post #21571 of 21965 Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Dial M For Murder 3D

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Do not be alarmed, this is merely a score reflecting the normal 2-D version found on this BD from Warner Bros. It represents the best Dial M For Murder has looked in many years, though due to some problems inherent to the original film elements is not the jaw-dropping eye candy of other mega-buck restorations. WB did their very best with Hitchcock's 1954 film but a number of problems arise, including optical fringing and strange chroma registration errors.

Optical shots and transitions are quite soft with a noticeable drop in resolution. The rest of the 105-minute film is sharper and has a vividly rendered color palette. Decent black levels and an even contrast are both fairly good for this era's film stock. I do think there has been some artificial grain added to the film transfer, its utter uniformity raises mild suspicion on my part. The clarity and resolution are noticeable improvements, this is definitely a newer film scan.

WB went out and actually spent good money on this restoration. It's not the best classic film transfer I've seen but its qualities are immediately apparent in 1080p video. The AVC video encode is a stout affair spread out over a BD-50. This is a relatively grainy film that never breaks into overt compression noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21572 of 21965 Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlittle View Post
No it's up at the top right, Search this Thread. We have lost most post links though.
Thanks Ed, using Android tablet and found the search thread function but when you go to type in the box it then disappears. Awesome...
post #21573 of 21965 Old 06-21-2014, 03:41 AM

Snow White and the Huntsman

Snow White and the Huntsman has a visual appeal fitting to its genre. There are MANY scenes that are beautiful and enchanting, namely when we are introduced to the Dwarves and the spellbinding moments that follow when they enter the 'nice' woods. Elsewhere we are treated to excellent clarity and colours which, whilst sometimes muted, begin to flourish with the storyline.

But it's not a disc without flaws....around Chapter 3 sharpness waivers between too soft and too sharp, with edges becoming ringed, specifically on the jewelry worn by Charlize Theron. Things also become less appealing during the 'eerie' parts of the film, although to be fair they are still done well, showing good shadow detail in the darkest moments. Blacks are mostly awesome, bar a couple of murky exceptions. Facial details are solid although not the benchmark, bar a couple of close ups of Snow White which showed excellent pore definition.

So where does that leave me? GRG pulled rank at 1.75, Djoberg scoring down a notch further at 2.0.....I think because the generally quality was very good, I'll opt for...

post #21574 of 21965 Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Wolf Creek 2

recommendation: Tier 0* (near the middle around Skyfall)

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Wolf Creek 2 will end up as the highest ranked horror film in the PQ Tiers. Hitting home video this coming Tuesday, the Blu-ray release by Image Entertainment has reference quality video. Cleanly presented in an immaculate transfer direct from the digital intermediate, the fun horror film can thank the Arri Alexa Plus 4:3 digital camera with a variety of Hawk lenses. Other films to use those lenses include top-shelf demo discs like The Wolf of Wall Street and Upside Down. Using the camera's full resolution of 2880×2160, every shot oozes incredible detail and razor-sharp depth, from close-ups to longer range distances. Its unrelenting consistency makes it an easy nomination for Tier Zero.

The AVC video encode averages 24.99 Mbps for the main feature, handling 99.9% of the expertly-shot cinematography in crystal-clarity. There are a couple of seconds with very minor banding, in what is otherwise a perfect video encode. Absolutely smooth black levels render intricate shadow delineation, this is not a film where the action ends up being obscured in darkness. You won't miss a single bloody moment.

Is this a slasher or a travelogue for Australia's wilderness? Panoramic landscapes and sun-drenched vistas make for a large amount of scenic eye candy. Cinematographer Toby Oliver really exploited the natural beauty of Australia's landscape for maximum effect in Wolf Creek 2. It is practically a character unto itself in the film.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 06-21-2014 at 07:55 PM.
post #21575 of 21965 Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 AM

Great review Phant! Will hope this gets a UK rls...
post #21576 of 21965 Old 06-22-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Wolf Creek 2

recommendation: Tier 0* (near the middle around Skyfall)

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Wolf Creek 2 will end up as the highest ranked horror film in the PQ Tiers. Hitting home video this coming Tuesday, the Blu-ray release by Image Entertainment has reference quality video. Cleanly presented in an immaculate transfer direct from the digital intermediate, the fun horror film can thank the Arri Alexa Plus 4:3 digital camera with a variety of Hawk lenses. Other films to use those lenses include top-shelf demo discs like The Wolf of Wall Street and Upside Down. Using the camera's full resolution of 2880×2160, every shot oozes incredible detail and razor-sharp depth, from close-ups to longer range distances. Its unrelenting consistency makes it an easy nomination for Tier Zero.

