Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 567 Old 03-05-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 168
A Letter To Momo is streaming for Amazon Prime members.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (updated through May 25th, 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 567 Old 03-06-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I am just getting into Animes and I just ordered a number of animes on Blu-Ray... Anyone can tell me if the selections were any good?

• The Princess and the Pilot
  • The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  • From Up on Poppy Hill
  • Porco Rosso
  • Paprika
  • Only Yesterday
  • Colorful
  • Garden of Words
  • Hal
  • Summer Wars
  • Children Who Chase Lost Voices
  • A Letter to Momo
  • Tale of Earthsea
  • Pom Poko
The only one I know that has highly rated was The Tale of Princess Kaguya... I prefer drama/comedy/romance style of animes, not action types like Akira. But I did like Appleseed Alpha and Ex Machina. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance...
After watching these animes, here are my opinions...

The Princess and the Pilot - fair
The Tale of Princess Kaguya - fair
From Up on Poppy Hill - winner
Porco Rosso - pretty good
Paprika - fair
Only Yesterday - pretty good
Colorful - pretty good
Garden of Words - very good
Hal - fair
Summer Wars - winner
Children Who Chase Lost Voices - poor
A Letter to Momo - fair
Tale of Earthsea - fair
Pom Poko - poor

Others I just watched:

• 5 Centimeters Per Second - fair
  • Origins Spirits of the Past - fair
  • Patema Inverted - poor
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - very good

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #543 of 567 Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
A Letter To Momo is streaming for Amazon Prime members.
It's kind of surprising how little animes are available on Amazon Prime... only a couple dozen at most...

post #544 of 567 Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I strongly recommend AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day for everyone. There is a movie version available but I think it's best enjoyed first in its original series form. One of the most delightful, touching anime in recent memory. The movie was a huge hit in Japan.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/99959/4/0/0

post #545 of 567 Old 03-07-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
It's kind of surprising how little animes are available on Amazon Prime... only a couple dozen at most...
They might not have much on prime for free but they do have a bunch available to purchase that can be streamed. I have a bunch of titles that I purchased from Amazon ove rthe years, that I can now stream, that I later ended up getting on BD too.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #546 of 567 Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I just picked "Time of Eve". The film is about how humans and androids interact in a café where they meet and do not know if the other person is a human or android. In the "outside" world, androids must display a halo above their heads so humans can tell what they are. The androids in the real world are treated mostly like slaves and disrespected except by some pro-android factions.

The film is based on a six-part anime which was combined into one film. It deals with all types of interactions, android vs humans, androids vs androids, humans vs humans.

The graphics are more on the realistic side. The backgrounds are amazing whereas the character animation is more atypical Japanese style without the exaggerated look when emotions are raised. Being all dialog driven, the audio seems subdued.

Overall, I liked the movie. It appears to be a limited release as it was funded by kickstarter.

Last edited by Jon S; 03-17-2015 at 02:05 PM.
post #547 of 567 Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I just picked "Time of Eve". The film is about how humans and androids interact in a café where they meet and do not know if the other person is a human or android. In the "outside" world, androids must display a halo above their heads so humans can tell what they are. The androids in the real world are treated mostly like slaves and disrespected except by some pr0-android factions.

The film is based on a six-part anime which was combined into one film. It deals with all types of interactions, android vs humans, androids vs androids, humans vs humans.

The graphics are more on the realistic side. The backgrounds are amazing whereas the character animation is more atypical Japanese style without the exaggerated look when emotions are raised. Being all dialog driven, the audio seems subdued.

Overall, I liked the movie. It appears to be a limited release as it was funded by kickstarter.

Thanks! I'll need to check it out.
post #548 of 567 Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, if you do pick up "Time of Eve", make sure you watch the sketches in the end credits... The sketches provide a lot of information of how Nagi (the café owner) came to own the café. Also, there is an extended closing scene at the very end of the movie...

post #549 of 567 Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched the original Time of Eve series. It definitely feels very different in tone than most anime, quite thought provoking with its implications of humans living alongside robots.

post #550 of 567 Old 03-18-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Sentai is releasing Ninja Scroll w/ Director commentary on 5/19.
Omni009 likes this.
post #551 of 567 Old 04-01-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Studio Ghibli's possible final release "When Marnie Was There" will be released theatrically by G-KIDs late spring and probable video release by the holidays. This is based on Joan Robinson's young adult novel about a introverted foster girl is sent to a remote village and meets a mysterious blond girl. The video is now available in Japan through YesAsia (the film was theatrically released in June 2014) but it is rather expensive at $65.

I already received the Japanese Blu-Ray and can tell you it is one of Ghibli's finer films.

chirpie likes this.

post #552 of 567 Old 04-06-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
After watching these animes, here are my opinions...

