Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Lawrence of Arabia

Recommendation: Tier 0

I was watching this film last night for the first time and frankly, nothing I've ever seen could come close to this film. It's simply the most visually stunning work of art I've ever seen.

However, I went looking for this film in the tier thread and it's not listed at all. What am I missing here?

Your review prompted me to check out the review I had given of this exceptional Blu-ray release. I can't say it's the absolute best that I've ever seen, but it is the BEST CATALOG TITLE, bar none. Here's my review if you care to read it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/858316/the-new-pq-tier-thread-for-blu-ray-discussion/19800#post_22650913

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21452 of 21886 Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Lawrence of Arabia

Recommendation: Tier 0

I was watching this film last night for the first time and frankly, nothing I've ever seen could come close to this film. It's simply the most visually stunning work of art I've ever seen.

However, I went looking for this film in the tier thread and it's not listed at all. What am I missing here?

Your review prompted me to check out the review I had given of this exceptional Blu-ray release. I can't say it's the absolute best that I've ever seen, but it is the BEST CATALOG TITLE, bar none. Here's my review if you care to read it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/858316/the-new-pq-tier-thread-for-blu-ray-discussion/19800#post_22650913

Thanks for the link.

I used to have the R4 DVD of LOA back in the early naughties, but I wasn't able to appreciate and completely watch it all the way through, due to limitations in technology at the time. Now that I have system capable of providing the best presentation BD has to offer, kit listed below, I'm now able to view it as it is intended to be seen.

I'm still only part way through the UK release of the film; stopped where Lawrence exits Prince Faisal's tent and walks into the desert on Friday night. My intent though, is to view it completely the first time for PQ, and for a second time for plot content.

More comments of this later, when I'm more familiar with qualities of this title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

how does Lawrence of Arabia compare to Thin Red Line in terms of overall PQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Quote:

So, are implying something by giving us that statistic?
Have you seen TTRL on Blu-ray? If so, what are your impressions?

I have both, and TTRL is outstanding, but LoA trumps it for shear detail

I also have both films now, and I completely agree with your assessment of TTRL v LOA.

My kit, as relevant to video:
  • Sony BDP-S790
  • Denon AVR-3313
  • Panasonic TX-P50GT50B plasma display

BDP is configured for 'Original Resolution" mode (1080/24P) and sends YCbCr4:4:4 signal to display with AVR configured for BD 'Pass-through' mode.

Display is configured for '1080P Pure Direct' mode and was calibrated in summer 2013 using Spears and Munsil v2 calibration disk.
post #21453 of 21886 Old 05-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone picking up Stalingrad?
post #21454 of 21886 Old 05-18-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post

Anyone picking up Stalingrad?

Hey Russ, thanks for the heads up on this release; I had never heard of it. If my local video store has it in Blu I will most definitely rent it. I'm not sure I would want to buy it.

On a side note, I have been (and am still) extremely busy and that's why I haven't been watching and reviewing Blus lately. I should be caught up soon and then I'll resume my favorite hobby! cool.gif
rusky_g likes this.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21455 of 21886 Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Flying Tigers

recommendation: Tier 4.0*

Flying Tigers' vintage black-and-white cinematography survives reasonably well in this decent presentation from Olive Films. The John Wayne war movie employs an unusual amount of special effects and stock footage for a World War II-era film, hindering the maximum grade it could score under the PQ Tiers. The scan looks relatively modern from a film element with moderate damage to some of the reels. Its contrast and black levels are better than expected, some of it has a pleasing sense of detail and sharpness.

The film elements have had no serious restoration, though the transfer has not been overly processed, leaving an authentic film-like presentation.