The AVC video encode averages 24.99 Mbps for the main feature, handling 99.9% of the expertly-shot cinematography in crystal-clarity. There are a couple of seconds with very minor banding, in what is otherwise a perfect video encode. Absolutely smooth black levels render intricate shadow delineation, this is not a film where the action ends up being obscured in darkness. You won't miss a single bloody moment.

Is this a slasher or a travelogue for Australia's wilderness? Panoramic landscapes and sun-drenched vistas make for a large amount of scenic eye candy. Cinematographer Toby Oliver really exploited the natural beauty of Australia's landscape for maximum effect in Wolf Creek 2. It is practically a character unto itself in the film.
Sure sounds crispy. I've only acquired/viewed one 0-tier disc so far, The Tree of Life. But noticed the great PQ of many Alexa-shot productions on various PBS Masterpiece series via Verizon's FIOS. Just noticed a video , at SchubinCafe.com, where he seems to speculate it's the Alexa's superior contrast that helps so much.

Also, with all the recent hoopla about 4k derivation, Schubin points out Alexa digital-cinema cameras aren't even 3k. Perhaps someone will undertake actually measuring the maximum effective resolution boost that results from downconversion of >1920X1080 resolutions; that seems feasible with the test patterns on the S-M Blu-ray or other sources (this technique ) . -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 06-22-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #21577 of 21965 Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Yeah, lots of conversation and debate on the 4K vs. 1080p.

For me, at least at this point with my current screen size of 60", I see no need for 4k as long as we continue to see reference quality (tier 0) titles roll out more frequently.

Last edited by wattheF; 06-22-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #21578 of 21965 Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Wolf Creek 2 was modestly budgeted at seven million dollars. Filmmakers are getting a much better grasp of the newer digital production chain and cameras like the Arri Alexa. If a new movie made with professional equipment ends up below Tier One, either the filmmakers didn't know what they were doing or didn't plan the shoot very well. It's a fun slasher for those into that kind of thing, though I don't think the tourism board for Australia will like it very much.
post #21579 of 21965 Old 06-22-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
Great review Phant! Will hope this gets a UK rls...
I can check if it is region-free on my Region B player, if you want.
post #21580 of 21965 Old 06-22-2014, 11:43 PM

If you don't mind that would be great, thanks Phantom
post #21581 of 21965 Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you don't mind that would be great, thanks Phantom
Image Entertainment's Wolf Creek 2 Blu-ray is locked to Region A. I figured as much since Image has regional licenses for most of their movies, but I tested the disc on a Region B player and it would not play. In a bit of irony, the first Wolf Creek has never been released on Blu-ray in North America.
post #21582 of 21965 Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 AM

The Lone Ranger

I felt certain TLR would be a no brainer Tier 0 disc - Disney, the 'Team' that brought you Pirates of the Caribbean?....But sadly that hasn't been the case.

The majority looks fantastic but, as noted in the review on Blu Ray.com, I too saw repeated instances of ringing.

I felt these were most prominent in the brighest of the early outdoor scenes, gravel and stones in particular falling foul of an oversharpened image.

It's a shame, as elsewhere the HD goods were abundant: clarity, contrast, fidelity in aces in MANY scenes, my favorite being the darker / night time ones, particularly when we are introduced to Helena Bonham Carter. Blacks, whilst mostly inky, did occasionaly grey out a bit. Shadow detail was consistently great however.

Facial details were best on William Fitchner - check the shot where he awakes from the 'dynamite cart' explosion. Superb!

