The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 745 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 164Likes
post #22321 of 22344 Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Big Hero 6

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 top. tippy top. wow.

I think we have a new winner. This easily rivals and IMO beats Monster's University for textures and overall wonderful, saturated, clean, sharp, beautiful images.

I was drawn out of the movie so many times because things just looked so good...I'm going to have to rewatch this to try and pay attention to the plot.

Highly recommended.
I agree that Big Hero 6 is one of the tops. It's a real stunner but I just can't place it over Monsters U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22322 of 22344 Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I agree that Big Hero 6 is one of the tops. It's a real stunner but I just can't place it over Monsters U.
I'm wondering right now if I shouldn't watch them back-to-back to see which one would take the cake. I might have a slight preference for Monster's University because of it's framing (just love seeing things fill up my screen--as long as they are OAR), but I would argue that some of the minute textures in Big Hero 6 would surpass those in MU. Although, some argument could be made for Sully's hair being a better technical achievement.

We'll see if I have time for something like that.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM 55s for surrounds.
post #22323 of 22344 Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm wondering right now if I shouldn't watch them back-to-back to see which one would take the cake. I might have a slight preference for Monster's University because of it's framing (just love seeing things fill up my screen--as long as they are OAR), but I would argue that some of the minute textures in Big Hero 6 would surpass those in MU. Although, some argument could be made for Sully's hair being a better technical achievement.

We'll see if I have time for something like that.
I agree with everything you have said. Although I wasn't quite as impressed with BH6 as MU I think I need to pick up BH6 and give it another viewing or two.

I too think the full screen presentation helps make MU look more impressive.

I do think from an animation standpoint the detail and texture of the monsters hair is even more impressive but for me what sets MU apart from every other animated title is the detail they have worked into the backgrounds. IMO these things make MU a bigger achievement from a artistic standpoint even if BH6 may (need to confirm) technically show even better detail.

Last edited by wattheF; 02-25-2015 at 10:21 AM.
post #22324 of 22344 Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I agree with everything you have said. Although I wasn't quite as impressed with BH6 as MU I think I need to pick up BH6 and give it another viewing or two.

I too think the full screen presentation helps make MU look more impressive.

I do think from an animation standpoint the detail and texture of the monsters hair is even more impressive but for me what sets MU apart from every other animated title is the detail they have worked into the backgrounds. IMO these things make MU a bigger achievement from a artistic standpoint even if BH6 may technically show even better detail.
The texture in the backgrounds is what really excited me about BH6 - metal on the commuter train tracks, chips in paint, the texture of concrete on sidewalks/curbs.

I think these two need a showdown, IMO. I'll have to find the time...

Tim S.

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM 55s for surrounds.
post #22325 of 22344 Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The texture in the backgrounds is what really excited me about BH6 - metal on the commuter train tracks, chips in paint, the texture of concrete on sidewalks/curbs.

I think these two need a showdown, IMO. I'll have to find the time...
Ha! Yes indeed, time for a showdown! Great stuff either way.

Last edited by wattheF; 02-25-2015 at 10:26 AM.
post #22326 of 22344 Old 02-25-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I just had to order Big Hero 6 after all the glowing remarks! Amazon has a great, low price if anyone is thinking of buying it.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22327 of 22344 Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Big Hero 6 is definitely the disc I expect to be a legitimate contender for the crown. Hopefully I can snag the steelbook edition if I come across it.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #22328 of 22344 Old 02-28-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Godzilla (2014)

recommendation: Tier 1.5/1.75

First, give me a man in a rubber suit any day of the week over CGI. Secondly, this Blu-ray has stupendous audio quality and an incredible surround mix. I fully understand why some here gave Hollywood's newest Godzilla a Tier 2 placement. The entire final act has issues with its brightness whenever Godzilla is battling another monster. The battles are flat, dim, and have limited clarity- likely a conscious decision to hide the CGI. Black levels aren't crushed in them but it is apparent gamma levels were held down to keep a check on overall brightness.