Summer Wars - winner
The director has another Blu-ray that's been out for a while that doesn't seem to get much mention, Wolf Children. I rather liked it. It has a slice of life feel along with dashes of fanciful elements. Quite subtle though with it's emotions, so be aware of that mood.
post #553 of 567 Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
The director has another Blu-ray that's been out for a while that doesn't seem to get much mention, Wolf Children. I rather liked it. It has a slice of life feel along with dashes of fanciful elements. Quite subtle though with it's emotions, so be aware of that mood.
Thanks.. I'll need to rent the BD and check it out.

LED DLP
post #554 of 567 Old 04-06-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have seen that anime and for some reason, it did not really impress me that much. I bought it because it was well regarded but I thought the plot was rather weak.

post #555 of 567 Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I have seen that anime and for some reason, it did not really impress me that much. I bought it because it was well regarded but I thought the plot was rather weak.
That's fair. Depending on the movie, not much plot doesn't bother me. (I.E. Totoro) Peace.
post #556 of 567 Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's fair. Depending on the movie, not much plot doesn't bother me. (I.E. Totoro) Peace.
OTOH, I thought his earlier titles (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars) were really great...
aaronwt likes this.

post #557 of 567 Old 05-02-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The Akira 25th Anniversary BD is now below $14 on Amazon, sold by Amazon. This is the best time to get the movie if you don't already have it.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.
post #558 of 567 Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

To anyone who is interested... The final missing Studio Ghibli title "Ocean Waves" will be released on Blu-Ray in Japan on 07/17/15. This was a anime made for Nippon Television by the studio with some new talent back then. The film ran over budget and behind schedule. It is a story of high school life in Japan. No word of a domestic US release. It will be in Japanese with English subtitles and will retail for about $60USD...

I don't understand why Japanese movies are so expensive...

Last edited by Jon S; 05-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #559 of 567 Old 05-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
GITS 25th is just GITS 1.0. It would seem that it was erroneously promoted that the film was getting a new master, when it is in fact simply the same master as the Japanese BD of the original version that was released several years ago. My advice? Don't pay any more than $10 for it, if you actually want it. It simply isn't worth any more than that since the 2.0 version is the definitive version of the film
Sure, if you're George Lucas. Hope you like original footage replaced with ugly CG, not to mention altered music, blown-out contrast, wonky colors...
post #560 of 567 Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 384
has there been any update as to when Evangelion 3.33 is going to hit BR in the US?
post #561 of 567 Old 07-20-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
has there been any update as to when Evangelion 3.33 is going to hit BR in the US?
Not that I've heard. I pre-ordered it sometime last year. I wonder if my pre-order is even still valid at Funimation?

LED DLP
post #562 of 567 Old 07-21-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I pre-ordered it through Righstuf last year, too. As far as I know, my pre-order is still valid. I get occasional emails from them saying they're still "working on my order" and the emails always show a TBD/TBA date for release.

I think it kept getting pushed back due to its ongoing theatrical run in the US. That's at least what I'd read a few months ago.
post #563 of 567 Old 07-21-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Rightstuf recently threw out their old website and order system. I would check if that pre-order is still valid. Lots of complaints about the transition to Rightstuf's new account system.

post #564 of 567 Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I actually got an automated email this morning from Righstuf saying that my pre-order was still pending. So, it looks like I managed to survive their transition?
post #565 of 567 Old Today, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The Digital Bits announced that Disney is releasing an Amazon exclusive Hayao Miyazaki boxed set on 11/17... It consists of the 11 Miyazaki films, not the complete Studio Ghibli releases... The set includes "Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo, and The Wind Rises. You’ll also get a bonus disc that highlights other rare work by Miyazaki, including the 1972 animated TV pilot Yuki no Taiyo (Yuki’s Sun) and three episodes from the 1972 Akado Suzunosuk (Little Samurai) animated series, as well as his uncut retirement press conference. You’ll also get the Tomohiro Machiyama book The Great Dichotomy: Looking at the Works of Hayao Miyazaki and selected notes from Miyazaki’s creative proposals for each film in the set."

The set does not include other Ghibli titles not done by Miyazaki himself... (From Up on Poppy Hill, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko,Tales From Earthsea, The Cat Returns, The Secret World of Arriety, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There, Whisper of the Heart and Ocean Waves.

No price was announced, but my guess would be about $300 retail...

Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #566 of 567 Old Today, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like a magnificent set.

post #567 of 567 Old Today, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If this matches the JP set, then Nausicaa will be based on a new master. Generally considered better colors than the standalone release, but there's some disagreement about the rest. I think based on screencaps that the new one hasn't been oversharpened like the original (kinda like the two releases of Fargo), others think the original is fine and the new version is too DNR'd. So if you like the change, it's less noisy--if you don't like the change, it's less grainy. Either way, not quite tempting enough for me to basically double-dip on my whole collection.

EDIT: There's also new encodes on several other titles in the JP set (different bitrates), but I think Nausicaa may be the only one with such an obvious difference in picture quality. Other titles may have subtle differences too, I just haven't seen any mention of it.

Last edited by CatBus; Today at 08:33 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread - Flcl by PriceGrabber.com