The Women (1939)

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Warner Bros. went the extra mile restoring this film for its 75th anniversary. The brief Technicolor sequence looks incredible with dazzling colors. This is a top-notch restoration, the comedy will never look much better. I am fairly sure it underwent a 4K scan, the 1080p video pulls out as much fine detail as possible from film stock of this age. There has been slight grain management tools used in the transfer, though it is barely perceptible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21456 of 21886 Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Lawrence of Arabia

I can state emphatically that this is the BEST CATALOG TITLE TO DATE, bar none! I kept pausing scenes to take in the marvel of this phenomenal restoration. I even found myself saying out loud, "How can this be a 50 year old movie?" KUDOs to Sony for achieving this "marvel of marvels."

I really don't know where to begin, for everything was superb.....DETAILS were exquisite....DEPTH was amazing....COLORS were vibrant....CONTRAST was strong....FLESH TONES were spot on....BLACKS were deep & inky....SHADOW DETAILS were excellent. Add to this list a true, film-like look (thanks to a fine layer of grain throughout) and you simply couldn't ask for anything more. This gets my highest recommendation, especially for fans of this classic epic!

I suppose I have to mention the few fleeting flaws that I noticed, though I feel I'm being a nitpick in doing so in light of its nearly 4 hour running time. During some of the desert scenes softness crept in (usually during sand storms) and I thought I observed a few seconds of banding in the desert sky. I also thought I saw what might have been a fake background or two (i.e. matte paintings), but this was off in the distance and didn't really distract from the exceptional details in the foreground.

I would be shocked if this didn't end up in the coveted top Tier. If not for the few anomalies just alluded to I might have nominated this for a place near the top, or at least in the middle, but all things considered I'm voting for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (Right above Domino)*

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....

Actually with the exception of the banding you mention, I saw none of those "flaws".

I've read several reviews of this film, and they all consistently say the banding is in the actual film and is a result of desert heat during the shooting of LOA. Possibly the film stock wasn't stored correctly or was mishandled in some way immediately after shooting the scenes.

Other than that, I completely agree with your assessment of LOA. Good review and thanks for taking the time to do so.
post #21457 of 21886 Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Hannie Caulder

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

Aside from a touch of sharpening this is a beautiful film transfer from high-quality elements, including possibly the camera negative. Olive Films has graced it with a competent AVC video encode, though hints of compression noise peek through the clouds during the opening act. There is a drop in clarity for the optical F/X, though the short film doesn't contain more a handful of them.

Hannie Caulder's widescreen cinematography turns out great in 1080p with a number of gorgeous panoramic shots. The film print is almost entirely free of debris and wear while retaining a pleasing level of grain structure. The color palette possesses a nice level of saturation and has a very crisp contrast for 1971 film stock. This Blu-ray definitely delivers an authentic film experience begging to be seen on a large projection screen. A real nice job by Olive Films on this overlooked Western starring Raquel Welch.

post #21458 of 21886 Old 05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Haganai: Next

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

A new anime release from Funimation, Haganai's second season makes suitable Tier One material. Matching up quite well in the same style of animation as the first season, the sharp character designs and lush color palette are rendered in nearly perfect clarity. A few stray compression artifacts don't significantly drop the overall rating.

The animation lacks some of the fluidity and detail seen in better theatrical animation ranked closer to Tier Zero.

post #21459 of 21886 Old 05-23-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

In Like Flint

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

A beautiful film print rendered in faithful glory on Blu-ray. The 1967 spy spoof is rich with color, its 1080p presentation has striking contrast and sharp detail. The eye-catching color palette is real eye candy.

Twilight Time licensed this movie from Twentieth Century-Fox, I'm not sure how Fox let this transfer slip from their clutches. The high-quality film transfer has almost certainly been struck from the original camera negative. Aside from some minor ringing, the Cinemascope film looks as good or better as it ever has since theatrical release. The level of top-notch detail indicates a very recent film scan, a huge positive. A strong AVC video encode at top parameters rounds out the list of attributes, carefully preserving the original film grain and more difficult visual subject matter, such as a steam room scene enshrouded with fine mist.

