post #14311 of 21895 Old 11-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl View Post

If any of the movies in question do tickle your fancy, Jim, you could always make note of a particular scene in the movie that you could show as well, while you are on your search for something more ideal.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just received the Boraka BD, and IMO the video quality is about as good as it gets. - Certainly suitable for demo purposes. I have the Sanyo Z3000, and the performance is pretty amazing for what some would consider a relatively low-cost projector. Apparently the 70mm format used in filming Boraka makes a difference.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14312 of 21895 Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I just received the Boraka BD, and IMO the video quality is about as good as it gets. - Certainly suitable for demo purposes. I have the Sanyo Z3000, and the performance is pretty amazing for what some would consider a relatively low-cost projector. Apparently the 70mm format used in filming Boraka makes a difference.

Jim

Hey Jim...glad to hear you're satisfied with Baraka. That happens to be the first Blu-ray I'll use to WOW my family and friends with. There are some scenes in it that are absolutely incredible, my favorite being the temple at the end with all the glass/crystals/precious stones. Not a few people have been totally awed by that shot.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #14313 of 21895 Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I meant to mention that in my review. This one was not bad. Not as good as the first, but better than the second.

I might give it a rental. I felt the second one relied too much on that squirrel for comedic purposes and let the story kind of fall to the wayside. I'll add it to the queue.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #14314 of 21895 Old 11-22-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Seraphim Falls (UK Import)

recommendation: Tier 1.5

Many recent, overlooked movies that deserve to be seen in high-definition resolution are not currently getting Blu-ray editions in the U.S. An excellent period Western starring Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson originally from 2006, Icon saw fit to release it in the U.K. on October 6, 2008 as a region-free disc. The movie, which runs 111-minutes in length, is encoded in the AVC codec on a BD-25. The picture looks quite startling at times with its pleasing quality. Icon has delivered in general an outstanding presentation at 1080p that works as good demonstration material and eye candy.

There are possible arguments for a higher placement than the 1.5 score I have recommended. Many scenes might well rank with the best of tier one on occasion. The cinematography by John Toll is quite astonishing throughout the movie. It is a beautifully shot film that highlights the natural geography of the action. The Rockies and deserts of New Mexico are the settings that provide the wonderful imagery that acts as background to the drama unfolding in the story. The perfect focus and clarity of the image highlight the stark landscapes with fabulous detail and color. As the action shifts from cooler climates to warmer climates, so appropriately the color palette switches from a cold, bluish tint to a warmer, redder tone.

The movie displays a sharpness to the picture that truly enhances the perceived depth. As the snow falls early in the movie, individual snowflakes exhibit an extraordinary three-dimensional appearance. This phenomenon is not limited to select scenes but is consistently demonstrated throughout the film. One of the more consistent titles in that regard which never wavers too much in either direction. The opening act contains the darkest scenes, but black levels are strong with an inky appearance. Textures and micro-details are easily delineated within the shadows, revealing the rich production design with the authenticity of items from the Civil War-era. Visibility in the darker scenes are top-notch, without the pumped up brightness so many other titles show. There is no evidence of black crushing or blown highlights to mar the frame. Contrast is perfect with fleshtones taking a healthy, naturalistic look to them.

The transfer is mostly free from the dreaded addition of edge enhancement or ringing artifacts like halos. Late in the movie, in its final moments, are the first appearance of halos. And these are the glowing, relatively thick kind that can distract discerning viewers on the largest displays. Thankfully they do not linger and only affect certain shots that are short in duration. The picture retains a light layer of film-grain and always displays superior high-frequency information, leading me to not suspect any application of digital noise reduction. Print damage is negligible to the master aside from two exceptions. One scene featuring Gideon trying to extract a bullet in the snow has a single instance of gate hair at the top of the frame that flashes off and on for a minute. A minor amount of debris quickly makes its appearance, and just as quickly, its disappearance, during a climatic scene in the desert. Other than those flaws the master is pristine in quality.

There are arguments to place Seraphim Falls slightly higher in tier one, from the excellent clarity to the stunning locales. The compression encoding is not one of them however. Icon has provided the movie a below-average video bitrate that can not be above 18 or 19 Mbps. It would not be surprising to me if the encode was originally purposed for the obsolete HD DVD format. Major compression artifacts are kept to a minimum, but hints of mosquito noise randomly show up. Slight, barely visible artifacting also plagues the clear blue skies during the desert scenes and the white snow-fields of the forest. It does not prove to be a distraction unless one is clearly looking for them at closer than recommended viewing distances.

