The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 752 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 223Likes

post #22531 of 22533 Old Today, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
While this release is a little old and isn't a true "movie", I want to throw out "Shut up and just play the hits" the farewell concert video for LCD Soundsystem.
I sitting here watching it on my Samsung F9000 and the clarity of the picture is just incredible for live footage and it makes for a great contrast and shadow detail torture test as well. The band members are dressed in either all white or all black and are often in the same frame together, James Murphy (lead singer) in a black suit with white shirt, plus the sharp gradient from lit to unlit area's of the stage and crowd. All of this dark and shadow yet the blacks don't look crushed at all and you can still see fabric patterns in the clothing.

I would give it a score of between 1.5 and 1.25 gold.

And being a concert film, it gives the speakers a nice work out

http://www.amazon.com/Shut-Up-Play-H...+play+the+hits
Phantom Stranger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22532 of 22533 Old Today, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Similar to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises?
You can find old comments of mine in this thread on specific movies searching on the movie's name and "phantom" most of the time. One should remember the Dark Knight review below was published when George W. Bush was still President. I don't necessarily agree with their current placements in the PQ Tiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Bottom quarter of Tier 2 or high Tier 3 sounds right for Batman Begins. It's simply an inferior transfer and encode by Warner. The Batman Begins BD demo disc looks better of the same material. What's the date on the video encode from the HD DVD? I believe it's around two years old and simply doesn't hold up to recent Blu-ray releases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
The Dark Knight

tier recommendation: third quarter of Tier 1

The most anticipated Blu-ray release of all-time, Warner Bros. Pictures has released this Christopher Nolan helmed movie today in a very good looking release that does have some minor problems. The 152-minute main feature is encoded in VC-1 on a BD-50. The average video bitrate is 24.00 Mbps, derived from a BDInfo computer scan (scan courtesy of forum member House linked below). This Blu-ray represents the best compression work I have ever seen from a Warner title, with absolutely no macroblocking or banding or compression noise throughout the movie. It is simply an excellent video encode that appears transparent to the source HD master. There are regular peaks in the forties for the video encode with no bitrate starvation, even in the darker lit scenes. I am very grateful that Warner decided to place the bulk of extras on a second disc to give the video encode of this long movie breathing room.

For the most part the changing aspect ratio for the IMAX portions appears seamless to the viewer. The source master looks in very good shape in terms of dirt or specks. There are no noticeable anomalies on the image, even during the special effect sequences. Unfortunately I did notice the application of intrusive edge enhancement haloes at times. A few scenes appear severely over-sharpened and if anything, look worse in motion on my display than from the screen caps seen here in other threads. This is the only negative of this transfer but it is definitely present and visible. I would imagine even an untrained eye would notice it on larger screens. It did not ruin my enjoyment of this movie’s picture quality but it is disappointing. Outside of the sharpening the transfer appears very film-like with no apparent tinkering. Grain structure appears normal and fluid with no strange motion artifacts.

The color black is rendered superbly, with excellent gray-scale and a deep inky quality to the darker lit scenes. There is a great shot later in the movie with the Joker’s face surrounded by pitch blackness. Shadow detail and depth reveal a fantastic amount of low light information like the Batman’s suit in all its glory. In fact I would rate the black levels here as among the best the Blu-ray format has to offer.

This film presents incredible cinematography throughout that really brings Gotham to life. Contrast is solid with slightly muted colors that tend toward cooler tones. I did find the flesh tones a little overcooked in a few indoor scenes but this is a minor quibble. Close-ups reveal very fine detail, though this does not appear to have the razor sharp appearance that higher ranked tier titles possess. The image has a nice consistent depth to it but no one will confuse this with a Michael Bay directed movie with loads of three dimensional pop. It is obvious the film was carefully shot, with the frame of the image being composed with a greater overall coherence and purpose than any other blockbuster I have ever witnessed.

Overall I was very happy with this Blu-ray's image quality outside of the dreaded edge enhancement. I would be recommending a higher tier placement without it frankly, but it is there and does slightly distract from the final image quality and assessment. I am recommending this BD be placed in the third quarter of tier one.

Watching on a calibrated 60” Pioneer Kuro plasma at 1080P/24 from a PS3 (firmware 2.53) at an approximate viewing distance of six feet.

BDInfo Scan:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15119577
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Wrigley View Post
While this release is a little old and isn't a true "movie", I want to throw out "Shut up and just play the hits" the farewell concert video for LCD Soundsystem.

I would give it a score of between 1.5 and 1.25 gold.

And being a concert film, it gives the speakers a nice work out

http://www.amazon.com/Shut-Up-Play-H...+play+the+hits
Welcome to the thread! Content of all kinds fits into the PQ Tiers, feel free to review concert material. I've seen concerts on Blu-ray that look very good and some that look terrible.
post #22533 of 22533 Old Today, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Toy Story of Terror!

recommendation: Tier 0* (below Toy Story 2)

Disney gives the 21-minute television special its own Blu-ray release. They didn't skimp despite its brevity, Toy Story of Terror! arrives on a BD-50. Originally broadcast on ABC, the special shows darker lighting than what we've come to expect from the Toy Story franchise. That drops it below the fantastic demo quality of Toy Story 3, still one of the Tier's highest ranked BDs. The slightly lower quality of animation drops it into the top third of Tier 0, somewhere below Toy Story 2.

The 1080P video has been encoded in AVC at stellar bitrates with complete compression fidelity. There are no technical issues concerning the Blu-ray presentation, this is an artifact-free experience with highly polished animation. While falling short of Toy Story 3's demo brilliance, this special is still an impressive display of Pixar's prowess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies