Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 497 Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Spirited Away still isn't out in Japan, so we won't be seeing it any time soon.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 497 Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Waiting this long to release Totoro and Spirited Away is pretty hard to figure out. I could understand if it were just Disney wanting to orchestrate theatrical re-releases for maximum exposure in the US, but why they're not out in Japan is a mystery to me.

I blame soot sprites.

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #453 of 497 Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by coati858 View Post

I blame soot sprites.

They gum up the works, but they're adorable!
post #454 of 497 Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

I just ordered Trigun Badlands Rumble from Amazon, but because of some other things I ordered it won't arrive until February. I'll post my findings then. Anyone else buy this?

I got it but let me preface my remarks by saying I was never a fan of the original series. Actually what I want is an official N. American release of all the Pat Labor movies on Blu, but I digress.

It seems to be an interesting idea of having a story that ties in from 20 years ago, but it just did not work for me. I really could not see any benefit, quality wise, for this to be on Blu as I have seen well mastered DVD's (Appleseed) that look just as good. I think even if I liked this (it just seems to be a poor man's Cowboy Beebop crossed with Desert Punk) I would still give it a meh.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #455 of 497 Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

(it just seems to be a poor man's Cowboy Beebop crossed with Desert Punk) I would still give it a meh.

Trigun came out first.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #456 of 497 Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, is there any any news of the series coming out on Blu-ray? I've been waiting to buy these for a while but haven't heard anything. I'd hate to buy the DVD set if a Blu-ray is in the works, although it is only $32 on Amazon right now.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #457 of 497 Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, is there any any news of the series coming out on Blu-ray?

Nope. The CG rendered in SD is probably holding it back.
post #458 of 497 Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Nope. The CG rendered in SD is probably holding it back.

Bebop got an HD remaster in Japan. (Only released on DVD though) The CG, despite being low-resolution, was still output on 35mm film stock.

This CGI-to-film production chain can be seen on titles including: Ghost in the Shell (the Japanese BD having more natural detail), Whisper of the Heart, Char's Counterattack...probably others...
post #459 of 497 Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

I got it but let me preface my remarks by saying I was never a fan of the original series. Actually what I want is an official N. American release of all the Pat Labor movies on Blu, but I digress.

If you're just interested in owning them, the Patlabor JP releases have English subs, although they are very expensive, being JP releases and all.

There are also HK releases with (proper, non-Engrish according to those who've bought it) subs too that I suspect may be remuxes of the JP BDs with the extras and other audio tracks stripped for much cheaper, but I haven't gotten any confirmation on that. Maybe you could try them out and post the BDInfo readings for us if you have a PC drive.
post #460 of 497 Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

For the truly deep-pocketed: Super Dimension Fortress Macross, which just turned thirty this year, is getting a BD release in Japan on May 25 in both barebones and limited edition forms. The LE is being packaged with a reprint of perhaps the most famous collectible for the series, the Perfect Memory artbook, and a bunch of other stuff.

And if that wasn't enough there's the upcoming BD release of the movie, Do You Remember Love? (July 26), which is being bundled with the PS3 game of the same name. And the LE release of that is being bundled with even more stuff, including a Blu-ray of the animated quasi-followup Flashback 2012 (!!!)...damn, I picked the wrong time to get laid off...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #461 of 497 Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4. Can anyone sum up the situation on Ghost in the Shell? As I understand, there are a lot of different editions and packs out there. I'd like to have all the episodes and the movies on BD... what do I buy?

I just bought and watched the Blu-ray for "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society" and it was amazing. As near as I've been able to tell, it's not an upconvert of any kind. Crisp detail, beautiful animation, and wonderful audio (wonderful in either language, but I prefer the English dub).

I almost bought "Individual Eleven" and "Laughing Man" Blu-rays, but I hesitated only because they are 1080i. I like the lengthy "recap films", but I'd like to wait for 1080p releases, or just wait for the whole series to be released on Blu-ray.
post #462 of 497 Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

For the truly deep-pocketed: Super Dimension Fortress Macross, which just turned thirty this year, is getting a BD release in Japan on May 25 in both barebones and limited edition forms. The LE is being packaged with a reprint of perhaps the most famous collectible for the series, the Perfect Memory artbook, and a bunch of other stuff.

And if that wasn't enough there's the upcoming BD release of the movie, Do You Remember Love? (July 26), which is being bundled with the PS3 game of the same name. And the LE release of that is being bundled with even more stuff, including a Blu-ray of the animated quasi-followup Flashback 2012 (!!!)...damn, I picked the wrong time to get laid off...

God, if only Harmony Gold could get it's act together and release something here in the US for Robotech. I'd even settle for just the ADV Macross dub on Blu-Ray. I know they have HD masters of it, so they just gotta put that puppy out once they get the licensing worked out.
post #463 of 497 Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

God, if only Harmony Gold could get it's act together and release something here in the US for Robotech. I'd even settle for just the ADV Macross dub on Blu-Ray.

Why settle for either one? AnimEigo's subtitled Macross boxset is fabulous. Let's have that on BD!

I don't feel special...
post #464 of 497 Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Why settle for either one? AnimEigo's subtitled Macross boxset is fabulous. Let's have that on BD!

Actually, I just went back to my info and it turns out that Harmony Gold only has aged 16mm prints and the digital scans and restoration work (done by Animeigo and Harmony Gold and later used by ADV for their Macross dub) was all done at 480p due to the costs and limitations of the technology at the time. So no HD material exists as far as Robotech/Macross is concerned outside of what the Japanese have restored and released on Blu-Ray and Harmony Gold has said that it would not be worth their money to do an HD release of Robotech as that would require them to re-scan and restore their 16mm prints from scratch to recut the show ala Robotech Remastered or the ADV Macross dub.
post #465 of 497 Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, I just went back to my info and it turns out that Harmony Gold only has aged 16mm prints and the digital scans and restoration work (done by Animeigo and Harmony Gold and later used by ADV for their Macross dub) was all done at 480p due to the costs and limitations of the technology at the time. So no HD material exists as far as Robotech/Macross is concerned outside of what the Japanese have restored and released on Blu-Ray and Harmony Gold has said that it would not be worth their money to do an HD release of Robotech as that would require them to re-scan and restore their 16mm prints from scratch to recut the show ala Robotech Remastered or the ADV Macross dub.

Macross has been re-scanned, per the upcoming Japanese release. They just need to release it in North America. Robotech is a turd that needs to be buried.

I don't feel special...
post #466 of 497 Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Did they say somewhere blu-ray is not worth it?
post #467 of 497 Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:

I just bought and watched the Blu-ray for "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society" and it was amazing. As near as I've been able to tell, it's not an upconvert of any kind. Crisp detail, beautiful animation, and wonderful audio (wonderful in either language, but I prefer the English dub).

I almost bought "Individual Eleven" and "Laughing Man" Blu-rays, but I hesitated only because they are 1080i. I like the lengthy "recap films", but I'd like to wait for 1080p releases, or just wait for the whole series to be released on Blu-ray.

The series itself I think was animated in 1080i only so I don't think there will be any 1080p versions. Now what I'm frustrated about is why the two seasons haven't been brought over here on BD yet. If you like the English dub, it's probably best not to buy the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven movies because they use a different voice cast from that of the series and Solid State Society.
post #468 of 497 Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post

The series itself I think was animated in 1080i only so I don't think there will be any 1080p versions. Now what I'm frustrated about is why the two seasons haven't been brought over here on BD yet. If you like the English dub, it's probably best not to buy the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven movies because they use a different voice cast from that of the series and Solid State Society.

Nobody animates interlaced, that's a video thing. Maybe they recorded drawings in interlace but that would be idiotic as well.
post #469 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Nobody animates interlaced, that's a video thing.

