post #19231 of 21895 Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I assume you are referring to the iPhone app for the forum? The Tiers page is huge and I've seen older desktop computers with limited RAM choke on loading it. That could be one possibility. Thinking about the situation for those who want to access the PQ Tiers on a phone or tablet, I could post the entire Tiers in plain text on Google docs. That would make it readable for those who need a quick check of it away from home on a smartphone. I could see it being a handy guide when browsing at a store before purchase.

Im using the android app... just hangs on loading notification.

Google doc link would be awesome since it would open native on my phone and tablet :-)

I rarely come to the forum from my desktop since the app is so handy.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19232 of 21895 Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Immortals

Some great stuff here, especially facial detail and black levels, but we've been there already in this thread. Complaints include the annoying fake visuals effects, likely so to give them added pop in 3D. In 2D, it looks like an early 3D video game. On top of that, the whole thing is golden orange. No other primaries really exist, so it's flattened quite a bit.

Tier 1.25*
post #19233 of 21895 Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 AM

Three Musketeers (2011)

WOW. Stunning, vivid, vibrant, sharp, and clear. In other words, top tier material. Facial detail is lacking, but it retains a natural look. The winner here are the costumes, stunningly complex yet never succumbing to flicker. Castle interiors feel immense and staggering in complexity. Colors are bright and saturated, while contrast and black levels deepen the image. Almost totally flawless.

Tier 0.75*
post #19234 of 21895 Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Three Musketeers (2011)

WOW. Stunning, vivid, vibrant, sharp, and clear. In other words, top tier material. Facial detail is lacking, but it retains a natural look. The winner here are the costumes, stunningly complex yet never succumbing to flicker. Castle interiors feel immense and staggering in complexity. Colors are bright and saturated, while contrast and black levels deepen the image. Almost totally flawless.

Tier 0.75*

That's good to hear GRG! I also read that the AQ is reference too...and that the movie itself is *fun* (and not to be taken seriously). Would you agree with these assessments?

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #19235 of 21895 Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

That's good to hear GRG! I also read that the AQ is reference too...and that the movie itself is *fun* (and not to be taken seriously). Would you agree with these assessments?

Yeah. Very boomy, low-end heavy mix. Movie is fun with a few lulls. Clearly a lot of money was put into this one, making the costumes and sets shine. Action scenes are hilariously cheesy.
post #19236 of 21895 Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 AM

The Descendants

Pleasing, warm color palette accentuates flesh tones and gives plenty of oomph. Light grain is mild and never intrusive to the encode. Beautiful exteriors give the location life and close-ups are generally appealing. Medium shots flatten just a bit detail wise.

Tier 1.75*
post #19237 of 21895 Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Debt

DJO's review is accurate. The color palette is drab, and the black levels are slightly inconsistent over the course of the movie. While this is appropriate to the setting in East Germany, it does not exactly lend itself to eye candy. However, there is average-for-the-format-detail at all times, and above average detail on faces. There is commendable absence of EE, DNR, Moire and Banding. So I can only conclude that this is a decent transfer of a rather average looking movie. As such, it rates as perfectly average given the tiers.

Tier Recommendation: 3.0

Sony KDL52EX700, 8 foot viewing distance

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #19238 of 21895 Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 AM

Jack and Jill

Blah. Superb color and awesome black levels. That's all well and good. Everything else? Flat. Medium shots are murky, facial definition is only passable in a handful of scenes, and some stock shots are sharpened. Katie Holmes clearly has some smoothing applied.

Tier 2.75*
post #19239 of 21895 Old 03-16-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I just purchased a copy of The Adventures of Tintin and I hope to view it this weekend with a few of my young grandchildren. Needless to say, I'm excited to see the PQ after reading GRG's glowing review!

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #19240 of 21895 Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Casablanca - 70th Anniversary Edition

Remastered at 4K, the differences between the prior release is... negligible. The way this was captured, with smoky interiors and a romantic haze, doesn't let much in the way of fine detail through. I doubt even an 8K scan will help make this compete against the best B&W material. Differences though include a better resolved grain structure and far better gray scale.

Tier 3.75*
post #19241 of 21895 Old 03-17-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

American Graffiti

Would have been a lot better had Universal left well enough alone. Edge enhancement is rampant, elevating grain and creating halos. A little color bleed isn't the end of the world. Grain spikes are resolved well. The source print is superb, making it a further disgrace that the studio tampered with it.

Tier 3.75*

American Graffiti

Although I agree that this was on the edgy side of good, and that this led to some odd grain behavior, overall this was pretty decent. Only dark scenes without a lot of contrast really suffered from mosquito noise. When there was something bright on the screen (colorful cars, neon lights, etc.) this really popped in a pleasing "eye candy" sort of way. Detail is pleasing but not overwhelming.

