Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post

It's not a pre-order. Only notification of availability

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Live-Wig...9387690&sr=1-8

If that isn't a pre order I'll eat a stack of Pete Townsend's guitar picks.

Dan Sholtis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #153 of 579 Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Was_There_Then View Post

Have there been any other instances where region free blu-rays have had this problem?? Seems quite unique??

I believe the Keane Blu-ray also has this problem. It is true that this type of release is relatively rare as, most Blu-rays are put on the disc as 1080p at 24 frames a second which can be played worldwide on any display or player.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #154 of 579 Old 12-15-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Live-Wig...9387690&sr=1-8

If that isn't a pre order I'll eat a stack of Pete Townsend's guitar picks.

He's probably referring to the US site that is a little behind the UK. It has only a sign-up for notification of availability.

As a big fan of The Who, I'm sort of embarrassed to say I have never seen this concert, which I know is legendary. Can someone tell me a little about the performance? Is it really that great? How does it compare to Kilburn? What about the filming techniques? Is it straight concert or are there interruptions for interviews, etc. Thanks.
post #155 of 579 Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post

He's probably referring to the US site that is a little behind the UK. It has only a sign-up for notification of availability.

As a big fan of The Who, I'm sort of embarrassed to say I have never seen this concert, which I know is legendary. Can someone tell me a little about the performance? Is it really that great? How does it compare to Kilburn? What about the filming techniques? Is it straight concert or are there interruptions for interviews, etc. Thanks.

Found this on another site regarding this BD concert:

Quote:

This new edition of Murray Lerner's film of The Who's legendary performance at the 1970 Isle Of Wight Festival features newly restored pictures and remixed sound along with exclusive bonus features to finally give this amazing concert the quality release it deserves. Originally shot on 16mm film, the pictures have been restored to the highest possible quality for this Blu-ray release. Accept no substitute and play it loud!

Tracklisting: 'Heaven And Hell', 'I Can't Explain', 'Young Man Blues', 'I Don't Even Know Myself', 'Water', 'Medley: Shakin' All Over/Spoonful/Twist and Shout', 'Summertime Blues', 'My Generation', 'Magic Bus', 'Overture (Tommy)', 'It's a Boy', 'Eyesight to the Blind (The Hawker)', 'Christmas', 'The Acid Queen', 'Pinball Wizard', 'Do You Think It's Alright?', 'Fiddle About', 'Go to the Mirror', 'Miracle Cure', 'I'm Free', 'We're Not Gonna Take It', 'See Me Feel Me/Listening to You' and 'Tommy Can You Hear Me?'.

Special Features

* Bonus tracks omitted from the original film: 1. Substitute 2. Naked Eye
* New 40 minute interview with Pete Townshend

Dan Sholtis

post #156 of 579 Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Eric Clapton's One More Car, One more Rider is probably my favorite concert DVD.

The sound is simply incredible in the DTS track. If you have a capable receiver and good speakers with a sub, this sound comes to life.

Also, I have watched this DVD probably 100 times and there is a guy that plays the organ, and he does a song towards the end of it. i was always impressed with him. He had so much fun playing the music. Then I find out yesterday that this guy is some kind of legend in his own right..... Billy Preston. Played for something like 35 years.

Funny how this guy just struck me as very good, and well, it turns out it is because he was really good. Great musicians just have something and he had it.

By the way, Clapton has it as well. Dont miss out on this DVD.
post #157 of 579 Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speaking of Billy Preston, I wouldn't mind having The Concert for George on BD. Preston does a great job with "My Sweet Lord."

There are some clips of this on YouTube if you want to check this out.
post #158 of 579 Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post

Eric Clapton's One More Car, One more Rider is probably my favorite concert DVD.

Yeah that's an amazing DVD. I'd buy that in a second on BD. That live version of Reptile is one of my favorite songs ever. I want to buy a Yacht and just drive around listening to that on repeat for the rest of my life.
post #159 of 579 Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post

The sound is simply incredible in the DTS track. If you have a capable receiver and good speakers with a sub, this sound comes to life.

