Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Lone Survivor

SWEET!! We can finally add another live action movie to the REFERENCE TIER!

I'm tired so I'll make this short. DETAILS abound in nearly every shot of its 2-hour running time, whether it's the Afghanistan terrain (though it was actually filmed in New Mexico) with its gorgeous mountains, forests, and deserts, or the MANY facial close-ups revealing every bit of blood, sweat and tears (and also pores, snot, cuts, dirt, grime, etc.). I hadn't seen texture in faces like this since the Transporter trilogy. Details in clothing was also amazing. DEPTH was also phenomenal with scenes so real that you felt you could reach out and touch a tree or a soldier. FLESH TONES were as good as they get. COLORS were vivid. SHARPNESS & CLARITY were off the charts!

About the only gripe were blacks levels that became a bit murky with a smidgen of noise, but these were limited to a couple of fleeting shots. In all other cases blacks were deep and inky with finely-rendered shadow details.

I would say this is most definitely one of the best live action Blus to date and I'd place it at about the .33 mark in Tier 0. To be more precise, I'd put it right here....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (right above Live Free or Die Hard)

PS The audio was stellar with plenty of action in the surrounds during gunfights and helicopter flights, and some very impressive bass in multiple scenes. The movie was also excellent!

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....

Sounds like I made a good buy. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out this weekend and come back and agree with your rating! smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21512 of 21891 Old 06-06-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Sounds like I made a good buy. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out this weekend and come back and agree with your rating! smile.gif

I trust you will agree with a Tier 0 rating...maybe not the exact location I chose, but that it's still a worthy contender for Tier Blu. Enjoy!

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21513 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'm starting to wonder if it's my display (ST60 plasma) that it's having issues with color banding...? Two out of the last three blurays I've watched have had bad gradients.

Last night it was "All is Lost". Color banding was quite bad in the sky during the opening shot. There were also scenes like the one during the big storm that the noise in the rainy background was so bad it was almost unwatchable. Almost a smearing oil paint affect. Otherwise the PQ of the movie was pretty good.

Has anyone else had a chance to check out this movie? If so please comment on if you noticed any off these issues.

Thanks
post #21514 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I'm starting to wonder if it's my display (ST60 plasma) that it's having issues with color banding...? Two out of the last three blurays I've watched have had bad gradients.

Last night it was "All is Lost". Color banding was quite bad in the sky during the opening shot. There were also scenes like the one during the big storm that the noise in the rainy background was so bad it was almost unwatchable. Almost a smearing oil paint affect. Otherwise the PQ of the movie was pretty good.

Had anyone less had a chance to check out this movie? If so please comment on if you noticed any off these issues.

Thanks

Quite a few people commented on the banding in All is Lost in the AiL thread including me and I agree, it was horrible at times.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #21515 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I just did some digging and found that thread as well.

Should have known it wasn't my display ;-)
post #21516 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Has anyone else had a chance to check out this movie? If so please comment on if you noticed any off these issues.

Thanks
It's a movie distributed by Lionsgate on Blu-ray. Their video encodes occasionally contain posterization and chroma banding. If the video is not picture-perfect, it is not uncommon to find the occasional compression problem in them. To my eyes it does not appear they are using the latest hardware encoders or even using the correct settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21517 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty

This is a very colourful looking Blu Ray. Generally the picture is sharp with only a few soft shots spoiling the fun. Elsewhere detail soars, notably in the Greenland and Iceland scenes which show off some fantastic location shots. Greens in particular were very vivid in this film! I did witness a couple of murky moments specifically a panning shot on Mitty's first plane journey. Scenes featuring Mitty's Mother also tended to act as a cue for contrast and colour to drop, resulting in those being the flatter looking scenes in the film.

Overall though I was pleased enough to rank this....

Tier 1.5
post #21518 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 04:41 PM

By the way anyone seen Robocop yet? (Remake)
post #21519 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty

This is a very colourful looking Blu Ray. Generally the picture is sharp with only a few soft shots spoiling the fun. Elsewhere detail soars, notably in the Greenland and Iceland scenes which show off some fantastic location shots. Greens in particular were very vivid in this film! I did witness a couple of murky moments specifically a panning shot on Mitty's first plane journey. Scenes featuring Mitty's Mother also tended to act as a cue for contrast and colour to drop, resulting in those being the flatter looking scenes in the film.

Overall though I was pleased enough to rank this....

Tier 1.5

Good review Russ! You and I pretty much ended up with the same Tier Recommendation, though in my mind it was the Iceland/Afghanistan scenes that blew me away. Also, I didn't even recognize a drop in contrast or color in the scenes with Shirley MacLaine....the details in her face, neck and hands captivated my attention and I wasn't even dwelling on anything else.

Quote:

By the way anyone seen Robocop yet? (Remake)

I have been to the video store three times to rent Robocop and their Blu shelf for this release has been empty each time. I even asked the clerk to contact me when one comes back, which she usually does, but she hasn't called me. I'm offended! frown.gifwink.gif
rusky_g likes this.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21520 of 21891 Old 06-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Good review Russ! You and I pretty much ended up with the same Tier Recommendation, though in my mind it was the Iceland/Afghanistan scenes that blew me away. Also, I didn't even recognize a drop in contrast or color in the scenes with Shirley MacLaine....the details in her face, neck and hands captivated my attention and I wasn't even dwelling on anything else.
I have been to the video store three times to rent Robocop and their Blu shelf for this release has been empty each time. I even asked the clerk to contact me when one comes back, which she usually does, but she hasn't called me. I'm offended! frown.gifwink.gif

Hi Denny!
With regards to the Greenland thing, I basically felt that PQ was ramped up upon Mittys travels but I should have added that it peaks at Afgahnistan as I agree those chapters were superb. With reference to Mittys Mother I did note some excellent detail facially but her residence was drab compared to the other locations we are treated to.

Unlucky with Robocop, I saw a snippet and it looks promising, Tier 1 at least wink.gif
post #21521 of 21891 Old 06-09-2014, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Oblivion

After being amazed by the PQ of Oblivion, I wanted to see what my favourite ranking thread thought of it wink.gif

I've watched these titles from Tier 0:
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Man on Fire
Sin City
Transformers

and I recommend a ranking in Tier 0 above Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Facial details were very good and Vicca's face showed excessive use of make-up. Jack(s) clothing showed fine details in the leather.
The aerial shots over the lush green mountains had great depth.

post #21522 of 21891 Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Robocop 2014

I'll get to the point - Robocop 2014 looks fantastic on BluRay!

This is one exceptionally sharp and clear disc with stunning levels of clarity throughout. Contrast and black levels are all on the right side of the law here, as Robocop wipes out villainous anomalies such as grain and artifacts. It has that 'Elysium' resolution that I enjoy so much with just a couple of scenes being softer but only in the context of their crisp and shiny peers.

Throughout, only one question resonated: low tier zero or very high tier one? I think the thread consensus will edge towards the latter as some may note the odd softness and facial shot which falls short of the best...but I'm going to plump for my final gut reaction here...

Just too much good stuff going on...

Tier 0.75
djoberg and fredxr2d2 like this.
post #21523 of 21891 Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Steins; Gate: Part 2

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

This Funimation release covers the second half of Steins; Gate, which I recently covered in an earlier post. If you notice, its placement is a half-Tier lower than the first set. Funimation has been criticized for mediocre compression standards in the past but this is possibly the worst example I've personally viewed. There were a few instances of moderate banding in the first set, though it was a mostly acceptable level of banding. This release sees dramatically worse banding, a couple of episodes in the series are awash in posterization. It drops the raw modern animation a whole Tier down from its rightful place in Tier 1.25.

It's a shame as the anime is brilliant and looks great for the most part. Its video encode's banding, more typical of streaming Hi-Def video, should never be seen on a Blu-ray.

post #21524 of 21891 Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmavs View Post

Oblivion

After being amazed by the PQ of Oblivion, I wanted to see what my favourite ranking thread thought of it wink.gif

I've watched these titles from Tier 0:
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Man on Fire
Sin City
Transformers

and I recommend a ranking in Tier 0 above Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Facial details were very good and Vicca's face showed excessive use of make-up. Jack(s) clothing showed fine details in the leather.
The aerial shots over the lush green mountains had great depth.

I couldn't agree more!!!! Its one of my favorites and I still have beef with the fact that Oblivion isn't currently ranked in tier 0. Another review or two like this and it will be in its rightful place.
rusky_g likes this.
post #21525 of 21891 Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Robocop 2014

Quote:

Robocop 2014

I'll get to the point - Robocop 2014 looks fantastic on BluRay!

This is one exceptionally sharp and clear disc with stunning levels of clarity throughout. Contrast and black levels are all on the right side of the law here, as Robocop wipes out villainous anomalies such as grain and artifacts. It has that 'Elysium' resolution that I enjoy so much with just a couple of scenes being softer but only in the context of their crisp and shiny peers.

Throughout, only one question resonated: low tier zero or very high tier one? I think the thread consensus will edge towards the latter as some may note the odd softness and facial shot which falls short of the best...but I'm going to plump for my final gut reaction here...

Just too much good stuff going on...

Tier 0.75

I agree with just about every point that Russ has made in his excellent review. I did notice the black levels falter somewhat in really dark scenes (my black bars weren't as black as I like them), but they were quite good in all of the brighter scenes. It started out with a scene in Tehran where the director chose to employ some color-grading with an orange hue, but it wasn't oppressive...there were also some teal hues sprinkled throughout the movie, but again, they weren't bothersome like some current action Blu-rays. He was also right about softness in some scenes, but they were pretty much limited to CGI shots. The only other "nitpick" would be the scenes with Samuel Jackson; I was NOT impressed with the detail in them, especially the facial shots of Mr. Jackson.

Aside from the censuring above, this was indeed a SHARP and DETAILED film, with really nice saturated colors. Add to that some phenomenal DEPTH in several scenes. Some of my favorite shots in the movie were aerial views of Detroit at night...the black levels were absolutely stellar in them.

Russ intimated that there may be those who would "edge towards the latter (i.e. a high tier one rating)" and I'm afraid I'll have to be the first one to lead down that road. My vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

post #21526 of 21891 Old 06-10-2014, 04:01 AM

Denny, great review and I agree the aerial shots looked great!! I am now torn betweern buying Lone Survivor and Monuments Men....
post #21527 of 21891 Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Lone Survivor would easily be my pick!
teachsac and rusky_g like this.
post #21528 of 21891 Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+2

Not only was the PQ a lot better in Lone Survivor, but the movie was vastly superior. I thought Monuments Men was quite boring (slow-paced and lacking action).

post #21529 of 21891 Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

13 Sins

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

There is nothing significantly wrong with 13 Sins, a new direct-to-video thriller that hits Blu-ray next week. Deftly filmed using the Arri Alexa camera, the 1080p video is somewhat flat and uninvolving. Anchor Bay provides it an adequate AVC video encode, preserving the digital intermediate's clarity and sharp picture. Fine detail could be stronger in its longer shots, close-ups contain more resolution than the softer, medium-range angles.

A satisfactory presentation that doesn't scream demo material but turns in a very consistent visual experience.
rusky_g likes this.

post #21530 of 21891 Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Denny, great review and I agree the aerial shots looked great!! I am now torn betweern buying Lone Survivor and Monuments Men....

