The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 745 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes
post #22321 of 22327 Unread Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Big Hero 6

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 top. tippy top. wow.

I think we have a new winner. This easily rivals and IMO beats Monster's University for textures and overall wonderful, saturated, clean, sharp, beautiful images.

I was drawn out of the movie so many times because things just looked so good...I'm going to have to rewatch this to try and pay attention to the plot.

Highly recommended.
I agree that Big Hero 6 is one of the tops. It's a real stunner but I just can't place it over Monsters U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22322 of 22327 Unread Today, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I agree that Big Hero 6 is one of the tops. It's a real stunner but I just can't place it over Monsters U.
I'm wondering right now if I shouldn't watch them back-to-back to see which one would take the cake. I might have a slight preference for Monster's University because of it's framing (just love seeing things fill up my screen--as long as they are OAR), but I would argue that some of the minute textures in Big Hero 6 would surpass those in MU. Although, some argument could be made for Sully's hair being a better technical achievement.

We'll see if I have time for something like that.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM 55s for surrounds.
post #22323 of 22327 Unread Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm wondering right now if I shouldn't watch them back-to-back to see which one would take the cake. I might have a slight preference for Monster's University because of it's framing (just love seeing things fill up my screen--as long as they are OAR), but I would argue that some of the minute textures in Big Hero 6 would surpass those in MU. Although, some argument could be made for Sully's hair being a better technical achievement.

We'll see if I have time for something like that.
I agree with everything you have said. Although I wasn't quite as impressed with BH6 as MU I think I need to pick up BH6 and give it another viewing or two.

I too think the full screen presentation helps make MU look more impressive.

I do think from an animation standpoint the detail and texture of the monsters hair is even more impressive but for me what sets MU apart from every other animated title is the detail they have worked into the backgrounds. IMO these things make MU a bigger achievement from a artistic standpoint even if BH6 may (need to confirm) technically show even better detail.

Last edited by wattheF; Today at 10:21 AM.
post #22324 of 22327 Unread Today, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I agree with everything you have said. Although I wasn't quite as impressed with BH6 as MU I think I need to pick up BH6 and give it another viewing or two.

I too think the full screen presentation helps make MU look more impressive.

I do think from an animation standpoint the detail and texture of the monsters hair is even more impressive but for me what sets MU apart from every other animated title is the detail they have worked into the backgrounds. IMO these things make MU a bigger achievement from a artistic standpoint even if BH6 may technically show even better detail.
The texture in the backgrounds is what really excited me about BH6 - metal on the commuter train tracks, chips in paint, the texture of concrete on sidewalks/curbs.

I think these two need a showdown, IMO. I'll have to find the time...

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM 55s for surrounds.
post #22325 of 22327 Unread Today, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The texture in the backgrounds is what really excited me about BH6 - metal on the commuter train tracks, chips in paint, the texture of concrete on sidewalks/curbs.

I think these two need a showdown, IMO. I'll have to find the time...
Ha! Yes indeed, time for a showdown! Great stuff either way.

Last edited by wattheF; Today at 10:26 AM.
post #22326 of 22327 Unread Today, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I just had to order Big Hero 6 after all the glowing remarks! Amazon has a great, low price if anyone is thinking of buying it.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22327 of 22327 Unread Today, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Big Hero 6 is definitely the disc I expect to be a legitimate contender for the crown. Hopefully I can snag the steelbook edition if I come across it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page