Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #661 of 677 Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Good luck in finding SOA on Blu-Ray... Season 1 is hard to find, IIRC the price for the Blu-Ray set is $200 SRP... Like I said, Japanese anime is real expensive...
Man, you ain't kidding!! It's been a loooong time since I've purchased any anime, but I'm ready to start collecting again. Most of my collection is on laser disc or standard DVD, but none of it was ever terribly expensive, at least not U.S. release versions! Yeah, some of the original japanese laser discs were pricey I guess, but most of my collection I bought used A-grade stuff for next to nothing!

But sheesh! This stuff is crazy...

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 677 Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Man, you ain't kidding!! It's been a loooong time since I've purchased any anime, but I'm ready to start collecting again. Most of my collection is on laser disc or standard DVD, but none of it was ever terribly expensive, at least not U.S. release versions! Yeah, some of the original japanese laser discs were pricey I guess, but most of my collection I bought used A-grade stuff for next to nothing!

There is a lot of affordable anime on Blu-ray. You just have to avoid anything from Aniplex, which prices their American releases at parity with the Japanese release. Most sets from Funimation and Sentai are reasonably priced.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #663 of 677 Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

What price are expecting anime seasons to be?

post #664 of 677 Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
There is a lot of affordable anime on Blu-ray. You just have to avoid anything from Aniplex, which prices their American releases at parity with the Japanese release. Most sets from Funimation and Sentai are reasonably priced.
Ah, too bad! Aniplex seems to bring quite a bit of stuff over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
What price are expecting anime seasons to be?
I'd expect a season to be in the $30-$50.00 range.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #665 of 677 Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Just wait for a good Sentai/RightStuf flash sale and you're good to go. I have bought a ton of anime from them in the last three months. Over $1K worth and it cost me about $500.
post #666 of 677 Old 05-22-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Ah, too bad! Aniplex seems to bring quite a bit of stuff over!

I'd expect a season to be in the $30-$50.00 range.
You can find some anime seasons in that price range when they are on sale.
post #667 of 677 Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Is there anyone else having severe problems posting to this site in the past day? After having to reset my password, I'm getting a captcha to make posts.

It's a bizarre amalgam of over-the-top violence and fan service, but Triage X looks nice on BD.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #668 of 677 Old 05-31-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Is there anyone else having severe problems posting to this site in the past day? After having to reset my password, I'm getting a captcha to make posts.
Nope, I've not encountered any issues with the site.....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #669 of 677 Old 05-31-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I ordered the Japanese release of Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) from YesAsia.com... i should get it 06/01... I will post my view on the movie then.

Oddly, the English title of the movie is "A Shape of Voice"... Note that the Japanese release only has Japanese subtitles. There is no announcement if or when the "international" version will be released.

I have seen that the movie has been posted online on some sites but the embedded subtitles have been somewhat lacking since there was no official subtitle available.

For future movies, i think I will order from CDJapan iso YesAsia. YesAsia is based in Hong Kong and shipping to Hawaii is convoluted as there is no direct HKG-HNL flights... The package was sent from HKG to OSA to OAK and then to HNL. If I order from CDJapan, it would be shipped directly from TYO-HNL, a lot quicker. Of course shipments to the continental US would be different as there are direct HKG flights to the west coast.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #670 of 677 Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ordered the Japanese release of Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) from YesAsia.com... i should get it 06/01... I will post my view on the movie then.

Oddly, the English title of the movie is "A Shape of Voice"... Note that the Japanese release only has Japanese subtitles. There is no announcement if or when the "international" version will be released.

I have seen that the movie has been posted online on some sites but the embedded subtitles have been somewhat lacking since there was no official subtitle available.

For future movies, i think I will order from CDJapan iso YesAsia. YesAsia is based in Hong Kong and shipping to Hawaii is convoluted as there is no direct HKG-HNL flights... The package was sent from HKG to OSA to OAK and then to HNL. If I order from CDJapan, it would be shipped directly from TYO-HNL, a lot quicker. Of course shipments to the continental US would be different as there are direct HKG flights to the west coast.
That would be the literal translation, "A Voice's Shape", but interestingly in the context of the film, a deaf character and implication of the unspoken, the title can be perceived as "Silent Voice", and would certainly more appropriate for this film. Might also have something to do with the kanji being used for "voice", which from what I understand is not really in use. So there must be movie context that is also responsible for that?

I pretty surprised there is no Hong Kong to Hawaii direct flight! Definitely a convoluted way to get there, I don't even know "OSA"! Where the heck is that? Maybe it's the carrier they use and the package processing flow?

How do prices compare between the two?