Quote:

I concur.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #21531 of 21891 Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Consistently splendid. Footage of Tyson shows every little wrinkle and hair, and exterior location shoots rival the best HD (e.g. BBC Earth shows). CGI is top-level feature film quality. Black levels are dark and solid 98% of the time, detail near black is very good. No posterization, EE, or DNR seems evident. I saw banding in one bright "sun in sjy" scene out of 13 episodes, so not a bad ratio. This is easily the best space science documentary from an A/V standpoint I've seen on the format.

Tier Recommendation: 1.0
|Tch0rT| and Phantom Stranger like this.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.

Last edited by mweflen; 06-18-2014 at 11:33 PM.
post #21532 of 21891 Old 06-11-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The World's End

Though detail is strong, black levels fluctuate throughout the feature, to a distracting degree (at least for me). Color is solid, no undue digital tinkering is in evidence. CGI fistfights have a distracting blurriness.

Tier Recommendation: 1.75

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #21533 of 21891 Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The PQ Tiers have survived the change in forum software, intact this time! I like this cleaner forum look for them, it's close to what they originally looked like:

Official Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings: The PQ Tiers (updated through March 27, 2014)

It does appear that stickies in the Blu-ray software forum are somewhat hidden away. The most current version of the PQ Tiers can always be found in my signature at the bottom of my posts.

Let me know if anyone comes across a broken link or mistake. Cinema Squid changed his mind and has kept up the archived portion of his site, so clicking on the older links in the Tiers still takes you to a page with numerous review and other pertinent links for each BD.

If one subscribes to this thread, the change in forum software did stop it for some reason. I had to unsubscribe and then re-subscribe to this thread for updates again.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 06-11-2014 at 10:42 PM.
post #21534 of 21891 Old 06-12-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Like the new look but where is the thumbs up?
post #21535 of 21891 Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Like the new look but where is the thumbs up?
I assume you hit the word "like" that shows up in blue on the right side (above the "Quote" options).

post #21536 of 21891 Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 AM

No 'like' or 'quote' options whilst logged in on iphone.

Upgrade fail!
post #21537 of 21891 Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
No 'like' or 'quote' options whilst logged in on iphone.

Upgrade fail!

Agreed. The change is a big downgrade for users of the mobile version of the site.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #21538 of 21891 Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah Mobile version is a mess! On my android I have no thumbs up and I keep needing to sign myself back in.

Real bummer because I ONLY use the mobile version.

AVS needs to fix asap!
post #21539 of 21891 Old 06-12-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

I was a little disappointed by this big-budget feature's video quality. Expecting near-reference resolution and a perfect picture, the cinematography is more typical of a youth comedy with over-driven contrast and a teal push on its color timing. The picture is sharp and has seemingly nice clarity, but minor aliasing and remnants of the digital composites used to create Walter Mitty's secret world are noticeable throughout the movie's VFX shots.

The video likely has been filtered on some level, stripping the finest layer of micro-detail from close-ups and longer shots. Fox bestows it a solid technical presentation with an AVC video encode that does not call attention to itself.

post #21540 of 21891 Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Orange/Teal (especially Orange!) anyone? This Blu could have possibly found its way into the Reference Tier if not for the pervasive color-grading, some intermittent soft shots, and several instances where faces appeared blurry/fuzzy. The color-grading was the worst culprit, for the orange hues affected flesh tones in numerous shots.

Other than these anomalies, we are treated to a rather sharp and detailed film. Facial close-ups were the highlights to these eyes, most notably EVERY shot of Kevin Costner. His aging is most apparent in HD; I've said this about him in previous Blu-ray releases and this was no exception. His wrinkles are surely mounting up!!

Black levels were, for the most part, very good, but I wouldn't call them reference. The same can be said for shadow details.

Colors were good, but again with a generous amount of color-grading they weren't as impressive as they might have been.

Another "redeeming quality" was a light layer of grain, giving it that "cinematic-look."

All things considered this may be worth of Tier 1, but just barely...

Tier Recommendation: 1.75*

Last edited by djoberg; 06-12-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page