The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 727 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21781 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Transcendence

I found this movie and bluray to be forgettable on all levels. Aside from maybe one or two interesting shots there is nothing all that visually compelling here.

By today's standards the PQ overall is average at best. Shot on film rather than digital, the subtle yet always present level of film grain provided a pleasant overall feel. Generally speaking the majority of shots showed good clarity and sharpness but there was also plenty of softness in some shots, particularly darker scenes. The color pallet was limited but overall tended towards blue. I didn't see any abnormalities with the transfer.

The big problem with this Blu is black crush. The deepest black levels are very good but to fault. Shadow detail is poor and in some dark scenes almost non existent. Dark areas of the screen became an indistinguishable blob of blackness. The movie also was rather dim overall. Brightly lit day scenes looked good but for me this issue was bad enough to be distracting through much of the movie.

I may be ranking it a tad generously here but...

Ranking- 2.75

Viewed on Panasonic 60" ST60 from a distance of 6.5 feet.
wattheF is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21782 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Divergent

Overall this is a good yet inconsistent offering from Lionsgate. I found the movie itself to be entertaining.

Aside from a couple fleeting soft shots, Divergent offers up a picture with very good detail and clarity with almost zero "film grain". There were some nice looking long distance landscape shots. Most closeups are sharp with a satisfying and realistic texture. This was also helped by the overall neutral, however limited, color pallet that lead to natural looking skin tones. Contrast was subtle yet satisfying.

This was the case for most of the outdoor and indoor daylight scenes, which leads me to the negatives. There are two major issues holding back the PQ of this Blu.
Firstly, black levels. They range from mediocre to below average. On all dark scences blacks looked murky and washed out with lost shadow details. This also lead to a picture lacking in depth and punch at times.

The other issue is color banding! It's severe in a few scenes. This is unacceptable in my opinion. I also thought I may have seen some minor artifacting of some kind in a couple dark scenes.

I found these issues to be distracting and they can't be overlooked. They knock what could have been a solid mid tier Tier 1 blu down a notch (at least).
EDIT* I am changing my original ranking of 2.75 and upping it a bit to 2.50. This is based on the fact that although black levels are not good at least shadow details Were retained in most scenes.(In contrast to a recent viewing of Transcendence, which had very deep black levels but at the cost off lost shadow detail). I have decided that if I really had to sacrifice one for the other I would prefer raised black levels with maintained shadow details over black crush.

Ranking- 2.50
wattheF is online now  
post #21783 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I have decided that if I really had to sacrifice one for the other I would prefer raised black levels with maintained shadow details over black crush.
I totally agree on this. My BenQ doesn't have the deepest blacks, so I'd far prefer seeing things in shadows than for everything to be crushed (which just exacerbates the grayish blacks of the projector).

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
fredxr2d2 is offline  
post #21784 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Transcendence

I found this movie and bluray to be forgettable on all levels. Aside from maybe one or two interesting shots there is nothing all that visually compelling here.

By today's standards the PQ overall is average at best. Shot on film rather than digital, the subtle yet always present level of film grain provided a pleasant overall feel. Generally speaking the majority of shots showed good clarity and sharpness but there was also plenty of softness in some shots, particularly darker scenes. The color pallet was limited but overall tended towards blue. I didn't see any abnormalities with the transfer.

The big problem with this Blu is black crush. The deepest black levels are very good but to fault. Shadow detail is poor and in some dark scenes almost non existent. Dark areas of the screen became an indistinguishable blob of blackness. The movie also was rather dim overall. Brightly lit day scenes looked good but for me this issue was bad enough to be distracting through much of the movie.

I may be ranking it a tad generously here but...

Ranking- 2.75

Viewed on Panasonic 60" ST60 from a distance of 6.5 feet.
Whoa! 2.75 seems a bit harsh, but I do concur with you regarding the black crush. I emphasized the same thing in my review. But I also thought (and said) that the daytime, outdoor scenes, which were plentiful, were very good and bordered the two top tiers. I went with a 2.0 rating and Phantom gave it a 1.75. It will be interesting to see what others have to say; that is, if others are inclined to see this movie and then chime in.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
djoberg is online now  
post #21785 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 3,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 80
There were definite issues in several scenes of Transcendence. As I said in my review, it was a visual disappointment for noted cinematographer Wally Pfister's first movie as a director. I thought its best bits were cribbed from The Lawnmower Man.
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #21786 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Whoa! 2.75 seems a bit harsh, but I do concur with you regarding the black crush. I emphasized the same thing in my review. But I also thought (and said) that the daytime, outdoor scenes, which were plentiful, were very good and bordered the two top tiers. I went with a 2.0 rating and Phantom gave it a 1.75. It will be interesting to see what others have to say; that is, if others are inclined to see this movie and then chime in.
You are probably right that I am being a bit harsh. Maybe I am too focused on the negatives and that overwhelmed it's positives for me, but I really just didn't find anything about its PQ excellent or even great. It's top ranking aside from its issues would have been a 1.75. I docked a full point for the aweful black crush. you could say that is a bit harsh but if I am feeling nice it would still be a 2.50.
wattheF is online now  
post #21787 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^^^^^^

I guess you weren't as impressed as I was with the daytime scenes. That's okay, for there will always be a *subjective* nature (based on several factors, including one's display, seating position, distance from display, and even the viewer's own set of EYES) involved in placing these Blu-rays, which will inevitably cause divergent opinions. I have noticed that you are very consistent in your reviews, as well as honest. I respect that and couldn't ask for anything more.

Using the word "divergent" reminds me of how I've been trying, in vain, to rent Divergence at our local video store. They purchased several Blu-rays to rent out, but they have all been gone the three times that I've visited the store.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
djoberg is online now  
post #21788 of 21793 Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wattheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^

I guess you weren't as impressed as I was with the daytime scenes. That's okay, for there will always be a *subjective* nature (based on several factors, including one's display, seating position, distance from display, and even the viewer's own set of EYES) involved in placing these Blu-rays, which will inevitably cause divergent opinions. I have noticed that you are very consistent in your reviews, as well as honest. I respect that and couldn't ask for anything more.

Using the word "divergent" reminds me of how I've been trying, in vain, to rent Divergence at our local video store. They purchased several Blu-rays to rent out, but they have all been gone the three times that I've visited the store.
Thanks. I do try to be consistent and balanced in my reviews. I don't often sugarcoat things in anything I do. Sometimes differences in opinion do come into play though.
wattheF is online now  
post #21789 of 21793 Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
rusky_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What this thread needs is another Need for Speed review ;-)
rusky_g is offline  
post #21790 of 21793 Old Today, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
What this thread needs is another Need for Speed review ;-)
I just rented a copy this afternoon Russ. I'll be watching it later today or sometime tomorrow.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
djoberg is online now  
post #21791 of 21793 Old Today, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
rusky_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I just rented a copy this afternoon Russ. I'll be watching it later today or sometime tomorrow.
Excellent - Kuro will enjoy the blacks and the SVS will enjoy the cars
rusky_g is offline  
post #21792 of 21793 Old Today, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 124
A Serious Man

Just call me a "Johnny-Come-Lately," for I wasn't able to rent this when it came out a few years ago but thanks to a real *friend* (who lent me a copy) I was able to view it this afternoon. I'm an avid fan of anything by the Coen Brothers so I've wanted to see this for a very long time, and especially with the rave reviews this received in the PQ department.

I was a bit letdown with the movie itself, though it was still quite "watchable." But I was not at all disappointed in the PQ department. It was a very CLEAN, SHARP and DETAILED Blu-ray with excellent BLACK LEVELS and SHADOW DETAILS. It currently resides in Tier 0 at approximately .33. It holds up very well for being a few years old, but I would be inclined to drop it a smidgen (due to a less-than-stellar start, where the first 6-7 minutes had well below average PQ) to the following ranking....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (.66)

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
djoberg is online now  
post #21793 of 21793 Old Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
Excellent - Kuro will enjoy the blacks and the SVS will enjoy the cars
Sounds good Russ! I'm pumped to watch it and hope to see it later tonight.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD

Last edited by djoberg; Today at 03:57 PM.
djoberg is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off