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #671 of 677 Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That would be the literal translation, "A Voice's Shape", but interestingly in the context of the film, a deaf character and implication of the unspoken, the title can be perceived as "Silent Voice", and would certainly more appropriate for this film. Might also have something to do with the kanji being used for "voice", which from what I understand is not really in use. So there must be movie context that is also responsible for that?

I pretty surprised there is no Hong Kong to Hawaii direct flight! Definitely a convoluted way to get there, I don't even know "OSA"! Where the heck is that? Maybe it's the carrier they use and the package processing flow?

How do prices compare between the two?
OSA is Osaka airport... I was surprised that when i got home, the movie was already delivered, a day ahead of schedule which is very unusual for Fedex. The anime itself is 42GB in size. The only additional features on the disc are two music videos and two DTS-X Headphone demos...

The soundtrack is in PCM 5.1 and DTS-HD Master Audio in 2.0 channels. I did notice that there is a difference in the Blu-Ray and the online versions of the movie, there are areas where the timing is different from the original movie... On one particular scene, the timing was off by several seconds, but the movie was in synch at the end. I had created a SRT subtitle file so I could merge it with the Blu-Ray file but the subs ended out of synch in the different areas so i have to re-edit the SRT file to correct the synching problem...

Overall, the PQ is pretty good... Anime does not have much detail so the compression will not noticeably affect the end video. The movie is 130 minutes long and the story is very moving... It is geared as an adult drama so kids may not like it that much. This movie beat "Kimi no Na Wa" as anime of the year but did not gross as much in the end.

There is a deluxe version which is $30 more ($80) but the additional features are in Japanese with no subs which made it rather useless for me. Like I mentioned, there is no announced date for an "international" release with English subs so I decided to buy this... Overall, i think it is a great movie, but one should not buy it unless they can understand Japanese or can find the subtitle file and merge it using Handbrake.

post #672 of 677 Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OSA is Osaka airport... I was surprised that when i got home, the movie was already delivered, a day ahead of schedule which is very unusual for Fedex.
HA! I though OSA might be Osaka, but I thought the official identifier was different (Kansai Intl.?) - OSA is a small, regional airport here on the mainland, which I though odd - why would an aircraft fly from Hong to a regional to Oakland and then to Hawaii. Osaka makes much more sense.

Quote:
Overall, the PQ is pretty good... Anime does not have much detail so the compression will not noticeably affect the end video. The movie is 130 minutes long and the story is very moving... It is geared as an adult drama so kids may not like it that much. This movie beat "Kimi no Na Wa" as anime of the year but did not gross as much in the end.
I actually do really like this style of anime, the more serious, actual story type. But man, those prices might keep me away. That's some bucks for a single movie. Have you found a good used market for disks anywhere? I used to collect laser disc, was able to buy a lot of used in fantastic condition for just a few bucks equivalent back when I had access to the used market in Japan. I've not looked into DVD or Bluray though....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #673 of 677 Old 06-01-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately, finding used anime Blu-Rays is pretty difficult (other than eBay) as the market in the U.S. is pretty small.

Usually, once an anime sells out, it is forever out of print. Very few titles get re-released. The only ones i can think of are the Ghost in the Shell series, Akira and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. This means that if you want a movie, you have to buy it when it gets released or else you may be out of luck in the future.

Here are some screen caps (of course screen caps do not do the real image justice)... One shows the subtitle that I embedded into the video since English subs were not included... The spelling is off because it is the girl saying "I like you", but like most hearing impaired people, their language skills are also impaired... I made the subtitle yellow for legibility, I find that white subs can be hard to read in some bright scenes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-2017 7-16-38 AM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2166426   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-2017 7-13-37 AM.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	2166434   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-2017 7-12-03 AM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	2166442   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-2017 7-10-53 AM.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	2166450   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-2017 7-09-20 AM.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	2166458  

Last edited by Jon S; 06-01-2017 at 10:21 AM.
post #674 of 677 Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are some screen caps (of course screen caps do not do the real image justice)... One shows the subtitle that I embedded into the video since English subs were not included... The spelling is off because it is the girl saying "I like you", but like most hearing impaired people, their language skills are also impaired... I made the subtitle yellow for legibility, I find that white subs can be hard to read in some bright scenes.
Looks good, and YES - yellow is definitely better (for me) for subtitling!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #675 of 677 Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I decided to make a slipcover for Koe no Katachi... I also burned the movie to a disc and printed it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	2188425  
aaronwt and Jonas2 like this.

post #676 of 677 Old 06-14-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I decided to make a slipcover for Koe no Katachi... I also burned the movie to a disc and printed it...
Nice work!!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #677 of 677 Old 06-15-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Sentai has a "School Is Out!" sale going on. Pretty much everything in their catalog is on sale.
Phantom Stranger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page