Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #22141 of 22159 Old 12-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Speaking of Criterion, their release of Tootsie came out last week. Has anyone watched it yet?

BTW, thanks everyone for your reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22142 of 22159 Old 12-23-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
As 2014 draws to a close, what has been your top PQ disc of the year?
In addition to Ninja 2, a close second would be Lone Survivor or Transformers 4: Age of Extinction.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22143 of 22159 Old 12-23-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
It's not Tier 0 material but The Swimmer received the best film transfer amongst 2014 releases. The grading and scan are perfect, the film looks better today than it likely did in 1968.

AVS's own Blu-ray reviewer, Ralph Potts, came up with this 2014 list:

AVS Forum's Top Blu-rays for 2014

Anyone here seen Sin City: A Dame To Kill For yet? That is one BD I am interested in learning how the PQ turned out.
Thanks for the replies all and also for the link Phantom!

I have to say Need for Speed definitely resonated with me this year! Honourable mention to Robocop 2014 also...
post #22144 of 22159 Old 12-23-2014, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 112
A very interesting discussion between some of today's top cinematographers on their craft. There is discussion of reviewers and how they sometimes confuse cinematography with pretty picture quality.

The cinematographers behind some of the year's most visually striking movies - Roger Deakins (Unbroken), Dion Beebe (Into the Woods), Jeff Cronenweth (Gone Girl), Benoit Delhomme (The Theory of Everything) Matthew Libatique (Noah) and Dick Pope (Mr. Turner) - discuss film vs. digital, how to develop a relationship with a director & high-dynamic-range technologies.
post #22145 of 22159 Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
Thanks for the replies all and also for the link Phantom!

I have to say Need for Speed definitely resonated with me this year! Honourable mention to Robocop 2014 also...
How could I have forgotten about Need for Speed? I had rated that Tier 0 (.5) so yes, that one is right up there with the other three live action movies I had mentioned.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22146 of 22159 Old 12-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Hey Denny!

Yes I really enjoyed NFS! Admittedly I loved the cars too so maybe that sways things a bit ;-)

What are your Christmas plans? Just enjoying a beer at a family friends house who happens to have a very nice dedicated Sony projector room set up....
post #22147 of 22159 Old 12-24-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll wish everyone a big Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! May Santa bring all the Tier 0 Blu-rays your heart desires. I may have caught a peek, some of the presents under the tree look suspiciously like Blu-rays. Something about apes taking over the planet or something...
post #22148 of 22159 Old 12-24-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Russ,

My wife and I are just chilling today, with a nice big, home-cooked meal planned for tonight (with CANDLES!!) and possibly a movie afterwards. Thanksgiving is our BIG HOLIDAY where we get together with our 5 daugthers and their familes for a few days. They go to their in-laws for Christmas.

Happy New Year to all!

Denny
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #22149 of 22159 Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 PM

That sounds excellent Denny! Enjoy

Merry Xmas to you and all the PQ thread regulars, have a safe and enjoyable break!

Special kudos to Phantom for all his hard work!
post #22150 of 22159 Old 12-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Prisoners

Overall it's a thumbs up for this disc, although I prefer letterbox ratio movies to 16:9 ratio, mainly because I think they feel more cinematic.

Sharp, detailed throughout. It's a bleak colour scheme but suiting to the cold, rainswept context. High points were some excellent night shots with deep (ish) blacks spliced with shards of exterior lights. Facial details were decent but not remarkable.

Loved the plot and found the film itself engaging.

Tier 1.75
post #22151 of 22159 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Edge of Tomorrow (Live.Die.Repeat)

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

This Tom Cruise action film didn't have quite the brilliance needed to attain a loftier score. Its solid consistency was a little soft in better detail, lacking the extreme resolution often seen in new blockbusters. The crisp video is a solid Tier One contender, I also considered a higher placement. The subdued contrast and tonality was another factor.

I will throw out that it's one of the best action movies I've recently seen, certainly in 2014.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

I guess I should not have expected as much from a movie starring CGI apes. This is very average picture quality for a movie with this kind of budget. I don't believe Fox did anything wrong in the transfer, a movie blending this much CGI and digital composites will almost always result in relatively soft video. Filtering and other digital tricks were employed to smooth the actual human actors interacting with their simian counterparts.

Much of the film takes place in the dark of night. Black levels aren't terrible but shadow delineation is definitely less than exemplary.
post #22152 of 22159 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

I guess I should not have expected as much from a movie starring CGI apes. This is very average picture quality for a movie with this kind of budget. I don't believe Fox did anything wrong in the transfer, a movie blending this much CGI and digital composites will almost always result in relatively soft video. Filtering and other digital tricks were employed to smooth the actual human actors interacting with their simian counterparts.

Much of the film takes place in the dark of night. Black levels aren't terrible but shadow delineation is definitely less than exemplary.
I'm really surprised at your low score on this one...both djoberg for 2D and myself for 3D put this in Tier 1.25.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
post #22153 of 22159 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I was underwhelmed, especially considering that newer releases have been setting very high standards lately. Some of the movie looked great at times, as high as Tier One.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #22154 of 22159 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^^

We'll have to "agree" to "disagree" on this one Phantom!
fredxr2d2 likes this.

post #22155 of 22159 Old Today, 10:47 AM

Maleficent

Disney delivers yet another spellbinding winner! Exquisite detail, black levels and contrast bound together with top notch shadow detail. Maybe a couple of instances which felt like the image was a touch 'too sharp' but in all honesty this couldn't be anything less than top tier.

Tier 0.65
post #22156 of 22159 Old Today, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FWIW, my wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 4-day retreat. I will be "checking in" to see if some of you are making the most out of the few days left in 2014 (by watching and reviewing Blus ).

post #22157 of 22159 Old Today, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FWIW, my wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 4-day retreat. I will be "checking in" to see if some of you are making the most out of the few days left in 2014 (by watching and reviewing Blus ).

Safe travels, Denny...

Yesterday I ordered Non Stop, Her, Cuban Fury

Sitting next to me to watch are Oculus, Oz The Great and Powerful...the latter I recalled you favoring better than GrG did ;-)
post #22158 of 22159 Old Today, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Russ!

I'll be looking forward to reviews on the titles you mentioned. I almost rented Oculus last week but I hadn't read any reviews on it so I passed on it. Let me know how the movie itself is in addition to the PQ.

post #22159 of 22159 Old Today, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Masters of Sex: Season One

recommendation: Tier 3.25*

I am used to better-looking video from this type of premium cable television show. The information I have found indicates Masters of Sex was filmed on the Sony F65, a very capable digital unit. I got the impression a little noise was intentionally left in the picture, possibly for the more evocative period setting. This is not the pristine, crystal-clear clarity of most television on Blu-ray.

The video itself is soft in detail, which varies based on available lighting in each scene. Masters of Sex has adequate sharpness and decent black levels.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies