post #181 of 579 Old 05-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

No Blu-ray folk music, country western, bluegrass, or Christmas music?

Jim

I do not think you will find much of any of these. I rent, or buy, many types of Blu-ray concerts and have not seen any of these types. Of this group, I would think there would be at least some county western concerts in HD, but not so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 579 Old 05-16-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only thing I can think of that's remotely similar is The Last Waltz, which has appearances from Emmylou Harris and Joni Mitchell.
post #183 of 579 Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

The Biggest Bang BD's only the Austin show not the whole boxed set.

that is sad... I liked the SuperBowl show and the other locations that were filmed in the Best Buy box set
post #184 of 579 Old 05-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

From Bluray.com: Rolling Stones Biggest Bang Blu ray disc

The Rolling Stones: The Biggest Bang

Tracks:

Austin, Texas - Full Concert - 93 mins.

01 Opening
02 You Got Me Rocking
03 Lets Spend The Night Together
04 Shes So Cold
05 Oh No. Not You Again
06 Sway
07 Bob Wills Is Still The King
08 Streets Of Love
09 Aint Too Proud To Beg
10 Tumbling Dice
11 Learning The Game
12 Little T & A
13 Under My Thumb
14 Get Off My Cloud
15 Honky Tonk Women
16 Sympathy For The Devil
17 Jumpin Jack Flash
18 (I Cant Get No) Satisfaction
19 Brown Sugar

Salt Of The Earth: A Bigger Bang Tour Documentary - 70 mins.

20 How Did It Begin?
21 North American Tour
22 Super Bowl
23 Back Of My Hand
24 Rio
25 China
26 Milan
27 Buenos Aires
28 Midnight Rambler
29 Last Show

30 Austin Featurette (Bonus Feature - 6 mins.)

(Bonus Songs: Saitama Super Arena, Saitama Japan - 13 mins.)

31 Lets Spend The Night Together
32 Rain Fall Down
33 Rough Justice
post #185 of 579 Old 05-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Thanks, was trying to find the setlist for this..
post #186 of 579 Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrogs View Post

Thanks, was trying to find the setlist for this..

your welcome...If this quality is like Shine A Light, I will definatley purchase this
post #187 of 579 Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 PM

I am going out on a limb here and must suggest K.D. Lang "Live in London with the BBC concert orchestra".

I have been sitting on this one for a few weeks and finally cracked it open and took it for a spin.

Fantastic. I don't know where the voice comes from in this woman. You would swear she is lip syncing her voice is so pure. This disc will really give you some great audio to enjoy yourself or to show to friends.
The vocals are the high-light and the BBC team is dang good as well.

Very good video quality my first spin through but I need to see it again.

My speakers are eating this disc up

Try it if your in the mood for something different as the audio and vocals are first rate.

Rick
post #188 of 579 Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey gang,

I looked around a little bit for a concert BluRay that made good use of my new setup. I was particularly interested in how my rear speakers would handle this new hi-rez audio, but also wanted to hear what Dolby TrueHD sounded like on my system.

I just got a copy of Dave Matthews BR from Netflix and popped it in and was surprised that there was not that much coming from the surround speakers. Is this normal?

My setup:
Pioneer SC-05 AVR with PS3
B&W 600 series L/C/R
Orb audio surrounds.

Are there any other BR's that make full use of the surround speakers when listening one one of the new hi-rez audio formats?

Thanks!
Aaron
post #189 of 579 Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There are 3 basic ways to mix multi channel: 1) discreet instruments in channels and 2) rears as natural hall ambiance and 3) a mix of the two.

This disc uses #2. How could it use #1 or #3 since there are only 2 instruments (3 counting vocals)?
post #190 of 579 Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Hey gang,

I looked around a little bit for a concert BluRay that made good use of my new setup. I was particularly interested in how my rear speakers would handle this new hi-rez audio, but also wanted to hear what Dolby TrueHD sounded like on my system.