It's a matter of how much you want to weigh each different setting in Godzilla. Before we actually get Godzilla, the video is fairly high quality and almost certainly in Tier One. It is razor-sharp with strong definition and impeccable clarity. Like many other modern blockbusters, it's not the most detailed 1080P presentation due to careful noise management and post-processing. Around Tier 1.5 sounds about right, there is enough depth and delineation for the first two-thirds of the film to balance that last act, which I would rank in the middle of Tier 2 without much remorse.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 02-28-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #22329 of 22344 Old 02-28-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Deathtrap

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

An adequate, filtered film transfer. Distributed by Warner Archive on a BD-25, the 1982 movie is the epitome of average Blu-ray picture quality. Better color saturation and clarity than DVD but filtering does turn skin fairly waxy in Deathtrap.

Flesh-tones are a little warm. A hint of ringing and aliasing shows up in the first act. This transfer looks like an older telecine taken from something other than the camera negative, I don't believe it was struck with Blu-ray resolution in mind.
post #22330 of 22344 Old 02-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
St. Vincent

Recommendation: Tier 1.0

This is a very good looking Blu that is overall very solid throughout. Facial and other textures show very good detail throughout the film, in both light and dark scenes. All color appears very natural and skintones are for the most part good with the occasional warm push. There is just a hint of grain that stays consistent through the entire film. Black levels are not top notch, but they certainly are not bad.

Overall, this is a very good quality disc that I would have no issue putting in the top quarter of tier 1. I also found it to be an excellent movie, almost a more comedic version of Gran Torino. Bill Murray gives an outstanding performance as usual in a bit of a different role. It was also nice to see Melissa McCarthy not have the usual over-the-top comedic attempt, but giving a good performance with comedic moments mixed in.

post #22331 of 22344 Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Big Hero 6

TIME FOR THE SHOWDOWN!!! BIG HERO 6 vs. MONSTERS UNIVERSITY!!!

In this corner, weighing....Ah, wait a minute, both discs weigh the same, so weight is NOT a factor! So, are there any defining differences to start out with? Well, as it's already been mentioned, Big Hero 6 LOOKS smaller, because the Aspect Ratio is 2.39:1 versus a whopping 1.78:1 Aspect Ratio for Monsters University. But should that even be factored in? I suppose it could make a difference...for SIZE DOES MATTER...but one can always MOVE YOUR CHAIR/COUCH CLOSER for viewing Big Hero 6 and the playing field is, for all practical purposes, made equal!

The real differences lie elsewhere. Where, you ask? I watched snippets from every chapter of Monsters University immediately after watching Big Hero 6 and there were several obvious differences. To "cut to the quick," you have more VIBRANT COLORS and TEXTURES in Monsters University. But are they enough to win? Is there a "Knock Out" victory, or perhaps, at the very least, a "TKO"? No way! Why? Because you had better CLARITY and DEPTH in Big Hero 6. I must confess I've never seen such razor-sharp clarity and 3D pop in an animated title...I was BLOWN AWAY by them!! But again, you just can't match the amazing colors and textures found in Monsters University, so perhaps we have a "draw" in these areas.

As far as DETAILS go, both films are STUNNING. One might argue that Big Hero 6 had more details with its many, sweeping aerials of San Fransokyo, but I give a ton of credit to the geniuses at Pixar for the breathtaking details of the University Campus that graces nearly every scene in Monsters University. Both titles have phenomenal details in buildings, foliage, streets, clothes, etc. How about BLACK LEVELS? Monsters University may have an edge here, simply because there are more scenes that take place at night. I recall one "moonlit" scene that is off the charts with black levels and shadow details. Does one trump the other in the PHOTOREALISM department? I think they're a match there, for both have several scenes that look as close to "live action" as you can get. CONTRAST is another area we could talk about, but I would have to say they are both excellent, though with Big Hero 6 having such brilliant, razor-sharp clarity it may take the honors in this category.

We could go down the "anomaly road" for comparison, but again you would be hard-pressed to find a difference, for they are both FLAWLESS.