While tempting to give the disc a recommendation for tier 1.25, my more conservative instincts tell me tier 1.5 is appropriate. But wherever one may place Seraphim Falls, the picture quality is truly great on this BD and heightens enjoyment of the movie immensely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14315 of 21895 Old 11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Good review Phantom....but bad news that here is another excellent release that must be imported from the Motherland! As with Vertical Limit, you have whetted my appetite enough to consider making the purchase....British online stores, here I come!

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #14316 of 21895 Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Rolling Stones: Shine a Light

This is probably the best looking concert footage I've seen on BD, likely by virtue of being shot on film with the involvement of numerous acclaimed cinematographers. It's well lit, it's well shot, the detail is great, and the artifacts usually associated with low budget concert video are absent. Intercut with the main concert is footage of wildly varying quality, sourced from seemingly everything from high quality digital video to 16mm to camcorder to what might well be 8mm, this brings down the overall PQ somewhat. I won't spend much time on this review, it's a recent film that looks good, nothing surprising here.

Tier 1.75
(PS3/Pioneer 50" Kuro Elite/1 screen width distance)

edit: fixed for Rob
post #14317 of 21895 Old 11-22-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Shine a Light

This is probably the best looking concert footage I've seen on BD, likely by virtue of being shot on film with the involvement of numerous acclaimed cinematographers. It's well lit, it's well shot, the detail is great, and the artifacts usually associated with low budget concert video are absent. Intercut with the main concert is footage of wildly varying quality, sourced from seemingly everything from high quality digital video to 16mm to camcorder to what might well be 8mm, this brings down the overall PQ somewhat. I won't spend much time on this review, it's a recent film that looks good, nothing surprising here.

Tier 1.75
(PS3/Pioneer 50" Kuro Elite/1 screen width distance)

You say its a concert film but you don't mention who the artist is.

post #14318 of 21895 Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 AM

I think Shine a Light is more of a documentary, is it not? I kind of looked at it in the store one time, it's done my Martin Scorcese, and I would have picked it up to try it out but I'm just not a big Rolling Stones fan.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #14319 of 21895 Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterchad View Post

I think Shine a Light is more of a documentary, is it not? I kind of looked at it in the store one time, it's done my Martin Scorcese, and I would have picked it up to try it out but I'm just not a big Rolling Stones fan.

It is mostly a concert film.

My big complaint: they called it "Shine a Light" but used that track only very marginally.
post #14320 of 21895 Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr Brooks

Yes. Another title I'm late to the party on, but on the recommendation by several of my PQ Tier thread peers, I put this one in my queue when I first joined zip.ca in the summer, and finally I have had a chance to watch this movie in its entirety.

I have no problem whatsoever with believing that this title was once in our beloved Tier 0. The detail on this blu ray are unmatched by many; if only all blu rays could have the quality of detail that are present in this film, we would have to split Tier 0 into TEN pieces to fight it out for the best of the best.

Furthermore, I would have no issue if this movie was STILL in Tier 0. I did go back and read a lot of the discussion, so there is no need to reiterate to me as to the reasons for its downfall. I understand the contrast issue is one that bothered some. I did look at it as an artistic direction this movie took, and I am fully aware that the artistic intent is not what is in play in this thread.

I do believe this film could be in Tier 1.0, however, and I would not mind seeing it bumped back up to there, but as I do not own this movie and have had it for a week too long as it is, I've got to pop it in the mail ASAP, so I won't be able to go back and re-watch scenes should fellow reviewers request that I do so, so I'm not going to push the issue on such an old title. It's still residing in Tier 1, Tier 1.25 to be exact, and I believe it should firmly stay there and not drop any lower than that.

The effect of the contrast boost throughout this movie is exactly what I personally do not like in Blu; however it still looked really good on my Panasonic in THX mode, which does have a danger of looking overly-yellow and giving me a headache of phosphor trailing (like Rock n' Rolla did). The contrast boost was not so much that it was in danger of doing that for me, which is a good thing.

