Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
A local disc media store is closing and their Anime section with liquidation prices is finally competitive but it is so hard to find professional reviews for titles that are not just 'buy dvd now' writeups like Rideback.
Funimation isn't particularly willing to hand out review copies beyond a handful of very cozy anime sites. I'm not sure the company wants much scrutiny on the technical merits of their Blu-ray releases.

I have reviewed a number of anime sets in the PQ Tiers thread if you wanted to search it.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Funimation isn't particularly willing to hand out review copies beyond a handful of very cozy anime sites. I'm not sure the company wants much scrutiny on the technical merits of their Blu-ray releases.

I have reviewed a number of anime sets in the PQ Tiers thread if you wanted to search it.
Nice but I am not looking for pq sites. I am looking for general reviews of the stories by sites like TimeOut & AllMovie by professionals not flogging discs.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Nice but I am not looking for pq sites. I am looking for general reviews of the stories by sites like TimeOut & AllMovie by professionals not flogging discs.
TBH your best bet is prob gonna be asking on reddit in /r/anime or going to MAL and reading reviews there (https://myanimelist.net/)

Old 03-01-2017, 05:10 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 73
not sure if this helps but I go to https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ and check out their reviews.

For example, Sword of the Stranger BD+DVD has the below.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/rev...bd-dvd/.112461

Overall (dub) : B+
Overall (sub) : A-
Story : B
Animation : A+
Art : A
Music : B+
+ A nearly perfect action movie, telling the classic tale of a nameless soldier with energy and astonishing beauty.
− The consistently cliche story limits the film's emotional scope.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Bummers... "Koe no Katachi" (A Silent Voice) will be released on disc in Japan on May 17. This is one of the most popular animes released. It is about a boy who bullies a deaf girl in school who is forced to move because of his actions and is ostracized by his classmates. He later tries to make amends when he meets the girl later on...

The bummer part, the movie is released in an all-region Blu-Ray for $50 but has no subtitles! What's up with that?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Anyone think the classic Gundam BDs are worth buying? I watched Gundam Origin on Hulu the other day and got hooked. Since Gundam has never really been available in Murica until recently, I figured that I'd give it a watch and I liked it.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
TBH your best bet is prob gonna be asking on reddit in /r/anime or going to MAL and reading reviews there (https://myanimelist.net/)
Those are in the 'user' comments category like anidb.net and animenewsnetwork. All three have nice layout give some useful info but far from professional reviews like theanimereview & otakuusamagazine that go in-depth of the history of the anime, if it was a cancelled in the middle of storyline, if it is a continuation of something, etc and from what I can tell do not have a 'buy dvd now'. Just my luck Rideback is missing from those two.

Last edited by wuther; 03-01-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
The bummer part, the movie is released in an all-region Blu-Ray for $50 but has no subtitles! What's up with that?
It's unfortunately somewhat common for Japanese releases to have no or only Japanese subtitles.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post
It's unfortunately somewhat common for Japanese releases to have no or only Japanese subtitles.
True, but why on a all-region disc? Curious as it seems to be a dumb idea...

Old 03-10-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Freedom gets re-released next month, in a BD/DVD set. From Discotek, of all companies. You can pre-order at Rightstuf for $20. It likely won't be as good as the original Bandai release, but you can't beat the price.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Once I had a problem disc from a Discotek release and they replaced it with no hassles unlike paramount.

Last edited by wuther; 03-11-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
its going to be a while as most anime is animated in 720-1080p (if luck), it would just be upscale to 4k which kida defeats the purpose. People have said they would animate in 4k if someone gave them 4x the budget to enable them to do it
It should of occurred to me earlier but if they were of a mind to do it anime distributors can now do UHD BDs in native UHD of the productions done in the good of days of traditional anime animation. Namely the greats like Galaxy 999, Gundam, Studio Ghibli and Star Blazers. The HDR would be at best muted but I could care less.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
True, but why on a all-region disc? Curious as it seems to be a dumb idea...
There's a very a long, detailed and complicated answer somewhere, but Japan is a very inward-facing country, and their Blu-rays and other media are very not catered to non-Japanese audiences.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It should of occurred to me earlier but if they were of a mind to do it anime distributors can now do UHD BDs in native UHD of the productions done in the good of days of traditional anime animation. Namely the greats like Galaxy 999, Gundam, Studio Ghibli and Star Blazers. The HDR would be at best muted but I could care less.
It's difficult to do that because the older film mediums are not in good shape and Japan doesn't really have the infrastructure or talent required for high-end restoration work. It's something they are only now dipping their toes into, with 4K restorations of Godzilla and such. Until recently, the most they could do in the country was limited to HD restorations and those have never been done well, due to the lack of resources and knowledge. Historically, they have always relied on organizations and companies outside of Japan to restore their cinematic works, in particular, Criterion Collection and foreign rights holders with money and resources, such as Studio Canal.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
It's difficult to do that because the older film mediums are not in good shape and Japan doesn't really have the infrastructure or talent required for high-end restoration work. It's something they are only now dipping their toes into, with 4K restorations of Godzilla and such. Until recently, the most they could do in the country was limited to HD restorations and those have never been done well, due to the lack of resources and knowledge. Historically, they have always relied on organizations and companies outside of Japan to restore their cinematic works, in particular, Criterion Collection and foreign rights holders with money and resources, such as Studio Canal.
How do you know they are not in good shape? They are not 1950's Japanese films and having others do the scanning and mastering is quite common in the US market.

The Studio Ghibli 'not in good shape'? Gimme a break.

Last edited by wuther; 03-12-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I know they did a 4K film scan for the fairly recent Belladonna of Sadness Blu-ray. No hint of a possible UHD version but that could be down the line.

http://doblu.com/2016/07/26/belladon...lu-ray-review/

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bummers,

while "Koe no Katachi" will be released in May in Japan (with no subtitles), it will not be released in the U.S. until December 2017... It also appears that "Kimi no Na Wa" will be released in the same time frame.

Old Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anchor Bay is looking into releasing a fixed GITS SAC Blu-Ray package, but it hinges on them having access to the source material, which may or may not be in their possession.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread