The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 648 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #19411 of 21865 Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Lethal Weapon (Lethal Weapon Collection)

A (much) newer encode than the one from 2006 brings the film to life with great color and vivid sharpness. Fine detail is consistent, and the grain is resolved beautifully. Black levels could use at least a little kick, but they still work. Huge improvement.

Tier 2.0*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19412 of 21865 Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

The oldest animated film in Tier 0 is Disney's Sleeping Beauty, from 1959. The highest ranked live-action film of that vintage is How The West Was Won in Tier 1.0, released in 1962. For those wondering, the oldest live-action film in Tier 0 is Baraka. It was released in 1992. There are a few older films scattered throughout Tier One. The Professionals is in Tier 1.25.

Outstanding, thank you!
post #19413 of 21865 Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Whip It
Pretty nice. Good solid black levels, realistic and vibrant color. Facial detail on close-ups is quite good. Background details in wide angle shots are just average. This is obviously HD, but it's pretty a average "new movie" transfer overall.

Tier Recommendation: 2.25

SOny 52EX700, 8 foot viewing distance

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #19414 of 21865 Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Lethal Weapon 2 (Lethal Weapon Collection)

More of the same with marginally improved black levels. Not enough to move it up from the first film.

Tier 2.0*
post #19415 of 21865 Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The Iron Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

The Iron Lady

With some taped stock footage to add authenticity (plus it's stretched to fill the frame), flattened color palette, and dulled blacks, this one won't win awards for eye candy. Excellent detail, especially on the make-ups, does help this disc's cause. Close-ups are typically clean, and grain is resolved well.

Tier 2.75*

This is absolutely uncanny, but for the second time in a row I find myself agreeing 100% with GRG and thus I feel compelled to post his review and placement and add my hearty Amen!

I really don't have anything to add (or subtract) so I'll sign off now with the same placement recommendation....

Tier Recommendation: 2.75*

Pioneer 60" KURO Elilte (1080p/24)....Pioneer Elite 05....Viewed from 7.5'

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #19416 of 21865 Old 06-02-2012, 06:16 AM

Lethal Weapon 3 (LW Collection)

Weakest transfer of the four. Some super slight edge enhancement reveals itself on occasion, enough to ding the transfer. Medium shots have a lightly filtered appearance, while close-ups still hold. What goes super awry are the black levels. They never find a groove they can stick with and flatten the entire film.

Tier 2.75*
post #19417 of 21865 Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Angel Beats!

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

A 2010 production, the animation sparkles in 1080p. Released by Sentai Filmworks, this is an exemplary BD set that has no problems with the transfer. More importantly the original production quality looks quite high with detailed background scenery and fluid motion. Contrast is perfect and the colors are vivid. The picture quality is just a step behind theatrical animation in terms of effects and depth.
post #19418 of 21865 Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Looks nice and better than it's prequel. Ultra thin layer of grain visible but some shots looks a bit filtered. Contrast is strong. Well defined close up shots. Colors are a bit saturated than its prequel but confines to the period look. Black levels are a bit weak on some scenes. Very good PQ overall.

Recommendation: Tier 2.0

Blu-ray : 340
post #19419 of 21865 Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Sucker Punch

recommendation: Tier 4.0

I guess it's called Sucker Punch because that is what I felt like happened to me, after watching this ugly presentation. Currently in the middle of tier one, something went horribly wrong between the raw filming and post for Sucker Punch. Digitally graded beyond recognition to meld the videogame-like mix of CGI and green-screen environments, the BD possesses a harsh digital appearance. The amount of noise at times proves distracting except in the more conservative “reality” scenes. Imagine the look of "300" on steroids to the nth degree.

There are so many problems to mention it's hard to come up with a list of positives, except for the superior resolution in a few select scenes. It looks to be a conscious effort by Zack Snyder, the director, to make the aesthetic in the film as gritty as possible. A shame since Watchmen looked so effortlessly great on BD. It doesn't help any that the script is an incoherent mess that would have been more suitable for a 90s music video.