Personally I prefer movies that are more lush and have deeper colours, so the contrast served against me in this score. This movie felt to me like it was the same as Youth Without Youth, only YWY had an oversaturation, while Mr. Brooks does the opposite and boosts the contrast.

The black levels on this movie for me were SUPERB. I have seen so many movies where when you see someone dressed all in black, in a dark background, everything just blends together and looks blocky. In Mr. Brooks, I could identify the individual pieces of clothing, see the textures of them, see them move independently as characters adjusted themselves; it was beautiful. In the scene where Mr. Brooks finally meets up with Mr. Smith, and the camera keeps looking at Mr. Smith from faraway in the alley, the glossiness and richness of that scene, the inkiness of the blacks, just EVERYTHING about it stuck out in my mind as something I wanted to mention when I wrote here. It was gorgeous on my plasma, absolutely gorgeous.

Again, I don't want to start a debate about Mr. Brooks because I know the thread has been-there-done-that but I could not watch this movie that so many of you recommended to me to watch without doing it the justice of a review.

It was a weiiiiiird frakkin' movie, though. I think if I ever see it on sale I might pick it up and put it on my shelf with my copies of American Psycho. It reminds me that I need to watch and review the Aussie version of AP that my folks picked up for me in the summer!

I will spoiler this because someone else might not have seen this movie before and I don't want to wreck anything, but:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

I kind of wished that the movie ended with Mr. Brooks' daughter Jane killing him, and that it wasn't a dream. The credits rolling just after the lights go out on his eyes would have been satisfying to me, even if it is a really fricken morbid thought!!

Also... I'm not a fan of Dane Cook in any way, so I have to admit I did laugh when Costner offed him. My snarky self shouted at the screen, "And that's for GOOD LUCK CHUCK!!".

Recommendation for Mr. Brooks: Tier 1.0
Equipment: ps3 80gig to Panasonic TH-58PZ800u THX setting, approx 7.5'.

post #14321 of 21895 Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Mr Brooks

I have no problem whatsoever with believing that this title was once in our beloved Tier 0. The detail on this blu ray are unmatched by many; if only all blu rays could have the quality of detail that are present in this film, we would have to split Tier 0 into TEN pieces to fight it out for the best of the best.

Furthermore, I would have no issue if this movie was STILL in Tier 0. I did go back and read a lot of the discussion, so there is no need to reiterate to me as to the reasons for its downfall. I understand the contrast issue is one that bothered some. I did look at it as an artistic direction this movie took, and I am fully aware that the artistic intent is not what is in play in this thread.

I do believe this film could be in Tier 1.0, however, and I would not mind seeing it bumped back up to there, but as I do not own this movie and have had it for a week too long as it is, I've got to pop it in the mail ASAP, so I won't be able to go back and re-watch scenes should fellow reviewers request that I do so, so I'm not going to push the issue on such an old title. It's still residing in Tier 1, Tier 1.25 to be exact, and I believe it should firmly stay there and not drop any lower than that.

The effect of the contrast boost throughout this movie is exactly what I personally do not like in Blu; however it still looked really good on my Panasonic in THX mode, which does have a danger of looking overly-yellow and giving me a headache of phosphor trailing (like Rock n' Rolla did). The contrast boost was not so much that it was in danger of doing that for me, which is a good thing.

Glad you enjoyed! Believe it or not, Mr. Brooks has always been a "break the ice" movie on date nights. I'd actually call it a wild card in my collection!

It's been awhile since I've watched, but it's right on the cusp of Tiers 0 and 1. Lower Tier 0 at best, 1.0 at worst. The facial detail is some of the best in Blu!

Contrast wasn't the issue for me. IMO, the blue tint caused blacks to appear grey at times. I'll watch again soon. I guess I need to round up a new date as well!

Quote:

Spoiler  

I kind of wished that the movie ended with Mr. Brooks' daughter Jane killing him, and that it wasn't a dream. The credits rolling just after the lights go out on his eyes would have been satisfying to me, even if it is a really fricken morbid thought!!

Also... I'm not a fan of Dane Cook in any way, so I have to admit I did laugh when Costner offed him. My snarky self shouted at the screen, "And that's for GOOD LUCK CHUCK!!".

