Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #3961 of 21648 Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This week's releases:

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen: 20th Anniversary Edition Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 1.85:1 | Sony
The 6th Day Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
Space Ace Video: MPEG-2 | Audio: DD | AR: 1.78:1 | Digital Leisure
Sharkwater Video: VC-1 | Audio: DD | AR: 1.85:1 | National Geographic
Yukikaze Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 1.78:1 | Bandai Visual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 21648 Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Vengeance of the Zombies

Tier recommendation: upper quarter of Tier 4

This 1972 Spanish feature(part of a double feature on Blu-ray with Night of the Werewolf) seems fairly faithful to its low budget origins and looks okay if one doesn't have high expectations. It's encoded in AVC on a BD-25 at a feature length of 88 minutes. Bitrates average around 20 Mbps with a range that mostly stays within 18 to 25 Mbps. The visual look of the film doesn't really vary. I didn't notice any compression problems.

The resulting picture is somewhat flat. Artifacting is not really a problem but there just isn't a lot of detail to the transfer. There is some light grain throughout the film. As the cover boldly proclaims "Mastered from the original camera negative", I suspect this is the same HD master they originally used for the dvd released before. My biggest gripe with the transfer was the general lack of detail in facial features and the DNR used. Purists might note that this Blu-ray is not presented in the original aspect ratio of this film(neither was the dvd I believe). It's supposed to be a 1.85 film but the BD is a fullscreen release.

I think this BD fits somewhere around the upper quarter of tier 4, possibly around Silent Hill or Talladega Nights.
post #3963 of 21648 Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

The point I wanted to convey is comparing The Rock and NCFOM which was shot by different directors with unique filming styles ain't going to bring out anything conclusive in terms of placement. It's customary for Michael Bay to shoot Actors/characters in tight, emphatic close ups, framed under the hairline and above the chin. So close-ups on The Rock and other movies of MB is going to look great than some of the new movies shot by different directors.

Just one last comment and them I'm going to let this go. When you go to rank a title, it doesn't matter who the director is or what they tend to do. The absolutely ONLY thing that matters is ABSOLUTE PQ. I don't put in any other factors.

On a side note, I watched 70% of Man on Fire. WOW does this title look good. I think it's in Tier 0 right now and I'd agree with that placement.
post #3964 of 21648 Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Understood. I 100% agree with you that for PQ rating in the tier thread the only thing matters is absolute PQ. Just wanted to convey the fact on how filming style can impact the overall PQ. If you closely observe The Rock and NCFOM you can immediately notice how polished and new the latter looks which you will mostly won't notice on catalog titles which has the potential to suffer from more number of film artefacts.

Blu-ray : 340
post #3965 of 21648 Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally watched my copy of the Departed. I got it when it came out about a year ago, but it was too soon to watch it since I saw it in the theater just 3-4 months before that.

Anyway, The placement is about right... it could probably be moved down a few notches, but there are so many titles in tier 2, it's hard to really know what goes where. Unfortunately with some of the top tier movies, watching a movie like this makes me think "slightly above average", but it is an overall good transfer and i need to remind myself that I'm spoiled.

As far as the actual moive itself, the second viewing reminded me how great this movie/story is...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #3966 of 21648 Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Liked: 50
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, its tier one to me above Underworld, stunning for its age with superb colour defenition and detail in the costumes.
Viewed at 1080i at 6ft played on a Ps3 thro hdmi on a Sony 42 inch 3xlcd RP
post #3967 of 21648 Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'm nominating Sharkwater for mid-to-low Tier 3. There is apparently large amounts of stock footage used here to illustrate past misconceptions of Sharks and old documentary footage. Also there appears to be some SD film/camera footage in other parts that's upscaled for this documentary. For the majority of the rest of the film which is definitely HD, it is still rather soft, never looking much better than Tier 2 material. As a whole I'd say it belongs in Tier 3, on the low end IMO.

PS3->1080p24->46XBR4 (8 feet)

I hope to have Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story tomorrow night for viewing. Thank goodness netflix has gotten it's act together...at least for me.

Brandon
post #3968 of 21648 Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mods,

Please correct this typo (Redition to Rendition)

Redition (UK) Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | EIV

I have just ordered the Blu-ray version of Next and Lucky Number Slevin. Let me post my thoughts on the PQ once I get to watch them.

post #3969 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 AM

Liked: 50
Replacement Killers
Tier 2 under Superbad, looks great with outstanding black levels but some detail lost in indoor scenes
post #3970 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Mods,

Please correct this typo (Redition to Rendition)

Redition (UK) Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | EIV

post #3971 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Replacement Killers
Tier 2 under Superbad, looks great with outstanding black levels but some detail lost in indoor scenes

I second this one. I would put Replacement killers in high Tier 2. Looks kick a$$ for an older dark action movie.
post #3972 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The Devil's Rejects

My tier recommendation: low Tier 2

This title is currently ranked in the middle of Tier 4 and I feel one of the most underrated BDs on the list after viewing it. I wasn't expecting much since this was an early Blu-ray release from Lionsgate in 2006, but this BD has a wonderful film-like transfer that is better than what I remember seeing on opening weekend in the theater.

Lionsgate encoded this 110 minute feature in Mpeg2 and the bitrates average in the lower 20's with a general range of 19-27 Mbps with brief bursts that hit as high 37.1 Mbps. Facial detail is very sharp and skin texture has lots of detail. Black levels are excellent with nary a hint of macroblocking or banding. The only quibble one could bring up is the intentionally grainy style of the way the movie was filmed, but I do not consider natural film grain a defect. There is not a hint of edge enhancement or DNR in this transfer. Kudos to Lionsgate for the job they did on this movie considering many of their other early Blu-rays are not that good.

This is not a Tier 4 movie. It looks better than certain Tier 2 movies like Saw III for instance. At worst this should be near the top of Tier 3 if one can't handle the grain.

Watching on a calibrated 60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma at 1080p/24 from a PS3 and sitting approximately 5 feet away.
post #3973 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM

I just watched "I, Robot" and was completely blown away. Wow, its like one of the best in terms of picture quality I've seen in a while. It smokes "I am Legend" and that had pretty good pic quality.
post #3974 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll nominate this title for high Tier 2. Maybe the top. During the first half of the movie the setting is the 40s and 50s. The contrast is all blown out and fine detail is lacking. As the movie progresses into the 70s and on towards contemporary time, the film starts to really open up as it is less stylized. This is a relatively small portion of the movie, however, and contrast still runs a bit hot. But this portion of the movie looks very good. It could even bump it into Tier 1, as I still don't think it's quite demo material here. Nevertheless, my placement would be high Tier 2.

PS3->1080p24->46XBR4 (8-10ft)

Brandon
post #3975 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Yes, another excellent looking title from the Pirates trilogy!

This is in Tier 0, and I agree that the other Pirates movies belong in Tier 0, so I had high expectations. I was not disappointed!

Perhaps the thing I found most surprising is the fact that this movie is mostly shot in dark interiors. That alone can prevent titles from looking very good. But I have to say that this title has some of the best looking dark scenes that I have ever seen!

The contrast here is superb. Lots of depth, even in the dark scenes. The delineation from dark shadow to pure black is excellent. A display with high contrast ability is a must in order to enjoy the depth that this movie has to offer.

Detail and sharpness is also very good, up there with the best.

I would have a hard time saying that this is better or worse than part 1, they are very close.

Bottom line is that it is certain Tier 0 material.

It should be noted that there are some scenes with blown highlights. I am sure this was intentional, as the scenes involve the multiple Johnny Depp's.

As for the movie: it was certainly better than part 2 (which I absolutely hated) but not quite as enjoyable as the first. And it was definitely TOO LONG!
post #3976 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

It should be noted that there are some scenes with blown highlights. I am sure this was intentional, as the scenes involve the multiple Johnny Depp's.

As for the movie: it was certainly better than part 2 (which I absolutely hated) but not quite as enjoyable as the first. And it was definitely TOO LONG!

Ditto on all that.

Btw, for any PS3 owners, I fiddled around with the BD-Live content on Walk Hard. It's pretty simple and intuitive to figure out, but all that's there are some small featurettes and some trailers. Unfortunately none of them are streamed, so it all must be downloaded first. It would make sense for all of it to be streamed because it's not like we can save it to our hard drive anyway. Nevertheless, the MIB trailer was worth checking out as well as some Adam Sandler movie. Although the print on MIB wasn't very impressive, at least from the trailer.

Brandon
post #3977 of 21648 Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Yes, another excellent looking title from the Pirates trilogy!

This is in Tier 0, and I agree that the other Pirates movies belong in Tier 0, so I had high expectations. I was not disappointed!

Perhaps the thing I found most surprising is the fact that this movie is mostly shot in dark interiors. That alone can prevent titles from looking very good. But I have to say that this title has some of the best looking dark scenes that I have ever seen!

The contrast here is superb. Lots of depth, even in the dark scenes. The delineation from dark shadow to pure black is excellent. A display with high contrast ability is a must in order to enjoy the depth that this movie has to offer.

Detail and sharpness is also very good, up there with the best.

I would have a hard time saying that this is better or worse than part 1, they are very close.

Bottom line is that it is certain Tier 0 material.

It has excellent PQ indeed. To me POTC:AWE and I Robot are the best titles I've seen on BD. Not including the animation movies of course.
post #3978 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I'll nominate this title for high Tier 2. Maybe the top. During the first half of the movie the setting is the 40s and 50s. The contrast is all blown out and fine detail is lacking. As the movie progresses into the 70s and on towards contemporary time, the film starts to really open up as it is less stylized. This is a relatively small portion of the movie, however, and contrast still runs a bit hot. But this portion of the movie looks very good. It could even bump it into Tier 1, as I still don't think it's quite demo material here. Nevertheless, my placement would be high Tier 2.