Tier Recommendation: 3.0

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #19242 of 21895 Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The Adventures of Tintin

Quote:

The Adventures of Tintin

An absolute marvel that should dominate this thread. Fantastic, rich texture. Brilliant, popping colors. Flawless, rich black levels. Outstanding bright, vivid contrast. Immense, perfect dimensionality. Short of some limited aliasing, this is perfect.

Tier 0* (above Avatar)

First of all, I reserve the right to change my mind after a second viewing (which may not happen for a good while). I say this because I had 5 grandchildren and my son-in-law viewing this with me and I decided to play the "gracious host" and give them the best viewing positions. I was at considerable distance from my "sweet spot" (off-axis) and I'm not sure I had my normal "discerning eyes."

Having said that, what I did experience pretty much coincided with GRG's except I also noticed some fleeting *softness* on a couple of occasions (though this appeared to be the director's intent due to the lighting employed).

I was REALLY impressed with the PHOTOREALISM! If they had not chosen to give many of the characters a "caricature-look," it would have been SO REAL it could have passed for a non-animated film in some scenes.

Details abounded...colors jumped off the screen...and contrast exploded with a dazzling display. I simply LOVED the black levels, with nighttime scenes that rendered shadow details flawlessly.

I'm NOT completely sure this deserves SECOND PLACE (above Avatar), but it's mighty close. So, until I do give this a second viewing, I'll echo GRG's recommendation and place it here...

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (below Toy Story 3)*

Pioneer 60" KURO Elite (1080p/24)....Pioneer Elite 05....Viewed from 6.5'

post #19243 of 21895 Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
In Time

Detailed but not a fan of the aesthetics. Great concept but very average execution.

Recommendation: Tier 1.75

Real Steel

Crisp and detailed. Very impressive. No major complaints here. A different movie but a bit of a letdown as the story felt too light.

Recommendation: Tier 1 or 0.75

Blu-ray : 340
post #19244 of 21895 Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

The Adventures of Tintin

First of all, I reserve the right to change my mind after a second viewing (which may not happen for a good while). I say this because I had 5 grandchildren and my son-in-law viewing this with me and I decided to play the "gracious host" and give them the best viewing positions. I was at considerable distance from my "sweet spot" (off-axis) and I'm not sure I had my normal "discerning eyes."

Having said that, what I did experience pretty much coincided with GRG's except I also noticed some fleeting *softness* on a couple of occasions (though this appeared to be the director's intent due to the lighting employed).

I was REALLY impressed with the PHOTOREALISM! If they had not chosen to give many of the characters a "caricature-look," it would have been SO REAL it could have passed for a non-animated film in some scenes.

Details abounded...colors jumped off the screen...and contrast exploded with a dazzling display. I simply LOVED the black levels, with nighttime scenes that rendered shadow details flawlessly.

I'm NOT completely sure this deserves SECOND PLACE (above Avatar), but it's mighty close. So, until I do give this a second viewing, I'll echo GRG's recommendation and place it here...

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (below Toy Story 3)*

Pioneer 60" KURO Elite (1080p/24)....Pioneer Elite 05....Viewed from 6.5'

This is one of those cases where you and I disagree, Denny.

Looks very nice, certainly but to my eyes it looks about Tier 1.0*
post #19245 of 21895 Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

This is one of those cases where you and I disagree, Denny.

Looks very nice, certainly but to my eyes it looks about Tier 1.0*

What were the *negatives* that you observed patrick?

Again, I will have to view this again in my "sweet spot," for with me being so far "off axis," and with grand kids screaming during all of the action shots, I wasn't in the best position or frame of mind for critical viewing. You may very well be right in your assessment patrick....I won't say anymore until I give it a second viewing.

post #19246 of 21895 Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Again, I will have to view this again in my "sweet spot," for with me being so far "off axis," and with grand kids screaming during all of the action shots, I wasn't in the best position or frame of mind for critical viewing. You may very well be right in your assessment patrick....I won't say anymore until I give it a second viewing.

I'll definitely admit for myself it becomes much tougher to make a critical evaluation when not watching from my preferred seating location, straight-on from the middle of the display. I would even add a preferred viewing height in relation to where I'm sitting. The change in perspective sometimes needs to be taken into account.

On the highest placements in Tier Zero, I tend to go back after the first viewing and spot-check scenes from a much closer distance of 3' to the screen, to closely examine how much detail is actually present. The differences are so minute at the top of the Tiers that it sometimes takes that effort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19247 of 21895 Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll definitely admit for myself it becomes much tougher to make a critical evaluation when not watching from my preferred seating location, straight-on from the middle of the display. I would even add a preferred viewing height in relation to where I'm sitting. The change in perspective sometimes needs to be taken into account.

On the highest placements in Tier Zero, I tend to go back after the first viewing and spot-check scenes from a much closer distance of 3' to the screen, to closely examine how much detail is actually present. The differences are so minute at the top of the Tiers that it sometimes takes that effort.

