Blu-ray disc rot on a few titles! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

HM, thanks but I'll pass. It now appears that my local Blockbuster Video rental store will be exclusively carrying lots of Blu-ray discs (over 170 titles to start) beginning in July. I'll ask them to be on the look out for this and let me know if any show up. My expectation is that none will appear. But if any do, I'll post the info.

I hate it when it's free internet access day at the facility.

You think that just because BB made the "announcement" yesterday that suddenly your BB will have over 170 BR titles in your store? Knowing BB, I doubt they'll suddenly buy each store all BR titles available just to satisfy a few customers.

But just for kicks and giggles, I checked my copy of The Prestige and so far so good, but I only bought it last week. Hopefully it's just an isolated problem with a few discs and the problem will be taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Checked all of my discs. Everything looks good.

post #273 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanMedia View Post

A wild goose chase?

Just be thankful people here are alerting you to this and you have verified your discs are OK without finding out in a years time.

Personally I have a replacement from Amazon, so I am happy now, but very wary of quality control issues. Every character I type in this discussion is merely to help other people, and to nail the scope of this problem down.

BTW all of Ebay is based on people sending money to others on the internet. The only reason Im asking $6 is to cover the air mail, so I am not out of pocket. I dont need this proved to me, as I have experienced it first hand. Its for those with their heads in the sand, who really must prove it to themselves.

I will PM PaidGeek and the NZ poster who is interested.

I did some checking on this issue and found out that this is an isolated case with a limited number of discs affected from 1 title. Apparently there was some sort of impurity that was mixed in with a batch of material used for this production run and it was simple a fluke. You Blu-ray library is safe.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #274 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

I hate it when it's free internet access day at the facility.

You think that just because BB made the "announcement" yesterday that suddenly your BB will have over 170 BR titles in your store? Knowing BB, I doubt they'll suddenly buy each store all BR titles available just to satisfy a few customers.

But just for kicks and giggles, I checked my copy of The Prestige and so far so good, but I only bought it last week. Hopefully it's just an isolated problem with a few discs and the problem will be taken care of.

Well that (in July START with over 170 blu-ray titles - presumably multiple copies) is what they announced they'd do at the selected locations. I'll post something when my local BB (they've told me that they understand that they'll be one of the stores getting Blu-rays) stocks up to let folks know what they actually do. I don't think they'd announce that they were going to do this unless that was their intention. Time will tell. If they haven't stocked up by the end of July I'll post that information also.
post #275 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek View Post

I did some checking on this issue and found out that this is an isolated case with a limited number of discs affected from 1 title. Apparently there was some sort of impurity that was mixed in with a batch of material used for this production run and it was simple a fluke. You Blu-ray library is safe.

Thanks Paidgeek! I now believe that the problem actually existed. My apologies to any I may have doubted.
post #276 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:

So Sony made a statement to you instead of rolling out a press release? Or do you have a contact in an actual blu ray disc pressing facility?
Otherwise you have been fishing around fora like the rest of us ^^
post #277 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffeh View Post

So Sony made a statement to you instead of rolling out a press release? Or do you have a contact in an actual blu ray disc pressing facility?
Otherwise you have been fishing around fora like the rest of us ^^

he's a sony insider.
post #278 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

he's a sony insider.

so, i stand corrected

then again, i'm quite sure a sony insider isn't gonna say that "all discs could be affected"
post #279 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgillespie View Post

This is totally fake....

Anyone notice the clear part of the disc in the centre of the hub also has the defect... If you know ANYTHING about how the blanks are created, you will know this is impossible...

This is nothing for than a few desperate HD-DVD fanboys who have been a bit arty with a flick of a paintbrush....

The fact that you seem to really believe this is scary - and a sign of how ridiculous this whole format war has become.

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #280 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

LMAO who cares if those movies wont play anymore they weren't worthy of 1 viewing let alone 2!!!

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #281 of 397 Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM
jcc
AVS Special Member

As Groucho Marx said,"who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?

If you don't have a vision problem you can clearly see that that second picture has a reddish powder blown on TOP of the disc. Yes, it could be Cinnamon powder but I thought that it was their wife's/girlfriend's make-up powder.

You don't have to take my word for it just use your own eyes. If you can't even tell between something that's inside vs. on top of the disc then there's no hope for you.