This is easily among the best-looking discs put out by Twilight Time, especially from their Fox-licensed assortment. Mild ringing, noticeable on bigger displays, is the only problem keeping In Like Flint out of Tier One.

post #21460 of 21886 Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28

Anchorman 2

All aspects of PQ are solidly in tier 1. Closeups especially looked good with facial details and flesh tones rendered beautifully. The PQ never drops below tier 1 but also never seems to rise above it either, just a good consistent presentation.

The soundtrack was excellent mixed in 5.1, lots of great songs from the late '70s.

Tier Recommendation: 1.5

rusky_g likes this.

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

post #21461 of 21886 Old 05-25-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

"Crocodile" Dundee

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

There are no major problems with this catalog title from Paramount, given its own disc in a two-disc set with the sequel. I wouldn't characterize it as the newest film transfer, aspects of it look somewhat dated with vague hints of video processing. The 1986 film has its picturesque moments, certainly some of the shots in the Australian Outback are very nice.

Finally given its due on Blu-ray years after the format was released, Paramount has done a credible job in this 1080p presentation with a fairly authentic film experience. There are no serious problems that bar it from the second Tier and the film elements are in very good shape. A mushy opening scene is its worst failing, which appears to have been filmed on inferior stock.

"Crocodile" Dundee II

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

Strangely, the more recent sequel probably deserves a lower score with more overt processing, including some halos in a number of scenes. The two film transfers have much in common, however. It looks like both experienced very similar workflows when their film transfers were struck. A newer film scan might have produced a little more clarity and resolution but this is definitely a huge improvement over DVD. Paramount did a fine job with them considering no one would have blinked if they had simply dumped a terrible film master on the format for these older catalog movies.

I hope everyone is enjoying Memorial Day weekend.
rusky_g likes this.

post #21462 of 21886 Old 05-26-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Strangely, the more recent sequel probably deserves a lower score with more overt processing, including some halos in a number of scenes.

Hmmm your scores for both seem to indicate below average.
post #21463 of 21886 Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Quote:

Strangely, the more recent sequel probably deserves a lower score with more overt processing, including some halos in a number of scenes.

Hmmm your scores for both seem to indicate below average.
In practice, Tier Two has mostly ended up including fairly average-looking material. Most of them have more depth and clarity than the discs that end up in Tier Three, the realm of poorer transfers and worse film stocks. We have to make very fine distinctions in the Tiers, it is always how a disc looks against all other ranked discs. Both Dundees look better than Tier Three material. For catalog transfers from the Eighties, they exceeded my expectations.

I was merely pointing out some evident sharpening in the sequel's transfer, which has more noticeable halos. If I had to guess, the transfers were likely struck a few years ago when Blu-ray was a new format.

post #21464 of 21886 Old 05-27-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Way of the Wicked

recommendation: Tier 0* (near the bottom)

Image's disposable horror fodder turns in a nearly reference-looking BD, largely thanks to excellent use of the RED digital camera. The crisp video has a startlingly clean quality with better depth than one associates with most all-digital productions. Avoiding a lot of heavy VFX doesn't hurt either for the direct-to-video production.

post #21465 of 21886 Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In Like Flint

A beautiful film print rendered in faithful glory on Blu-ray. The 1967 spy spoof is rich with color, its 1080p presentation has striking contrast and sharp detail. The eye-catching color palette is real eye candy.

Twilight Time licensed this movie from Twentieth Century-Fox, I'm not sure how Fox let this transfer slip from their clutches. The high-quality film transfer has almost certainly been struck from the original camera negative. Aside from some minor ringing, the Cinemascope film looks as good or better as it ever has since theatrical release. The level of top-notch detail indicates a very recent film scan, a huge positive. A strong AVC video encode at top parameters rounds out the list of attributes, carefully preserving the original film grain and more difficult visual subject matter, such as a steam room scene enshrouded with fine mist.

This is easily among the best-looking discs put out by Twilight Time, especially from their Fox-licensed assortment. Mild ringing, noticeable on bigger displays, is the only problem keeping In Like Flint out of Tier One.