I just got a copy of Dave Matthews BR from Netflix and popped it in and was surprised that there was not that much coming from the surround speakers. Is this normal?

My setup:
Pioneer SC-05 AVR with PS3
B&W 600 series L/C/R
Orb audio surrounds.

Are there any other BR's that make full use of the surround speakers when listening one one of the new hi-rez audio formats?

Thanks!
Aaron

Check out the blueman group BR........if my memory is right, there is quite a bit going on in the surrounds on that concert.

As for Dave and Tim, it is 2 guitars and vocals and they are going for a conventional mix with instruments/vocals in the front and ambiance in the rears. This show would not sound "right" if they mixed instruments to any significant degree in the rears.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #191 of 579 Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies. The mixing does make sense and now I understand that the front soundstage is really the only option.
post #192 of 579 Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When Stop Making Sense comes out, it may have two different mixes if they keep them from the DVD. One of them was a "feature film" mix which had ambience/crowd noise in the surrounds, while the other was a "studio" mix which had some instrument placement in the surrounds.
post #193 of 579 Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

blu-ray.com is reporting that Tom Petty has a new monster collection coming.

Tom Petty: The Live Anthology

62 song collection from 1978-2007 live recordings. The deluxe box set of this compilation will include a Blu-ray Audio Disc featuring all tracks in both High Resolution Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound.

Additionally, the set will include:

Five CDs
Two live DVDs
An Lp of the 1976 Official Live Leg bootleg

There is supposed to be more info at tompetty.com but the flash over there is on amphetamines when I visited so I don't know what it says.
post #194 of 579 Old 09-06-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
There are plenty of excellent concerts in BD:

Shakira, The Police, Chris Botti (2 of them), Diana Krall, Dave Mathews, Andrea Bocelli Vivere, Celine Dion ( A New Day), Queen, Destiny Childs, Beyonce, A tribute to Pavarotti, Santana, Stevie Wonder, Ricky Martin, Barbara Streisand, Julieta Venegas MTV Unplugged, Vicente Fernandez Primera Fila...

These to me are some of the bests that I have in my collection...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #195 of 579 Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Foo Fighters Live at Wembley - Amazing show. Theres big rock acts thes days, then theres the Foo Fighters, which outsell almost everyone, and deservedly so, their music is honest and consistently high quality.

For this show, They fill up Wembley stadium with 60000 fans and put on a show for the ages. At one point Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones come on stage and play "Ramble On" and "Rock and Roll". But the real star is this amazing rock band that came out of the remnants of Nirvana, the Foo Fighters!

The production of this concert video is nice, with 25 or so cameras some of them way overhead and some zooming around on cables. It is not one of those "studio" productions with the tight bass and superb lighting, there is not much "screen pop" on this Blue-Ray. Its more of an authentic recording, with distorting rock amps and heat and sweat in the air. So as long as your fine with that, this is a great Blu-Ray.

A few low-quality youtubes from this show:

"Everlong":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTUrqmwJVg

"My Hero":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_pOS9hXczE

"Rock and Roll" with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WFw7rgPumY
post #196 of 579 Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 AM

My husband has the Chris Botti in Boston Blu-Ray and just loves it. I'm trying to find if there's anything comperable to this to buy him for Christmas. His main interest is really really good audio quality. I've searched the other forums here and wasn't sure about a couple. There seem to be mixed reviews on the David Foster Hitman Blu-Ray. Are there any others that people would recommend. He tends to like jazz or instrumental type stuff. Any help is appreciated.
post #197 of 579 Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Showcase Legends Of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis He'll love you for it and it's getting hard to find.
post #198 of 579 Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by discfinder View Post

My husband has the Chris Botti in Boston Blu-Ray and just loves it. I'm trying to find if there's anything comperable to this to buy him for Christmas. His main interest is really really good audio quality. I've searched the other forums here and wasn't sure about a couple. There seem to be mixed reviews on the David Foster Hitman Blu-Ray. Are there any others that people would recommend. He tends to like jazz or instrumental type stuff. Any help is appreciated.

I merged your thread into the "blu ray concert" general discussion thread. I would suggest using "concert" in our advance search engine with the "title search only" option located below the search word window for other threads on the topic.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #199 of 579 Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

john mayer where the light is is amazing. there is also another chris botti

the police certifiable and dave matthews arent really jazz, but they are aural heaven
post #200 of 579 Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

These concert blu rays are VERY subjective so take all the suggestions you get from me and others with a grain of salt.........

IMO, the Talking Heads concert film Stop Making Sense (studio mix) is the best audio on BR right now as far as concerts go......simply stunning audio quality.

Close 2nds IMO are John Mayer Where The Light Is, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall, The Police Certifiable, NIN: Beside You In Time and Chicago with Earth Wind and Fire..........All these sound incredible and beat out Chris Botti IMO.

A few other fantastic sounding discs are Jeff Beck, Jewel, and Return To Forever Returns.

I think all of these are safe buys if he likes the bands to some degree, but others may disagree.

There are other very good ones, but those are the best IMO from a audio quality point of view.

post #201 of 579 Old 11-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can highly recommend the David Foster bluray...enjoy that one as much as the 2 Botti discs I have.
post #202 of 579 Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

OH, I forgot the one he might enjoy the most if he likes Jazz which is the Pat Metheny Group:The Way Up-Live.............sounds incredible and fantastic music as well (instrumental).

post #203 of 579 Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

I have most of the concert BD's mentioned here and for me, the best one is Return to Forever. Combination of superior audio quality, picture quality and performance.
post #204 of 579 Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 AM

Metallica is finally coming to Blu-Ray! I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. This is the info from Metallica.com (unfortunately no specs on the Blu-Ray):

"Francais Pour Une Nuit" Nimes Live Blu-Ray disc includes the full show, interviews with the band, and five videos from audience members. The DVD also contains a 16 page color booklet with photos by Ross Halfin.

The new Metallica live Blu-Ray disc was recorded on July 7, 2009 at Arenes de Nimes, the historic Roman amphitheatre in Nimes, France, easily one of the most spectacular venues in the world. "Francais Pour Une Nuit" (translation: "French For One Night") was extra special for the band as not only was it filmed in France, but ALL aspects of the project are French. The show was filmed, recorded, and edited with French camera and recording crews, the artwork was created by a French design team, even the credits are in French. The only non-French parts: the three Americans and one Dane on stage, and the photos shot by Englishman Ross Halfin.

The Blu-Ray is region free. Please know that the Blu-Ray is set to ship mid-December!

And just in case you couldn't join us that night, here is the set list:

Blackened
Creeping Death
Fuel
Harvester Of Sorrow
Fade To Black
Broken, Beat & Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
One
All Nightmare Long
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Dyers Eve
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Stone Cold Crazy
Motorbreath
Seek & Destroy
post #205 of 579 Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

"Jazz" covers a lot of different material and styles. My two favorites on Blu Ray are Pat Metheny's The Way Up and Return to Forever Live at Montreux. Some of the very best AQ and PQ you will find on concert discs.

Ferrets are Family/ Ferrets Corner
post #206 of 579 Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Another vote for the Return to Forever disc. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's is also very good!

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #207 of 579 Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Return to Forever. I must have overlooked that one...

Has anyone checked out the War - Hits Blu?
post #208 of 579 Old 11-25-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, you got a lot of suggestions, many of which are very good, but since you specifically mention jazz I am surprised nobody else recommended Diana Krall.
post #209 of 579 Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Jack Johnson: En Concert

The sound is better than any Jack Johnson CD I have.

post #210 of 579 Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Well, you got a lot of suggestions, many of which are very good, but since you specifically mention jazz I am surprised nobody else recommended Diana Krall.

Yep, "Live in Rio" has excellent sound.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page