The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 755 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 239Likes

post #22621 of 22623 Old Today, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnfout View Post
Whats the effect called when it looks like a person is giving off a small heatwave? Like what you see when looking just above a lit candle?

We just watched Two days, One night, and I noticed that effect quite a few times (also on a lot of other BD's)
Chroma banding? A halo effect is created by sharpening but I've never seen it bad enough where it's coming off in waves.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (updated through May 25th, 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22622 of 22623 Old Today, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The Andy Griffith Show: Season One

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

Gone are the days of faded syndicated prints, which is how I grew up with The Andy Griffith Show. Season one debuted in 1960. While this isn't the best, most drop-dead gorgeous classic television release I've seen on Blu-ray, CBS/Paramount has done a very respectable job with this restoration. Preserving the show's original 1.33:1 broadcast ratio, the clean and crisp monochrome cinematography has excellent definition and sharpness in 1080P resolution. The entire season is spread over four BD-50s in an adequate AVC video encode without obvious artifacts.

The show has been mastered from the camera negative and lightly filtered. Some manual dirt removal has also been used to clean the elements up. A few stray bits of film damage survive but this is generally a very healthy-looking print for most episodes. A solid amount of fine detail has been left intact with a very moderate grain structure. Some run screaming for the hills with those words but the video looks fairly naturalistic and appropriate for its era.

Scenes filmed on the studio sets have vivid clarity. They are razor-sharp and have perfect contrast. Shadow delineation is superb, backed by fundamentally sound black levels. The minimal filtering pass leaves most high-frequency content intact, from facial details to the occasional exterior shot.

I am pretty happy with how this HD transfer has turned out and I think most fans will enjoy its strong definition over DVD.

post #22623 of 22623 Old Today, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Barquero

recommendation: Tier 3.25*

I was very ready to give this Kino Lorber BD starring Lee Van Cleef a solid Tier Two recommendation...until the last thirty minutes of the final act. Licensed from MGM, Kino Lorber utilizes an older film transfer that looks very fine considering it was struck from secondary elements. The main feature runs 109 minutes on a BD-25. The AVC video encode is okay, occasionally displaying minor macroblocking in the scenes with heavier grain.

The primary problem that drops Barquero's video quality into Tier Three are exposure issues in the final act, crushing black levels in noise and destroying shadow delineation. It's somewhat of a shame that these twenty minutes look so poor, as the rest of the film transfer is rather impressive considering its origins. The color saturation is wonderful and the 1080P video has a filmic presentation. If anything, the secondary elements exaggerate the native grain structure from what we'd see of Barquero if this master had been taken from the camera negative. The transfer is slightly soft, though unfiltered without significant digital processing.

I would have loved to seen Arrow Video snag this MGM film and give it a new film transfer from the negative. Kino Lorber's BD has quite respectable video quality for the Western but is not a revelation. I still enjoyed the film transfer a great deal aside from the problematic twenty minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page