PS3->1080p24->46XBR4 (8-10ft)

Brandon

I just watched this last night as well and I agree with your assessment and this placement. I was a little disappointed in the PQ, maybe I was expecting more out of one of the first BD Live discs. Also a little disappointed in the movie, though I think I set myself up for disappointment figuring it wasn't going to be as funny as I hoped.

I watched it on the same setup - though about 6-8 feet away.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #3979 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 AM

28 days Later was filmed on an SD cam because that is all they could afford on their budget. It should have been released as an "SD" disk and labeled as such on the disk and packaging.

Thus, it should say in the picture quality rating that the source material IS NOT HD....
post #3980 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

I just watched this last night as well and I agree with your assessment and this placement. I was a little disappointed in the PQ, maybe I was expecting more out of one of the first BD Live discs. Also a little disappointed in the movie, though I think I set myself up for disappointment figuring it wasn't going to be as funny as I hoped.

it was funny to me, but maybe it's because i went to the Chicago premiere w/John C. Reilly and he played a 2 hour set afterwards at the Cubby Bear
post #3981 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

I was a little disappointed in the PQ, maybe I was expecting more out of one of the first BD Live discs. Also a little disappointed in the movie, though I think I set myself up for disappointment figuring it wasn't going to be as funny as I hoped.

Same here. It was funny in spots in the beginning when the story arch was pretty linear. But then about 1 hour into the film the story completely unravels and goes every which-a-way possible, and it got completely boring to me. I did love the theme of him having to overcome his "disability" to make it to the top.

Anyhow, kinda interesting how as the PQ got better the movie got worse (at least to me).

Brandon
post #3982 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 AM

Watched War last night and I'd say it is high Teir 1. Audio was very good.

Movie itself was pretty underwhelming.
post #3983 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Anyone have the UK release of Beowulf? I'm surprised to see that it's not even listed in the unranked list and I've searched the thread...to no avail. Must be that it's not a US release in BluRay yet.

I've got it on order for the UK version and have read very good things about it......

Also should be receiving LiveFreeDieHard, Pans Labyrinth, and Enchanted today. Looking forward to it....ordered before I discovered this thread that ranks them very high.

It's not too cold outside....you're just not dressed for it
post #3984 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Rob,
I agree with you. AWE is... awe inspiring indeed.
post #3985 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Martin View Post

Rob,
I agree with you. AWE is... awe inspiring indeed.

I like the play on the acronym.
post #3986 of 21648 Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Surprisingly it wasn't a horrible movie, but I wasn't expecting much going in.

As far as PQ goes, i think it was very good. Colors were very rich, though it seems that the base black level in this movie was a little light (slightly raised contrast? Not sure). The detail on the chipmunks were as expected -- very good. The movie had film grain similar to Lost -- light, but noticeable. Some scenes it was less noticeable than others, but it wasn't distracting at all. The outdoor scenes all look very sharp and up there with some of the best, and shots that included street gravel had very good detail. Face closeups were very good when they occurred but probably a level below the best.

Overall I'd say this belongs somewhere in lower mid tier 1.

There are hardly any extras on it, so I'm sure most of that 25 GB disc went towards the movie. A couple looks and the bit rate displayed was in the low 20s going to high 20s at times. Fox has been really impressing me with their transfers.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #3987 of 21648 Old 04-11-2008, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Question here.

I know that Across the Universe has been beaten to death by critics out here but I would like to know if it looked inferior to the below titles .

Quote:

The Brave One Video: VC-1 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner
Pan's Labyrinth Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 (Spanish) | AR: 1.85:1 | New Line
Bikini Destinations - Triple Fantasy Video: MPEG-2 | Audio: DD / DTS | AR: 1.78:1 | Magnolia
Santa Clause 3: The Escape ClauseVideo: VC-1 | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.85:1 | Buena Vista
Disturbia Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: DTS | AR: 1.85:1 | Paramount
Tears of the Sun Video: MPEG-2 | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
Stomp the Yard Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: PCM / TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
Rush Hour 3 Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA (7.1) | AR: 2.35:1 | New Line
IMAX: Roving Mars Video: MPEG-4 | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.78:1 | Disney
Home of the Brave Video: ? | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Fox

post #3988 of 21648 Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody watched Baron Munchausen yet? I loved this movie in the past and I am just curious how the transfer is.
post #3989 of 21648 Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

We own the night should be bumped down to tier 4 or placed at the very bottom of tier 3. Very soft, lacking detail, and noisy. At times I felt as if I were watching a standard dvd. Enjoyed the film though .

Calibrated Sony 52XBR4
Denon 2500, 1080p24 @ 10ft. away.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #3990 of 21648 Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Question here.

I know that Across the Universe has been beaten to death by critics out here but I would like to know if it looked inferior to the below titles .

To my eyes,NO!
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page