I'm tempted to get this Blu after reading your excellent review Phantom; I've always been a fan of this movie. We 're out of town (again!) but I really do hope to get back into the swing of things.

I was in a Best Buy today and found myself buying the first season of House of Cards. One of my sons-in-law has encouraged me to see it, knowing that I love good, political thrillers. I read on Hi-Def Digest that the PQ is stellar! Has anyone seen the Blu-ray release?

post #21466 of 21886 Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

In Like Flint

I'm tempted to get this Blu after reading your excellent review Phantom; I've always been a fan of this movie. We 're out of town (again!) but I really do hope to get back into the swing of things.

I was in a Best Buy today and found myself buying the first season of House of Cards. One of my sons-in-law has encouraged me to see it, knowing that I love good, political thrillers. I read on Hi-Def Digest that the PQ is stellar! Has anyone seen the Blu-ray release?
After seeing Our Man Flint and In Like Flint, one realizes where Austin Powers got his mojo. Personally, I'm waiting for Twilight Time to release Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison in June. I do happen to have House of Cards on my deep pile of unwatched Blu-rays. I've also heard great things about it.

Anyone into films from the 1960s and 1970s should check out Cinema Retro Magazine:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php

post #21467 of 21886 Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I, Frankenstein

I'm not quite sure if this will qualify as a review, for I could only stomach about half of this HORRIBLE film and I had to shut it down. What I did see was "okay," but nothing spectacular. It had its moments where detail abounded, especially close-ups of the lead actor (and others). Black levels could really shine, but there were instances where the black bars looked more like a really dark gray, and there were several instances of murkiness. This may be attributed to dimly-lit scenes, which were numerous. The color palette was intentionally drab, which didn't help matters any. To be sure there were scenes/shots that veered into low Tier 0/high Tier 1, but these were the exception and not the rule. Depth could be astounding, but again these were few and far between.

I'm thinking this falls short of demo-quality, but it still deserves a place in Tier Silver. I'm opting for the top of that tier.....

Tier Recommendation: 2.0*

rusky_g likes this.

post #21468 of 21886 Old 05-29-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

3 Days to Kill

This one fared much better (though the film itself has zero-repeat value). It was shot exclusively in Paris (I believe) and aerials and close-ups were superb, teeming with details of brick streets, ornate buildings (including the Eiffel Tower), trees, cars, etc., etc. Facial close-ups of Kevin Costner were exemplary and the director zoomed in on him quite often. Colors were pure EYE CANDY....contrast was super-strong (with rich, dark blacks and brilliant whites)...depth was appreciable...flesh tones were spot-on...and there was a consistent sharp picture throughout with plenty of clarity. Again, the film is nothing to write home about, but those who love eye candy may want to give this a rent for the eye candy factor.

This demo material, to be sure, but it's NOT reference. It will find itself easily in Tier 1 and my feeling is it deserves a place near the top....

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*

post #21469 of 21886 Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I also rented Pompeii, which is supposedly another DUD as far as the film itself goes. But I'm hoping the cinematography will be rewarding and I'll be able to give some promising remarks regarding the PQ. I have company coming in a few hours so maybe I'll slip that in momentarily.

post #21470 of 21886 Old 05-29-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a first. I'm watching the Blu load on my screen and all of a sudden a window pops up informing me that my TV is NOT 3D compatible (which it isn't). I instantly checked the slipcase for the 2D copy and lo and behold, IT WAS EMPTY! It said on the slipcase that it contained both the 2D and 3D versions so I drove downtown to our local video store and the clerk, giving the proverbial "deer in the headlights" look said, "Gosh, I don't know what to say." She ended up letting me exchange it for another Blu and I chose The Monuments Men. I haven't seen any reviews on the PQ of this title, but I do believe the movie itself should be vastly superior to what Pompeii would have been. I called the company that's arriving later tonight and they said they'd like to see it. I'll chime in later!

post #21471 of 21886 Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I, Frankenstein

I'm not quite sure if this will qualify as a review, for I could only stomach about half of this HORRIBLE film and I had to shut it down. What I did see was "okay," but nothing spectacular. It had its moments where detail abounded, especially close-ups of the lead actor (and others). Black levels could really shine, but there were instances where the black bars looked more like a really dark gray, and there were several instances of murkiness. This may be attributed to dimly-lit scenes, which were numerous. The color palette was intentionally drab, which didn't help matters any. To be sure there were scenes/shots that veered into low Tier 0/high Tier 1, but these were the exception and not the rule. Depth could be astounding, but again these were few and far between.

I'm thinking this falls short of demo-quality, but it still deserves a place in Tier Silver. I'm opting for the top of that tier.....

Tier Recommendation: 2.0*
It was that bad, huh? I'm sure you saw enough of it to evaluate the video quality. We'll call it the patrick99 exception in this case.
Quote:

This is a first. I'm watching the Blu load on my screen and all of a sudden a window pops up informing me that my TV is NOT 3D compatible (which it isn't). I instantly checked the slipcase for the 2D copy and lo and behold, IT WAS EMPTY! It said on the slipcase that it contained both the 2D and 3D versions so I drove downtown to our local video store and the clerk, giving the proverbial "deer in the headlights" look said, "Gosh, I don't know what to say." She ended up letting me exchange it for another Blu and I chose The Monuments Men. I haven't seen any reviews on the PQ of this title, but I do believe the movie itself should be vastly superior to what Pompeii would have been. I called the company that's arriving later tonight and they said they'd like to see it. I'll chime in later!
Something similar happened to me when I ordered a used BD from some online retailer. The store had split up the 2-D and 3-D discs in the set and I guess had intended to sell them separately.

post #21472 of 21886 Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Transformers: The Movie (1986) (region-free UK edition)

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Aside from unusual blurring in a couple of short scenes, this long out-of-print BD from the UK looks quite impressive. I had intended to purchase this one a few years ago but only recently acquired it, as its rarity on the used market has driven up prices for it. Decades before Michael Bay would mess with Decepticons waging war on the Autobots, the cartoon series had its own animated theatrical release in 1986. The classic cel animation holds up quite well, an argument could be made this is easily one of the stronger animated film transfers from the Eighties. There is very little room left for visual improvement, this BD preserves the original integrity of the animation to a very high degree. A couple of small errors could be fixed but we are seeing vintage animation brimming with vitality. It's a shame no one has bothered releasing this film in the United States on Blu-ray.

Released by British distributor Metrodome as a region-free BD in the UK, the 85-minute main feature is showcased in a 1080p presentation that really pops with nice colors and fantastic clarity. There are clear remnants of a few debris particles, reminding us this is cel animation made before the advent of digital scanning. The transfer is completely unprocessed, we are getting a high-quality image harvest without filtering or halos. First released in 2007, I suppose the transfer had been recently struck at the time from the camera negative.

The AVC video encode is the older MPEG-2 technology at moderate bitrates in the twenties. Transformers' bold animation must compress very well, since there aren't a trace of artifacts. The video encode perfectly replicates the fine grain structure and nuances of the animation.

I was a little leery of this older Blu-ray's quality before seeing it, especially considering how quickly it went out of print. After enjoying the video quality immensely, this is one BD that definitely qualifies for Tier One. I wish I could rank it higher but there are some limitations inherent to the animation.

post #21473 of 21886 Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was that bad, huh? I'm sure you saw enough of it to evaluate the video quality. We'll call it the patrick99 exception in this case.

Yes, it was that bad Phantom. It was so disjointed with terrible acting, and it was obvious the director relied heavily on CGI action scenes to carry the show. The trouble is, one tired easily of so much CGI: I was longing for some character development but alas, it never happened (during the first half, that is). I chuckled at your remark about patrick99, for I too thought of him as I was calling it quits halfway through. smile.gif

I should mention that after our company arrived the weather cooled down to a very pleasant 70 degrees and we found ourselves going for a long walk in our country development, followed by a long discussion over various topics on the patio. So, we never got around to viewing The Monument Men.

post #21474 of 21886 Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

There is NO missing disc...I, FRANKENSTEIN has both the 2D and 3D on ONE disc. You probably did not select the 2D version.

post #21475 of 21886 Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

There is NO missing disc...I, FRANKENSTEIN has both the 2D and 3D on ONE disc. You probably did not select the 2D version.

Not according to the video store manager. I was just there and he apologized to me for forgetting to put the 2D version in the slipcase. Besides, if both versions would have been on one disc they should have given me the option, while it was loading, to pick which version I wanted to view. Instead, a window came up informing me that my TV was not compatible with this 3D disc.

If you do have a copy with both versions on one disc, then you must have purchased it and they decided to NOT include both versions on the rental disc.

post #21476 of 21886 Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Not according to the video store manager. I was just there and he apologized to me for forgetting to put the 2D version in the slipcase. Besides, if both versions would have been on one disc they should have given me the option, while it was loading, to pick which version I wanted to view. Instead, a window came up informing me that my TV was not compatible with this 3D disc.

If you do have a copy with both versions on one disc, then you must have purchased it and they decided to NOT include both versions on the rental disc.

Nope. I rented it via Redbox.. Both on a single disc..

http://www.redbox.com/movies/i-frankenstein-blu-ray

Store managers are generally ignorant of discs and fornats. (just as many Target/Best Buy/ employees know little about home video.) He probably just assumed the 2D version was missing because some other studios do use a two-disc format. Believe me, if I, FRANKENSTEIN really was on 2 discs, I bet your store would only have stocked the 2D version.
slimm likes this.

post #21477 of 21886 Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Nope. I rented it via Redbox.. Both on a single disc..

http://www.redbox.com/movies/i-frankenstein-blu-ray

Store managers are generally ignorant of discs and fornats. (just as many Target/Best Buy/ employees know little about home video.) He probably just assumed the 2D version was missing because some other studios do use a two-disc format. Believe me, if I, FRANKENSTEIN really was on 2 discs, I bet your store would only have stocked the 2D version.

Just to clarify, I made two trips to the video store. The first time I was there I encountered the clueless clerk who didn't know anything about what discs should be in what slipcases. The second trip was when the store manager was there and he actually showed me the SEPARATE 2D version and then apologized for the slipcase only containing the 3D version. So I can't understand how Redbox is able to rent Blu-rays with only disc. For the record, I have NEVER rented a Blu-ray that contained one disc with both versions on it.

post #21478 of 21886 Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Some studios include 2-D and 3-D on the same disc. Rental discs can and will often be different from retail configurations. It's possible that Netflix simply got the retail disc instead of a rental version on this particular movie.

Best Buy has a large number of catalog BDs at the moment on sale for $4.99, presumably for the upcoming Father's Day holiday. A lot of war and John Wayne movies.

post #21479 of 21886 Old 05-30-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Best Buy has a large number of catalog BDs at the moment on sale for $4.99, presumably for the upcoming Father's Day holiday. A lot of war and John Wayne movies.

Yes, it's for Father's Day. My BB has had a display up for some time and I picked up the new Steve McQueen Collection for $20; The Sand Pebbles, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, The Thomas Crown Affair. I hope to view TCA soon as it has not been reviewed, the one in the rankings list is the remake.

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

post #21480 of 21886 Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post

Quote:

Yes, it's for Father's Day. My BB has had a display up for some time and I picked up the new Steve McQueen Collection for $20; The Sand Pebbles, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, The Thomas Crown Affair. I hope to view TCA soon as it has not been reviewed, the one in the rankings list is the remake.
I saw a high-definition print of The Thomas Crown Affair a couple of years ago on one of the premium broadcast channels. I have no idea if the Blu-ray will share that transfer but the optical FX work in it, especially in the splitscreens, were a bit rough.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page