Blood Diamond release on BD on June 5, but without IME - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still waiting for Blu-ray's highly vaunted extra storage capabilities to translate into something other than just a bullet point on press releases and comparison charts.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Five Time Academy Award® Nominee
Debuts in High Definition
June 5 on Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video

Also Debuting For the First Time Ever July 2 on HD-DVD
The First WHV High Definition Title to Include New
Web-Enabled Features

Burbank, California (April 18, 2007) - June 5 marks Warner Home Video's high definition debut of the heart-pounding adventure Blood Diamond on Blu-ray Disc, a must-have for Blu-ray Disc collectors. Blood Diamond has been nominated for five Academy Awards® including Best Actor (DiCaprio) and Best Supporting Actor (Hounsou). Also bursting with extras, the HD DVD will debut July 2 and includes commentary by director Edward Zwick, featurettes and production diaries.

The HD DVD of Blood Diamond will be the first HD DVD to include web-enabled extras which allows viewers to use their players to offer opinions in WHV's online polls and to view other exciting special features such as maps of conflict pertaining to war-torn areas in Africa.

The HD DVD version of Blood Diamond will also contain the In-Movie Experience (IME), an exclusive interactive feature that allows viewers to enjoy new ways of accessing interviews and other material while the movie is running. In addition, for the first time WHV will include the new Focus Points feature that takes the viewer to exciting in-depth featurettes and production diaries. The IME for Blood Diamond allows viewers to embark on an epic journey with director Edward Zwick, charting the emotional and filmmaking challenges of Blood Diamond.

Acclaimed filmmaker Edward Zwick (Last Samurai, Glory) directs this thrilling epic about the human cost of the diamond trade set in war-torn Sierra Leone. The film which was touted as undeniably gripping (David Ansen, Newsweek), stars three-time Academy Award® nominee Leonardo DiCaprio (The Departed, The Aviator, Gangs of New York), two-time Academy Award nominee Djimon Hounsou (Constantine, Gladiator, In America) and Academy Award winner Jennifer Connelly (Little Children, A Beautiful Mind). The HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs will be available for $28.99 SRP. Order due date is May 1.

Blood Diamond is a powerful film that takes you on an unforgettable journey through harsh, yet astonishingly beautiful West Africa. Nominated as one of the best films of 2006 by the National Board of Review, Djimon Hounsou won Best Supporting Actor from the National Board of Review, and the Screen Actors Guild honored the film with Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Djimon Hounsou).

An ex-mercenary turned smuggler (Leonard DiCaprio). A Mende fisherman (Djimon Hounsou). Amid the explosive civil war overtaking 1999 Sierra Leone, these men join for two desperate missions: recovering a rare pink diamond of immense value and rescuing the fisherman's son, conscripted as a child soldier into the brutal rebel forces ripping a swath of torture and bloodshed across the alternately beautiful and ravaged countryside. Directed by Edward Zwick (Glory, The Last Samurai), this urgent, intensely moving adventure shapes gripping human stories and heart-pounding action into a modern epic of profound impact.

Special Features:
Behind the Story
· Focus Points: Featurettes and Production Diaries
· Commentary by Director Edward Zwick
· Blood on the Stone: Follow a Diamond's Path from the Ground to the Store
· Becoming Archer: Profiling Leonardo DiCaprio
· Journalism on the Front Line: Jennifer Connelly on Women Journalists at War
· Inside the Siege of Freetown: Edward Zwick on One of the Movie's Pivotal Sequences
· Nas Shine on 'Em Music Video
· Theatrical Trailer

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Liked: 11
I guess if you care about web features or IME. I don't.
post #3 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:06 PM

That sounds like one sweet HD DVD. Count me in!

BR will get there eventually, just give it some time.
post #4 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post

Still waiting for Blu-ray's highly vaunted extra storage capabilities to translate into something other than just a bullet point on press releases and comparison charts.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Five Time Academy Award® Nominee
Debuts in High Definition
June 5 on Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video

Also Debuting For the First Time Ever July 2 on HD-DVD
The First WHV High Definition Title to Include New
Web-Enabled Features

Burbank, California (April 18, 2007) - June 5 marks Warner Home Video's high definition debut of the heart-pounding adventure Blood Diamond on Blu-ray Disc, a must-have for Blu-ray Disc collectors. Blood Diamond has been nominated for five Academy Awards® including Best Actor (DiCaprio) and Best Supporting Actor (Hounsou). Also bursting with extras, the HD DVD will debut July 2 and includes commentary by director Edward Zwick, featurettes and production diaries.

The HD DVD of Blood Diamond will be the first HD DVD to include web-enabled extras which allows viewers to use their players to offer opinions in WHV's online polls and to view other exciting special features such as maps of conflict pertaining to war-torn areas in Africa.

