Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #511 of 537 Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
This is probably the best time of year to purchase anime. Rightstuf's huge Christmas sale and Amazon's annual Funimation clearance leads to the best discounts seen all year.
The Funimation store also has some good prices. i just purchased several BD titles from them this week that were 30% less than Amazon's sale prices. Plus I had a $25 credit that they gave me for signing up for a year of Funimation service for only $55. A great deal considering I had been paying $8 a month. So basically $30 for a years worth of streaming since I had planned to purchase those titles anyway.

EDIT: I just checked out the RightStuff store. They have some great prices too on some of the titles I want to get. Thanks for the heads up.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-17-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 537 Old 12-28-2014, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anybody here watch their anime blu-rays on a 4k display? Curious about how anime blu-rays would look on such a set as I am planning to get a 4k Samsung set very soon.
post #513 of 537 Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would think that it would look very good.

LED DLP
post #514 of 537 Old 12-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniper1401 View Post
Anybody here watch their anime blu-rays on a 4k display? Curious about how anime blu-rays would look on such a set as I am planning to get a 4k Samsung set very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would think that it would look very good.
For the short time we had our 4K TV, everything looked much, much better, but it replaced a 7 year old 1080p LCD, so the same could likely be said of any newer TV.

aaronwt, Stargate fan?
aaronwt likes this.
post #515 of 537 Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I ended up nominating The Wind Rises for the highest level of the Picture Quality Tiers. If it is Hayao Miyazaki's farewell, he went out on top.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #516 of 537 Old 01-23-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
I ended up nominating The Wind Rises for the highest level of the Picture Quality Tiers. If it is Hayao Miyazaki's farewell, he went out on top.
Just watched the trailer and put this at the top of my Netflix que

Thanks for the heads up
post #517 of 537 Old 01-31-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I viewed this last night and agree 100%, its the first time I can actually say " it was like watching a living painting" It was simply superb and a wonderful farewell
post #518 of 537 Old 01-31-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The movie is definitely stunning to watch. I suspect it has gotten underrated as a film since the Japanese have such ambivalent feelings about their role in World War II.
post #519 of 537 Old 01-31-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

This was indeed a hidden gem and I'm sure in time its acceptance factor will come. Like it or not what happened happened
post #520 of 537 Old 02-19-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I picked up the GITS Anniversary Blu-Ray at WalMart for $10. Not worth buying if you already own the earlier BD of the 2.0 version, unless you absolutely want it for the sake of being a completist.
post #521 of 537 Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
I picked up the GITS Anniversary Blu-Ray at WalMart for $10. Not worth buying if you already own the earlier BD of the 2.0 version, unless you absolutely want it for the sake of being a completist.
Darn!! I was just at Walmart this evening. I wish I would have seen your post earlier. I would have checked for it. I see it's close to $16 at Amazon and close to $18 at BestBuy. $10 sounds like an excellent price.

EDIT: Why was it only $10? I just checked Walmart online and it's $19 there. Was it some kind of special in store price? If so I guess I can stop by Walmart again this weekend. Otherwise I'll probably pick it up from BestBuy with a price match to Amazon.

EDIT: Now I'm confused. I have Ghost in the Shell 2.0 and from what I can find apparently it's just Ghost in the Shell with new audio and updated 3D computer graphics in certain scenes.

So what is the difference between Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary and Ghost in the Shell 2.0?

EDIT: just looking at Blu-ray .com GITS 25th Anniversary is on a 25GB BD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 english and only LPCM 2.0 Japanese.
While GITS 2.0 is on a 50GB BD with DTS-HD MA 6.1 English(and LPCM 2.0 English) and DTS-HD MA 6.1 Japanese(and LPCM 2.0 Japanese)

I do see GITS 25th has an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 which matches the original aspect ratio while GITS 2.0 has a 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

Both versions use MPEG-4 AVC for the video

I don't see what GITS 25th Anniversary gives you over the previous version. It seems like it should be inferior to GITS 2.0.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 02-19-2015 at 08:19 PM.
post #522 of 537 Old 02-20-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

GITS 25th is just GITS 1.0. It would seem that it was erroneously promoted that the film was getting a new master, when it is in fact simply the same master as the Japanese BD of the original version that was released several years ago. My advice? Don't pay any more than $10 for it, if you actually want it. It simply isn't worth any more than that since the 2.0 version is the definitive version of the film and can be had on Blu for around the same price. If you want to pick up the Anniversary BD for that price, dig around the WalMart media section and look for an Anime mini-display where they have DVD and BD of Anime/Cartoons for sale. They have it every so often and it's usually an in-store only thing.
post #523 of 537 Old 02-20-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen it before, the anime display is usually on an end cap. There aren't many Blu-rays in the selection.
post #524 of 537 Old 02-20-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked up Appleseed Alpha for $10 at Best Buy today. I'll watch it in a bit and share my thoughts.
post #525 of 537 Old 02-20-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

I watched that last year. I liked it.

