The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 757 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 251Likes

post #22681 of 22684 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 215
^^^^^^^

You're right Russ, but we DO have a ranking system and if a disc is given a very specific score (in this case, .75), then that's where it should go. Remember, this was placed BEFORE you weighed in. Now it could possibly go at the bottom of Tier Blu the next time Phantom does an update.

My main concern is that we have others wanting to participate and when they see that their scores may not be counted as they should, they will be discouraged and not want to participate in this thread. If you were reading this thread a month or so ago we had a member named "Toe" complaining that his vote wasn't even counted. His case was different than the one I'm calling our attention to, because in that case you had numerous people voting for a disc to be placed at the top of Tier Blu and Toe was the only vote for a much lower placement in Tier Blu. But it still illustrates that people want their vote to count.

I want to emphasize that I truly appreciate Phantom's work in this thread. Without him there would be no thread! But I want to "call a spade a spade" when it is called for, so I believe he needs to place a disc EXACTLY where it is recommended in a case like this...where every poster that weighed in gave it the EXACT SAME placement.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Roku XD

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD

Last edited by djoberg; Today at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22682 of 22684 Old Today, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 165
All votes have always been included and always will. Tier 0 gets a little slippery because the database software wasn't really constructed with it in mind. I am always up to fixing mistakes in the Tiers.

Enjoy the fireworks on this 4th of July!

I Origins

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

This came out last year from Fox. The presentation feels completely authentic and transparent, from a strong AVC video encode to the technically perfect and film-like transfer. For a movie revolving around the structure of the human eye, there isn't much eye candy. The gauzy cinematography has decent definition and clarity but doesn't particularly excel in any category.
rusky_g likes this.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (updated through May 25th, 2015)
post #22683 of 22684 Old Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
All votes have always been included and always will. Tier 0 gets a little slippery because the database software wasn't really constructed with it in mind. I am always up to fixing mistakes in the Tiers.
Not to "beat a dead horse" Phantom, but just how does that software work? I ask this because you seem to place the top titles right into the "spot" that they are voted into. So, what is it that causes the software to be in issue when placing titles lower in the tier? This is NOT a leading question (I'm NOT arguing!!); I'm just wanting to understand how that works.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Roku XD

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #22684 of 22684 Old Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 165
The other tiers are simply sorted in alphabetical order and immune to this kind of mistake. All the Tiers are auto-generated after the placements are entered. The placement process in Tier 0 involves having to continually place new entries using decimal places inside a fixed spread. That is a manual process which can lead to the occasional error.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (updated through May 25th, 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page