If you've been "keeping score" you will see that they both have their STRENGTHS that outdoes the other, but in the end I simply can't raise the arm of one and say, "And the winner is..."
I look forward to hearing from others but right now I'm forced to call it a tie. And yet....in fairness to the "reigning champ," I'm going to suggest keeping it on the TOP until others, who perhaps have more discerning eyes than I, weigh in with stronger opinions and with the willingness to place the "champion belt" on one or the other.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (#2 spot, under Monsters University)

Viewed from 6' using the equipment listed below....

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD

Last edited by djoberg; 02-28-2015 at 09:03 PM.
post #22332 of 22344 Old 02-28-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Great review, Denny. I plan weighing in on Big Hero 6 in the next week or two. Monsters University has such terrific color saturation, the only thing I have seen like it is Toy Story 3.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 03-01-2015 at 07:22 PM.
post #22333 of 22344 Old 03-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That's definitely a Tier 0 review Denny
post #22334 of 22344 Old 03-02-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Fury

Dirt...mud...blood...sweat...tears...grime...pores ...stubble...scars...pocks...metal...foliage...gra ss...and the list goes on!! You will see all of these in all of their High Definition glory, along with razor-sharp clarity and unbelievable depth. Blacks levels were also very good in most scenes, though there were a few instances of crush inside the tank. Having said that, I was mostly impressed with daytime shots inside the tank, for there was enough light to offer generous amounts of facial details and details in other objects as well.

To be fair, the color palette was extremely muted (in keeping with the context of the movie), so there was very little eye candy in that department. But when green grass, trees, and bushes were on display they stood out nicely. There were several battle scenes where smoke filled the whole screen and this obviously offered little in the way of details, clarity, depth, etc. And then there were several shots where softness crept in.

The shots highlighting the virtues mentioned in my first paragraph fell easily into low Tier 0, whereas the negatives in my second paragraph ranged from low Tier 2 to low Tier 3. But out of the 2+ hours running time this probably consisted of 20 minutes tops. If I had purchased this I would place this on my "demo shelf," but not my "reference shelf" (which is reserved solely for Tier Blu material). I'm thinking this earns a place near the top of Tier Gold....

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....
I agree 100% with this review and am glad I searched the thread before writing my own (which would have sounded similar, though not with djoberg's signature style).

Seconded for 1.25.

Tim S.

post #22335 of 22344 Old 03-02-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Great review, Denny. I plan weighing in on Big Hero 6 in the next week or two. Monsters University has such terrific color saturation, the only thing I have seen like it is Toy Story 3.
I look forward to reading your review Phantom. Your mention of the "terrific color saturation" in Monsters University emphasizes how important COLORS are when it comes to animation. It may only be one of many factors to consider, but it is often the virtue that stands out and causes a title to beat out their competitors. Having said that, the colors in Big Hero 6, though not as plentiful as in MU, are still bold and vibrant when on display.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

post #22336 of 22344 Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
That's definitely a Tier 0 review Denny
Thanks Russ! I'm hoping you'll weigh in too on this one. I always admire your honesty; you call it like you see it and that's admirable.

post #22337 of 22344 Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree 100% with this review and am glad I searched the thread before writing my own (which would have sounded similar, though not with djoberg's signature style).

Seconded for 1.25.
I'm glad we're on the same page fredxr2d2! How did you like the movie? I thought it was good...not as good as Saving Private Ryan, but definitely worth a rent, if not a purchase.

post #22338 of 22344 Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I'm glad we're on the same page fredxr2d2! How did you like the movie? I thought it was good...not as good as Saving Private Ryan, but definitely worth a rent, if not a purchase.
I quite enjoyed it and placed it on my Amazon wish list immediately after viewing. If I feel like watching it again soon, then I'll definitely buy it.

Also, the LFE was great, IMO.

Tim S.

post #22339 of 22344 Old 03-02-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I quite enjoyed it and placed it on my Amazon wish list immediately after viewing. If I feel like watching it again soon, then I'll definitely buy it.

