Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 04-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypav View Post

My copy of BI freezes my Panasonic with a black screen at 1:18:18. If I fast forward right before that point to skip ahead, the rest of the disc plays fine.

This was right after I updated to version 2.1.

Anyone else with playback problems on this disc or after the Panasonic software update?

I had the same problem at about the same time. I heard a loud pop, the picture continued with no audio for a couple of seconds, then the picture went blank and my Panasonic 10A locked up. Had to power it down to get it going again.
I fast forwarded through that scene and it played fine the rest of the way......Sounds like a disc issue.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

I've never seen Basic Instinct either, but I heard its similar to the movie 'Snatch'. But I still don't know what they're referring to...

haha. hopfully that was a joke, anyway you'll see what they mean if not, you'll see.

anyway, despite all the hoopla over the shock value, it's actually really pretty well done and not bad at all, not a showgirls at all.

also lots of nice scenery scenery too with SF and stuff that looks to be from right below Monterey and Carmel.

transfer is much better than SD DVD, if not 100% tops for hidef.
post #63 of 73 Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

I'm underwhelmed by BASIC INSTINCT the same way I was with DIRTY DANCING a week ago. Do they look better than standard DVD? Yeah, sure, but in a short time these transfers will be as ancient as standard DVDs look today. The digital NR is obvious and isn't always distracting, but it's there, and I noticed far too many compression artifacts for a Blu Ray release. It's not unwatchable but it's not nearly as good as, say, most of the Warner catalog titles I've seen on HD-DVD and Blu Ray to date.

Just seems to be a common issue with LG titles; the only one where I didn't find NR to be a problem was FIRST BLOOD, but I've seen too many since that really mark these as "mediocre" Blu Ray discs.

The DTS sound is solid, though, but overall Lionsgate really has not been a feather in Blu Ray's cap so far.

it's a 1000x better transfer than DD
post #64 of 73 Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
just watching it now and i think it looks great

fine detail seems preserved so if there was any DNR they didnt go overboard
post #65 of 73 Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtassone View Post

just watching it now and i think it looks great

fine detail seems preserved so if there was any DNR they didnt go overboard

I tend to trust Gary Murrell on this as he doesn't like DNR so i think this must be a pretty good transfer to Blu Ray.
post #66 of 73 Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
How about screen grabs of DVD, HD-DVD and BD?

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rombullterrier View Post

Sounds like I may have to purchase this disc strictly to investigate the grain and operational issues. This may require repeated viewings with frequent pausing, etc.

And, of course, the Snatch comparison.
post #68 of 73 Old 11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did a search but couldn't find an answer on this...

I know the US version is different from the UK version. Which is better? I know the US has more extras but the UK has lossless audio, etc.

Can anyone shed some light?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #69 of 73 Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the StudioCanal (Euro) BD have the same video/audio transfer as the HD DVD? The HD DVD was much brighter than the US BD on Lionsgate. I thought it looked better overall even if it had some badly done touch-ups. My gripe with the HD DVD was the incorrect pitch on the audio, so if this was corrected for the European BD release, I'd like to know.
post #70 of 73 Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have both the US and the UK version. Not sure which is better. The UK one might have less DNR, but it might be from an older transfer (I don't believe it has the pitch issue) as it looked pretty bad like it was an HD transfer from the 90's. Haven't watched the US one in a while, so I haven't really done a thorough comparison. Maybe just go for whichever is cheaper if you can't wait for a remaster.
post #71 of 73 Old 11-27-2009, 01:51 AM
sa

Liked: 20
I think the Studio Canal version is the best one. It definitely has better picture quality and especially more natural colors than the Lionsgate release.
post #72 of 73 Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

My Basic Instinct Blu Ray won't play, isn't seen. Anyone else have issue with this movie?

My PS3 is fully updated and everything else plays but I put in basic instinct over and over and it's not even detected. The disc looks fine. I don't have a receipt because it was bought years ago, I just never got around to watching it. And Walmart doesn't carry it in stores now. Any ideas or suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 73 Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is an old disc without BD-Java so there shouldn't be a player problem, but someone else reported the same thing on HighDefDigest.

You might want to check the underside of the disc to see whether there are any markings around the ring. There should be barely-visible barcodes and alphanumeric codes. There have been manufacturing errors in the past where a disc was labelled while actually being totally blank and unpressed.

Lionsgate should be able to send you a replacement if you email them but you may have to mail your current copy in.

EDIT: I see you already phoned them and they brushed you off, well damn...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page