Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #571 of 593 Old 08-10-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I recommend Moribito: Guardian of The Spirit. It has a very Princess Mononoke feel to it and the animation is HQ. You can watch it on Hulu and Netflix. I caught it on Netflix, loved it, and bought the older Media Blasters release on Amazon for less than $30 which was far less than buying the complete series release from Viz, which oddly enough, drops the 5.1 tracks and keeps the extras.
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 593 Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I like the "slice of life animes"... I can recommend Clannad, Clannad After Story, AnoHana, Nodame Cantibile, Non Non Biyori, Toradora and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso which are all episodic series.

For movie animes, I liked 5 Centimeters Per Second, Colorful, The Garden of Words, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and The Time of Eve along with most of the Studio Ghibli releases..

AnoHana is available both as a movie and a series. Shrinking a eleven parts series down to 90 minutes leaves a lot of stuff out and really shortchanges the storyline. I do not recommend the movie version. A couple of the titles are no longer available on disc format. I find the site gogoanime.tv has a lot of animes which you can stream. Most of the titles are 360P but some are 720P.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #573 of 593 Old 08-11-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is an excellent anime worth checking out. Toradora is one of the more convincing anime about high school relationships with a great mix of humor and pathos.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the incredible Steins;Gate. The Blu-ray from Funimation is fairly shoddy but gets the job done. One of the smartest time travel stories I've ever seen.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through November 15, 2015)
post #574 of 593 Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the incredible Steins;Gate. The Blu-ray from Funimation is fairly shoddy but gets the job done. One of the smartest time travel stories I've ever seen.
I'll second this one.
post #575 of 593 Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I just watched Usagi Drop. It an excellent slice of life anime about a six year old girl who was supposedly the illegitimate child of a deceased elderly man. The family are shocked about this revelation at the old man's funeral and are contemplating sending her to an orphanage because of the family embarrassment. The old man's 30 year old single grandson decides to take in the child and shows what he has to go through to raise the child by himself.

The anime is 11 chapters and covers the first half of the manga series (the second half covers the child as a teenager). Unfortunately, there is no plans to release any anime about the second half.

The animation itself is a bit simplistic and the audio is adequate. Unfortunately, the video release is rather expensive at $62 on Amazon but it does have both Blu-Ray and DVD discs.

Another slice of life anime I enjoyed was One Week Friends. It is about a girl in high school who has no friends. One boy who tries to befriend her finds out the girl was in an accident which causes her to lose her memories of any personal relationships other than her family every Monday. He tries to help her and slowly bonds with the girl and she vaguely will remember him and some events from the previous week.. Unfortunately, any mental stress causes her to revert to her amnesiac state and he has to start all over.

post #576 of 593 Old 08-19-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I found Usagi Drop a very gentle anime and touching at times. It's so far removed from the themes of most other anime that it feels patently different in tone.

post #577 of 593 Old 12-01-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's been pretty quiet in the anime side... A couple of animes that I thought was outstanding this year were:

Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri...
The first half of this anime finished in September and the second half starts in January 2016. Sentai Filmworks announced they will release this on Blu-Ray in 2016.

When a portal from another world appears in Ginza, Tokyo, a legion of soldiers and monsters emerge to attack the city. Thanks to their far more advanced weaponry and tactics, the Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) easily repels the enemy, passes through the gate and establish a forward base of operations to force the Roman-styled empire of the other world to open peace negotiations. Yōji Itami is a JSDF officer sent to investigate the other world, where magic, dragons and elves are real, using his knowledge of fantasy stories to make his way in this new environment.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shi te ai ga Umatteiru
This is currently streaming... It reminds me of the TV series Bones

Sakurako Kujō is a genius beauty in her mid-twenties whose life is centered around one thing and one thing only: bones. With little tolerance for others, she would be completely isolated in her study full of skeletons if it weren’t for high school boy Shotaro—her new assistant and constant companion. Why exactly she has taken a shine to him remains a mystery, but one thing is clear: Whenever the two go out together, the chances are high that they will come across a human corpse.

Ore ga Ojōsama Gakkō ni "Shomin Sanpuru" Toshi te Rachirareta Ken

Currently streaming...

Kimito Kagurazaka is an ordinary high school student. One day, he is forcefully enrolled in All-Girls School Seikain where its noble female students are cut off from the rest of the world to preserve their innocence. However, this deep isolation leaves a large number of school graduates unable to cope with the outside world. To deal with this problem, the school has decided to kidnap a male commoner, Kimito, hoping that his "common man's" influence will be a gentle way to introduce the girls to the realities of life outside. Unfortunately for Kimito, the school only considered him a candidate for this project because they thought that he was a homosexual with a muscle fetish, and therefore no threat to the innocent girls' chastity. Once he learns that he might be castrated should this be proven otherwise, he has no choice but to cooperate

Rakudai Kishi no Kyabarurii

Currently streaming

The story is set in a world where humans with supernatural powers known as Blazers can materialize a Device, weapons made through a person's soul. Ikki Kurogane, dubbed the Failure Knight by everyone around him, encounters a girl, Stella Vermillion, as she changes in his room. This encounter changes Ikki's life as he strives to become a real Mage Knight by reaching the peak of the Seven Star Sword Art Festival, an annual event held by the seven Mage Knight Academies in Japan to determine the strongest Apprentice Knight between the schools. The winner of the festival becomes known as the Seven Stars Sword Kings. The Seven Star Sword Art Festival features actual combat and the possibility of competitors dying exists.
aaronwt and audiofan1 like this.

Last edited by Jon S; 12-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.
post #578 of 593 Old 12-01-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I would say we are drowning in anime on Blu-ray. I see a healthy amount of the current anime being released on Blu-ray. It's hard for me to even keep up now that several smaller distributors beyond Funimation have jumped into the premium edition fad. The genre is probably more represented on Blu-ray given its actual fanbase than just about any I can think of, including horror.

