any blu-ray concert dvd's - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 579 Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
the Kansas blu-ray has PCM 5.1 and DD 5.1, NOT DTS

the sound quality is great; the Video is OK; too much blue and purple light covers up detail. when they show close ups, you can see it is sharp but the lighting kills the overall detail

the Billy Idol blu-ray is much better for video; the picture is super sharp on that one and the lighting is perfect and the sound is very good too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 579 Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The new George Michael BD is excellent in PQ/AQ.

post #243 of 579 Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM

Liked: 22
yes the George Michael Blu-Ray is really good
the Bass is ridiculously high on that disc
higher than any blu-ray I have ever heard
I thought the Police blu-ray had the most bass but this one has even more
you have to turn down the bass to listen to it but overall it is good
post #244 of 579 Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

yes the George Michael Blu-Ray is really good
the Bass is ridiculously high on that disc
higher than any blu-ray I have ever heard
I thought the Police blu-ray had the most bass but this one has even more
you have to turn down the bass to listen to it but overall it is good

GM must like the vibrations that Bass creates
post #245 of 579 Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe, this was already mentioned somewhere on this thread. I just completed watching Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City. It is phenomenal!!!

I'm going to buy John Meyers bluray. I like this type of songs. Any other concert suggestions that are as cool as the one I mentioned above? I goo goo dolls, matchbox21, rob thomas but I haven't check them yet if they have bluray version.

Thanks!
post #246 of 579 Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

I am hoping that these concerts will be released on BD soon. They were all captured using HD cameras.

- Eagles Live in Melbourne (I have the HD-DVD version, but my player cannot decode the DTS-HD/MA audio)

- Madonna - Sticky and Sweet Tour 2009

- Neil Diamond Hot August Night 2009

- Springsteen Live in NYC
post #247 of 579 Old 12-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Tester View Post

I am hoping that these concerts will be released on BD soon. They were all captured using HD cameras.

- Eagles Live in Melbourne (I have the HD-DVD version, but my player cannot decode the DTS-HD/MA audio)

Big +1 on this one. Also have the HD-DVD, but my player is not hooked up (Sammy Duo), and swapping all the analog cables to watch ONE concert is a pain in the a$$ - not to mention the lack of DTS- HD/MA.

My wife's favorite concert, and a top 5 for me.

I've posted a few times in the "when is it coming out" on Blu thread, but never heard anything. A definite purchase in spite of having it on DVD AND HD-DVD already.
post #248 of 579 Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

My order is listed as "backordered" on Metallica.com

Mine is currently somewhere in FedEx's hands between Reno, NV and Memphis, TN. Scheduled delivery day is December 23. I'll be sure to watch it over the long weekend and have some form of a review for everyone by Monday the 28th.
post #249 of 579 Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

Mine is currently somewhere in FedEx's hands between Reno, NV and Memphis, TN. Scheduled delivery day is December 23. I'll be sure to watch it over the long weekend and have some form of a review for everyone by Monday the 28th.

How did you get the tracking information? They just told me it shipped.
post #250 of 579 Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

How did you get the tracking information? They just told me it shipped.

I had e-mailed someone at the Metallica store last week asking about the shipment before receiving the shipping notice. I don't know if that's how I got shipping info, but I received an e-mail from FedEx confirming that it had been shipped. The e-mail came with a FedEx tracking number
post #251 of 579 Old 12-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine is now on the way as well. Expected shipment date is Christmas Eve. It's some where in the middle of Kansas right now. I got the email with the tracking number on Dec 18.

BTW the Mexico show is now up for pre order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...a-20/ref=nosim

Dan Sholtis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #252 of 579 Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

Mine is now on the way as well. Expected shipment date is Christmas Eve. It's some where in the middle of Kansas right now. I got the email with the tracking number on Dec 18.

BTW the Mexico show is now up for pre order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...a-20/ref=nosim

Got mine yesterday and had a little time to watch. I posted on the Metallica Live BD thread if you would like to read there, or I can just paste what I wrote here:

I was able to watch for a little while yesterday, but only skipped through due to time. I'm impressed with what I saw/heard. However, there does seem to be a slight audio/video sync problem. I don't have this issue with any of my other BD's. I tried resolving it in a number of ways to no avail. That being said, I really enjoyed the PQ and AQ on this disc. Being a huge fan of Metallica, I've been waiting for a Blu-Ray from them for a long time!

To answer Toe's question, I don't own any other concert BD's (other than AC/DC Live at Donington) so I'm not sure what else this disc compares to. I wouldn't say this concert would end up being "reference" quality, but it's very nice to listen to. The vocals do sound low in the mix, but not too low, and the drums, guitars, and bass sound great. I'm eager to read what others think about the concert.
post #253 of 579 Old 12-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I was able to watch for a little while yesterday, but only skipped through due to time. I'm impressed with what I saw/heard. However, there does seem to be a slight audio/video sync problem. I don't have this issue with any of my other BD's. I tried resolving it in a number of ways to no avail. .

For BD concerts presented in 1080i, there can be offsets in audio and video caused by the scaler in your monitor or receiver. There are audio delay "sync" circuit settings in most receivers and/or BD players. By experimenting with these settings, you can find the appropriate delay. Then write that setting on a small sticker inside the BD case so you always have it available.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #254 of 579 Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Got mine yesterday and had a little time to watch. I posted on the Metallica Live BD thread if you would like to read there, or I can just paste what I wrote here:

I was able to watch for a little while yesterday, but only skipped through due to time. I'm impressed with what I saw/heard. However, there does seem to be a slight audio/video sync problem. I don't have this issue with any of my other BD's. I tried resolving it in a number of ways to no avail. That being said, I really enjoyed the PQ and AQ on this disc. Being a huge fan of Metallica, I've been waiting for a Blu-Ray from them for a long time!

To answer Toe's question, I don't own any other concert BD's (other than AC/DC Live at Donington) so I'm not sure what else this disc compares to. I wouldn't say this concert would end up being "reference" quality, but it's very nice to listen to. The vocals do sound low in the mix, but not too low, and the drums, guitars, and bass sound great. I'm eager to read what others think about the concert.

Thanks for the report I need to get this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #255 of 579 Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post

I'm also wondering about the audio quality on the Rick Wakeman Henry VIII Blu Ray; that one I think is DTS Master Audio, but I haven't heard or seen it anywhere.

I just got this one. The sound is impressive, by and large. I'm listening to the DTS-MA track. Fairly standard mix, stage to the front, ambience and audience in back.

There is a lot going on here -- choir, orchestra, 8-piece rock band, all playing in what appears to be a spacious and reverberant temporary venue in Hampton Court Palace, one of Henry VIII's fave hangouts -- so the clarity they've achieved is very good. Plenty of bottom end, a trifle muddy.

The video is a mixed bag. Often soft 1080i, but I blame a combination of lighting and many very long shots. Biggest issue is that they apparently couldn't get good camera positions. You rarely see Wakeman's hands. For "Katherine Howard" they actually brought in a pipe organ, but Rick spends the entire number with his back to the audience (and the cameras); there seemed to be room up on the platform for a camera operator, but no.

There are also frequent audio-sync problems.

It's a glorious, lush, wonderful-sounding performance of the music. Solid A for the performance, A- for the AQ.

The PQ is serviceable, and as usual with 1080i concerts the close-in work looks better than the wide shots. C+ for the PQ.

The poor camera positioning is a serious issue, and really detracts from my enjoyment of the disc. Sure, I'm still seeing more than I would have from the audience (there appeared to be no video screens in the venue), but Wakeman's keyboard playing is sort of the point of the exercise, and you rarely see it. D- for the technical direction.

IMO: rent it first (although it's still "availability unknown" at Netflix).

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #256 of 579 Old 12-26-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I received "Jamiropuai Live from Montreux" Blu Ray and the picture and sound are fantastic, not to mention a very exciting band to watch. The DTS Master sound is very clean and Jay Kays vocals are very clear. Little things that I noticed are smaller instruments (the hand held variety) were clearly audible. I have seen this concert or at least I saw three songs when RAVEHD was around and VOOM played many of the Montreux shows. Up next...Chris Botti Live in Boston.

Jeff
post #257 of 579 Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

NIN is the best I've seen/heard so far.

Agreed. Bought this the other day and I don't think I've had better sound quality ever come through my speakers for a live concert disc. I would love to have a Big Head Todd and the Monsters disc available. Their performance on the Live at Filmore DVD was phenonimal.
post #258 of 579 Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 72
[quote=kevinsert;17683644]The Killers Live Royal Albert
http://www.amazon.com/Killers-Live-R.../dp/B002RBZ13Q

This is fantastic concert blu ray - got for daughter for xmas
Just put on for her - ended up watching the whole show
Image is top notch and DTS-HD Master Audio
great dics

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #259 of 579 Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsert View Post

The Killers Live Royal Albert
http://www.amazon.com/Killers-Live-R.../dp/B002RBZ13Q

This is fantastic concert blu ray - got for daughter for xmas
Just put on for her - ended up watching the whole show
Image is top notch and DTS-HD Master Audio
great dics

yeah i love Killers huge fan of them for 5 years..im waiting for LADY GAGA concert blurays
post #260 of 579 Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Big +1 on this one. Also have the HD-DVD, but my player is not hooked up (Sammy Duo), and swapping all the analog cables to watch ONE concert is a pain in the a$$ - not to mention the lack of DTS- HD/MA.

My wife's favorite concert, and a top 5 for me.

I've posted a few times in the "when is it coming out" on Blu thread, but never heard anything. A definite purchase in spite of having it on DVD AND HD-DVD already.

Eagles Farewell 1 tour. I also have the HD DVD. While my Toshiba HD-A30 does not bitstream DTS HD Master, it outputs 96 khz PCM to my Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and it sounds fantastic! This disc is THE SOLE reason I am hanging on to the HD DVD player. I wrote Warner/WEA an email back in March or April of this year to ask if/when they would be releasing this title on Blu-Ray as there are many of us waiting for it, and unfortunately their reply was that they had no plans of releasing it on Blu. Hopefully since then they changed their minds. Or perhaps we could start a pettition and get enough names on it to get them to change their minds?

