Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
A local disc media store is closing and their Anime section with liquidation prices is finally competitive but it is so hard to find professional reviews for titles that are not just 'buy dvd now' writeups like Rideback.
Funimation isn't particularly willing to hand out review copies beyond a handful of very cozy anime sites. I'm not sure the company wants much scrutiny on the technical merits of their Blu-ray releases.

I have reviewed a number of anime sets in the PQ Tiers thread if you wanted to search it.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Funimation isn't particularly willing to hand out review copies beyond a handful of very cozy anime sites. I'm not sure the company wants much scrutiny on the technical merits of their Blu-ray releases.

I have reviewed a number of anime sets in the PQ Tiers thread if you wanted to search it.
Nice but I am not looking for pq sites. I am looking for general reviews of the stories by sites like TimeOut & AllMovie by professionals not flogging discs.
wuther is offline  
Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Nice but I am not looking for pq sites. I am looking for general reviews of the stories by sites like TimeOut & AllMovie by professionals not flogging discs.
TBH your best bet is prob gonna be asking on reddit in /r/anime or going to MAL and reading reviews there (https://myanimelist.net/)
Sibuna is online now  
 
Old 03-01-2017, 05:10 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 73
not sure if this helps but I go to https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ and check out their reviews.

For example, Sword of the Stranger BD+DVD has the below.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/rev...bd-dvd/.112461

Overall (dub) : B+
Overall (sub) : A-
Story : B
Animation : A+
Art : A
Music : B+
+ A nearly perfect action movie, telling the classic tale of a nameless soldier with energy and astonishing beauty.
− The consistently cliche story limits the film's emotional scope.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is online now  
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Bummers... "Koe no Katachi" (A Silent Voice) will be released on disc in Japan on May 17. This is one of the most popular animes released. It is about a boy who bullies a deaf girl in school who is forced to move because of his actions and is ostracized by his classmates. He later tries to make amends when he meets the girl later on...

The bummer part, the movie is released in an all-region Blu-Ray for $50 but has no subtitles! What's up with that?


If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is online now  
Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Anyone think the classic Gundam BDs are worth buying? I watched Gundam Origin on Hulu the other day and got hooked. Since Gundam has never really been available in Murica until recently, I figured that I'd give it a watch and I liked it.
LexInVA is online now  
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
TBH your best bet is prob gonna be asking on reddit in /r/anime or going to MAL and reading reviews there (https://myanimelist.net/)
Those are in the 'user' comments category like anidb.net and animenewsnetwork. All three have nice layout give some useful info but far from professional reviews like theanimereview & otakuusamagazine that go in-depth of the history of the anime, if it was a cancelled in the middle of storyline, if it is a continuation of something, etc and from what I can tell do not have a 'buy dvd now'. Just my luck Rideback is missing from those two.

Last edited by wuther; 03-01-2017 at 06:12 PM.
wuther is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric.exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
The bummer part, the movie is released in an all-region Blu-Ray for $50 but has no subtitles! What's up with that?
It's unfortunately somewhat common for Japanese releases to have no or only Japanese subtitles.
eric.exe is online now  
Old 03-02-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post
It's unfortunately somewhat common for Japanese releases to have no or only Japanese subtitles.
True, but why on a all-region disc? Curious as it seems to be a dumb idea...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is online now  
Old 03-10-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Freedom gets re-released next month, in a BD/DVD set. From Discotek, of all companies. You can pre-order at Rightstuf for $20. It likely won't be as good as the original Bandai release, but you can't beat the price.
LexInVA is online now  
Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Once I had a problem disc from a Discotek release and they replaced it with no hassles unlike paramount.

Last edited by wuther; 03-11-2017 at 09:00 AM.
wuther is offline  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
its going to be a while as most anime is animated in 720-1080p (if luck), it would just be upscale to 4k which kida defeats the purpose. People have said they would animate in 4k if someone gave them 4x the budget to enable them to do it
It should of occurred to me earlier but if they were of a mind to do it anime distributors can now do UHD BDs in native UHD of the productions done in the good of days of traditional anime animation. Namely the greats like Galaxy 999, Gundam, Studio Ghibli and Star Blazers. The HDR would be at best muted but I could care less.
wuther is offline  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric.exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
True, but why on a all-region disc? Curious as it seems to be a dumb idea...
There's a very a long, detailed and complicated answer somewhere, but Japan is a very inward-facing country, and their Blu-rays and other media are very not catered to non-Japanese audiences.
eric.exe is online now  
Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
It should of occurred to me earlier but if they were of a mind to do it anime distributors can now do UHD BDs in native UHD of the productions done in the good of days of traditional anime animation. Namely the greats like Galaxy 999, Gundam, Studio Ghibli and Star Blazers. The HDR would be at best muted but I could care less.
It's difficult to do that because the older film mediums are not in good shape and Japan doesn't really have the infrastructure or talent required for high-end restoration work. It's something they are only now dipping their toes into, with 4K restorations of Godzilla and such. Until recently, the most they could do in the country was limited to HD restorations and those have never been done well, due to the lack of resources and knowledge. Historically, they have always relied on organizations and companies outside of Japan to restore their cinematic works, in particular, Criterion Collection and foreign rights holders with money and resources, such as Studio Canal.
LexInVA is online now  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
It's difficult to do that because the older film mediums are not in good shape and Japan doesn't really have the infrastructure or talent required for high-end restoration work. It's something they are only now dipping their toes into, with 4K restorations of Godzilla and such. Until recently, the most they could do in the country was limited to HD restorations and those have never been done well, due to the lack of resources and knowledge. Historically, they have always relied on organizations and companies outside of Japan to restore their cinematic works, in particular, Criterion Collection and foreign rights holders with money and resources, such as Studio Canal.
How do you know they are not in good shape? They are not 1950's Japanese films and having others do the scanning and mastering is quite common in the US market.

The Studio Ghibli 'not in good shape'? Gimme a break.

Last edited by wuther; 03-12-2017 at 05:01 PM.
wuther is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I know they did a 4K film scan for the fairly recent Belladonna of Sadness Blu-ray. No hint of a possible UHD version but that could be down the line.

http://doblu.com/2016/07/26/belladon...lu-ray-review/

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Bummers,

while "Koe no Katachi" will be released in May in Japan (with no subtitles), it will not be released in the U.S. until December 2017... It also appears that "Kimi no Na Wa" will be released in the same time frame.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is online now  
Old Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Anchor Bay is looking into releasing a fixed GITS SAC Blu-Ray package, but it hinges on them having access to the source material, which may or may not be in their possession.
LexInVA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off