The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 751 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 222Likes

post #22501 of 22527 Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Stonehearst Asylum

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

Millennium Entertainment's new release on Blu-ray starring Kate Beckinsale and Ben Kingsley is a solid entrant in Tier Two. Its respectable picture quality has better-than-average detail and a fair amount of sharpness. The brighter scenes exhibit outstanding depth and dimension, faltering only slightly in dimmer shots.

The transfer has been handled without extraneous processing, lacking overt ringing and filtering. The period piece does employ digital composite work for much of its foreboding locale, introducing a slightly digital sheen into the picture. The AVC video encode could have had better parameters, there are some hints of minor banding.
I just looked it up Phantom and decided to Quote it. We were fairly close in our recommendations, and we both focused on the outstanding "details" that were featured. I "almost" went with a 2.0 ranking, so if we're the only ones that weigh in that's where it will end up!

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22502 of 22527 Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
The Imitation Game

This LOOKER most definitely deserves "reference quality status" and my vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.75)

Totally agree with this score, it is a fantastic transfer with superb detail - everything from fibres and fluff on woollen jumpers to markings on the dials of 'Christopher' is shown with impressive clarity. Black levels are spot-on and the overall image quality is incredible.

As a film it comes thoroughly recommended and is a wonderful testament to Turing's work. It is at times exciting, moving and joyous - what more could one want from an evening's entertainment.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Last edited by kiwipeter; 04-28-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Tidy up
post #22503 of 22527 Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 PM

As an aside I went to see the new Avengers film over the weekend and although the film itself was really enjoyable I was very disappointed by the general poor quality of the projected image. It appeared a bit 'flat' and had numerous examples of crushed blacks and poor contrast. Maybe I got unlucky and the projector needed a new bulb or something but it ended up cementing my view that you can't beat a home cinema (preferably with a big screen!) for the sheer 'wow factor'. This thread (and the tier lists) is a fabulous resource and one I hope to participate in on a regular basis.

Peter G.
IT Manager and film lover.

Currently viewing on: Epson 5030UB, 110" 1.0 Gain Screen, LG Blu-ray, Dune HD Smart H1 media player, Sony DTR-2400ES Amp, Sony centre, fronts and rears (updating gear quietly as wife permits!)
post #22504 of 22527 Old 04-28-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeter View Post
As an aside I went to see the new Avengers film over the weekend and although the film itself was really enjoyable I was very disappointed by the general poor quality of the projected image. It appeared a bit 'flat' and had numerous examples of crushed blacks and poor contrast. Maybe I got unlucky and the projector needed a new bulb or something but it ended up cementing my view that you can't beat a home cinema (preferably with a big screen!) for the sheer 'wow factor'. This thread (and the tier lists) is a fabulous resource and one I hope to participate in on a regular basis.
We aim to please. Throw in whatever recommendations you want, it's always good hearing from the perspective of someone with a projection system and large screen.
kiwipeter likes this.
post #22505 of 22527 Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I appreciated your comments above as well as your review on The Imitation Game. Of course I agree 100% with your analysis of that movie and your placement recommendation.

I also want to welcome you to this thread and I look forward to reading more reviews from you.
kiwipeter likes this.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22506 of 22527 Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 PM

Big Hero 6

It is amazing to see how the CGI animated film genre has developed over the past 20 years. From humble beginnings came Pixar's legendary "Toy Story" (in 1995!) and "A Bug's Life" a few years later.

Today we are blessed with animated films of incredible complexity and detail, requiring supercomputer scale hardware for their creation. One such marvel is Disney Animation Studio's "Big Hero 6", their 54th animated film.

And boy this is top-notch stuff and the pinnacle of the animator's art. Every smallest detail is present, the first few minutes alone as the bots battle away in the arena is jaw-dropping (especially on a large screen). Throughout the film, details such as surface marks and scratches, dents and other imperfections are clearly visible and highly intricate. Textures on clothes, walls, skin, and other items are incredibly accurate and breath-taking. Colours pop, contrast is spot-on, black levels are deep and perfect. There are zero image imperfections - this is a true reference quality disc.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (0.0 above 'Monsters University')
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Peter G.

Currently viewing on: Epson 5030UB, 110" 1.0 Gain Screen, LG Blu-ray, Dune HD Smart H1 media player, Sony DTR-2400ES Amp, Sony centre, fronts and rears (updating gear quietly as wife permits!)

Last edited by kiwipeter; 04-28-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Recommended position above MU
post #22507 of 22527 Old 04-28-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Big Hero 6

It is amazing to see how the CGI animated film genre has developed over the past 20 years. From humble beginnings came Pixar's legendary "Toy Story" (in 1995!) and "A Bug's Life" a few years later.

Today we are blessed with animated films of incredible complexity and detail, requiring supercomputer scale hardware for their creation. One such marvel is Disney Animation Studio's "Big Hero 6", their 54th animated film.