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
post #261 of 579 Old 12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post

Eagles Farewell 1 tour. I also have the HD DVD. While my Toshiba HD-A30 does not bitstream DTS HD Master, it outputs 96 khz PCM to my Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and it sounds fantastic! This disc is THE SOLE reason I am hanging on to the HD DVD player. I wrote Warner/WEA an email back in March or April of this year to ask if/when they would be releasing this title on Blu-Ray as there are many of us waiting for it, and unfortunately their reply was that they had no plans of releasing it on Blu. Hopefully since then they changed their minds. Or perhaps we could start a pettition and get enough names on it to get them to change their minds?

The Eagles love money as much as I love the Eagles, it will be released on Blu at some point is my bet and yes it sounds and looks stunning on the HD DVD disc.

Come on Don, Glen....make some more moola boys!

Happy holidays every one!
post #262 of 579 Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

the Kansas blu-ray has PCM 5.1 and DD 5.1, NOT DTS

the sound quality is great; the Video is OK; too much blue and purple light covers up detail. when they show close ups, you can see it is sharp but the lighting kills the overall detail

I viewed this last night and I have to agree the sound is pretty darn good but the video was just ok. It certainly had some good shots, but the lighting kills the detail on alot of it. Unfortunately many concert BD's have this issue. I thought the camera movements were a little off also. Too much switching from one to another.

The best song for me was "Icarus:Borne on Wings of Steel". "Miracle out of Nowhere" without Robbie Steinhardt singing just didn't seem right but was still good. The bonus track "Down the Road" was really good, and it had very little lighting issues since it was a sound check. I'll tell you, Phil Ehart was awesome on this disc. He hits a powerful drum and can play with the best of them.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #263 of 579 Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
"Soul Power"

Very decent AQ, though actual musical numbers are scarce. PQ is average, mostly old and grainy. The James Brown numbers are precious.
post #264 of 579 Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched the Pretenders Live In London Blu ray today and imho this is one of the better concert discs aq and pq wise......a must buy.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #265 of 579 Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

I watched the Pretenders Live In London Blu ray today and imho this is one of the better concert discs aq and pq wise......a must buy.

Thanks for the info. I will have to get this one.

Ferrets are Family/
post #266 of 579 Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone see the new Bad Company concert disc yet? I have this one on my radar and am looking for some input.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #267 of 579 Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Tester View Post

Neil Diamond on February 23rd, Madonna March 30th. Finally, something on BD that I want to spend money on.
post #268 of 579 Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Great thread - Has anyone stumbled on a Video/Audio ranking listing of just Concert Blurays, similar to what they have for the Movie Blurays? Lot's of great suggestions here, but it would be nice to find a condensed listing with ratings of sorts. Thanks.
post #269 of 579 Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched the Bad Company Blu ray today......it's better than most people think it is imho[I never saw the shimmering some people claimed to see]if you're a fan of the band you should go get it.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #270 of 579 Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I will add that I just picked up Gilmour at Albert Hall and bounced through it a bit last night.

About a month ago, DirecTv had the Gdansk HD concert up, which I DVR'd, to which I'm basing this comparison.

I'm not quite sure if Gdansk was 1080i or 720, but the PQ was stunning. The focus was razer sharp, the lazer lighting was spectacular, and really made a breath taking visual experience on my Elite Pro-151. Even under difficult stage lighting colors, and the fog, the focus was right on the money almost 99% of the time.

I'm not sure what the actual audio was, but it was 5.1, and that was equally impressive. I'm saving this until Gdansk finally arrives on Bluray as my official make the neighbor jealous reference material - it's that good.

Getting back to Albert Hall, I was expecting the same quality and was very disappointed. The focus was frequently very poor and you can often see the cameraman hunting to better the focus, to disasterous results. Under the Red's and Greens, you almost could not make out any facial lines, everything was a blur or grainy. I'd even go as far to say that the whole thing looks rather SD 480.

As a matter of fact, I will say that my SD 480 Led Zeppelin SRTS and the DVD Box set is actually better with some footage.

That said, I do think the audio portion is very nice - perhaps might even be better than the DTV Gdansk, but keep in mind, that might have been Bit restricted to some degree for the broadcast. Imho, they were both very good audio wise. Nice to see Crosby, Nash, and Bowie, but you just can't get over the very poor video. Imho, I'm not sure if it's really fair to call this HD BluRay. It's clear they were really stretching the definition with this one. I still cannot fathom how this got so many review reviews on Amazon??

In conclusion, I cannot wait for Gdansk to finally make Bluray. After this poor Albert Hall production, I'd say he kind of owes us something worthwhile - and we know Gdansk is in the can somewhere. Definitely rent before committing to buy this $30+ Bluray and make your own conclusions.

My .02 fwiw.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page