Another +1 for this. It would be hard to imagine the sound being any better on blu-ray if it is released, as the DTS track on the DVD is true reference quality. There are a ton of great tracks on it, but I tend to come back to "Change the World" a lot, which has a cool arrangement and in addition to Clapton's awesome performance (and the other band members), I love how the drums sound and how tight the bass is on this DVD.

post #160 of 579 Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

Another +1 for this. It would be hard to imagine the sound being any better on blu-ray if it is released, as the DTS track on the DVD is true reference quality. There are a ton of great tracks on it, but I tend to come back to "Change the World" a lot, which has a cool arrangement and in addition to Clapton's awesome performance (and the other band members), I love how the drums sound and how tight the bass is on this DVD.

Yup, certainly one of the best DVD's for AQ and a fantastic show to boot!

Billy Preston ( known as the 5th Beatle) passed away June 2006 due to complications from Diabetes, what a loss to music, he is sadly missed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Preston
post #161 of 579 Old 12-18-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Speaking of Billy Preston, I wouldn't mind having The Concert for George on BD. Preston does a great job with "My Sweet Lord."

There are some clips of this on YouTube if you want to check this out.

+1 on that. That whole concert is excellent. Emotional too!

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #162 of 579 Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Tom Petty,Sheryl Crow soundstage(s)---just came out and are available at Sears. Great concerts with excellent video & audio.
post #163 of 579 Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

Man, I hope they do a re-issue for NTSC locales... I'm a fan, and I'd gladly buy the disc, but only if I can actually PLAY it!

It was announced for the US before the UK release but then it never came out. I don't know what happened. I was this close to importing it to but I'm glad I waited since it apparently doesn't even work.
post #164 of 579 Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Logan View Post

Tom Petty,Sheryl Crow soundstage(s)---just came out and are available at Sears. Great concerts with excellent video & audio.

I agree!
PCM 5.1 Lossless audio on BoS so vibrant and transparent.
I picked up Best of Soundstage just for Steve Winwood's Dear Mr. Fantasy. A virtuoso performance on that Sea Foam Green Stratocaster!

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers DTS HD-MA 5.1 another audio and video masterpiece.
You can't go wrong with any of the Soundstage Blu-rays.
Tom Petty is a must!

S550 analog-->Sony TAP-9000ES analog preamp-->Aragon 8008X5-->PSB Stratus Gold and Silver, Infinity SM125 surrounds. Subs-SVS PB2+,16-46PC,
16-46PC+

You're still here? Go buy one or two!
post #165 of 579 Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

The Strat Pack 50th anniversary is an excellent BD with great PQ and AQ

Good to see them ol' timers still performing!!!
post #166 of 579 Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM

Foo Fighters: Live at Wembly is incredible! Not to mention the special guests they have show up unannounced...

I'm definitely getting NIN and The Police after reading this thread..
post #167 of 579 Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM

I got these for Christmas...
Divertimenti- DTS Master Audio sounds INCREDIBLE!!! At 24bit/192kHz I don't see how much better surround music can get. For some dumb reason I can't get the other audio tracks to play properly or at all. Dolby TrueHD only plays stereo instead of 5.1 and LPCM doesn't play at all. I don't see how they could sound much different given that they are all 24bit/192kHz. I will try and putz around with my blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD30) and/or pre/pro (Integra DTC-9.8) to try to figure it out but if anyone can help (Kal?) it would be greatly appreciated.
B.B. King-Live- I only listened to a few tracks briefly but this doesn't sound as good as I would have thought for such a small venue. I also didn't listen to it at reference level which changed my opinion about The Police-Certifiable concert. Maybe on my next day off I will give it a whirl.
Live from Abbey Road-Season One- IMO the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is the way to go with this one. The DTS-HD Master Audio is not as loud or clear as the Dolby TrueHD. This disc may be my new favorite blu-ray concert. Everything sounded VERY natural and real. You could hear every detail right down to Josh Groban breath hitting the microphone. Craig David (Hypnotic), Josh Groban (February song), Nerina Pallot (Idaho) and of course David Gilmour (On and Island) are my favorite tracks. THIS IS A MUST HAVE DISC!!!
Legends: Live at Montreaux- I have not had the opportunity to listen to this one yet but with Eric Clapton, Marcus Miller, David Sanborn and DTS-HD Master Audio it can't be all that bad.
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons- Acoustic Reality Experience- I must have at least 6 or 7 different versions of The Four Seasons ranging from CD to SACD stereo and multi-ch and now this. With DTS-HD Master Audio this is now the ultimate Vivaldi experience. You can hear every bow gliding across the violin with such detail.

