Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #21721 of 21729 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Official Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings: The PQ Tiers (updated through March 27, 2014)

AVS Forum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers are now current through the last post, found at the link above. One can ignore the March 27th date, I haven't figured out how to edit an existing thread's title with the new software. It can always be found as a sticky in the Blu-ray Software sub-forum. We are now very close to 4000 total entries, ranked for best video quality appeal. We could not have gotten to this point without all of the past and present contributors in this thread.

Tier 0 - Blu Tier 1 - Gold Tier 2.0 - Silver Tier 3.0 - Bronze Tier 4.0 - Copper Tier 5.0 - Coal
0 - 1 - 1.25 - 1.5 - 1.75 - 2 - 2.25 - 2.5 - 2.75 - 3 - 3.25 - 3.5 - 3.75 - 4 - 4.5 - 5 -

At the moment the above links are broken with the change in forum software. I'll look for a solution though if anyone knows if anchors still work on this new forum code, contact me.

Going over a few things that aren't explicitly laid out on the main page for newbies, feel free to report a mistake or broken link in the PQ Tiers in this discussion thread. The highest level of video quality, Tier Zero, is absolutely ordered from best to worst. Monsters University remains the #1 ranked disc for the moment. Nothing in the Tiers is immutable, an entry can still be changed by community input or a re-evaluation in each update. I do not foresee the next update happening until October or November.

As I mentioned a few days ago, no one needs to use the Google spreadsheet entry form anymore. It will be kept open but there is no need to enter your own scores if you don't have the time. All scores posted in this discussion thread will get counted like always. I would like to thank all the regulars that used it but the form never gained the traction needed to make it worthwhile. It will now be an internal accounting system for the Tiers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21722 of 21729 Old Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 121
^^^^^^^

Thanks again Phantom for the countless hours you spend keeping this thread updated. I believe few, including me, have any idea the work that is involved.

I watched Noah last night but I plan to go over a few scenes again before writing up a review. I was thoroughly impressed with the details and depth displayed from beginning to end. But there were a a couple of scenes at night (most notably the scene where Noah goes looking for wives for his two youngest sons) and then some shots in the Ark during the flood where the black levels didn't seem to be reference quality.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21723 of 21729 Old Today, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Not sure if I can make recommendations as I honestly don't know enough to properly judge. That being said I see that Dragon Hunters made it to Tier 0 and that is one of my favourites with what I thought was excellent PQ. Another I would love to see is The Secret of Kells. Not only is the story astounding (once you get into it) but the "animation" is absolutely gorgeous and well worth reviewing.
post #21724 of 21729 Old Today, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I watched Noah last night and I agree with what djoberg said.

I would put it in Tier 0 near the middle.

The biggest thing I can say about it is textures Textures TEXTURES! Every single piece of homemade, handspun (or was made to look this way) clothing was absolutely mind-bogglingly clear. Like individual threads clear. And facial pores? EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The only issue with the disc is occasional black levels, and even then, the rest of the film just looks so darn good.

I definitely recommend a rental on this one, just for the PQ and AQ (some nice deep booms and swishes as the floods come in).

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #21725 of 21729 Old Today, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Noah

I haven't got time to revisit the movie, so after seeing fredxr2d2's review (where he confirmed what I saw in some of the black levels) I think I'm ready to commit to a recommendation. I really have nothing to add to the former reviews, for the DETAILS and TEXTURES were phenomenal, not only on facial close-ups and clothing, but in landscapes and in the *Watchers*. The color palette was quite dull, but I loved it every time they showed Adam and Eve, the serpent, and the apple....amazing colors, clarity, and details!!

The black levels simply were not the best I've seen, especially for a Tier Blu title, but I'm willing to overlook the few instances where they faltered...to a degree. If they had been reference quality I would be tempted to assign this to the middle of Tier 0, but I'm forced to drop it down a quarter of a tier....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.75)

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21726 of 21729 Old Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I meant to add a comment about the movie itself. Being a lover of the Bible, I found this movie, which is *supposed* to be based on the Biblical account of Noah and the flood, to be a travesty. It misrepresents the scriptures on so many levels that it's ridiculous.

Having said that, this IS Hollywood, and they're out to make money, not to retain Biblical accuracy when making a move based on the Bible. So it doesn't surprise me at all that the greatest liberties were taken in order to *entertain* the masses. I knew this before I rented it. I simply wanted to see a reference-quality Blu-ray, in spite of the gross misrepresentation of the Bible reflected in various characters and events. Some may not be willing to do so, and I would empathize with them in that sentiment and not blame them at all for passing this one by.

post #21727 of 21729 Old Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

There are definitely a couple of scenes inside the Ark where Noah's black levels are sketchy at best. Considering the reference shadow detail and superior delineation in the rest of the film, I didn't really hold that segment against Noah's ranking.

As for the film itself, it's definitely not aimed at religious audiences. Like most Hollywood blockbusters these days, it mostly uses the name recognition of its source material to help sell the movie. It does offer one of Russell Crowe's better performances in recent memory.
post #21728 of 21729 Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My understanding on Noah was that it was a midrash -- that is, a story told about and with the Biblical elements intended to discuss deeper (or different) philosophical or theological concepts. In this case, a discussion on whether or not human beings are worthy to be saved (or that is what I took away from it).

I think, in particular for this film, that some Christian audiences missed some of the point on what is, more or less, a way of telling a Jewish story--using a Jewish method of talking about Scripture. That said, I agree with Stranger and djoberg that the Hollywood aspects of any film often overlay the literary or other source material.

Still, PQ on Noah is very good and I think worth a watch for that alone, though I personally wouldn't buy it and probably don't plan on re-watching it anytime soon.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #21729 of 21729 Old Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Noah does have a beautifully designed sequence retelling the creation story from Genesis, though I felt it a little out of place in the middle of the narrative.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page