post #21631 of 21648 Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 117
For anyone that's interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Man-From-Snowy...+river+blu+ray

Check out those reviews....over 400 and almost 5 Stars!!

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21632 of 21648 Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM

Liked: 23
Noah has got a 5 star glowing PQ review on Blu-ray.com

On my radar
post #21633 of 21648 Old 07-10-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post

On my radar
It's on my radar as well, since Paramount sent me a review copy.
post #21634 of 21648 Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my radar
Cool! This thread should be "flooded" with reviews soon!

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21635 of 21648 Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl: Complete Series

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

Now out of print, this NIS America set presents the 2011 anime's fluid animation in perfect clarity. The thirteen episodes are spread over two BDs. Beautifully animated by animation house SHAFT, the show easily qualifies for the upper bounds of Tier One.

Given the occasional problems with banding noted on other anime productions, this set is free of that concern with a solid AVC video encode that transparently reproduces the digitally scanned animation. A real visual treat in 1080p resolution with vibrant colors and intricate background designs.
post #21636 of 21648 Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
It's an unheralded but excellent Spaghetti Western. I don't want to get your hopes up, it's not as entertaining as The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The 4-disc set occasionally goes down on Amazon around $23. You get two Blu-rays, a DVD, and Morricone's soundtrack on CD in it. In a bit of irony it probably received a better film transfer than that iconic Westerner.
Newbie here -- been learning (not lurking) over the past few months. It has been a delight learning about the Tiers and experiencing HD viewing for only about 6 months.

After half a year of training, I will be so bold as to venture my first Tier recommendation: I second The Phantom Stranger's fantastic review of "The Big Gundown." 2.25.

I'd also like to add that it is among the most beautiful soundtracks you will ever hear. Morricone went for a whole new direction with this film, compared to the music he created for the Leone films. Morricone's music, combined with the "Hunt in the Cane Fields" sequence in "The Big Gundown," just has to be seen and heard to be believed. Epic.

Thanks to everyone in the Forum for your reviews and helping me to make the most of my HD investment.
post #21637 of 21648 Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

On my radar
On my radar now as well, but I'll be waiting until it hits $15 or so.

FYI, a great way to track BD price drops is thetracktor.com. Type in any product, see its lifetime price history on Amazon, set email alerts when it drops below a specified threshold. It's revolutionized my buying.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #21638 of 21648 Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^^

Thanks for the heads up on that link to Amazon pricing!!

post #21639 of 21648 Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

All Cheerleaders Die

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

This one from Image does not get released for a couple more weeks. The production quality seems a little rushed with somewhat softer detail for a new film. The day-lit exteriors contain much more impressive clarity and sharpness than the murkier night scenes. It has fairly mundane, average picture quality for 2014. The experience is flat and uninvolving for videophiles.

The transfer by Image has not been filtered and shows no traces of other video processing, including ringing. The cinematography's black levels are indistinct and muddy in the weakest scenes.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 07-11-2014 at 12:51 PM.
post #21640 of 21648 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Revenge of the Nerds

recommendation: Tier 3.75*

The 1984 comedy finally saw the light of day on Blu-ray in May of this year, receiving a decent new edition that exhibits modest improvements in picture quality. Fox did not spend a huge amount of money to restore the movie but has given it a relatively new film scan from untarnished elements. The heavy grain structure is perfectly preserved by a maxed-out AVC video encode.

The main problem with Revenge of the Nerds' picture quality is the flat cinematography and dull definition. That was the intended aesthetic and it is kept intact in this 1080p presentation. Fox has avoided filtering out the grain or adding unnecessary sharpening. Fox did their best not to repurpose an older Hi-Def transfer struck for DVD, which does bring out incremental improvements in fine detail and overall clarity. I believe this is likely the best the comedy classic can look on Blu-ray without drastic changes to the color grading that would fundamentally alter its natural color balance.
post #21641 of 21648 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Jack The Giant Slayer

'Ooooh that looks clear' said my girlfriend as she glanced up from her tablet PC.

