The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 742 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 134Likes
post #22231 of 22245 Old 01-25-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 124
The Mule

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

The Mule is another new release with less than impressive visuals, though this time it feels more a result of budget than an intended aesthetic choice. The Australian smuggling caper takes place in 1983, so the softer definition is possibly intentional. Its average clarity is rougher than normal for a production filmed with Arri Alexa cameras. There isn't an abundance of high-end detail and everything lies relatively flat in the scope framing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22232 of 22245 Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia54 View Post
The Royal Tenenbaums - Wes Anderson

La comparaison avec l'édition DVD ne laisse aucune chance à celle-ci tant elle accumulait les problèmes de compression, un rendu des couleurs complètement terne pour un aspect globalement très cru et bien trop vidéo. On oublie tout ça : l'upgrade est parmi les plus impressionnants de la collection pour un titre avec une base DVD aussi "bonne" (en opposition à un upgrade comme The Samurai Trilogy, où l'édition DVD était tout simplement in-regardable). Le rendu des couleurs est splendide, la définition excellente sans jamais fléchir, la compression est invisible, et la copie splendide de bout en bout. Tout juste pourra-t'on remarquer quelques légères vibrations colorimétriques à un moment ou deux.

La piste 5.1, elle, reste timorée, sauf lors des quelques envolées musicales, où elle devient alors plus enveloppante. Le reste du temps, le film n'étant pas vraiment propice à la démonstration de force, le rendu demeure frontal, avec un rendu très clair des dialogues, et une piste très propre (mais on en attend pas moins d'un film de 2001).

Image : 9.5/10
Son : 8.5/10
Film : 9/10

The Royal Tenenbaums

recommendation: Tier 2.0

In practice my ranking is not far off from tenia54's score. I finally caught Criterion's superb edition for The Royal Tenenbaums and felt it landed in the twilight between Tiers 1 and 2. I could just have easily placed my score in 1.5 or 1.75 without much hesitation.

Criterion licensed the 2001 Wes Anderson film from Disney (Buena Vista) for a 2012 Blu-ray release. Most importantly, Criterion struck a new 2K film transfer from the original camera negative under the direct supervision of Wes Anderson. So few movies from the early 2000s have seen such a careful film transfer, The Royal Tenenbaums retains its warm yellow color scheme in this impressive presentation. A very strong AVC video encode at maximum bitrates delivers flawless picture quality.

The 1080P video is an immaculate, perfectly manicured presentation, bursting with fine detail. The rich contrast feels right at home in the densely saturated warm colors, a vivid display of authentic film fidelity. This transfer properly retains the abundant film texture, enhancing the fairly sharp cinematography.

Other than some very light ringing in a couple of shots (check the funeral near the end), it's a brilliant film transfer preserving the movie's high degree of clarity and solid definition.
post #22233 of 22245 Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anybody else feeling surprised/sad that 2014 did not produce anything to beat Monsters University (2013) in PQ?
post #22234 of 22245 Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid23 View Post
Anybody else feeling surprised/sad that 2014 did not produce anything to beat Monsters University (2013) in PQ?
I've been tempted, Get On Up is such a different kind of overwhelming quality than Monsters University that I considered for a moment recommending it as the champ. Sanity then prevailed.

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the exact placements at the very top except my reluctance to place new entries there. Unless there is a near unanimous consensus from several users, I err on the side of caution for the very highest placements.

I've contemplated having a battle royale of the very best in this thread for better, more exacting rankings in Tier Zero (Blu). Something like the top twenty square off and let members here vote on the winners. Is there any interest in that idea as a one-time deal?
post #22235 of 22245 Old 01-27-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi guys

I'm changing my score for Lucy to 1.5 following a second viewing tonight.

I changed my TV setting to Film mode which relaxed the contrast down and offered a much more enjoyable picture.
post #22236 of 22245 Old 01-27-2015, 04:02 PM

The Equalizer

A sterling disc from Sony which offers razor sharp PQ, fantastic blacks and shadow detail, rounded off with excellent dimensionality. I couldn't really find much fault.

I think 2015 will be a great year for the PQ Tiers!

Tier 0.75

Last edited by rusky_g; 01-27-2015 at 04:45 PM.
post #22237 of 22245 Unread 01-27-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
Hi guys

I'm changing my score for Lucy to 1.5 following a second viewing tonight.

I changed my TV setting to Film mode which relaxed the contrast down and offered a much more enjoyable picture.
That's fine, one can always change their score in this thread. Anyone get Gone Girl?
post #22238 of 22245 Unread 01-27-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Hey Ya'll! Been awhile since I've been on. Been dealing with some health issues, but anyway, I figured I would check in.

Nice to see that there are quite a few top notch new releases for me to check out. Can't wait!

Also I did read that Ultra HD BD format has been finalized. I'm still not down with streaming so this is good news for the future (even though I don't plan on upgrading my ST60 anytime soon).

Haven't been able to view too many lately but here is a quick rundown of a few movies I have checked out recently...

How to Train a Dragon 2- Tier 0 (around the middle) -photorealism!

The Edge of Tomorrow- 1.50 -a bit disappointing but the audio was awesome!

Maleficent- Tier 0 (bottom half) -some stunning scenes!

Last edited by wattheF; 01-27-2015 at 06:52 PM.
post #22239 of 22245 Unread 01-27-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I speak for everyone in wishing you a complete recovery from your health issues.

I definitely hope Ultra HD succeeds as a commercial format, picture quality will invariably take a hit if streaming becomes the dominant home video platform. I've gotten so spoiled by the better Blu-rays that watching a movie via streaming is often painful. The supposed HD quality delivered by the various streaming platforms is tough to stomach after one has invested so much into a home theater.
post #22240 of 22245 Unread 01-27-2015, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I've been tempted, Get On Up is such a different kind of overwhelming quality than Monsters University that I considered for a moment recommending it as the champ. Sanity then prevailed.

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the exact placements at the very top except my reluctance to place new entries there. Unless there is a near unanimous consensus from several users, I err on the side of caution for the very highest placements.

I've contemplated having a battle royale of the very best in this thread for better, more exacting rankings in Tier Zero (Blu). Something like the top twenty square off and let members here vote on the winners. Is there any interest in that idea as a one-time deal?
That looks like an interesting idea. I would like to see what title would be king!
post #22241 of 22245 Unread Yesterday, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
^^^^^^^^

wattheF,

Good to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your health issues. We surely do wish you well.

Yes, good news about Ultra HD! I'm also VERY EXCITED about OLED 4K, with LG leading the pack. Their 55" OLED 4K is down to $3500 now and I expect they'll continue to go down. Once there is a 75-85" on the market with a reasonable price, I'm going to buy that for my Home Theater and put my KURO in another room in our basement. There's nothing wrong with the KURO but I've been salivating over an 80" screen for a very long time and with OLED surpassing the plasma in every way I can't go wrong.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22242 of 22245 Unread Yesterday, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I should have mentioned that LG's 55" OLED is NOT 4K, but they do have a 65" OLED 4K selling currently for $9,999 at Amazon. Prices will surely drop significantly in the next year or two and I am hoping the 4k 77" they will be marketing will come down to an affordable price at some point.

Reviews, by Sound & Vision and others, are saying the LG OLED is BY FAR the best flat panel they've ever seen, with blacks that are COMPLETELY black, contrast that is off the charts, and unrivaled colors. Their 4K offerings at the recent CES were praised highly. The only "unknown" with OLED is its longevity. We know plasmas and LEDs have a very long lifespan but how long will an OLED display last? That's the $64,000 question looming on the horizon.

I should mention one more thing. We are hearing a lot these days about HDR....High Dynamic Range, with unbelievable bright displays due to unheard of contrast levels. That too is something I hope the OLED displays will incorporate into their technology, for as great as the LG OLED is in the contrast department, it pales in comparison to those with HDR.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22243 of 22245 Unread Yesterday, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be watching to see how 4K displays handle native 1080P content.
post #22244 of 22245 Unread Today, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid23 View Post
That looks like an interesting idea. I would like to see what title would be king!
Hugo would get my vote for top of Tier 0

The best combination of clarity and beauty that I've seen.
post #22245 of 22245 Unread Today, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
...I've contemplated having a battle royale of the very best in this thread for better, more exacting rankings in Tier Zero (Blu). Something like the top twenty square off and let members here vote on the winners. Is there any interest in that idea as a one-time deal?
Suggest breaking the top-PQ Blu Tier (maybe others) into animated versus camera-shot movies, then. While thread has been PQ-only, I'd prefer distinguishing between (mostly) computer-crafted images and others, even though images can be a blend. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page