Also, the LFE was great, IMO.
I LOVED the LFE too! It gave my SVS sub a good workout...and tested the hangings on my wall!

The only thing I didn't like about Fury was the pervasive language. I do realize that this is "true to life" in the military, so it didn't come as a surprise to me.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

post #22340 of 22344 Unread Yesterday, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr. Nobody

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

Mr. Nobody is a visually impressive film with intricate cinematography. Released last year by Magnolia Pictures, the striking 1080P presentation oozes clarity and fine detail. The Blu-ray transfer has been rendered from the digital intermediate in a solid AVC video encode.

Having inky black levels, a rich contrast and splendid color balance, this is a prime Tier One applicant. The lack of notable flaws aside from a few softer CGI shots possibly means I may be underrating its true PQ Tiers ranking. A few years ago I would have almost certainly wanted Mr. Nobody in Tier Zero. While the cinematography has both depth and dimension, it's less impressive than the best-ranked discs.
post #22341 of 22344 Unread Today, 07:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Godzilla (2014)

recommendation: Tier 1.5/1.75
Secondly, this Blu-ray has stupendous audio quality and an incredible surround mix. .
I certainly enjoyed this audio track for the aggressive use of LFE and surrounds, but the quality of the audio has some significant issues due mainly to the terrible clipping. I am usually not sensitive to this, but it was so blatant in Godzilla on a number of occasions that it became distracting and pulled down the overall experience which is a shame. So I would have to disagree about "stupendous audio quality" as the levels are jacked up so high in places that there is audible clipping. It is by far the worst I have heard as far as this goes as far as movie tracks are concerned. This certainly is not quality audio from a technical (subjective as well from my 3 watches) standpoint.

I would have liked a bit more LFE extension as well, but that for me was a very minor complaint compared to the clipped messed up audio.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; Today at 07:19 PM.
post #22342 of 22344 Unread Today, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I certainly enjoyed this audio track for the aggressive use of LFE and surrounds, but the quality of the audio has some significant issues due mainly to the terrible clipping. I am usually not sensitive to this, but it was so blatant in Godzilla on a number of occasions that it became distracting and pulled down the overall experience which is a shame. So I would have to disagree about "stupendous audio quality" as the levels are jacked up so high in places that there is audible clipping. It is by far the worst I have heard as far as this goes as far as movie tracks are concerned. This certainly is not quality audio from a technical (subjective as well from my 3 watches) standpoint.

I would have liked a bit more LFE extension as well, but that for me was a very minor complaint compared to the clipped messed up audio.
it definitely has clipping i think that's been proven.

i'm more shocked that people think the picture quality is good. it's as murky a presentation of a "dark film" as i've ever seen. especially in 3d but that's another discussion (i've now seen the 2d BD and it isn't horrible but nowhere close to impressive)
post #22343 of 22344 Unread Today, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
it definitely has clipping i think that's been proven.

i'm more shocked that people think the picture quality is good. it's as murky a presentation of a "dark film" as i've ever seen. especially in 3d but that's another discussion (i've now seen the 2d BD and it isn't horrible but nowhere close to impressive)
I agree with you; it's not that impressive!

post #22344 of 22344 Unread Today, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Ernest Hemingway's The Killers (1946) (Region B UK Import)

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Arrow Video utilizes a very strong black-and-white transfer for this noir film, almost certainly from the camera negative. Featuring beautiful vintage cinematography, the contrast and black levels are nearly perfect. Shadow delineation is quite good, the level of visible detail is exemplary for film of this age.

The film elements are in solid shape. A few scratches pop up, but they are the exception and not the rule. A fine AVC video encode handles the excellent grain reproduction without a hitch. This is a film-like transfer that features no serious video processing, other than some very mild sharpening at times.

Definition and clarity are both better than expected, this is not a soft-looking movie by any means.

Amagami SS: Complete Collection

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

This animated show from 2010 looks very typical for recently made anime. Released in November by Sentai Filmworks, their recent Blu-rays have shown more transparent video encodes with less artifacts.

I wouldn't call the video quality extraordinary but it's technically sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page