Spoiler  

Mr. Brooks was intended to be the first in a trilogy. Maybe it would have happened in the final movie!

I'm also not a DC fan. Although I did like his character in Mr. Brooks. Great death scene!

post #14322 of 21895 Old 11-23-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mr Brooks

Yes. Another title I'm late to the party on, but on the recommendation by several of my PQ Tier thread peers, I put this one in my queue when I first joined zip.ca in the summer, and finally I have had a chance to watch this movie in its entirety.

Personally I prefer movies that are more lush and have deeper colours, so the contrast served against me in this score. This movie felt to me like it was the same as Youth Without Youth, only YWY had an oversaturation, while Mr. Brooks does the opposite and boosts the contrast.

The black levels on this movie for me were SUPERB. I have seen so many movies where when you see someone dressed all in black, in a dark background, everything just blends together and looks blocky. In Mr. Brooks, I could identify the individual pieces of clothing, see the textures of them, see them move independently as characters adjusted themselves; it was beautiful. In the scene where Mr. Brooks finally meets up with Mr. Smith, and the camera keeps looking at Mr. Smith from faraway in the alley, the glossiness and richness of that scene, the inkiness of the blacks, just EVERYTHING about it stuck out in my mind as something I wanted to mention when I wrote here. It was gorgeous on my plasma, absolutely gorgeous.

Again, I don't want to start a debate about Mr. Brooks because I know the thread has been-there-done-that but I could not watch this movie that so many of you recommended to me to watch without doing it the justice of a review.

It was a weiiiiiird frakkin' movie, though. I think if I ever see it on sale I might pick it up and put it on my shelf with my copies of American Psycho. It reminds me that I need to watch and review the Aussie version of AP that my folks picked up for me in the summer!

I will spoiler this because someone else might not have seen this movie before and I don't want to wreck anything, but:

Spoiler  

Equipment: ps3 80gig to Panasonic TH-58PZ800u THX setting, approx 7.5'.

Excellent review. I was an original Tier 0 supporter for this title.

post #14323 of 21895 Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Two quick reaffirmations:

The Lives of Others

Agree with current placement. Very nice film-like appearance. The title contained a few Tier 0 facial details, e.g., the cafeteria scenes. Blacks were stable; contrast was decent for the most part. I didn't care for the sepia tone that much.

Tier Recommendation: 1.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Near Dark

Agree with Phantom on this one. Severe banding in a few scenes, along with other compression issues. Film appears very soft and hints of DNR plague the title. Blacks and contrast are very weak - bad for a vampire flick. Really looks more like an upconverted DVD for the most part.

Tier Recommendation: 4.50

ln46a650 - 1080p/24 - 6'

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #14324 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Excellent review. I was an original Tier 0 supporter for this title.

Same here on both counts.
post #14325 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Liked: 22
Funny People:

I'm only a half hour into this one, but this may be the worst major studio release of the year. Grain structure is incredibly noisy, edge enhancement is an issue that doesn't go away, and mosquito noise can be severe. Got a ways to go, but this is not looking good.

Edit: Okay, 90 minutes in and yes, this is an awful, processed mess. Definitely a slight bit of DNR as smearing is evident, some static grain, and the EE is thick. Early verdict is a complete avoid and a low tier 3 or high 4, which is a shame because the amount of extras here is staggering and probably worth it.
post #14326 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Funny People:

I'm only a half hour into this one, but this may be the worst major studio release of the year. Grain structure is incredibly noisy, edge enhancement is an issue that doesn't go away, and mosquito noise can be severe. Got a ways to go, but this is not looking good.

Edit: Okay, 90 minutes in and yes, this is an awful, processed mess. Definitely a slight bit of DNR as smearing is evident, some static grain, and the EE is thick. Early verdict is a complete avoid and a low tier 3 or high 4, which is a shame because the amount of extras here is staggering and probably worth it.

You may want to double check to make sure that nothing is wrong. I have viewed the disc and it is far from being that bad. None of the reviews fall in line with yours either.
post #14327 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowucmenowudont View Post

You may want to double check to make sure that nothing is wrong. I have viewed the disc and it is far from being that bad. None of the reviews fall in line with yours either.