Because of the ringing issue though, the odd murky black, this more became The Good, The Bad and The Ugly so is docked as such…

Tier1.25
post #21583 of 21965 Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The Lone Ranger

I felt certain TLR would be a no brainer Tier 0 disc - Disney, the 'Team' that brought you Pirates of the Caribbean?....But sadly that hasn't been the case.

The majority looks fantastic but, as noted in the review on Blu Ray.com, I too saw repeated instances of ringing.

I felt these were most prominent in the brighest of the early outdoor scenes, gravel and stones in particular falling foul of an oversharpened image.

It's a shame, as elsewhere the HD goods were abundant: clarity, contrast, fidelity in aces in MANY scenes, my favorite being the darker / night time ones, particularly when we are introduced to Helena Bonham Carter. Blacks, whilst mostly inky, did occasionaly grey out a bit. Shadow detail was consistently great however.

Facial details were best on William Fitchner - check the shot where he awakes from the 'dynamite cart' explosion. Superb!

Because of the ringing issue though, the odd murky black, this more became The Good, The Bad and The Ugly so is docked as such…

Tier1.25
Reads like, with the ringing, someone attempted restoring some of the "postcard look" for outdoor scenes they tried to avoid by using bleach-bypass processing for the filmed portion. An article linked above outlines the overall 'look' planned for this costly production. Believe most of the shots were with the Alexa digital-cinema camera discussed a few post above. -- John
post #21584 of 21965 Old 06-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Reads like, with the ringing, someone attempted restoring some of the "postcard look" for outdoor scenes they tried to avoid by using bleach-bypass processing for the filmed portion. An article linked above outlines the overall 'look' planned for this costly production. Believe most of the shots were with the Alexa digital-cinema camera discussed a few post above. -- John
John, many thanks. Interesting insight to the achieved look.
post #21585 of 21965 Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
John, many thanks. Interesting insight to the achieved look.
So Russ, if you had not observed any ringing, what would you have recommended for a placement? I rarely see ringing (for which I am thankful) and this is yet another example where I saw no anomalies of any kind, so I voted for Tier Blu.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21586 of 21965 Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Denny, this link is still the most lucid and concise explanation on ringing as it pertains to home video. It's an easy guide to follow for the layman.

http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

We used to include this link in a little section at the top of Tiers but it got eliminated in one of the redesigns.
post #21587 of 21965 Old 06-25-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Denny, this link is still the most lucid and concise explanation on ringing as it pertains to home video. It's an easy guide to follow for the layman.

http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

We used to include this link in a little section at the top of Tiers but it got eliminated in one of the redesigns.
Thanks for the link Phantom.

I recall there being an in-depth discussion on ringing when members were passionately disagreeing about where to place Baraka and The Dark Knight. Interestingly you had three groups chiming in: 1) Those who saw little or no ringing and were voting for Tier 0; 2) Those who were so disgusted with the ringing in a number of scenes that they couldn't bring themselves to offer any words of praise for any of the PQ and thus they thought they belonged in either Tier 2 or 3; and 3) Those who did indeed see ringing in various shots, but it was somewhat minimal and didn't distract them to the point of dropping it down below Tier 0. I, of course, fell into the first camp. If memory serves me, you fell into group number three.

To be honest, others have tried, in vain, to "educate me" so that I would be able to easily detect ringing, but as I've said in the past, DON'T BOTHER!! Why in the world would I want to become an expert in detecting an anomaly that can (and DOES in many cases with certain people) virtually ruin the viewing experience for you? I am content to be oblivious to ringing (unless it's egregious, as in titles like Patton). Like the old adage goes, "Ignorance is bliss!"

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD

Last edited by djoberg; 06-25-2014 at 05:15 AM.
post #21588 of 21965 Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Thanks for the link Phantom.

I recall there being an in-depth discussion on ringing when members were passionately disagreeing about where to place Baraka and The Dark Knight. Interestingly you had three groups chiming in: 1) Those who saw little or no ringing and were voting for Tier 0; 2) Those who were so disgusted with the ringing in a number of scenes that they couldn't bring themselves to offer any words of praise for any of the PQ and thus they thought they belonged in either Tier 2 or 3; and 3) Those who did indeed see ringing in various shots, but it was somewhat minimal and didn't distract them to the point of dropping it down below Tier 0. I, of course, fell into the first camp. If memory serves me, you fell into group number three.

To be honest, others have tried, in vain, to "educate me" so that I would be able to easily detect ringing, but as I've said in the past, DON'T BOTHER!! Why in the world would I want to become an expert in detecting an anomaly that can (and DOES in many cases with certain people) virtually ruin the viewing experience for you? I am content to be oblivious to ringing (unless it's egregious, as in titles like Patton). Like the old adage goes, "Ignorance is bliss!"
I am totally with ya on this one! I too very rarely pick up on ringing and I don't want to learn how to "see" it.

It's funny because generally I have a thirst for knowledge when it comes to audio/video but this is one area i prefer to stay ignorant to.

Another example is phosphor trailing on my plasma. I don't go looking for it, and almost never find it.
post #21589 of 21965 Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM

Denny

That post did make me chuckle.

I feel I would have voted TLR as Tier 0 if it wasn't for the ringing. The effect was lessened to an extent by reducing the contrast down a bit. Maybe its not noticable so much if you have a professional calibration on the Kuro.

Russ
post #21590 of 21965 Old 06-25-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I find ringing less objectionable on smaller displays below 32", which is why many DVD masters were slathered in the edge enhancement process. The resolution was low enough that most people overlooked its artifacts. The false detail it added to the video gave the illusion of more sharpness. It was a much more serious problem on Blu-ray when everyone upgraded to larger displays. There isn't much justification for it on a new high-definition film transfer, the artifacts are hard to miss once you know what to look for in the picture. A problem more common today on new transfers is more of a scaling artifact than pure ringing. The frequent integration of digital composites done at varying resolutions causes aliasing and other artifacts when everything has to be output at one resolution.

The Pit And The Pendulum (UK Region B-locked)

recommendation: Tier 3.25*

Arrow Video delivers a very satisfying, film-like transfer for Roger Corman's Gothic chiller. Using MGM's Hi-Def transfer of the original film elements, this is a fairly solid presentation of less-than-sharp cinematography. The AVC video encode practically maxes out its technical parameters, transparently replicating the original grain structure. The low-budget movie has a nicely saturated color palette with excellent flesh-tones, this is not a revisionist color-timing done by modern hands.
post #21591 of 21965 Old 06-25-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I am totally with ya on this one! I too very rarely pick up on ringing and I don't want to learn how to "see" it.

It's funny because generally I have a thirst for knowledge when it comes to audio/video but this is one area i prefer to stay ignorant to.

Another example is phosphor trailing on my plasma. I don't go looking for it, and almost never find it.
I do believe we are in the *majority* when it comes to rarely seeing ringing and that's why I don't feel it's that important to "learn how to see it." If most were seeing it I would feel quite the responsibility, as one who writes reviews on a Blu-ray's PQ, to learn to identify and then report this anomaly. There are enough anomalies and artifacts that are more noticeable (such as banding. aliasing, black crush, video noise, etc.) by the general population and I make it a point to look closely, with a very critical eye, for these.

I can't ever recall seeing "phosphor trailing" on my Kuro. Russ had wondered if perhaps ringing is not as noticeable on a professionally calibrated Kuro, but the fact is I've never had it professionally calibrated. After a long "break-in" period after I purchased it, I used a well-respected calibrator's suggested settings (his name is D-Nice) and then I did a bit more *tweaking* with some help from David at CNET. Add to this the fact that the Kuro Elites have one of the best "out of the box" modes with their Pure Mode and I have never felt a deep need to have it done professionally. I did, at one point in time, line up a calibration with David Abrams but then I had to cancel it due to a move to Minnesota. Since then he has not toured in our area.

post #21592 of 21965 Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do believe we are in the *majority* when it comes to rarely seeing ringing and that's why I don't feel it's that important to "learn how to see it." If most were seeing it I would feel quite the responsibility, as one who writes reviews on a Blu-ray's PQ, to learn to identify and then report this anomaly. There are enough anomalies and artifacts that are more noticeable (such as banding. aliasing, black crush, video noise, etc.) by the general population and I make it a point to look closely, with a very critical eye, for these.

