post #21841 of 21848 Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Orson Welles' Touch of Evil? Probably not a BD you could rent at the local store. As for newer releases, The Quiet Ones just came out.
The Quiet Ones sounds interesting, even though the majority of *critics* and most moviegoers are slamming it big time. Have you seen it Phantom? You know I like a good horror show and especially one that doesn't rely on gratuitous violence to satisfy, so perhaps this one will work for me.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21842 of 21848 Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
The Quiet Ones sounds interesting, even though the majority of *critics* and most moviegoers are slamming it big time. Have you seen it Phantom? You know I like a good horror show and especially one that doesn't rely on gratuitous violence to satisfy, so perhaps this one will work for me.
Not yet but I plan on seeing it. I have seen The Possession Of Michael King which came out today, it's not for the faint of heart and one of the scariest movies released in some time. It has very good A/V quality, including a soundtrack you'll need to turn down in volume. Some truly disturbing imagery and content in it, however.
post #21843 of 21848 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The Amazing Spider-man 2 3D

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (middle)

Watching this last night was a revelation in how 3D can add to a film. Honestly, the movie itself is very OK, but the 3D effects were quite good. That's not to even start to mention the textures, the little blue veins on Jamie Foxx or the inherent detailed photography. What this didn't suffer from (as opposed to some other recent 3D BD efforts -- I'm looking at Thor: The Dark World and the first The Amazing Spider-man) was darkness due to the addition of the 3D glasses. Every single scene exhibited strong detail and black levels were never or rarely crushed by the additional dimness of the glasses.

Overall there are rare times that I will say that 3D adds to a film -- this is another instance where I think the 3D effects make the film better.

If you want to know, IMO, only these 3 deserve 3D BD:

1. Gravity
2. Avatar
3. The Amazing Spider-man 2

Everything else, so far in my experience, has not been an "addition" to the film, but merely an extra gimmick. That's not to say that certain films don't also look good in 3D (animated titles, STID, and Prometheus being examples), but that overall my enjoyment of the film rarely needs 3D effects.
djoberg likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #21844 of 21848 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^

Thanks for the excellent review! I don't suppose you'd want to give the 2D version a viewing? I would love to hear your impressions on that and what your placement recommendation would be.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #21845 of 21848 Unread Today, 08:59 AM

I'm guessing it would be in a similar position, based upon other reviews I've read.

I'll see if I have time for the 2D version, but, in all honesty, the 3D did actually seem to add to an otherwise mediocre film. I'll definitely chime in if I watch the 2D.

Tim S.

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #21846 of 21848 Unread Today, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I'm guessing it would be in a similar position, based upon other reviews I've read.

I'll see if I have time for the 2D version, but, in all honesty, the 3D did actually seem to add to an otherwise mediocre film. I'll definitely chime in if I watch the 2D.
Many (actually, MOST) professional reviewers will give the 2D version a HIGHER score because of a brighter picture and more vibrant colors, but in this case...maybe not (I say that because of your stellar comments on the 3D version).

post #21847 of 21848 Unread Today, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Djoberg is correct, normally 3-D editions feature less vibrant colors and contrast than their 2-D counterparts. There is a huge loss of depth in the transition as expected.
post #21848 of 21848 Unread Today, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Many (actually, MOST) professional reviewers will give the 2D version a HIGHER score because of a brighter picture and more vibrant colors, but in this case...maybe not (I say that because of your stellar comments on the 3D version).
I know exactly what you mean: i.e. the first The Amazing Spider-man included quite good 2D video quality (from my recollection after seeing it multiple times), but the 3D was overly dark and obscuring--this despite the fact that the film was natively filmed in 3D and looked phenomenal at the cinema using Sony 4K projectors with RealD 3D polarizers and glasses.

This second film was mostly not filmed in 3D and I didn't see it at the cinema but did a blind buy (based on my love for Spidey) and yet it exhibited bright colors and no scenes were noticeably obscured by the added dimness of the 3D glasses. I'm willing to bet that the 2D presentation is as close to flawless as most of the films in Tier 0.

My time this week is taken up by some mundane things, as well as a "bender" on Superman, with watching the original 1978 film last night and planning on watching Richard Donner's cut on Saturday/Sunday following with Superman Returns. It's a nice little trilogy, though PQ is lacking - I'm much less confident placing things in the lower tiers than I am in pointing out strong contenders in the top 2 tiers. If I get any extra time to revisit Amazing Spider-man 2, I'll definitely let everyone know. For the meantime, I'd definitely recommend a rental for PQ alone.

Tim S.

Currently watching on:
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List