Will The Simpsons Movie be on Blu-ray before the end of 2007? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm so hyped for The Simpsons Movie on Blu-ray. In fact, it's one of the main reasons why I bought a PS3. The movie will hit theaters on 7/27, so I wonder if that's early enough to allow for a BD release for the holidays. And by the way, this movie is going to look stunning in HD. I still have the HD trailer that was aired on Fox last February saved on my Tivo. It's beautiful.

Five-dollar HD DVDs effing rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Even with their delays, I'm sure Fox will make sure this one is out before Christmas. They don't seem to have problems releasing day & date new release titles. Although I wouldn't be shocked if this one was another BD-25 with 0 features. Similar to what they did with Eragon and Night at the Museum.
post #3 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
It will hit DVD in November. BD...who knows, but I'll be waiting.
post #4 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM

I don't know, Mr. Cinema. Fox has been hit-and-miss with even their day-and-date titles (Reno 911: Miami, Hills Have Eyes 2, Pathfinder).
post #5 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by egy971 View Post

I don't know, Mr. Cinema. Fox has been hit-and-miss with even their day-and-date titles (Reno 911: Miami, Hills Have Eyes 2, Pathfinder).

I'm sure Simpsons will be a much bigger hit than the last 2 films.
post #6 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

I'm sure Simpsons will be a much bigger hit than the last 2 films.

Who knows, it may be on HD DVD as well if Fox is 're-thinking' its plans right now. No one knows as they have been mum about everything in the past 2 months.

However this is a buy for me on either format.
post #7 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Who knows, it may be on HD DVD as well if Fox is 're-thinking' its plans right now. No one knows as they have been mum about everything in the past 2 months.

Fox is spending a lot of money promoting BD-J to developers...I very much doubt they would rethink their plans to promote a rival format that is BEHIND blu-ray.

Now, Universal on the other hand....
post #8 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 View Post

Fox is spending a lot of money promoting BD-J to developers...I very much doubt they would rethink their plans to promote a rival format that is BEHIND blu-ray.

Now, Universal on the other hand....

Yeah, yawn. Let me know when they actually release some damn titles.
Universal is releasing them...but not Fox...or Sony...
post #9 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Yeah, yawn. Let me know when they actually release some damn titles.
Universal is releasing them...but not Fox...or Sony...

Huh? Sony is not releasing titles?

And as far as I know fox has released titles in the past and even recently for date and day releases, like Night at the Museum, which I just got....

As for The simpsons, I'm sure the movie will be a blockbuster and will likely come out as a day and date release on blu-ray just like night at the museum....

I still remember when i was in college and the simpsons first came out....now, a couple decades later, who woulda believe it, but it's still there!!!!

Another series that deserves better is that time traveling one called futurama...i got most of the episodes on SD DVD, but i think i'd get the blu-ray versions if they ever came out....
post #10 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 View Post

Huh? Sony is not releasing titles?

And as far as I know fox has released titles in the past and even recently for date and day releases, like Night at the Museum, which I just got....

As for The simpsons, I'm sure the movie will be a blockbuster and will likely come out as a day and date release on blu-ray just like night at the museum....

I still remember when i was in college and the simpsons first came out....now, a couple decades later, who woulda believe it, but it's still there!!!!

Another series that deserves better is that time traveling one called futurama...i got most of the episodes on SD DVD, but i think i'd get the blu-ray versions if they ever came out....

whats coming from fox next?
what about disney?
what about sony?

name more then 1-2 titles from each studio cause i didnt spend $600 for a ps3 just to watch 3 movies each month..
post #11 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM

I think the bigger question is does it matter? Wait! Dont go nuts yet you lunatics!! What I mean to say is will a cartoon in High def show a difference from standard upconv. dvd?
post #12 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

what about disney?
what about sony?

name more then 1-2 titles from each studio cause i didnt spend $600 for a ps3 just to watch 3 movies each month..

POTC 3 & Cars
Spiderman 1, 2 & 3.

They may not have firm release dates, but if all of them don't make it out by Dec. 31 of this year, please feel free to send me a hate letter and tell me I was wrong.

Chet
post #13 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what about disney?
what about sony?

You're taste in movie is purely opinion.

I know i'am getting Hellboy from sony this june on bluray, also Blood Diamond, on HD DVD i'am only interested in Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the dead, from what been annonced for the next 2 month and a half, most title, for me, are crap..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #14 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 PM

**** fox

113 Blu ray movies 600+ dvd
post #15 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

POTC 3 & Cars
Spiderman 1, 2 & 3.

They may not have firm release dates, but if all of them don't make it out by Dec. 31 of this year, please feel free to send me a hate letter and tell me I was wrong.

cars got delayed and theirs no release dates for the other movies you mentioned. its just wishful thinking. kind of like me saying oooo scarface is coming to hd-dvd and if it doesnt then ill make up another excuse.

yes theirs plenty of blu ray movies available now to buy on blu ray but what new movies are coming out? i own about 100 movies of both blu ray and hd-dvd and i am not gona start buying movies i dont like just for teh sake of using my ps3.
post #16 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what about disney?
what about sony?

There are more than 2 titles each coming from Sony and Disney. You may not like the films but that doesn't mean there are no titles coming.
post #17 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cars got delayed and theirs no release dates for the other movies you mentioned. its just wishful thinking. kind of like me saying oooo scarface is coming to hd-dvd and if it doesnt then ill make up another excuse.

yes theirs plenty of blu ray movies available now to buy on blu ray but what new movies are coming out? i own about 100 movies of both blu ray and hd-dvd and i am not gona start buying movies i dont like just for teh sake of using my ps3.

I could have swore I said "They may not have firm release dates, but if all of them don't make it out by Dec. 31 of this year, please feel free to send me a hate letter and tell me I was wrong." Did I not say that?

Chet
post #18 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

I could have swore I said "They may not have firm release dates, but if all of them don't make it out by Dec. 31 of this year, please feel free to send me a hate letter and tell me I was wrong." Did I not say that?

well im not asking you want you wish will come to blu ray, cause without proof or a link its just wishful thinking.

please provide proof of them coming to blu ray with a release date.

oh yah i seen hellboy is coming and ghost rider but only 2 movies in what like 2 months time?
post #19 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well im not asking you want you wish will come to blu ray, cause without proof or a link its just wishful thinking.

oh yah i seen hellboy is coming and ghost rider but only 2 movies in what like 2 months time?

Is it so hard to look at a release list?

Sony:

Jun 05
Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band Live In Dublin
Hellboy
The Messangers
Rescue Me Season 3

June 12
Blood and Chocolate
Cruel Intentions
Ghost Rider
Seven Years in Tibet

Jul 03
Flatliners
The Patriot

Jul 17
The Fifth Element: Remastered
Premonition
Wild Things

Jul 24
Reign Over Me

Aug 7
Are We Done Yet?
Arlington Road
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

Aug 14
Vacancy
post #20 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whatever dude. I don't give a rat's ass if you believe me or not. I'm not here to please you. How about you send me an IM on Dec. 31 (or on the last release date in which all of those titles have been released, whichever comes first) and either rub it in my face or tell me I was right? If I'm wrong, I won't make any excuses and you'll get some satisfaction out of the deal. If you're wrong, hey, get you more releases and you can tell me how happy you are that you have five more Blu-Ray releases. Either way, you win.

Chet
post #21 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibrancy View Post

I think the bigger question is does it matter? Wait! Dont go nuts yet you lunatics!! What I mean to say is will a cartoon in High def show a difference from standard upconv. dvd?

The answer is an emphatic yes. If you saw the HD trailer that was aired on Fox a couple months back, you would realize what an ignorant question that is.

post #22 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foots View Post

Is it so hard to look at a release list?

Sony:

Jun 05
Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band Live In Dublin
Hellboy
The Messangers
Rescue Me Season 3

June 12
Blood and Chocolate
Cruel Intentions
Ghost Rider
Seven Years in Tibet

Jul 03
Flatliners
The Patriot

Jul 17
The Fifth Element: Remastered
Premonition
Wild Things

Jul 24
Reign Over Me

Aug 7
Are We Done Yet?
Arlington Road
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

Aug 14
Vacancy

7 movies next month
4 the month after that cause the fifth element i already own on blu ray
1 after that month
3 after that month

taht doesn't look like a good release schedule at all. im not saying the movies suck just that their needs to be more.

hopefully fox and disney get on the ball and put out a release schedule and dont delay it
post #23 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony:

Jun 05
Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band Live In Dublin (PASS)
Hellboy
The Messangers (PASS)
Rescue Me Season 3 (PASS)

June 12
Blood and Chocolate (PASS)
Cruel Intentions (PASS)
Ghost Rider
Seven Years in Tibet (PASS)

Jul 03
Flatliners (PASS)
The Patriot (PASS)

Jul 17
The Fifth Element: Remastered (PASS)
Premonition (PASS)
Wild Things (PASS)

Jul 24
Reign Over Me (PASS)

Aug 7
Are We Done Yet? (PASS)
Arlington Road (PASS)
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within (PASS)

Aug 14
Vacancy (PASS)

Two titles I might get out of the whole batch.