And boy this is top-notch stuff and the pinnacle of the animator's art. Every smallest detail is present, the first few minutes alone as the bots battle away in the arena is jaw-dropping (especially on a large screen). Throughout the film, details such as surface marks and scratches, dents and other imperfections are clearly visible and highly intricate. Textures on clothes, walls, skin, and other items are incredibly accurate and breath-taking. Colours pop, contrast is spot-on, black levels are deep and perfect. There are zero image imperfections - this is a true reference quality disc.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (0.0 above 'Monsters University')
Once again I concur with your assessment and your placement! This title is the "cream of the crop" in the animated category and I'm delighted to see another recommendation giving it its proper placement!!

post #22508 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 AM

Paddington

This is a lovely family film (based on the original children's books) and is presented with a very detailed and dynamic image. Paddington himself is a CGI marvel with each strand of fur visible and free from jagged edges (it is just so realistic I was floored). The scenes of London are colourful and texture-rich - from the grimy brickwork of Paddington train station to the various rooms of the Brown family home. The Peruvian jungle scenes are equally as impressive and serve as a fantastic introduction to the film. There are no issues at all with the image quality; black levels are deep and contrast is excellent. It really is as good as it gets.

There is much to admire here, Paddington is a superb reference quality transfer - and comes with my highest recommendation.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (somewhere around Smurfs 2).

Peter G.

Last edited by kiwipeter; 04-29-2015 at 02:37 AM.
post #22509 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Welcom Kiwipeter and thanks for your reviews - I can't wait to see Paddington and will report back with my placement :-)
kiwipeter likes this.
post #22510 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Interstellar tier (0.6)

As mentioned above. Since the 70mm scenes is so damn great it would be a shame having it sub 1.0 ranking.

Tier 0.6 is my vote!
post #22511 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippmaster13 View Post
Tier 0.6 is my vote!
Question re the tier number - I guess the '0' is for Tier 0, does the '.6' mean 6th from the top or a position just beyond half-way down the list. Or something else?

Peter G.

post #22512 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Question re the tier number - I guess the '0' is for Tier 0, does the '.6' mean 6th from the top or a position just beyond half-way down the list. Or something else?
I don't read minds (coming soon!) but the standard nomenclature used in this thread is that 0.6 means the disc is ranked about two-thirds of the way down from the very top of Tier 0 (Blu). So 0.5 would mean a disc ranked in the middle of Tier 0.
kiwipeter likes this.
post #22513 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 PM

The Book of Life 2D (2014)

Based (a little cheekily) around Mexico's dia de Muertos ("the Day of the Dead"), this animated film offers an incredible-looking and mesmerising presentation. Taking the form of a pop-up book, it is an eclectic, delirious and wonderfully created world full of some amazing characters, scenery and a wealth of imagined genius.

Once the film moves into the main story, we are greeted with a multitude of bright, gorgeous, vivid colours and a unique animation style. The foreground (and background) are full of weird and wonderful shapes (for example, check out the hilarious inhabitants of the "Land of the Remembered") whilst some characters and other items are modelled from wood, with close-ups that show detail such as "tree-rings" and other wood-type nuances. Other textures are equally as impressive too and offer pin-sharp detail and definition. The various background imagery has an almost three dimensional appearance and is highly detailed and intricate and shows deep and solid black levels (whilst at the same time some impressive shadow detail). Colours are very vibrant and used well in the different 'worlds' of the film - this disc will bring out the best of your display. Great demo material here folks!

I heartily recommend this film - it offers up a great story, top-notch animation and fantastic imagery.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (0.1)

Peter G.

Last edited by kiwipeter; 04-29-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #22514 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

I gave the first two outings a Tier 0 (.75) rating; this won deserves a spike of at least a quarter of a tier....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.5)

Viewed from 6.5' using the equipment listed below....

Totally agree with the above, a mighty fine release and worthy of a mid Tier 0 position.
djoberg likes this.

Peter G.

post #22515 of 22527 Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I heartily recommend this film - it offers up a great story, top-notch animation and fantastic imagery.

I've been meaning to watch this movie at some point, it looks like fantastic demo material.
post #22516 of 22527 Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 PM

Liked: 12
Where would you rank Tora Tora Tora on the tiers?
post #22517 of 22527 Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM

King Kong (Extended Edition, 2005)

Get a large spill-proof travel mug of coffee ready - you'll need it as you sit through the 3 hour rollercoaster ride that is King Kong. Full of twists and turns, ups and downs, this journey begins a little slowly (with no primate in sight) but gets far more exciting once our heroic party land on the foreboding Skull Island. From there they find themselves knee-deep in drama; everything from hostile natives, leggy creepy-crawlies, hungry carnivorous fish and of course, the famous ape (with a few dinosaurs thrown in for good measure).

The visuals are superb and yet again NZ's Weta Workshop have created a realistic world full of the most intricate detail. From the bright lights of New York's theatre-land to the dark caves of Skull Island, this disc offers a sharp, detailed image with seemingly endless black levels along with great shadow detail and contrast . Colours are vibrant and accurate, never washed or dull and there is a huge sense of depth to the image. For the CGI, we are treated with some amazing creations; just look at Kong's facial expressions (it's all in the eyes, folks) and the sheer amount of work gone into his hair. Every strand is visible, as is every skin crease and fold. Human skin tones are spot-on and surface detail is outstanding.