Enjoy!!

"Maybe poker's just not your game...I know, lets have a spelling contest."
post #168 of 579 Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 AM

seriouspost:

Girls Aloud: Live From the O2 2008 owns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangled_Up_Tour_(DVD)
post #169 of 579 Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone check out the Blue Man Group blu ray (How to be a Mega Rock Star...I think)?
post #170 of 579 Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM

Has anyone tried the O.A.R. concert from MSG....the regular DVD is awesome sound quality! I was wondering any blu observations?
post #171 of 579 Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

Did anyone check out the Blue Man Group blu ray (How to be a Mega Rock Star...I think)?

Just watched this last night....Fantastic! A/V quality are both excelent IMHO. Audio in particular is just awesome (I used the PCM 5.1 track). Nice strong, clean, tight and punchy low end. Very wide soundstage and everything sounds very clear. Vocals are mixed well. The surrounds are used aggressively for a concert mix, but considering the material it seems completely appropriate IMO and I thought it was done very well. The surround use gives the track a 3d type sound design that works very well for the material. Check it out!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #172 of 579 Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 PM

I picked up the Best of Sound Stage and man they should be releasing all the concerts lol. Fantastic audio and video. I think I am going to start playing this one while guests roll in and I am working the popcorn machine. Something for everyone on here...

post #173 of 579 Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

So I was trying to watch the Jethro Tull BD on my PS3 and I keep getting an error. It says "Video cannot be played 8000somethingsomething" Has anyone had this experience? How did you resolve it?
post #174 of 579 Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm expecting delivery of my first Blu-Ray player (an Oppo 83) next week and have some novice questions regarding concert Blu-Rays. - Any chance of getting BRs of the Rolling Stones (other than "Shine a Light", which I understand is pretty sad), Grateful Dead, John Denver, Johnny Cash, Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, etc. Other folk, C&W or Bluegrass groups? How about Christmas music, e.g., from King's College, Westminster Cathedral, etc.?

I'm also into classical, opera, ballet, etc., but understand that that's in another forum section.

Thanks for any suggestions. If I'm in the wrong place, please tell me where to go.

Jim Cate
post #175 of 579 Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

I'm also into classical, opera, ballet, etc., but understand that that's in another forum section.

Thanks for any suggestions. If I'm in the wrong place, please tell me where to go.

Jim Cate

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1125835

"Maybe poker's just not your game...I know, lets have a spelling contest."
post #176 of 579 Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm expecting delivery of my first Blu-Ray player (an Oppo 83) next week and have some novice questions regarding concert Blu-Rays. - Any chance of getting BRs of the Rolling Stones (other than "Shine a Light", which I understand is pretty sad), Grateful Dead, John Denver, Johnny Cash, Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, etc. Other folk, C&W or Bluegrass groups? How about Christmas music, e.g., from King's College, Westminster Cathedral, etc.?

Jim Cate

Stones are coming out with a BD version of the Biggest Bang in June. Then there is Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden and Nighwish also coming out with BDs in the next month or so. I have even seen a listing for a Black Crows BD as well.

Dan Sholtis

post #177 of 579 Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I've said this before, but I really hope that Robert Plant and Alison Krauss had one of their concerts shot in HD during their tour.

Gimme Shelter was one of the titles that were floated about as possible Criterion releases when they started, but we haven't heard anything since.
post #178 of 579 Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Biggest Bang BD's only the Austin show not the whole boxed set.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #179 of 579 Old 05-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jim Cate

No Blu-ray folk music, country western, bluegrass, or Christmas music?

Jim
post #180 of 579 Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

Yes, yes yes, this is awesome, everyone should really get it. How to be a megastar. Also, Dreamgirls is great too.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page