I'm an investment manager Jim, Not a doctor!
post #282 of 397 Old 06-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Paidgeek:

Thanks for checking into this issue. Assuming that the one affected title you are referring to is the Prestige, a few people on this thread reported a similar issue with a few other titles: Stranger than Fiction, Gone in Sixty Seconds and the Departed (I cut and pasted another member's tally below)

Could you please check on these additional titles as well please? Thanks.

Venom 5 Prestige
MaxDam77 prestige
digason prestige
nynytony prestige
iLLLLLxiLLLLLx prestige
Carman 24 prestige
Bart122580 Prestige?
elbie prestige?
Michael000 Prestige
HumanMedia Stranger than Fiction
phansson prestige
KstateGRCOAT Departed
Surpher Stranger than Fiction
Dbburns Prestige
Band of Brothers gone in 60 seconds
Jon Spackman Prestige
JohnSteph10 Prestige
post #283 of 397 Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My issue was resolved by Amazon. They replaced the disc and I received a return label today to ship the defective disc back.
post #284 of 397 Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 PM

I actually got a phone call from BVHE today saying they received the disc and that they'd definitely be replacing it (they'd never heard of it when i first called), however it'd be a little bit since for some reason they didn't have any copies of The Prestige to ship out (found this rather odd seeing as they're the distributor and all lol). Was pretty surprised they'd take the time to call, kudos to BVHE's customer service.

I'd recommend anyone with a legit rot problem who didn't buy from Amazon give BVHE a call for a replacement, they'll make sure you get a good copy at no cost to you.
post #285 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 AM

If you knew anything about how the disks work you would know this is diffraction from the 0.32 micron track pitch - does not make the picture a fake - there's a heck of a lot of uninformed "experts" on here :-)
post #286 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Cool.

So I'll be expecting a big press announcement from Sony soon.

These problems have brought about a number of articles, which could undermine the BDA's recent push. I'm sure the last thing Sony would do would be to tell it's insiders to leak the news to an internet forum, but leave the general public who read the article in the dark, and believing there might still be a problem.

I remember some rumour that Universal was going neutral - and Universal had a press release out in less than a day.

How much longer will the BDA wait before putting the public's mind at rest?

Steve W
post #287 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
steve,

this is hardly "news" on the level of a studio changing its policy regarding format exclisivity. a small batch of titles were affected by a bad chemical. That's not exactly a show-stopper and I don't remember Universal rushing to the plate to make long-winded announcements when their combo-discs were defective and refused to play (took them weeks, in fact, to even admit there was a problem at all).

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #288 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 07:52 AM
jcc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongman View Post

If you knew anything about how the disks work you would know this is diffraction from the 0.32 micron track pitch - does not make the picture a fake - there's a heck of a lot of uninformed "experts" on here :-)

Well Genius, care to explain how this "rot" ended up on the clear outer and inner rims of the disc where there's no aluminum substrate?

I'm an investment manager Jim, Not a doctor!
post #289 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

Cool.

These problems have brought about a number of articles, which could undermine the BDA's recent push. I'm sure the last thing Sony would do would be to tell it's insiders to leak the news to an internet forum, but leave the general public who read the article in the dark, and believing there might still be a problem.

I remember some rumour that Universal was going neutral - and Universal had a press release out in less than a day.

How much longer will the BDA wait before putting the public's mind at rest?

Steve W

My mind is very much at rest on this issue! I continue to buy Blu-ray discs which all play flawlessly and are shiny and spotless. And they remain shiny & spotless.
post #290 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Well Genius, care to explain how this "rot" ended up on the clear outer and inner rims of the disc where there's no aluminum substrate?

Because it's not the aluminum in this case. Probably an impurity in the hard-coat or plastic substrate (not necessarily depending on a reaction with the aluminum.

BTW, the "rot" on laserdisc didn't produce dark spots. The aluminum layer just got less shiny and slightly foggy sometimes. This is different.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #291 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma_victor View Post

Paidgeek:

Thanks for checking into this issue. Assuming that the one affected title you are referring to is the Prestige, a few people on this thread reported a similar issue with a few other titles: Stranger than Fiction, Gone in Sixty Seconds and the Departed (I cut and pasted another member's tally below)

Venom 5 Prestige
MaxDam77 prestige
digason prestige
nynytony prestige
iLLLLLxiLLLLLx prestige
Carman 24 prestige
Bart122580 Prestige?
elbie prestige?
Michael000 Prestige
phansson prestige
KstateGRCOAT Departed
Dbburns Prestige
Jon Spackman Prestige
JohnSteph10 Prestige

If there are any Sony Pictures titles with the problem as mentioned above, please PM me and I will arrange for an even exchange for the same title. I would like to have any other examples of this as I have been assured that this was an isolated case.