BDInfo scan (courtesy of Jojos):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20789837
post #19420 of 21865 Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Coriolanus

I was drawn to this movie based on the amazing cast (Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler, Vanessa Redgrave, Jessica Chastain, and Brian Cox) and I was also curious to see how Ralph Fiennes fared in his directorial debut. The acting was superb, but the pacing, alone with the story-line, left something to be desired.

The PQ was sub-par, with poor black levels, gobs of noise, weak contrast, sporadic soft shots, a drab color palette, and less-than-stellar detail. To be fair, I will point out that there were facial close-ups that rivaled titles in the top two tiers. This, along with some appreciable depth at times, were the only two redeeming qualities of note.

This was most definitely below average and I'm inclined to nominate it for....

Tier Recommendation: 3.5*

Pioneer 60" KURO Elilte (1080p/24)....Pioneer Elite 05....Viewed from 7.5'

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #19421 of 21865 Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Denny, that was exactly where I would have placed Coriolanus had I considered it for the PQ Tiers. For the most part I don't plan on posting my reviews from DoBlu.com here in the thread. Hopefully some of you will be motivated to check them out over there.
post #19422 of 21865 Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Denny, that was exactly where I would have placed Coriolanus had I considered it for the PQ Tiers. For the most part I don't plan on posting my reviews from DoBlu.com here in the thread. Hopefully some of you will be motivated to check them out over there.

I had read your review of Coriolanus last week and I agree with each point made. I plan to read your reviews and would encourage others to do so. You most definitely have the gift of a writer, as does GRG.

post #19423 of 21865 Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM

Lethal Weapon 4 (LW Collection)

A step up from the third film and the best of the bunch. Being so young has its advantages. Grain is super fine, detail soars, and color is warmer. Black levels are precise too. Solid material.

Tier 1.75*
post #19424 of 21865 Old 06-03-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Underworld: Awakening

As with each outing in this series, this is DARK throughout. This being the case one longs for good black levels and shadow details....I'm happy to say that they don't, for the most part, disappoint. There were a few instances of black crush, but overall we are treated to excellent clarity and sharpness in black levels with exceptional shadow detail (brick buildings, streets, rain drops, etc. were gleaming with fine detail).

Facial details were also exemplary in the majority of close-ups, with the exception of Kate Beckinsale (I fear the aging actress demanded enough make-up to cover her wrinkles and other *natural* flaws that come with years).

Colors were lacking due to the prominent dark scenes, but when primaries were manifested they popped. Flesh tones were a bit on the pale side, but hey, we're dealing with vampires so what can we expect.

I mentioned "excellent clarity and sharpness" above (regarding the many dark scenes) and this was true in daytime/outdoor scenes as well, though at times they faltered and I suspect the CGI is the main culprit here.

I did a search and found that I gave the third installment a 2.0 rating. I believe Awakening was a tad better (besides, I'm feeling generous tonight) so I'm opting for....

Tier Recommendation: 1.75*

Pioneer 60" KURO Elite (1080p/24)....Pioneer Elite 05....Viewed from 7.5'

PS If this were an audio thread I *might* be tempted to nominate this for the "King of the Hill." They spared no expense in this department with thunderous bass in multiple explosions and plenty of action in the surrounds. The movie itself sucked but it was worth the rental for the PQ and especially for the AQ.

post #19425 of 21865 Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The Woman In Black

I didn't actually plan it this way, but my last two viewings have both been dark transfers throughout their running time of approximately 90 minutes. I can easily say this one did NOT fare as well as Underground: Awakening, for it lacked the sharpness and clarity that ruled the day in U:A. The first two-thirds were inconsistent with many soft shots coupled with several scenes with either smoke or fog. Black levels were mostly murky with shadow details suffering as a consequence.