This title ranks as one of the very best on Blu-ray, and so gets my highest recommendation.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 (0.5)

Peter G.

post #22518 of 22527 Old 04-30-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Where would you rank Tora Tora Tora on the tiers?
I haven't seen that movie on Blu-ray. Hopefully someone else can chime in on its video quality.
post #22519 of 22527 Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 PM

Out of the following, where would Interstellar rank?

Wall-E Tier 0 - Blu
Lawrence of Arabia Tier 0 - Blu
Patton Tier 0 - Blu
The Dark Knight Tier 1.25 - Gold
post #22520 of 22527 Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't done the tally yet on Interstellar but I can give my opinion. I think it clearly should rank below Wall-E, I don't think you'll find many arguing Interstellar looks better the Pixar movie. The other easy choice from your list is The Dark Knight. Interstellar looks far better than The Dark Knight to my eyes. The Dark Knight might even be ranked a little high, I don't remember the scores off-hand that got it Tier 1.25.

The other two films are a more subjective comparison. Interstellar will have an official placement in the next update.
post #22521 of 22527 Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:

Based (a little cheekily) around Mexico's dia de Muertos ("the Day of the Dead"), this animated film offers an incredible-looking and mesmerising presentation. Taking the form of a pop-up book, it is an eclectic, delirious and wonderfully created world full of some amazing characters, scenery and a wealth of imagined genius.

Once the film moves into the main story, we are greeted with a multitude of bright, gorgeous, vivid colours and a unique animation style. The foreground (and background) are full of weird and wonderful shapes (for example, check out the hilarious inhabitants of the "Land of the Remembered") whilst some characters and other items are modelled from wood, with close-ups that show detail such as "tree-rings" and other wood-type nuances. Other textures are equally as impressive too and offer pin-sharp detail and definition. The various background imagery has an almost three dimensional appearance and is highly detailed and intricate and shows deep and solid black levels (whilst at the same time some impressive shadow detail). Colours are very vibrant and used well in the different 'worlds' of the film - this disc will bring out the best of your display. Great demo material here folks!

Agreed! I was considerably more impressed with the PQ of this film vs Big Hero 6 as I watched them both within a few days of each other.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #22522 of 22527 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Agreed! I was considerably more impressed with the PQ of this film vs Big Hero 6 as I watched them both within a few days of each other.
Hey Toe,

If you are agreeing with him (as you said you did), then you should notice that he ranked it at Tier 0 (.1), which is not even close to the top of Tier 0 (it would be quite a few titles below the top...at the 1/10th spot). And then you should notice that earlier this week he ranked Big Hero 6 at the very top!! So do you still agree with him?!

post #22523 of 22527 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Hey Toe,

If you are agreeing with him (as you said you did), then you should notice that he ranked it at Tier 0 (.1), which is not even close to the top of Tier 0 (it would be quite a few titles below the top...at the 1/10th spot). And then you should notice that earlier this week he ranked Big Hero 6 at the very top!! So do you still agree with him?!

My mistake djoberg and thanks for clearing that up! I misread what he was saying and no I don't agree with his placement of the two titles in question in that case as I don't feel BH6 belongs at the top as we have already talked about.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #22524 of 22527 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Blood Lad: The Complete Series

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

WB distributes this anime for Viz Media in North America. Blood Lad's eleven episodes are spread over two BD-50s. The AVC video encode is quite effective at transparently replicating the 1080P animation. It's a high-bitrate affair that takes full advantage of the favorable space ratio. Like most anime of this type, the video is presented in its native 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

This is bright, punchy animation with striking colors. Character designs have better than average detail and the line-art is surprisingly crisp for a series of this nature that was originally intended for television. I don't know if they consciously select content for its hi-def appeal but most of Viz Media's Blu-ray releases look really nice.
post #22525 of 22527 Old Today, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I haven't done the tally yet on Interstellar but I can give my opinion. I think it clearly should rank below Wall-E, I don't think you'll find many arguing Interstellar looks better the Pixar movie. The other easy choice from your list is The Dark Knight. Interstellar looks far better than The Dark Knight to my eyes. The Dark Knight might even be ranked a little high, I don't remember the scores off-hand that got it Tier 1.25.

The other two films are a more subjective comparison. Interstellar will have an official placement in the next update.
TDK used to be one of my 'go to' demo discs, it was very good for the time. But the game has moved on since and when I last watched it, it hit home how much more spoilt we are with the most recent releases!
post #22526 of 22527 Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
TDK used to be one of my 'go to' demo discs, it was very good for the time. But the game has moved on since and when I last watched it, it hit home how much more spoilt we are with the most recent releases!
I would agree, overall picture quality has improved from better practices on home video and the 4K production chain that is starting to take over Hollywood.
post #22527 of 22527 Old Today, 06:47 PM

Where would you rank The Dark Knight now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies