicianship on display was absolutely incredible. The PQ was excellent as far as concerts go and the AQ is one of the best I have heard period. The recording/mix on this one is TOP notch and I was constantly amazed at what this mix was able to accomplish. Great stuff though and one of the best concert experiences (along with Peter Gabriel Secret World the night before) I have had in my HT.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #559 of 579 Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Been waiting so patiently for a Coldplay concert on Blu-ray. The show from 2003 on DVD has been a staple in my collection at least twice a month but where the hell was the next show?? Nine years?

Finally!!! This tour for the latest album was also one of the best live shows I have ever seen. Simply awesome. Hope it comes to Blu as a quality disc!!

Thanksgiving week.Yippee!!

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a408140/coldplay-to-release-live-2012-dvd-blu-ray-watch-trailer.html

Rick

post #560 of 579 Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Been waiting so patiently for a Coldplay concert on Blu-ray. The show from 2003 on DVD has been a staple in my collection at least twice a month but where the hell was the next show?? Nine years?
Finally!!! This tour for the latest album was also one of the best live shows I have ever seen. Simply awesome. Hope it comes to Blu as a quality disc!!
Thanksgiving week.Yippee!!
http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a408140/coldplay-to-release-live-2012-dvd-blu-ray-watch-trailer.html
Rick

Picked it up today. Dang, been waiting for a Blu-ray show for so long but must admit I was a bit let down with the video. A lot of grain. Times when it looked great and not that it was terrible but I expected more based on the fact they have one DVD and now finally Blu-ray.

I will have to go with 3.75 to 3.95 for video but need to watch again. The audio and the show itself was fantastic. The audio is as I expected. Stellar and the stage production and show itself is awesome but it is also a documentary with Chris talking between every two or three songs. I did not listen and you can forward to next musical track. I would have preferred a concert and leave the documentary stuff (called intermissions. I think five) as extras. Audio 4 to 4.50 (need another viewing)

If you have never caught a Coldplay show I recommend this disk. The Audio is great. The video is acceptable and at times excellent. I have so many concerts and many with near perfect video that I am a bit let down here. The music makes up for any video negatives (which is sometimes excellent).

It also comes with a CD so might be an added bonus to some.

Very talented group and still recommended for Coldplay virgins. Great show and still one of the best if not the best show I have seen (live this tour). I still remember a Yes show I went to in the 80s that might be the best. Seen a lot of them.....

Now off to Led Zep which I also purchased today.

Edit: watched a partial 2nd viewing. I did bump up the video score. It did view better the second time but think it could have been more. It still is an excellent show and great audio.

Rick

post #561 of 579 Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 416
If you guys had to compare this recording/mix to another blu ray concert in your collection, what would it compare to? Curious to hear more about the audio on this title.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #562 of 579 Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I haven't had time to review this thread recently, but I highly want to recommend the Bluray of Los Lobos' "Kiko Live". This is a fantastic composition that has been a favorite of mine for a long time. It's a complex work and to see it performed was exciting. The video isn't the best, but it's not the worst, and the sound quality is fine.

You'll notice that they fade out and in between each song. Kiko is one of those albums where I believe you have to listen to start to finish each time. The cuts between songs on the video work for me here because there is often a lot of setup required to play the next song, and it keeps a continuity going with the music. I suspect this was a special performance for purposes of making the Bluray and not just another gig, and that the audience was made aware up front there'd often be breaks between songs being played. Speculation on my part.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #563 of 579 Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Has anyone seen this concert on Blu-Ray yet?

https://sullyernaavalon.com/dnn/store/tabid/1980/categoryid/2/productid/6/default.aspx

I e-mailed their customer service department asking what lossless sound format they used and they told me it was in DTS. The concert looked and sounded pretty good on Palladia.

"Maybe poker's just not your game...I know, lets have a spelling contest."
post #564 of 579 Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM

bump

"Maybe poker's just not your game...I know, lets have a spelling contest."
post #565 of 579 Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 11
Checked out my Adele Blu-ray Saturday night with the new plasma screen; actually the first Blu-ray disc I bought. Very well done. I think the new screen might reflect some of the cameras used possibly not being as top notch as the main cameras, but I’m only guessing. Overall the sound and picture seem pretty fabulous. Maybe not on par with the best movies on Blu-ray, but not too shabby.

Great thread. I have a few concert DVD’s that I’ve really enjoyed. I’ll have to keep an eye out for some of the recommendations here if I decide to pick up any more. Billy Joel and NIN sound like a couple I might enjoy (as radically different as those may be).
post #566 of 579 Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I picked up Mumford and Sons for my wife, and even though they're not strictly my thing, the disc is excellent. It has to be among the top live concert blu-rays available. Here's the blu-ray.com review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mumford-and-Sons-The-Road-to-Red-Rocks-Blu-ray/58825/#Review
post #567 of 579 Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Liked: 11
I saw that on Amazon; might have to check it out! I vacationed to Colorado last summer and hit the Red Rocks for a show during my trip. I’m guessing it makes for a stunning Blu-ray if it features the venue at all.
post #568 of 579 Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Armin van Buuren's "Mirage", while unfortunately not lossless, is a great production.

Awesome to get a party started.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ITWEL2

Sent from my Xperia Arc S using Tapatalk 2
post #569 of 579 Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I would suggest Trilogy, by The Cure. A very nice disc, all around.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #570 of 579 Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

I saw that on Amazon; might have to check it out! I vacationed to Colorado last summer and hit the Red Rocks for a show during my trip. I’m guessing it makes for a stunning Blu-ray if it features the venue at all.

It's got some establishing shots at the beginning and end that are pretty nice, but it's mostly about the band. Unlike the Adele concert, there are continuous cuts of footage that are 3 to 4 seconds in length, enabling even non ADD-afflicted viewers to enjoy the show wink.gif
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page