The last one third was much better with more detail, depth, and clarity. There are two scenes with Daniel Radcliffe and Ciaran Hinds driving in the countryside with incredible depth and dimensionality and the director chose to zoom in on Hinds revealing amazing facial texture. But those shots were few and far between and simply left you drooling for more. The standout scene was a nighttime scene with Hinds pulling Radcliffe out of the mud (via a rope)...the blacks were incredible as were the shadow details.

Colors were muted from beginning to end. Flesh tones were spot on. Contrast was average.

I read some of the "experts" and I was taken aback at the chorus of praise this received in the PQ department. That was NOT my experience; in fact, I'm convinced this is only worthy of the average bin, though the latter third of the title serves to put it at the top of the tier....

Tier Recommendation: 3.0*

post #19426 of 21865 Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Gone

I knew, from the opening scene in Forest Park (outside of Portland, OR), that I had some EYE CANDY to look forward to. This was one crisp and detailed transfer from beginning to end. Blacks levels were to-die-for (again, in the opening scene the black bars blended in perfectly with my Pioneer's bezel and they never let up). Shadow details were off the charts, with many nighttime scenes highlighting this virtue. Facial details were also good (high Tier 1, IMO); even close-ups of Jill and Molly revealed texture rarely seen in female leads. Colors were vibrant, especially the lush forest and hills outside of Portland (I was there several years ago and it brought back memories of just how beautiful the country is around Portland). Add to these praises some solid depth in numerable scenes.

I believe GRG gave this a 2.25, so we will have to part company on this one. This is DEFINITELY "demo material" and easily deserves a place in Tier Gold. My vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: 1.5*

PS I would even be willing to bump it up a notch (1.25) if others are so inclined.

post #19427 of 21865 Old 06-06-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Contraband

NOT Pretty!! The first half of this title was very disappointing with terrible blacks levels coupled with intrusive grain. Gritty is the word that came to mind after the first scene or two. The black crush was deplorable in many scenes with fine detail being almost nil. The PQ did get significantly better as the movie progressed but I never found myself saying "WOW!" or hitting the pause button to revel in the detail or definition. This one will more than likely find its way into the average bin, though perhaps it *may* reach the top....

post #19428 of 21865 Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My Week With Marilyn

This was one INCONSISTENT MESS!!! Sharp one moment; soft the next. When it was sharp it was quite pleasing to the eye, with warm and vibrant colors, good blacks levels, excellent contrast, spot-on flesh tones, and satisfying details (including facial details). But when it was soft (and I'm here to say this was all too often) I felt like I was watching a cheap cable broadcast with little or no depth and less-than-stellar details. The lighting in those instances may have been a factor, but it changed so quickly that there must have been other variables involved. If I were to rate this based on the soft scenes I'd have to assign it to low Tier 3 or even high Tier 4, but thankfully the sharp scenes reached Tier 1 status at times bringing me to the following conclusion....

Tier Recommendation: 2.5*

post #19429 of 21865 Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Man on a Ledge

A bland sense of black levels and muted (but dense) color palette knock it out of contention here. Sharpness is wonderful though and the detail is just oozing from the frame. Definition is stern even if the camera pulls back.

Tier 1.75*
post #19430 of 21865 Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Everyone should be aware the main PQ Tier list has temporarily disappeared for the moment with the changeover in the forum's software. No data has been lost (it's all kept on a private server off of AVS) but I am trying to address the issues. I was afraid this was going to happen and it could take a little time. The complex coding needed for the other software forum might have to be changed for this new software.
post #19431 of 21865 Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

My Week With Marilyn
This was one INCONSISTENT MESS!!! Sharp one moment; soft the next.

