The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 754 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 233Likes
post #22591 of 22602 Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Sorry, I probably won't be commenting about American Sniper on Blu-ray anytime soon. I have many other things ahead of it at the moment in my personal queue.

Late Phases: Night of the Lone Wolf

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

Late Phases is a low-budget independent film. It does use newer digital video for suitably decent picture quality, though there are a couple of issues. Some banding and minor chroma noise leak into the video encode. More concerning are the focal issues inherent to the digital cinematography. The sharp video over-uses bokeh, causing more softness than is necessary outside of the focal spot. It looks a bit out of place at times.

Clarity and definition are good enough for Tier One but its issues drag the rating down to Tier Two.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (updated through May 25th, 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22592 of 22602 Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Birdman of Alcatraz

recommendation: Tier 3.75*

The 1962 film was released as a limited edition by Twilight Time. They've licensed the HD master from MGM, Birdman's owner. This is a passable film transfer with decent enough definition. The black-and-white film isn't incredibly sharp. The contrast is strong enough. Some minor fluctuations in luminosity occasionally affect it.

This is not 1080P video loaded with an abundance of fine detail. The 1.66:1 presentation is mostly film-like with unaltered grain. Some thin halos are fairly prominent in specific parts of the film. The telecine transfer does not look to have been filtered, though it may very well be a few years older than better film scans. Twilight Time has encoded it in AVC on a BD-50. Aside from a few scattered examples of noise, the encode replicates the grain structure without much problem.

I was mostly satisfied by this Blu-ray presentation. It's not a 4K scan from restored elements but certainly shows improvements in clarity and definition over DVD. The print doesn't have damage to it. Black levels are okay but do not expect inky perfection in them.

Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

The interlaced 1080i video is slightly softer than we've come to expect from modern digital video. You can tell this concert went the extra mile to make sure the video footage would look very good. The stage has perfect lighting and excellent camera work.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 05-24-2015 at 06:29 PM.
post #22593 of 22602 Old 05-23-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Penguins of Madagascar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Penguins of Madagascar

Tier 0

While not the top of the tier, I think this one falls into the middle of the animated titles pack. It was clear and wonderful looking, but didn't have any truly outstanding moments like Monster's University and the like.

I recommend a rental at least as it was a more entertaining film (IMO) than any of the other Madagascar films. But I preferred the Penguins in those movies as well.
I agree with my colleague that this isn't going to dethrone any of the top Tier Blu titles, but I have to say it was still a stellar viewing. Regarding not having "any truly outstanding moments," there are a few scenes that had my jaw on the floor. A case in point would be at about the 45 minute mark where the penguins are in a life raft out at sea; the DEPTH is simply amazing, along with mesmerizing COLORS and exquisite DETAILS. I'm not exactly sure where "the middle of the animated pack is" (that's where fred was assigning it), but IMHO it should go right about here....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (Right below Despicable Me 2)

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22594 of 22602 Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

So the KURO is back in action at tip-top shape? The Madagascar films have brilliant color saturation.

post #22595 of 22602 Old 05-24-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the KURO is back in true form and still creating AWE when viewing good source material. I might have been guilty of taking its exceptional PQ for granted, but after watching two small LCD/LED screens for over two weeks I am once again appreciating the "natural" picture that a plasma gives you.

I concur with you about the Madagascar films. They have beautiful, saturated colors. This last outing doesn't compare to Madagascar 3 in that category, but it has its moments!

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22596 of 22602 Old 05-24-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

In honor of Memorial Day, the Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers have been updated by myself. This time there were nearly 150 scores since January, including many new faces that I hope come back.

The update reflects all entries through May 24, 2015.

As always, any member may contact me directly for corrections or a missing score via private message or visitor message on my profile page. If there is a mistake or missing entry of yours, feel free to contact me.

I have also fixed the problem with all the Tier buttons like the ones I've made below, so jumping around on the page is as simple as clicking on any Tier number once again!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...a.html#anchor0

Tier 0 - Blu Tier 1 - Gold Tier 2.0 - Silver Tier 3.0 - Bronze Tier 4.0 - Copper Tier 5.0 - Coal
0 - 1 - 1.25 - 1.5 - 1.75 - 2 - 2.25 - 2.5 - 2.75 - 3 - 3.25 - 3.5 - 3.75 - 4 - 4.5 - 5 -

post #22597 of 22602 Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I notice Godzilla (2014) has received a promotion. Why?
post #22598 of 22602 Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
In honor of Memorial Day, the Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers have been updated by myself. This time there were nearly 150 scores since January, including many new faces that I hope come back.

The update reflects all entries through May 24, 2015.

As always, any member may contact me directly for corrections or a missing score via private message or visitor message on my profile page. If there is a mistake or missing entry of yours, feel free to contact me.

I have also fixed the problem with all the Tier buttons like the ones I've made below, so jumping around on the page is as simple as clicking on any Tier number once again!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...a.html#anchor0

Tier 0 - Blu Tier 1 - Gold Tier 2.0 - Silver Tier 3.0 - Bronze Tier 4.0 - Copper Tier 5.0 - Coal
0 - 1 - 1.25 - 1.5 - 1.75 - 2 - 2.25 - 2.5 - 2.75 - 3 - 3.25 - 3.5 - 3.75 - 4 - 4.5 - 5 -
Thanks Phantom! We appreciate your hard work and dedication!

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
post #22599 of 22602 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
I notice Godzilla (2014) has received a promotion. Why?
There were several new qualified scores in this thread for Godzilla since the time of the last update, which improved its ranking. The PQ Tiers always reflect the summary of all scores from this thread. Some older ranked discs can move up or down if the new scores substantially change things.

I would love more feedback on the top BDs in Tier Blu. Consider Big Hero 6 and Monsters University as co-champions, there was a split decision favoring the new contender. We probably need more opinions on Paddington and a couple of others.

bb nf Big Hero 6 Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf Monsters University Video: AVC | Audio: 7.1 Dolby TrueHD | AR: 1.78:1 | Disney
bb nf Rio 2 Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Fox
bb nf The Smurfs 2 Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Sony
bb nf Toy Story 3 Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 1.85:1 | Disney
bb nf Paddington Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Starz / Anchor Bay
bb nf Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD 7.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | DreamWorks
bb nf The Croods Video: AVC | Audio: 7.1 DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | DreamWorks
bb nf Legend Of The Guardians: Owls Of Ga'Hoole Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Warner
bb nf A Christmas Carol (2009) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf Turbo Video: AVC | Audio: 7.1 DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | DreamWorks
bb nf Black Sails: The Complete First Season Video: AVC | Audio: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Starz / Anchor Bay
bb nf A Bug's Life Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Disney
bb nf Avatar Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Fox
bb nf Life Of Pi Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Fox

post #22600 of 22602 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Thanks Phantom! We appreciate your hard work and dedication!
+1 Thank you sir!
post #22601 of 22602 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel compelled to clarify something I said in earlier posts recently. I had commented on how my plasma gives me a much better viewing experience than the LCD or LED I own. If I offended anyone who owns an LCD/LED I am truly sorry, for I never meant to. I do believe LCD/LEDs have come a long way in PQ, but they still have the "off-axis" viewing limitations, and many of them do not offer the black levels that you get in a plasma (though some LEDs with Full Array Local Dimming look excellent). After owning a plasma for going on 7 years I'm so accustomed to that technology's benefits that I tend to come across as too critical of the LCD/LED displays.

So, has anyone out there seen American Sniper yet?

Last edited by djoberg; Yesterday at 08:34 PM.
post #22602 of 22602 Unread Today, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey guys will be moving out my current house next week and into my new house 22nd June, upon which my reviews will commence!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page