Nothing is wrong. Believe me. I even double checked to make sure this was a Blu-ray. This review caught it, as will mine later today:

"It definitely exhibits a DNR and edge enhanced look,"

http://blu-news.com/index.php/2009/1...lu-ray-review/

All long shots are a muddy, processed mess. There are some shots that look okay, certainly not nice or top tier, just okay. The very first shot of the actual film with Sandler waking up is littered with noise, and it only goes downhill from there.

Look at the grain when Sandler is joking with Ira to kill him. There is a distinct static grain structure, especially notable against the cupboards in the background.

Edge enhancement is everywhere and certainly doesn't need to be pointed out, but watch when Rogen/Hill/Schwartzann are in the park, and Schwartzmann is telling the story about his grandfather. Their legs, their shorts, their shirts, all exhibit enhancement of some kind.
post #14328 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Nothing is wrong. Believe me. I even double checked to make sure this was a Blu-ray. This review caught it, as will mine later today:

"It definitely exhibits a DNR and edge enhanced look,"

All long shots are a muddy, processed mess. There are some shots that look okay, certainly not nice or top tier, just okay. The very first shot of the actual film with Sandler waking up is littered with noise, and it only goes downhill from there.

Look at the grain when Sandler is joking with Ira to kill him. There is a distinct static grain structure, especially notable against the cupboards in the background.

Edge enhancement is everywhere and certainly doesn't need to be pointed out, but watch when Rogen/Hill/Schwartzann are in the park, and Schwartzmann is telling the story about his grandfather. Their legs, their shorts, their shirts, all exhibit enhancement of some kind.

Yes, there are issues. I've seen them as well. Worst studio release of the year? I don't know about that...
post #14329 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowucmenowudont View Post

Yes, there are issues. I've seen them as well. Worst studio release of the year? I don't know about that...

Should be worst studio new release of the year. Compared to some of the catalog titles, no, but as far as new releases, I haven't come across anything this bad, unless something is slipping my mind. There really is no excuse for a modern film to suffer from this many issues.
post #14330 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up Angels and Demons at one of our local video stores so I hope to watch it later tonight. I'll write a review immediately afterwards.

We're leaving early tomorrow for a 4-day stay in Minneapolis, but I wanted to wish all my fellow AVS members a HAPPY THANKSGIVING. For those traveling may you be kept safe, and may we all have the will power to pull away from the Thanksgiving table before we can't pull away!

post #14331 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

We're leaving early tomorrow for a 4-day stay in Minneapolis, but I wanted to wish all my fellow AVS members a HAPPY THANKSGIVING. For those traveling may you be kept safe, and may we all have the will power to pull away from the Thanksgiving table before we can't pull away!

Stay safe yourself, Denny. Always save room for the pumpkin pie...

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #14332 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

I just picked up Angels and Demons at one of our local video stores so I hope to watch it later tonight. I'll write a review immediately afterwards.

Haha!! Thanks for the laugh.
I picked up Angels and Demons as well and will watch a bit later.

Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
post #14333 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Angels and Demons

Sony has gone and done it again!! This is one nice, clean transfer that opens with an absolutely gorgeous scene (the funeral of the Pope) with ultra-fine detail and amazing color that convinces you that you are in for a visual treat! Detail is one of the prominent virtues throughout this title, whether it be the cobbled streets and brick buildings of Rome, the clothing of the Vatican hierarchy, or the many facial close-ups of Tom Hanks and the rest of the leading actors.

Besides exquisite detail, this transfer boasts some of the best blacks levels that I've seen in awhile. I'm happy to say that the majority of scenes are either at night or in dark interiors, so if your set is good at displaying them you'll be in "black level Nirvana." The shadow details in dark scenes are also remarkable, though there were a few isolated interior shots where it became soft and lacked detail.

Colors are "few and far between," with the director choosing either to tone them down and to give them a golden hue. But when there are bright colors, such as scenes with the Roman Catholic priests wearing their red robes coupled with white, they are simply beautiful (natural and vibrant).

Flesh tones are natural-looking, even in the scenes with the golden hue, and as mentioned above the facial close-ups are excellent, ranging from low Tier 0 to low Tier 1 (with some exceptional shots of some of the priests that rank right up there with the best in high Tier 0).

This isn't the sharpest film I've seen, but there is good depth and clarity. And I was pleased to see a fine layer of grain that served to enhance detail and give it the look of film. I never saw this in the theater but I did read at least one or two reviews where they commented on how true this transfer was to the theatrical version.

