The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 745 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Software > The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion

Blu-ray Software

wattheF's Avatar wattheF
10:02 AM Liked: 139
post #22321 of 22330
02-25-2015 | Posts: 1,181
Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Big Hero 6

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 top. tippy top. wow.


I think we have a new winner. This easily rivals and IMO beats Monster's University for textures and overall wonderful, saturated, clean, sharp, beautiful images.

I was drawn out of the movie so many times because things just looked so good...I'm going to have to rewatch this to try and pay attention to the plot.

Highly recommended.
I agree that Big Hero 6 is one of the tops. It's a real stunner but I just can't place it over Monsters U.
fredxr2d2's Avatar fredxr2d2
10:10 AM Liked: 55
post #22322 of 22330
02-25-2015 | Posts: 203
Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I agree that Big Hero 6 is one of the tops. It's a real stunner but I just can't place it over Monsters U.
I'm wondering right now if I shouldn't watch them back-to-back to see which one would take the cake. I might have a slight preference for Monster's University because of it's framing (just love seeing things fill up my screen--as long as they are OAR), but I would argue that some of the minute textures in Big Hero 6 would surpass those in MU. Although, some argument could be made for Sully's hair being a better technical achievement.

We'll see if I have time for something like that.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF
10:18 AM Liked: 139
post #22323 of 22330
02-25-2015 | Posts: 1,181
Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I'm wondering right now if I shouldn't watch them back-to-back to see which one would take the cake. I might have a slight preference for Monster's University because of it's framing (just love seeing things fill up my screen--as long as they are OAR), but I would argue that some of the minute textures in Big Hero 6 would surpass those in MU. Although, some argument could be made for Sully's hair being a better technical achievement.

We'll see if I have time for something like that.
I agree with everything you have said. Although I wasn't quite as impressed with BH6 as MU I think I need to pick up BH6 and give it another viewing or two.

I too think the full screen presentation helps make MU look more impressive.

I do think from an animation standpoint the detail and texture of the monsters hair is even more impressive but for me what sets MU apart from every other animated title is the detail they have worked into the backgrounds. IMO these things make MU a bigger achievement from a artistic standpoint even if BH6 may (need to confirm) technically show even better detail.
fredxr2d2's Avatar fredxr2d2
10:21 AM Liked: 55
post #22324 of 22330
02-25-2015 | Posts: 203
Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
I agree with everything you have said. Although I wasn't quite as impressed with BH6 as MU I think I need to pick up BH6 and give it another viewing or two.

I too think the full screen presentation helps make MU look more impressive.

I do think from an animation standpoint the detail and texture of the monsters hair is even more impressive but for me what sets MU apart from every other animated title is the detail they have worked into the backgrounds. IMO these things make MU a bigger achievement from a artistic standpoint even if BH6 may technically show even better detail.
The texture in the backgrounds is what really excited me about BH6 - metal on the commuter train tracks, chips in paint, the texture of concrete on sidewalks/curbs.

I think these two need a showdown, IMO. I'll have to find the time...
wattheF's Avatar wattheF
10:22 AM Liked: 139
post #22325 of 22330
02-25-2015 | Posts: 1,181
Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
The texture in the backgrounds is what really excited me about BH6 - metal on the commuter train tracks, chips in paint, the texture of concrete on sidewalks/curbs.

I think these two need a showdown, IMO. I'll have to find the time...
Ha! Yes indeed, time for a showdown! Great stuff either way.
djoberg's Avatar djoberg
10:45 AM Liked: 185
post #22326 of 22330
02-25-2015 | Posts: 4,121
Joined: Feb 2006
I just had to order Big Hero 6 after all the glowing remarks! Amazon has a great, low price if anyone is thinking of buying it.
Phantom Stranger's Avatar Phantom Stranger
11:00 AM Liked: 130
post #22327 of 22330
02-25-2015 | Posts: 3,406
Joined: Feb 2008
Big Hero 6 is definitely the disc I expect to be a legitimate contender for the crown. Hopefully I can snag the steelbook edition if I come across it.
Phantom Stranger's Avatar Phantom Stranger
11:25 AM Liked: 130
post #22328 of 22330
Today | Posts: 3,406
Joined: Feb 2008
Godzilla (2014)

recommendation: Tier 1.5/1.75

First, give me a man in a rubber suit any day of the week over CGI. Secondly, this Blu-ray has stupendous audio quality and an incredible surround mix. I fully understand why some here gave Hollywood's newest Godzilla a Tier 2 placement. The entire final act has issues with its brightness whenever Godzilla is battling another monster. The battles are flat, dim, and have limited clarity- likely a conscious decision to hide the CGI. Black levels aren't crushed in them but it is apparent gamma levels were held down to keep a check on overall brightness.

It's a matter of how much you want to weigh each different setting in Godzilla. Before we actually get Godzilla, the video is fairly high quality and almost certainly in Tier One. It is razor-sharp with strong definition and impeccable clarity. Like many other modern blockbusters, it's not the most detailed 1080P presentation due to careful noise management and post-processing. Around Tier 1.5 sounds about right, there is enough depth and delineation for the first two-thirds of the film to balance that last act, which I would rank in the middle of Tier 2 without much remorse.
Phantom Stranger's Avatar Phantom Stranger
02:22 PM Liked: 130
post #22329 of 22330
Today | Posts: 3,406
Joined: Feb 2008
Deathtrap

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

An adequate, filtered film transfer. Distributed by Warner Archive on a BD-25, the 1982 movie is the epitome of average Blu-ray picture quality. Better color saturation and clarity than DVD but filtering does turn skin fairly waxy in Deathtrap.

Flesh-tones are a little warm. A hint of ringing and aliasing shows up in the first act. This transfer looks like an older telecine taken from something other than the camera negative, I don't believe it was struck with Blu-ray resolution in mind.
tcramer's Avatar tcramer
03:55 PM Liked: 24
post #22330 of 22330
Today | Posts: 780
Joined: Sep 2008
St. Vincent

Recommendation: Tier 1.0


This is a very good looking Blu that is overall very solid throughout. Facial and other textures show very good detail throughout the film, in both light and dark scenes. All color appears very natural and skintones are for the most part good with the occasional warm push. There is just a hint of grain that stays consistent through the entire film. Black levels are not top notch, but they certainly are not bad.

Overall, this is a very good quality disc that I would have no issue putting in the top quarter of tier 1. I also found it to be an excellent movie, almost a more comedic version of Gran Torino. Bill Murray gives an outstanding performance as usual in a bit of a different role. It was also nice to see Melissa McCarthy not have the usual over-the-top comedic attempt, but giving a good performance with comedic moments mixed in.
Tags: High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Reply Blu-ray Software

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3