Which is why I'm waiting. At some point I would hope new masters are created. I would probably even settle for upconverts of the whole series as long as I get lossless audio (original JAP and original ENG dub).
post #470 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Nobody animates interlaced, that's a video thing. Maybe they recorded drawings in interlace but that would be idiotic as well.

It was most likely edited in 1080i since that's what the episodes would have been broadcast in for HDTV, and Blu-ray wasn't around yet so no one cared about making it in 1080p. One could try an IVTC but the cadence won't be consistent, and it might have brief 30fps segments (maybe the CGI opening and end credits, not sure since I haven't checked recently), so it couldn't be forced to 1080p without dropping frames and making the motion jerky (this didn't stop Funimation with a couple of their releases, though).
post #471 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did they say somewhere blu-ray is not worth it?

"While it is technically possible to upconvert the series to HD, due to the quality of some of the film reels (especially Macross), to give fans an acceptable HD version is way to expensive at this time." - Kevin McKeever

Harmony Gold only has very low-quality and poorly aged/worn/damaged 16mm reels of the original Japanese shows, so they can't really get much out of them with the quality they allow. From what has been said over the past decade, they are not on good terms with the original license holders so getting access to the production masters or the re-mastered footage in HD would not likely happen.
post #472 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"While it is technically possible to upconvert the series to HD, due to the quality of some of the film reels (especially Macross), to give fans an acceptable HD version is way to expensive at this time." - Kevin McKeever

Harmony Gold only has very low-quality and poorly aged/worn/damaged 16mm reels of the original Japanese shows, so they can't really get much out of them with the quality they allow. From what has been said over the past decade, they are not on good terms with the original license holders so getting access to the production masters or the re-mastered footage in HD would not likely happen.

Of course they're not on good terms, considering the way they've held the license hostage including legally threatening anyone who tries to sell anything Macross-related outside of Japan.
post #473 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The Japanese Blu-rays of Stand Alone Complex (and the compilation movies) are 1080i, and that's probably what it's going to be on all releases (granted that they ever allow any foreign BDs of it, which is far from certain from the looks of it...) unless the distributors start messing around with it afterwards, which I hope they don't. The opening of the first season was animated at 30fps so that would get messed up in a 1080p version for one.

From what I've seen the pulldown is also very clean and a decent video processor shouldn't have much trouble with IVTC'ing it on the fly, i.e. the 1080i really isn't much of an issue. If they decide to IVTC it for the encode however, you will be stuck with any possible de-interlacing artifacts in the stream, even if your own video processor may have handled those sections better.

One curiosity in all this is that the PAL DVD master actually was progressive, sped up from 24 to 25fps. I'm not sure if this was thanks to Manga/Madman or Production IG, but unless I'm mistaken it did mess up the opening, either through blended or dropped frames.
post #474 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

The Japanese Blu-rays of Stand Alone Complex (and the compilation movies) are 1080i, and that's probably what it's going to be on all releases... The opening of the first season was animated at 30fps so that would get messed up in a 1080p version for one.

From what I've seen the pulldown is also very clean and a decent video processor shouldn't have much trouble with IVTC'ing it on the fly, i.e. the 1080i really isn't much of an issue. If they decide to IVTC it for the encode however, you will be stuck with any possible de-interlacing artifacts in the stream, even if your own video processor may have handled those sections better.

I've got confidence that my equipment can properly deinterlace the 1080i content, but the heart of the issue is the source material. If I'm not mistaken, only the CG intro is 30fps. Everything else is regular 24fps cel animation (and then edited digitally), correct? So shouldn't it be a matter of remastering it? Re-exporting it? Granted, we can't even get the 1080i series released in the U.S., let alone hold out for a true 1080p24.
post #475 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

I'm stunned to hear of a MACROSS DYRL Blu Ray release. That's such a Holy Grail to me, it's like Bigfoot turning out to be real. But...

Let me get this straight, the game for PS3 will or will not include DYRL the film?

The links to the so calld Bare Bones edition has a price of $471!! That is not a bare bones price. That is pure insanity. That's the cheapest version? Really? Or is that the SERIES? I cannot read Japanese so it is very difficult to get what is what.