I will assume everyone reading this knows about Rightstuf's big holiday sale. I'll recommend Dusk Maiden of Amnesia from the sale. Gingitsune is another underlooked show. Kokoro Connect has one of the more intriguing, serious story lines of recent years.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/catego...ything-On-Sale
aaronwt and audiofan1 like this.

post #579 of 593 Old 04-05-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Hmm... this thread appears to be dead, but I don't care.

Anyone seen Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie? I guess it happens in the continuity of Arise, but afterward, with the more familiar SAC characters and look. I'm not sure. Anyway, the Blu-ray has been out for a while, anyone seen it?
post #580 of 593 Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Anyone seen Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie? I guess it happens in the continuity of Arise, but afterward, with the more familiar SAC characters and look. I'm not sure. Anyway, the Blu-ray has been out for a while, anyone seen it?
I haven't watched it yet. I have the Blu-ray Disc rental on the way to me this week.

I thought the BD was just released this week? Amazon shows an April 5th, 2016 release date.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #581 of 593 Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

It's a continuation of the story and style of Arise.
post #582 of 593 Old 04-05-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not posted in a while but there are a number of recent releases that I really liked... listed by genre andscores shown...

Gate Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (Gate Thus the JSDF Fought There!) Action genre ****
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Erased) Mystery genre *****
Hyou-ka (You Can't Escape) mystery genre ****
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa shi-tai ga Umatteiru (Beautiful Bones Sakurako's Investigation) mystery genre ****
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (Psychic Detective Yakumo) mystery genre ****
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (Dusk Maiden of Amnesia) supernatural genre ****1/2
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar (Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash) Fantasy genre ***
Rogu Horaizun (Log Horizon) fantasy genre ****
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon) fantasy/comedy genre ****
Sodo Ato Onrain (Sword Art Online) ****1/2
Goruden Taimu (Golden Time) romance genre ****
Hanasaku Iroha (Blossoms for Tomorow) slice of life genre ****
Nisekoi (False Love) Harem genre ****1/2
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru (Oreshura) (My Girlfriend and Childhood Friend Fight Too Much) harem genre ****
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) harem genre ***1/2
Isshukan Furenzu (One Week Friends) slice of life/school romance genre ***1/2
Okami-San (Okami-san and Her Seven Companions) School genre ***1/2

post #583 of 593 Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
It's a continuation of the story and style of Arise.
I saw it when it screened in limited theaters and received my BD from Amazon yesterday.

It's a wrap-up of the Arise series as it was broadcast on Japanese TVs. The Japanese TV run basically split the four OVAs in to 8 episodes then had two additional episodes added after the original series. It was called "Pyrophoric Cult". This new movie comes after the "Pyrophoric Cult" episodes. Will you miss anything if you've only seen the original four and not the additional two "bridge" episodes? Not really. They designed the movie story to fill in some of those gaps from what I recall.

EDIT: I should also add that the movie does a great job of bridging to the original GitS movie, too.

Last edited by jskang; 04-06-2016 at 07:39 AM. Reason: additional comments
post #584 of 593 Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I have not posted in a while but there are a number of recent releases that I really liked... listed by genre andscores shown...

Okami-San (Okami-san and Her Seven Companions) School genre ***1/2
I got this a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. Brina Palencia did a great job as Ryoko with the English Dub.

LED DLP
post #585 of 593 Old 04-06-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Brina Palencia is just about the best American voice actress for anime productions. Her voicing of Holo/Horo in Spice and Wolf makes it an incredible series.

Speaking of current Blu-ray releases, give Tokyo ESP a serious look if you are into action-driven stories with strong characters in a vaguely X-Men-like world. I really liked it from beginning to end.

post #586 of 593 Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Glad to see this thread still being given some attention. I wish Netflix had more anime. Subscribed to Funimation, but using a PS3 there is an audio "bug" glitch every 10-15 seconds. Confirmed with Funimation rep that there is indeed an audio issue while streaming with the PS3.

Anyone get a chance to watch "The Boy and the Beast"? Comes out on BD in June. Heard good things about it, so might pick up the BD then. http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Beast-Blu-...1MRRMPA5FEDAM1
post #587 of 593 Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post
Glad to see this thread still being given some attention. I wish Netflix had more anime. Subscribed to Funimation, but using a PS3 there is an audio "bug" glitch every 10-15 seconds. Confirmed with Funimation rep that there is indeed an audio issue while streaming with the PS3.

Anyone get a chance to watch "The Boy and the Beast"? Comes out on BD in June. Heard good things about it, so might pick up the BD then. http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Beast-Blu-...1MRRMPA5FEDAM1

If it's Anime you want, Hulu is the place to go. Netflix has nothing compared to their selection.
post #588 of 593 Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, Netflix only carries a token amount of anime. Most anime lovers are likely to have subscriptions to Funimation and Crunchyroll at the very minimum.

I recently saw From The New World on Sentai's old Volume One collection. Interesting show but the picture quality is problematic for a production made in the last decade. It didn't even look native HD at times and the set has severe banding.

post #589 of 593 Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
That's coming out on BD already? That's awesome news.
post #590 of 593 Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Try the Funimation app with a Roku.

LED DLP
post #591 of 593 Old 04-16-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon has "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" as a new release from Funimation.... As many of you know, the original has been unavailable for several years... It will be released in June. There are two versions, the basic as shown and a deluxe limited edition.

Last edited by Jon S; 04-18-2016 at 09:24 PM.
post #592 of 593 Old 04-16-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

It's definitely recommended as a movie.

post #593 of 593 Old 04-18-2016, 07:49 AM

Yeah! I love that movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page