LED DLP
post #526 of 537 Old 02-21-2015, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I got the DVD from Netflix of Appleseed Alpha and thought it was ok but its my least favorite in comparison to the others.
post #527 of 537 Old 02-21-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm watching Appleseed Alpha right now. Not very impressed, but it is exactly what I expected from Sony. The audio mix isn't great and definitely could have been better given the source material.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #528 of 537 Old 02-21-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
I'm watching Appleseed Alpha right now. Not very impressed, but it is exactly what I expected from Sony. The audio mix isn't great and definitely could have been better given the source material.
The audio was very disappointing to say the least not to mention the very predictable story line
post #529 of 537 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If anyone has Bandai's region A "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" on Blu-Ray (with English subtitles) and is willing to sell it for a reasonable price, please PM me... The movie is out of print... Thanks in advance...

I posted in classifieds but no response....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #530 of 537 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone seen Flowers of Evil with its rotoscoped human characters? It's a pretty interesting series in terms of content as well. Flowers of Evil feels like a more intellectually ambitious School Days.
post #531 of 537 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Darn!! I was just at Walmart this evening. I wish I would have seen your post earlier. I would have checked for it. I see it's close to $16 at Amazon and close to $18 at BestBuy. $10 sounds like an excellent price.

EDIT: Why was it only $10? I just checked Walmart online and it's $19 there. Was it some kind of special in store price? If so I guess I can stop by Walmart again this weekend. Otherwise I'll probably pick it up from BestBuy with a price match to Amazon.
The WalMart at Fair Lakes has it for $10. I was just there and they have several in the rack. It's the mixed media rack at the backside of the media section, pretty much at the corner. You'll see several anime DVDs and a few Blu-Rays in addition to regular cartoons like He-Man. The one near you probably has it as well. It's in-store price only.
post #532 of 537 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
If anyone has Bandai's region A "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" on Blu-Ray (with English subtitles) and is willing to sell it for a reasonable price, please PM me... The movie is out of print... Thanks in advance...

I posted in classifieds but no response....
I was surprised it was out of print. I got the 2 Disc BD from ebay back in 2012 for around $25. I do see that Amazon has the UK version(1 disc version) for sale for around $32 from a US seller. They have a new one and a used one for the same price.

LED DLP
post #533 of 537 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

All Bandai Visual titles are OOP because the Bandai Visual video label no longer exists in America. They weren't making any profit with their meager offerings and high prices. Every title of theirs that I bought was clearance/overstock and deeply discounted. I don't know who picked up the licenses from them, but it Funimation probably has some of them.
post #534 of 537 Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was surprised it was out of print. I got the 2 Disc BD from ebay back in 2012 for around $25. I do see that Amazon has the UK version(1 disc version) for sale for around $32 from a US seller. They have a new one and a used one for the same price.
Well, if you ever considering selling yours, please keep me in mind... I will pay any reasonable price...

post #535 of 537 Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I am just getting into Animes and I just ordered a number of animes on Blu-Ray... Anyone can tell me if the selections were any good?

• The Princess and the Pilot
  • The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  • From Up on Poppy Hill
  • Porco Rosso
  • Paprika
  • Only Yesterday
  • Colorful
  • Garden of Words
  • Hal
  • Summer Wars
  • Children Who Chase Lost Voices
  • A Letter to Momo
  • Tale of Earthsea
  • Pom Poko

The only one I know that has highly rated was The Tale of Princess Kaguya... I prefer drama/comedy/romance style of animes, not action types like Akira. But I did like Appleseed Alpha and Ex Machina. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance...

post #536 of 537 Old Today, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

You would probably love Garden of Words, though it is on the short side. I would also recommend Children Who Chase Lost Voices, which is the most Studio Ghibli film I've seen produced outside their company.

I was disappointed in both Colorful and HAL. HAL does have fantastic animation at times.
post #537 of 537 Unread Today, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I prefer drama/comedy/romance style of animes
You picked a broad sampling, I'm sure you'll like some more than others. I can say Only Yesterday is a very understated drama/romance that kinda sneaks up on you with how good it is, excellent choice, IMO Takahata's best.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread - Flcl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page