I am interested in THE MOVIE, not the series (which I have on DVD, the Animeigo version and that will suffice for now).

I myself bought the Japanese duel layered DVD eons ago, ripped it and added fan subtitles (the subs i chose are quite good according to my wife, who speaks Japanese fluently). But on a large screen, the transfer has noise and compression artifacts, even at the high (for DVD) bitrate.

What would work better for all of us is a North American Blu-Ray release or even Hong Kong or South Korea. They have reasonable prices, unlike the Japanese.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #476 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

It was most likely edited in 1080i since that's what the episodes would have been broadcast in for HDTV, and Blu-ray wasn't around yet so no one cared about making it in 1080p. One could try an IVTC but the cadence won't be consistent, and it might have brief 30fps segments (maybe the CGI opening and end credits, not sure since I haven't checked recently), so it couldn't be forced to 1080p without dropping frames and making the motion jerky (this didn't stop Funimation with a couple of their releases, though).

No production company edits interlaced either, anyone who does professional editing will tell you that. There's no cost benefit from it and it's a major headache, the only reason they press modern stuff in 1080i is because they have the TV master readily available on the shelf to put on BD, just like Alliance did with films not too mention the Godzilla 1080i BD (guess that was edited interlaced too).

Quote:

In other words they did not have access to the original source and/or like Lucas too cheap to restore it so they made the too costly' excuse.
post #477 of 497 Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I'm stunned to hear of a MACROSS DYRL Blu Ray release. That's such a Holy Grail to me, it's like Bigfoot turning out to be real. But...

Let me get this straight, the game for PS3 will or will not include DYRL the film?

The links to the so calld Bare Bones edition has a price of $471!! That is not a bare bones price. That is pure insanity. That's the cheapest version? Really? Or is that the SERIES? I cannot read Japanese so it is very difficult to get what is what.

I am interested in THE MOVIE, not the series (which I have on DVD, the Animeigo version and that will suffice for now).

I myself bought the Japanese duel layered DVD eons ago, ripped it and added fan subtitles (the subs i chose are quite good according to my wife, who speaks Japanese fluently). But on a large screen, the transfer has noise and compression artifacts, even at the high (for DVD) bitrate.

What would work better for all of us is a North American Blu-Ray release or even Hong Kong or South Korea. They have reasonable prices, unlike the Japanese.

For clarification: the first bit was about Macross the series (don't feel bad--I went HNNNGG at the price tags too), and the second bit was for DYRL. DYRL is, from the sound of it, being bundled with the PS3 game based on it a la Hard Boiled being included on the Stranglehold PS3 game disc a couple of years back. I'm not going to lie, though--I'm just crazy enough to spring for the DYRL LE, but the series is a much harder sell.

That said, I imagine the LE releases of both will be like the NA Jin-Roh box--if you don't get them at release, you'll probably never see them. Ever.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #478 of 497 Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I'm stunned to hear of a MACROSS DYRL Blu Ray release. That's such a Holy Grail to me, it's like Bigfoot turning out to be real.

LOL, I know exactly how you feel. DYRL on blu may be my single most anticipated BD release of all time. I've already pre-ordered the "box-of-junk edition", because I just can't help myself.

The BD features an all new scan from the 35mm negative. Here's an HD trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QunV9fiwtoE

You can get the barebones version of DYRL for $84 at http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BLJS-93007

Honestly, I will probably spring for the series box too BECAUSE I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF.
post #479 of 497 Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

If it had English subtitles, I'd hit it in a heartbeat, but no English subs is a deal-killer for any foreign works I buy.
post #480 of 497 Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No production company edits interlaced either, anyone who does professional editing will tell you that.

I somehow doubt that you're familiar with the procedures of Japanese video editing (here's just one of many sources that mentions editing in 1080i: http://www.amj.cc/video/hensyu.html ), but it doesn't really matter either way as it has 30fps content so it will never be in proper 1080p on BD.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread - Flcl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page