That list is about as boring as Universal's. And I will believe a Fox release when I see it on the shelf, lol. I don't see a lot of exciting announcements (particularly catalog) coming from anybody on either side of the high def format war. It seems like we are in a bit of a "play it safe" mode right now as far as the studios are concerned. We are getting some nice titles here and there (I picked up six last week) but the back catalog titles announced are getting to be exclusively those that are available on regular DVD in the four dollar bin at Wal-Mart. Hopefully things will pick up as we get closer to the fourth quarter...

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #24 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzle View Post

The answer is an emphatic yes. If you saw the HD trailer that was aired on Fox a couple months back, you would realize what an ignorant question that is.

I had a similar debate with someone over another cartoon. I had the cartoon on my DVR in high def and He wouldnt bet the house on being able to distinguish between the High-def vs the dvd version. So you are telling me that If the "simpsons" movie playing on a high end dvd player on a high end television assuming it's a good transfer will be that evident? Or will you need to do a couple of A/B tests to compare the difference? If I blindfolded you and showed you my display will you automatically distinguish the 2 versions? Will you bet everything you own?
post #25 of 37 Old 05-29-2007, 11:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I don't buy SD dvds anymore so that is a moot point for me. It's either HD or nothing from here on out for my theater...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #26 of 37 Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

It could be out on blu-ray by december but would it look that much better than a dvd. Its a simple cartoon. With that said, i'd still buy it . Anyway, fox isn't going neutral. They are heavily behind blu-ray but have a phobia of their movies being all over their net. The day fox realizes that you will never have a 100% hacker proof movie, the better we all will be. They have many great titles to release yet they sit there on their butts doing nothing. I praise universal for the sheer amount of titles being released for hd-dvd even though they are all old catalog titles which probably won't sell too well but at least they are doing something. Once fox starts to release titles again, i expect them to go all out in a similar way to universal. We are waiting for xmen1 and 2, predator, mr and mrs smith, maybe aliens if possible. There are so many
post #27 of 37 Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibrancy View Post

I had a similar debate with someone over another cartoon. I had the cartoon on my DVR in high def and He wouldnt bet the house on being able to distinguish between the High-def vs the dvd version. So you are telling me that If the "simpsons" movie playing on a high end dvd player on a high end television assuming it's a good transfer will be that evident? Or will you need to do a couple of A/B tests to compare the difference? If I blindfolded you and showed you my display will you automatically distinguish the 2 versions? Will you bet everything you own?

Yeah, I would bet the house. I wouldn't necessarily make the bet if we were talking about a regular Simpsons episode presented in HD, but the movie is has much finer lines, more detail, more vibrant colors and just a crisper look to it than the TV show. All you have to do is see it and you'll get it.

post #28 of 37 Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 AM

Fox would have to be smoking something pretty strong to not seize the opportunity to get this on out before Christmas. There are many, many people (myself included) who buy the season DVDs, the day they are released in August and get the December release as a Christmas gift. It would be pretty easy to have a tie in, and sell a buttload of copies of the movie, just in time for Christmas.

If Fox doesn't get this out in time, or skimp on the extras they can "kiss my hairy yellow butt" goodbye!

360 + PS3 = Format neutral
BRD:73.HD-DVD:37.DVD:700+
post #29 of 37 Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Not to be TOO negative (but I know I'll come off like that), but isnt it a little odd to have a bunch of threads anticipating bluray releases of movies that arent even out yet in theaters? I mean, I'm excited about the advancement of the technology, release of more (and bigger) movies, but in my opinion, the forum ought to be a place to discuss the home video market, not movies coming out in theaters. It's just strange to me that people are getting excited about bluray releases or wondering if their future favorite movie might come to bluray. We dont have any inside information...at most, we have speculation and a guiding link to the imdb to see what studio made/distributes these new releases, and going off of our knowledge of studio support, ASSUME that a BD release is imminent.
post #30 of 37 Old 05-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyC79 View Post

Not to be TOO negative (but I know I'll come off like that), but isnt it a little odd to have a bunch of threads anticipating bluray releases of movies that arent even out yet in theaters?

This is the Blu-ray forum, dude. Odd is the rule around these parts.

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page