I agree wholeheartedly Phantom. It is so RARE that I have to sit where I did for the viewing of The Adventures of Tintin, that I must confess I really felt like a "fish out of water." And like I said, I had some loud, animated grandchildren that were distracting me as well, so my review was, undoubtedly, premature. I will try to watch this again in the near future and give another quick review.

post #19248 of 21895 Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

What were the *negatives* that you observed patrick?

Surely you can guess what are likely to be negatives for me, Denny. The detail and clarity were not as consistent as I would expect to see in a Tier 0 placement. Some shots were unquestionably outstanding, like, for example, closeups of the unicorn at the front of the model ships. If there had been more shots like that, I could understand and endorse a higher placement.
post #19249 of 21895 Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM

Happy Feet Two

Pretty, gorgeous except for a smeary texture or two. Krill are stunning with their oranges and transparencies. Background colors are striking, and depth is superb. Amazing compression job too.

Tier 0.75*
post #19250 of 21895 Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister1 View Post

I must strongly disagree. A solid tier 1, yes. But absolutely not a zero. It doesn't look like film at all; more like a film/video hybrid. There is obvious smearing of details in the night time panorama shots. The complete absence of film grain is glorious, however.

There is a seemingly endless series of facial closeups which might bias results a bit as well.

You disagree away, this thread encourages the individual's opinion

My placement, however, remains
post #19251 of 21895 Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM

The Muppets

While black levels lose their full impact at times and there's some smoothing on Amy Adams that sticks out, this is a superb presentation. Colors are immense and the texture on the puppets is absolutely perfect. Medium shots capture the same definition as the close-ups. Noise doesn't clog up the image, and clarity is consistent.

Tier 1.5*

Oh, and best movie ever.
post #19252 of 21895 Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM

The Sitter

Typical of modern comedies. Saturated heavily with a slight orange tint to the flesh tones. Detail is passable if inconsistent. Black levels are the problem area, washing out into a definite blue. The grain structure is fine and resolved cleanly.

Tier 2.5*
post #19253 of 21895 Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The Three Musketeers (2011)

Quote:

Three Musketeers (2011)

Tier 0.75*

What he said...and THEN SOME!!!! How can one add to the superlatives used by GRG? CLARITY and DEPTH!! Those two words come to mind, along with EXHILARATING CINEMATOGRAPHY (especially the many aerial views). The contrast was as strong as I've ever seen, with phenomenal whites and staggering blacks/shadow details. I was mesmerized from beginning to end, with the rare exception of one or two fleeting shots of softness that took place in the dwelling place of the three musketeers.

Let me say boldly that if not for the lack of facial details (alluded to by GRG) I would nominate this for the best action movie ever...above Avatar. This one easily equals and in some instances surpasses Prince Caspian (which it reminded me of in many respects) and I sincerely believe it is worthy of being placed significantly higher, let's say right here....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (above I, Robot)*

Pioneer 60" KURO Elite (1080p/24)....Pioneer Elite 05....Viewed from 7.5'

PS The audio was also reference quality with very precise sound in both the high and low ends. You'll be thankful for having good surrounds and a decent sub with this title!

post #19254 of 21895 Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Inspired by that glowing review of TTM 2011....I'll be posting a full review later.....first impressions though, are indeed WOW...with a capital W
post #19255 of 21895 Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post

Inspired by that glowing review of TTM 2011....I'll be posting a full review later.....first impressions though, are indeed WOW...with a capital W

I'll look forward to your review. The movie SUCKED (though it was FUN at times), but the PQ (and AQ) ROCKED! I may skim thru it today before returning it to the video store to see if my opinion holds up with a second viewing, but I highly doubt it will change.

post #19256 of 21895 Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RE: The photorealism of Tin Tin. I have a Pomeranian who loves to watch TV, but goes nuts when anything animated comes on. Tin Tin fooled him. It is a pretty amazing looking movie. I'd have to put it towards the top of Tier 0, but below The Thin Red Line and the owl movie.

Tier 0
post #19257 of 21895 Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, that is interesting. A post of mine I made after djoberg made his post last night has disappeared from the thread.

post #19258 of 21895 Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Hmmm, that is interesting. A post of mine I made after djoberg made his post last night has disappeared from the thread.

I saw your post last night. It Looks like somebody reported him as his post is deleted but they took yours with it too. Your was as an excellent post with a good explanation and not at all confrontational or antagonistic. it was very respectful.
post #19259 of 21895 Old 03-24-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've aroused my curiosity Phantom, so I'd encourage you to post it again.

post #19260 of 21895 Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've aroused my curiosity Phantom, so I'd encourage you to post it again.

It was nothing too important, just my explanation for why users are recommended to bold their placements and enlarge the font size. It was a response to an earlier sarcastic post by someone new to the thread.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page