The HD DVD version of Blood Diamond will also contain the In-Movie Experience (IME), an exclusive interactive feature that allows viewers to enjoy new ways of accessing interviews and other material while the movie is running. In addition, for the first time WHV will include the new Focus Points feature that takes the viewer to exciting in-depth featurettes and production diaries. The IME for Blood Diamond allows viewers to embark on an epic journey with director Edward Zwick, charting the emotional and filmmaking challenges of Blood Diamond.

Acclaimed filmmaker Edward Zwick (Last Samurai, Glory) directs this thrilling epic about the human cost of the diamond trade set in war-torn Sierra Leone. The film which was touted as undeniably gripping (David Ansen, Newsweek), stars three-time Academy Award® nominee Leonardo DiCaprio (The Departed, The Aviator, Gangs of New York), two-time Academy Award nominee Djimon Hounsou (Constantine, Gladiator, In America) and Academy Award winner Jennifer Connelly (Little Children, A Beautiful Mind). The HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs will be available for $28.99 SRP. Order due date is May 1.

Blood Diamond is a powerful film that takes you on an unforgettable journey through harsh, yet astonishingly beautiful West Africa. Nominated as one of the best films of 2006 by the National Board of Review, Djimon Hounsou won Best Supporting Actor from the National Board of Review, and the Screen Actors Guild honored the film with Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Djimon Hounsou).

An ex-mercenary turned smuggler (Leonard DiCaprio). A Mende fisherman (Djimon Hounsou). Amid the explosive civil war overtaking 1999 Sierra Leone, these men join for two desperate missions: recovering a rare pink diamond of immense value and rescuing the fisherman's son, conscripted as a child soldier into the brutal rebel forces ripping a swath of torture and bloodshed across the alternately beautiful and ravaged countryside. Directed by Edward Zwick (Glory, The Last Samurai), this urgent, intensely moving adventure shapes gripping human stories and heart-pounding action into a modern epic of profound impact.

Special Features:
Behind the Story
· Focus Points: Featurettes and Production Diaries
· Commentary by Director Edward Zwick
· Blood on the Stone: Follow a Diamond's Path from the Ground to the Store
· Becoming Archer: Profiling Leonardo DiCaprio
· Journalism on the Front Line: Jennifer Connelly on Women Journalists at War
· Inside the Siege of Freetown: Edward Zwick on One of the Movie's Pivotal Sequences
· Nas Shine on 'Em Music Video
· Theatrical Trailer

Not bad for the "inferior format" is it?

This baby is coming home with papa.
post #5 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the audio specs will both be lossless.

Ill be getting the hd-dvd version most likely. Since its not day/date, I dont mind the delay.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

My HD DVD player isn't connected to the internet. So why would I care about web enabled features?
post #7 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

The fault of the software title manufacturer, not the format. They are more than free to offer it on 50Gb discs with lossless audio if they wanted.

Why are you trolling the forum with this stuff anyways?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 PM

So it comes out May 1st on Blu-ray?
post #9 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

The fault of the software title manufacturer, not the format. They are more than free to offer it on 50Gb discs with lossless audio if they wanted.

Why are you trolling the forum with this stuff anyways?

I am not "trolling." I am asking a simple question. I own a Blu-ray player and more than 20 BD discs. And the point is not whether you care about Internet features or IME or whatever (I don't either).

But if you want to keep apologizing for the fact that the Blu-ray folks are NOT living up to what they promised their format would be delivering by now, go right ahead. As someone who invested in the technology, I'd like to know why this is.

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #10 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --PlayStation3-- View Post

So it comes out May 1st on Blu-ray?

June 5th. It's the first sentence.

post #11 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

June 5th. I think I'll wait for the HD DVD. I don't care about the web based features, but IME is a pretty large feature...since this isn't day and date, the extra month isn't a huge deal, so I should be able to wait it out. Great movie.

post #12 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IME becomes more important to me on films with important messages like this. Great news to here the HD DVD version will break new ground with IME. Cant wait.
post #13 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

June 5th. It's the first sentence.

Oh ok, I got confused.

I saw three different dates...

So,

Blu-ray is June 5th.

HD DVD is July 2nd

and

May 1st is?
post #14 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --PlayStation3-- View Post

May 1st is?

The date that retailers have to place orders before.

post #15 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:30 PM

The commentary by Zwick is enough. I don't need the IME. The special features on the SD DVD are excellent. That's enough for me. Blu-Ray it is....

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

- Lord Vader; Episode IV A New Hope
post #16 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 PM

Is this a time exclusive?
Nearly a months gap...if this press release is true.
Well, THAT is interesting...