And yeah she's right, JTGS is a very clear looking disc! From beginning to end this was a majestic presentation with lush colours, perfectly balanced contrast and SUPERB black levels and shadow detail. The image quality rarely dipped, if at all really. Not the best CGI but then I'm kinda putting that aside for my review. If you crave depth and detail and enjoy PQ which free of grain, noise and banding, this disc comes highly recommended.

I have to agree with my Peer, Djoberg, that this is a Tier 0 title.

Tier 0.75
post #21642 of 21648 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^^

Good review Russ!

Since you knew my rating on this, then you also know I quoted another "peer" of ours who only recommended Tier 2. Can you believe that! Unless enough members weigh in with a Tier 0 recommendation, his score is going to bring it down quite a bit. That is, unless Phantom realizes his score has to be skewed and doesn't count it!!

post #21643 of 21648 Old Today, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^^

Good review Russ!

Since you knew my rating on this, then you also know I quoted another "peer" of ours who only recommended Tier 2. Can you believe that! Unless enough members weigh in with a Tier 0 recommendation, his score is going to bring it down quite a bit. That is, unless Phantom realizes his score has to be skewed and doesn't count it!!

Hi Denny

Glad you liked the review. I was debating tier 0 or tier 1 for the first few chapters but the latter ones got even better which confirmed my final placement. I was suprised to see a tier 2 vote, it's amazing how taste differs vastly. I think the only discs I really didn't enjoy as much as others were Hereafter and American Hustle.

Russ
post #21644 of 21648 Old Today, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Blazing Saddles

My first review coming in from my new Vizio M-series. Overall, great facial details, but distance and mid range shots were cloudy. Also, the video was somewhat weird because there were either large white lights or weird reflectors that made people shine the wrong color for the scenery. Slightly too much grain for my liking, but it did look very filmic.

Tier Recommendation: 1.75

post #21645 of 21648 Old Today, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

There is nothing quite like breaking in a new display with Tier 0 discs. I think Warner Bros. did give Blazing Saddles a 4K restoration.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

Wes Anderson's stylish The Grand Budapest Hotel arrives on Blu-ray with very interesting cinematography utilizing a variety of aspect ratios. The bulk of the film is framed at 1.33:1, capturing the elaborate art and production design quite well. It has one of the more varied and interesting color palettes seen in recent cinematic history, changing with the time period and locale.

A rich contrast produces heavy black levels and fully saturated colors in pristine clarity. The picture has outstanding depth and dimension, despite the occasional digital composite inserted into the background. Fox bestows on it a superb video encode at top-notch parameters, unfiltered and unadorned.

If you have seen any of Anderson's recent films, you should know what to expect from The Grand Budapest Hotel's visuals. Many of the director's signature motifs and tricks can be found once again.
post #21646 of 21648 Old Today, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Will be watching the first Planet of the Apes reboot to get ready for the new one later in theaters!

post #21647 of 21648 Old Today, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlittle View Post
Will be watching the first Planet of the Apes reboot to get ready for the new one later in theaters!
I just watched that a week ago (for the third time) with one of my grandchildren who had not seen it. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see the sequel.

PQ-wise it was very good, but not reference. If you care to see my review here's the link:

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion

post #21648 of 21648 Old Today, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

300: Rise of an Empire (2014)

If you're craving to see a Blu with mesmerizing DETAILS, you can't get much better than this! Whether it's facial details, hair, coats of armor, rocky coasts, ships, etc. the details are simply amazing! Add to that some incredible DEPTH, accurate FLESH TONES, superb CONTRAST, beautiful PRIMARY COLORS (though limited, they really shine against a rather muted background), and insane SHARPNESS/CLARITY in the majority of scenes.

That's not to say it's perfect, for the CGI was soft in some shots and it made splattering blood (which is plentiful!) look fake. Some of the background shots in scenes with a panoramic view looked a tad soft as well.

Man, I'm tempted to assign this to low Tier 0 for its spectacular sharpness and details, but the aforementioned flaws forbid me from doing so. Still, this is a shoe-in for Tier 1, and the top of the heap at that...

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page