Face/Off Japanese BD is here. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered from Amazon.co.jp.

Disc is 1080p AVC, English LPCM 5.1, DD5.1, Japanese DTS, Thai 5.1, Portuguese 2.0. Subs; English, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Indonesian, Korean, Spanish. It's marked as "All Regions" on the back too.

Flicked through it real quick, pretty decent disc. Fairly sharp (some minor EE in places but nothing too distracting or deal breaking IMO), small amount of grain, from what I saw of the opening plane scene no blocking or anything out of place. I've seen two broadcast versions of this, one from HBO (I think, might be some equivalent US channel), which seemed fairly noisy in places and had a LOT of EE in comparison (the colours were also worse, seemed dessaturated), had quite a few specs and scratches on the print, junk at the top of the frame on scene changes, etc etc. The disc does have a few specs but nowhere near as many as that broadcast, no junk on scenechanes either. The other broadcast was a different master used and shown here in the UK on Sky HD which was just plain bad (DNRed, very smeary, colours were WAY all off). The BD is much better than both.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the Paramount release regarding codec and/or audio choice, but if you're a fan of the movie this is worth picking up.
House is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
foots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good to hear!! This is my first time importing and I've been looking forward to its arrival.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on yesasia to ship it.
foots is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great news House, thank you very much for posting your early impressions.


I'm crazy about this one. Excellent flick IMO.

Can you confirm if there's portuguese subtitles, and not only dub?

Also if you can check the bitrate on the PCM track, can you post back please?
AlexBC is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC View Post

Great news House, thank you very much for posting your early impressions.


I'm crazy about this one. Excellent flick IMO.

Can you confirm if there's portuguese subtitles, and not only dub?

Also if you can check the bitrate on the PCM track, can you post back please?

PCM = 4608Kbit/s

And yes, there are Port subs, sorry, must have missed them.
House is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hum no 48/24, but great nonetheless

Thank you very much
AlexBC is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it's not asking too much, can you post a shot of the disc itself.

As strange as it may seem, I'm relly into disc arts. I'm thinking of importing a few more Disney Japanese BDs, so I'd like to know how's their label style.

Thanks again.
AlexBC is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You'll have to excuse my crappy camera and shooting skills.



House is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much House,

I really apreciate it. I can see they are very similar to US ones
AlexBC is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
would it play on US ps3
zoro is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Japan and the US share the same region, so yes. Like I said it's marked as "All Regions" anyway.
House is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Evangelo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post

And yes, there are Port subs, sorry, must have missed them.

Stupid question, but waht are port subs?
Are these forced subs that you can not turn off?
-Evangelo2
Evangelo2 is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Evangelo,

it's Portuguese subtitles.

I live in Brazil, so even though I don't need subs to watch. It's nice to have it so I can watch with family and friends.

Since I have to import anything anyways, it makes little difference if I buy from US or Japan.

Sony US BDs usually have port subs and none for the Jap release, and BV is the other way around. So I'll get US Sony discs and Jp BV discs
AlexBC is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
how much $US to import via amazon?
zoro is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member
 
nyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wasn't this announced for summer release on BD here in the States?
nyg is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Adam_ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post

Wasn't this announced for summer release on BD here in the States?

It's supposed to be out in August. The problem is Paramount doesn't do PCM tracks or any kind of lossless audio for that matter. At least not so far. And to make matters worse, they use a lower bitrate for the DD 5.1 tracks on the Blu-ray version.
Adam_ME is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Member
 
tequila66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, i'm from Spain and I want if you can confirm the Spanish subs.
Thanks.
tequila66 is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 05:20 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member
 
nyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post

It's supposed to be out in August. The problem is Paramount doesn't do PCM tracks or any kind of lossless audio for that matter. At least not so far. And to make matters worse, they use a lower bitrate for the DD 5.1 tracks on the Blu-ray version.

Thanks, at least it's coming. Not that it doesn't disappoint that Paramount doesn't give a crap about audio.
nyg is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Adam_ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post

Thanks, at least it's coming. Not that it doesn't disappoint that Paramount doesn't give a crap about audio.

That's why I always get the HD-DVD version. They also use different codecs for the transfers, although lately there's reportedly been no noticable difference between the HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles.
Adam_ME is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 05-25-2007, 08:13 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member
 
nyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post

That's why I always get the HD-DVD version. They also use different codecs for the transfers, although lately there's reportedly been no noticable difference between the HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles.

I may end up getting the HD DVD versions of some titles when they have lossless audio and the BD counterpart doesn't. However the PQ has always been equal on both formats for the same titles regardless of codec. Thus when the audio is the same I'll always choose the BD version due to better playback performance of their hardware.
nyg is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 06-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
foots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post

Ordered from Amazon.co.jp.

Disc is 1080p AVC, English LPCM 5.1, DD5.1, Japanese DTS, Thai 5.1, Portuguese 2.0. Subs; English, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Indonesian, Korean, Spanish. It's marked as "All Regions" on the back too.

Flicked through it real quick, pretty decent disc. Fairly sharp (some minor EE in places but nothing too distracting or deal breaking IMO), small amount of grain, from what I saw of the opening plane scene no blocking or anything out of place. I've seen two broadcast versions of this, one from HBO (I think, might be some equivalent US channel), which seemed fairly noisy in places and had a LOT of EE in comparison (the colours were also worse, seemed dessaturated), had quite a few specs and scratches on the print, junk at the top of the frame on scene changes, etc etc. The disc does have a few specs but nowhere near as many as that broadcast, no junk on scenechanes either. The other broadcast was a different master used and shown here in the UK on Sky HD which was just plain bad (DNRed, very smeary, colours were WAY all off). The BD is much better than both.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the Paramount release regarding codec and/or audio choice, but if you're a fan of the movie this is worth picking up.

Mine finally arrived today from yesasia. Early in the film, specs and scratches are noticeable. I noticed it less as the movie progressed perhaps because I stopped looking for it as I got into the movie. The film needs a remastered transfer but it is still much better than the DVD. As for the audio..... it is outstanding!!!
foots is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Noel Sequeira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So you understand Japanese or did you have a friend order it from Amazon JP?

THe reason I want to know is to find out whether the Japanese version of Superman Returns has PCM audio on it?

I was looking forward to ordering from the UK but they only stuck a DD track on there.

Thanks, Noel.
Noel Sequeira is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 06-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Delta_FX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I might buy this.
Delta_FX is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 06-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
foots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Sequeira View Post

So you understand Japanese or did you have a friend order it from Amazon JP?

THe reason I want to know is to find out whether the Japanese version of Superman Returns has PCM audio on it?

I was looking forward to ordering from the UK but they only stuck a DD track on there.

Thanks, Noel.

I bought it from yesasia... their site is in English. Also amazon.jp has a choice in one of the upper corners on the home page that will display the site in English.
foots is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off