I can't ever recall seeing "phosphor trailing" on my Kuro. Russ had wondered if perhaps ringing is not as noticeable on a professionally calibrated Kuro, but the fact is I've never had it professionally calibrated. After a long "break-in" period after I purchased it, I used a well-respected calibrator's suggested settings (his name is D-Nice) and then I did a bit more *tweaking* with some help from David at CNET. Add to this the fact that the Kuro Elites have one of the best "out of the box" modes with their Pure Mode and I have never felt a deep need to have it done professionally. I did, at one point in time, line up a calibration with David Abrams but then I had to cancel it due to a move to Minnesota. Since then he has not toured in our area.
I'm sure the phosphor trailing on high end plasma's like your Kuro and even my ST60 is minimal to the point where it's almost unnoticeable anyways.

My 60" ST60 is also not calibrated. I still want to get it calibrated but I have a strange banding issue that Panasonic (of course) won't take care of. It is minimal and doesn't often bother because its on the far right edge of the screen. I am trying to assess the situation a bit more and give it some time to see if it worsens or levels out before sinking money into a cal.
post #21593 of 21965 Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Hey guys, picked up Stalingrad at lunch time.....will report back later
post #21594 of 21965 Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 PM

Stalingrad

HiDef Digest, DvdTalk and Blu-ray.com each gave this disc full marks for PQ.

Exploding onto Blu Ray, Stalingrad is packed with clean, noise free detail yet captures the gritty, ashy feel befitting to its wartime theme. Colours are limited to steely blue and silver hues, punctuated occasionally by the golden orange glow of fire and bullet spray. Blacks and contrast are equally strong, rendering the majority of scenes with reachable depth and dimensionality. Fine detail and fabric textures were consistently good.

This was an almost perfect presentation although I didnt feel it quite hit the tier 0 sweet spot. Still, not bad though....

Tier 1.25
post #21595 of 21965 Old 06-27-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Stalingrad

HiDef Digest, DvdTalk and Blu-ray.com each gave this disc full marks for PQ.

Exploding onto Blu Ray, Stalingrad is packed with clean, noise free detail yet captures the gritty, ashy feel befitting to its wartime theme. Colours are limited to steely blue and silver hues, punctuated occasionally by the golden orange glow of fire and bullet spray. Blacks and contrast are equally strong, rendering the majority of scenes with reachable depth and dimensionality. Fine detail and fabric textures were consistently good.

This was an almost perfect presentation although I didnt feel it quite hit the tier 0 sweet spot. Still, not bad though....

Tier 1.25
Thanks for the good review Russ!

I see that it has a running time of over 3 hours, so I must ask, "How is the movie itself?" Was the acting decent?

post #21596 of 21965 Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the good review Russ!

I see that it has a running time of over 3 hours, so I must ask, "How is the movie itself?" Was the acting decent?

Erm not a film I'd watch if it wasn't for the Picture and Audio to be honest Denny.

What's next on your list to watch?
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #21597 of 21965 Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Finally upgraded my family's 7 year old entry level Sony to a Vizio M602i-B3. Looking forward to watching great PQ movies with an actually great screen! I'll be chiming in more now.

post #21598 of 21965 Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Finally upgraded my family's 7 year old entry level Sony to a Vizio M602i-B3. Looking forward to watching great PQ movies with an actually great screen! I'll be chiming in more now.
Sounds good! We'll be looking for those reviews!

post #21599 of 21965 Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I should have commented on your new Flat Panel. I didn't realize the new M-Series had been released. You are going to love the rich black levels with the Full Array Local Dimming (FALD). Those, along with some exceptional colors and contrast, will be a feast for your eyes!

post #21600 of 21965 Old 06-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Nice work Ed, post some reviews and keep this thread THE # 1 resource for PQ fans :-)
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page