Sony Pictures BD Insider
post #292 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I have never seen a bunch of grown-ups act so rude and over reactive.
This is not a new thing. It's been happening since the birth of optical disc.
It has always been isolated to a bad production batch. There is no reason to think BD (or HDDVD) is immune.
The pics look real to me, I have no reason to dis-believe and call someone a lier.
Why dont you guys believe them?
I'm sure someone will find a HDDVD thats funky as well. So what! not every production batch is going to be "perfect", send the damn thing back and get a new one, and go on with life
BTW, I guess you guys know this thread has gotten quite alot of attention. Do a Google search for "BluRay rot" and youll see what I mean.
post #293 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Highly doubtful. Companies don't usually release big press announcements saying "We screwed up". Things like this are done on the down-low. Even the disc replacement for The Fifth Element was simply spread to news sites, they didn't actually "announce" anything, they just slipped the information out there and let it spread on it's own.

Quote:

These problems have brought about a number of articles...

All of the articles had their genesis in this very thread. I don't think the problem is nearly as wide-spread as it may appear, because it all boils down to one thread on one forum. As a result, the news that it was a very limited and isolated case, and that Sony and BVE are fully cooperating with anyone who wants a replacement, will also "spread 'round the 'net".

Blu-ray is fine. This isn't even a speed bump on the road, more like a pebble or an annoying radio station.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #294 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Cool.

Why on Earth would Sony issue a press release about a Disney title?
post #295 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma_victor View Post

Paidgeek:

Venom 5 Prestige
MaxDam77 prestige
digason prestige
nynytony prestige
iLLLLLxiLLLLLx prestige
Carman 24 prestige
Bart122580 Prestige?
elbie prestige?
Michael000 Prestige
phansson prestige
KstateGRCOAT Departed
Dbburns Prestige
Jon Spackman Prestige
JohnSteph10 Prestige

Trying to send paidgeek off on a snipe hunt? I don't think he'll bite, although he'll certainly treat you respectfully.
post #296 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If there are any Sony Pictures titles with the problem as mentioned above, please PM me and I will arrange for an even exchange for the same title. I would like to have any other examples of this as I have been assured that this was an isolated case.

I don't have any rot problems, but I want to thank you and Sony pictures as a whole for really stepping up to the plate this year in terms of release quality and being open about correcting any mistakes. Your customers see it and appreciate it.
post #297 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

steve,

this is hardly "news" on the level of a studio changing its policy regarding format exclisivity. a small batch of titles were affected by a bad chemical. That's not exactly a show-stopper and I don't remember Universal rushing to the plate to make long-winded announcements when their combo-discs were defective and refused to play (took them weeks, in fact, to even admit there was a problem at all).

No, I'm not suggesting a fan fare.

But when Universal found a couple of their discs were defective they did make an official announcement about it. They didn't make an announcement until (A) they knew what was wrong, and (B) that the only way to fix it was to replace discs.

According to our 'insider', Sony already have both of these questions answered, so I'm expecting an announcement within a day or so...though actually it's been 2 days since the inside information was posted.

BTW, Universal are not being honest about the causes of the problems.

Exactly the same freezing problems (or one of them, anyway) occurs on ther UK diosc of 'Children of Men', and the UK version isn't a combo!

I'm amazed no-one has picked up on this.

Steve W
post #298 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 83
No problems here at all... Just watch Prestige and disc looked great..... Ditto to theflux post, I had an issue with my XBR1 this year and they replaced it no questions asked... So happy camper here....on the hardware and software end...
post #299 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Highly doubtful. Companies don't usually release big press announcements saying "We screwed up". Things like this are done on the down-low. Even the disc replacement for The Fifth Element was simply spread to news sites, they didn't actually "announce" anything, they just slipped the information out there and let it spread on it's own.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

Websites like Digital Bits and High Def Digest were sent a release.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...e_Program_/705

"Following weeks of rumors, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has finally confirmed the planned release of a remastered version of'The Fifth Element' for Blu-ray, as well as a "Replacement Exchange Program" for consumers unhappy with the original."

You think they confirmed it with High Def Digest by posting something on a forum?

Steve W
post #300 of 397 Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Did I not say "spread to NEWS sites"? There was no big press conference, there was no big hoopla on the front page of Sony.com or on CNN. It was probably nothing more than an email.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page