Getting the BD btw
post #17 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't watch many extras other than films that I REALLY like. But with the IME type stuff, I find myself watching them. I usually buy a movie and watch it through. then come back a week or 2 later and watch the film again with IME on. Still get to enjoy the movie and get a little extra out of it.

I know some people aren't really interested in it. but some of us do and are glad we get it!
post #18 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post

Is this a time exclusive?
Nearly a months gap...if this press release is true.
Well, THAT is interesting...

Getting the BD btw

its interesting that they wont be released the same day, and sort of anoying. I will wait for the supperior version however.
post #19 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

Not bad for the "inferior format" is it?

This baby is coming home with papa.

Do you have a Blu-ray player? Are you interested in ever getting a Blu-ray player?

As far as this release, I find it interesting how Warner is going this. We know that Blu-ray speced their PiP requirements for players higher than HD DVD's, but doesn't have it ready. I still wouldn't have expected Warner to release the BD first. I wonder if this will be a trend. They've said they'll wait with the Matrix stuff, but for others maybe they'll release the BD earlier without the IME. This could be an experiment to try to figure out how many people will wait for the IME though.

And, as I said elsewhere:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I can't think of anything Warner has ever done that favors the BD in any way other than price (with combos), so releasing first on there might qualify as the first thing (basically favoring each format in one way for this title).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #20 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM

They are probably being released on different dates because the HD DVD version requires lots of extra stuff...like the web infrastructure and IME work. WHV wants to throw BD folks a bone, I guess.

Dunno about the audio on each...the title hasn't been posted to the dealer site yet.

Eric
post #21 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter View Post

They are probably being released on different dates because the HD DVD version requires lots of extra stuff...like the web infrastructure and IME work. WHV wants to throw BD folks a bone, I guess.

Dunno about the audio on each...the title hasn't been posted to the dealer site yet.

Eric

I'm wondering if HD-DVD needs a bit more time to get all the necessary updates in place to support the internet stuff.

I agree the Warner is probably running a little experiment with this release. See how many people wait for the IME and what kind of reception there is for a BD title without extras.

I'm not a BD owner but if I was format neutral I would buy whichever version had the best specs even if it meant waiting. Unless the waiting was going to be quite a while like what they are doing with The Matrix.

I think on the BIG titles like Harry Potter and Matrix, they will want identical specs.
post #22 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:07 PM

AQ is more important to me than extras. So if it has PCM and the hd-dvd doesn't have TrueHD, I'll get the BD version.
post #23 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 PM

yea...not worried bout web features but IME should be pretty good and i would love to see as many featurettes on this title as possible...
post #24 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll have my PS3 on Saturday, but I'll wait until the HD-DVD version for this.
post #25 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFoley View Post

My HD DVD player isn't connected to the internet. So why would I care about web enabled features?

Well my player is, and I do care. Some good things can come from this feature on future releases.

I love my HT

/
post #26 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

I say kudos to WB for this move. All I want to do is watch the movie.

In fact if they both have lossless audio then I far prefer this approach to thier previous practice of screwing over the BD in the audio category even if the BD version is missing extra features.

post #27 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 PM

I agree with MChuckP. I think that Toshiba has an update or two coming before those features will work. If you read the verbage used in the update for the G1 players for 2.1........it said that this firmware would basically start getting the player ready for web content. I forgot the exact words but that made me think there are more updates coming.
post #28 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I am not "trolling." I am asking a simple question. I own a Blu-ray player and more than 20 BD discs. And the point is not whether you care about Internet features or IME or whatever (I don't either).

But if you want to keep apologizing for the fact that the Blu-ray folks are NOT living up to what they promised their format would be delivering by now, go right ahead. As someone who invested in the technology, I'd like to know why this is.

Hey, I'm not "apologizing" (keep?) for anyone. This is strictly Warner's decision. They are free to make up in areas that BD is lacking, by offering higher bitrate video and audio on BD that HD doesn't have. I guarantee you they would have tons of complaints from the HD-DVD side.

Your title is clearly an inflamatory topic in the BD forum.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #29 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I saw this one in the theater and although I liked it, probably won't watch it again for a while. But if I hadn't seen it, as a dual format owner with a Netflix account, I would probably get the BD from them, watch that, then get the HD DVD later and check out any IME parts that I wanted to see. One of the advantages of renting.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #30 of 122 Old 04-18-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Your title is clearly an inflamatory topic in the BD forum.

Yep. There's about 5-10 HD DVDers who are allowed to continue to troll away in the BD areas and open inflammatory threads or get threads closed when it suits their purpose. Thes folks should be suspended. I don't know if it's lack of moderation or what, but one of two things needs to happen:
- assign more moderators in these areas
- current moderators need to crack down more

Every thread in this area we get constant threadcrapping. I know it's not all HD DVD folks, it's just a handful, but it is ridiculous nonetheless...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page