I agree--the color balance and sharpness changed from scene to scene for no reason that I could relate to the content of the movie. The best single shot was the opening shot of Marilyn appearing in a spotlight wearing a white dress, from a completely black screen. After that, it was downhill, then uphill, then downhill, etc.... Entertaining movie, though.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #19432 of 21865 Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The new forum design has gimped this thread since you can't see activity in sticky threads and can't go to the last page. I'm sure it's possible to follow it easier if you subscribe to it, but that shouldn't be necessary. If I'm missing something, let me know. Haven't posted in this thread in a while, but still like to keep track.
post #19433 of 21865 Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hallelujah, the main list for the PQ Tiers is back up and working again!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1168342/the-new-pq-tier-thread-for-blu-ray-rankings

We'll see how the change to the forum affects the thread in the long run. It does appear now that subscribing to the thread might be a good idea for regular readers. It's business as usual from my perspective, though it will take some time to adjust to the new look and how the Blu-ray software forum is laid out.
post #19434 of 21865 Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 AM

Gone Fishin'

A slight edge enhancement doesn't dampen the tightness of the fine detail, this despite maybe a smidgen of DNR. Black levels are passable, while compression hangs over the image. What do you expect for $6?

Tier 2.75*
post #19435 of 21865 Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Meatballs

Burdened with thick grain and an encode that can't resolve it, Meatballs takes a beating on this disc. It doesn't help that the master takes a liking to the color and saturates it outside of usual boundaries either. The print is clean for the most part, and black levels play nice with the contrast. Passable.

Tier 3.25*
post #19436 of 21865 Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Chronicle

As noted in a previous review, the first 14 minutes of this title is sub par, with plenty of noise, little detail, and lacking depth. After that point it definitely improves in clarity, detail, and color. Black levels could be good but there were still instances where they faltered. Facial details up close were superb, as were details in general shot up close. The "battle scene" at the end was a mixed bag, with some of the CGI creating a blur and some soft shots.

I realize GRG was so impressed with the footage after the 14 minute mark that he gave it a 2.25 and Igans316 echoed his sentiments, but I'm having trouble going that high. Why? Because the first 14 minutes were approximately 18% of the running time (this was one SHORT film!) and there were some anomalies in the remaining 82% along with the dreaded "shaky cam." So, I'm forced to go considerably lower. I'm thinking it deserves to be right here....

post #19437 of 21865 Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I agree--the color balance and sharpness changed from scene to scene for no reason that I could relate to the content of the movie. The best single shot was the opening shot of Marilyn appearing in a spotlight wearing a white dress, from a completely black screen. After that, it was downhill, then uphill, then downhill, etc.... Entertaining movie, though.

I agree...it was an entertaining movie. I have heard from several reliable sources that this *week* in Marilyn's life was quite characteristic of her (short) adult life. What a tragedy it was...the inevitable outcome of Hollywood's influence on one who rose to fame from obscurity based mainly on her beauty and charm.

post #19438 of 21865 Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Kung Fu Panda 2

Nothing much to criticize. Looks fantastic. Sound wise, it looks to be slightly less aggressive in comparison to it's predecessor. Well done sequel.

Recommendation: Tier 0, above Kung Fu Panda 1

post #19439 of 21865 Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Man on a Ledge

WOW!!! Details, details, and more details....and then add in a good dose of depth and dimensionality. I guess that makes this 3D. smile.gif Regarding details, facial details excelled all the way through, especially close-ups of Ed Harris and Sam Worthington (they were Tier Blu FOR SURE).

Flesh tones were also spot-on....contrast was very good....clarity and sharpness were the norm...and colors, though hindered somewhat by blue/teal hues, were still excellent. Blacks were the only disappointment to me, though even here they weren't bad (no instances of crush or murkiness). They just didn't rise to the "deep and inky" status that gives an even greater sense of depth and provides other colors with a definite pop.

I have no doubt this will be voted into Tier 1. The question is high, mid, or low? My vote goes for near the top....

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*

post #19440 of 21865 Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The Descendants

Looks excellent. A few soft shots but the rest looks natural coupled with many eye catching imagery.

Very good movie too,

Recommendation: Tier 1.5

The Tree of Life

Visually stunning but oh my god, this movie sucked and is a mess from start to finish. It was like switching between a drama in ultra slow motion and a muted National Geographic documentary. Should be called Colossal Pile of Crap.mad.gif

Recommendation: Tier 1.0

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page