I was going over various titles in Tier 1 for comparison and I truly feel it looks as good as The Orphanage, Vantage Point and Underworld, so my vote goes for...

Tier Recommendation: 1.25

Pioneer 60" Elite KURO (1080p/24)....Panasonic BD30....Viewed from 8'

post #14334 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
^^ This is good news! I have company over for Thanksgiving who has never seen a movie on blu-ray. Aside from some obvious scene-to-scene demos from my collection, I took a chance and rented Angels and Demons to watch. I was hoping for a good sample, and it appears I got lucky based on your 1.25 vote.

If I don't check in before Thanksgiving, I wish everyone a good one as well! Have a good trip, Denny!

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #14335 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

^^ This is good news! I have company over for Thanksgiving who has never seen a movie on blu-ray. Aside from some obvious scene-to-scene demos from my collection, I took a chance and rented Angels and Demons to watch. I was hoping for a good sample, and it appears I got lucky based on your 1.25 vote.

If I don't check in before Thanksgiving, I wish everyone a good one as well! Have a good trip, Denny!

Agree. We need and want more of these "better" PQ quality BD's especially on big name titles. I will be watching ina few.
post #14336 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
The Graduate

Currently unranked, this excellent 1967 film finds itself on a merely decent looking blu-ray. The best that can be said of the disc is that there is no distracting extraneous manipulation to the image, it does look quite a bit like what I imagine the film looked like in theaters. But it also seems like they went to pretty much no efforts to make it better. There's either a lot of noise or a lot of grain in many scenes. The distinction is mostly lost in a mushy low-bitrate MPEG2 encode (which, shockingly, is quite equal to Warner's shoddy VC1 encode of North By Northwest that has about 10mbps and 10 years of video compression technology over it ), but some of the darker scenes reveal odd noise patterns that are definitely not the mark of film grain resolved by a state-of-the-art film scanner. The real PQ-tier killer here is that the detail is just all over the place, probably due to the original photography. You can tell it's HD... most of the time. While modern anamorphic movies only have that lens blurring at the very edges of the frame, here many scenes have more blurry areas than crisp detail. Blacks are underextended and typically noisy. Still, this isn't really a "bad" blu-ray, it conveys the film quite capably, I just wish it was better.

Tier 3.25
(PS3/Pioneer 50" Kuro Elite/1 screen width)
post #14337 of 21895 Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Happy thanksgiving and have a safe week to my American friends! This is just a normal week here up in Canada! Hopefully I'll get a couple more reviews done for you all to enjoy when you get back.

post #14338 of 21895 Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Stay safe yourself, Denny. Always save room for the pumpkin pie...

Thanks Phantom! Regarding pumpkin pie, it's my favorite at Thanksgiving, even after finding out how it's really made. See the following:

http://commonsenselogic.blogspot.com...e-is-made.html

See you on the Forum in about 4 days!

post #14339 of 21895 Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I picked up Angels and Demons as well and will watch a bit later.

I trust you will be very pleased with the PQ Hugh. It does have a few *soft* shots (during "interior" scenes) and it does lack sharpness and depth at times, but the detail and black levels (and the bright red cloaks on the priests!) more than make up for this. I forgot to mention there are a few aerial shots of Rome that are breathtaking.

I thought the movie was a good rental too. It's fast-paced and I found it hard to keep up with their "detective work," but overall it was an enjoyable 2+ hours.

Well, the Mrs. is telling me we need to hit the road. Again, may all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving. (G3, you could still join us in spirit even though you don't celebrate this holiday in Canada....maybe you could even cook a turkey.)

post #14340 of 21895 Old 11-25-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I trust you will be very pleased with the PQ Hugh. It does have a few *soft* shots (during "interior" scenes) and it does lack sharpness and depth at times, but the detail and black levels (and the bright red cloaks on the priests!) more than make up for this. I forgot to mention there are a few aerial shots of Rome that are breathtaking.

I thought the movie was a good rental too. It's fast-paced and I found it hard to keep up with their "detective work," but overall it was an enjoyable 2+ hours.

Interesting. I disliked the first one so much that I really have no intention of watching this one. Is it very different than the first?

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page