The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 768 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 298Likes

post #23011 of 23040 Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 231
The Martian

Okay guys & girls....mweflen was absolutely, positively SPOT-ON in recommending this for a high Tier Blu placement! The CLARITY, SHARPNESS & DETAILS were mesmerizing!! During the first scene I became a wee bit skeptical due to my "black bars" being more like "dark gray bars," but that shot lasted less than a minute and from that point on BLACK LEVELS and SHADOW DETAILS were phenomenal. DEPTH was also astounding in most every scene. FLESH TONES were as accurate as they come. CONTRAST was super strong. COLORS were pleasingly vibrant (with the exception of some NASA scenes where they were intentionally muted).

I noticed that our colleague had nominated this for right above Hugo, which would make it #47 on the list in Tier 0. I actually took the time to count each entry and there are currently 137 Blu-rays in the tier, which would make his placement at approximately .33. i was going to nominate it for .25 but to keep things simple for Phantom (and because the difference would be marginal) I have decided to go along with him and opt for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (right above Hugo)

PS The audio was rock-solid and the movie itself was very well done, with excellent acting and a heart-warming story-line (definitely better than Gravity, IMHO).

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Roku XD

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23012 of 23040 Old 01-17-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I am quite excited, for tonight I will finally be watching The Martian! I'll weigh in as soon as the credits start rolling.

I ordered Inside Out a few moments ago. Has anyone out there seen this Pixar film yet? Reviewers are "singing its praises" and touting it was one of Pixar's best, if not the very best (in the PQ department).
I would definitely place Inside Out up with Pixar's absolute best. PQ is stellar. As movies go, it's certainly in the upper third of their oeuvre as well.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #23013 of 23040 Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone have any ideas for a potential 4K tier list? It'd be a big commitment. Early releases will swindle people: you'd be lucky to get something that uses a 4K source at all. Most releases in the first two years will end up being 4K live action with 2K effects. We saw that same kind of upscale-swindle early on in the Blu-Ray era.
Quote:
I ordered Inside Out a few moments ago. Has anyone out there seen this Pixar film yet? Reviewers are "singing its praises" and touting it was one of Pixar's best, if not the very best (in the PQ department).
I saw clips of the Blu-Ray on my computer monitor. It looks good but I can't give a meaningful comparison to other Pixar movies which I've seen on my 60-inch TV. Some of those are my favorite movies so I'd be biased anyway. It has a lot of fine detail, along with bloom / glow effects. I don't particularly care for its art style, but technically it will probably do very well in the tiers. It is a refinement of everything Pixar has done previously, so it's probably one of the best-looking movies they've made. Artistically I much prefer the underwater beauty of Finding Nemo, the stone streets of Paris in Ratatouille, and the brief space interlude in WALL-E.

The Good Dinosaur, also a 2015 Pixar movie, blows Inside Out out of the water for picture quality. I can't wait for TGD to come to Blu-Ray. If they do it right it may be my choice for best-looking Blu-Ray. Visually, it's like a CGI nature documentary.

Last edited by monomial; 01-18-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #23014 of 23040 Old 01-18-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I've been meaning to see Inside Out, I have no doubt as to its stellar picture quality. Pixar has never really let us down before.

I believe in the need for a Tier list, which is why I have hung around so long supporting it. I definitely see a need for a 4K companion to the Blu-ray Tiers. Saying that, I don't foresee myself personally jumping into 4K tech this year. Someone else would have to maintain any potential 4K Tiers.

I suspect it will become a bigger and bigger part of the discussion here as time marches on. Hopefully the studios have learned their mistakes from prior formats and release visually suitable material for UHD.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through November 15, 2015)
post #23015 of 23040 Old 01-18-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomial View Post
Does anyone have any ideas for a potential 4K tier list? It'd be a big commitment. Early releases will swindle people: you'd be lucky to get something that uses a 4K source at all. Most releases in the first two years will end up being 4K live action with 2K effects. We saw that same kind of upscale-swindle early on in the Blu-Ray era.

I saw clips of the Blu-Ray on my computer monitor. It looks good but I can't give a meaningful comparison to other Pixar movies which I've seen on my 60-inch TV. Some of those are my favorite movies so I'd be biased anyway. It has a lot of fine detail, along with bloom / glow effects. I don't particularly care for its art style, but technically it will probably do very well in the tiers. It is a refinement of everything Pixar has done previously, so it's probably one of the best-looking movies they've made. Artistically I much prefer the underwater beauty of Finding Nemo, the stone streets of Paris in Ratatouille, and the brief space interlude in WALL-E.

The Good Dinosaur, also a 2015 Pixar movie, blows Inside Out out of the water for picture quality. I can't wait for TGD to come to Blu-Ray. If they do it right it may be my choice for best-looking Blu-Ray. Visually, it's like a CGI nature documentary.
Yes, I had heard of the stellar PQ in The Good Dinosaur. In fact, I was hoping to see a preview of it when we were at Epcot in Florida 10 days ago. We went to the "Disney & Pixar Animated Shorts" at Epcot's "Magic Eye Theater." We did see 3 very well-done shorts in 3D while there.

Regarding a 4K tier, I have to echo Phantom's sentiments. I will NOT be jumping into the 4K tech in the foreseeable future. I would absolutely LOVE to go out and buy a 65-75" 4K tv (preferably an OLED), but at present my KURO Elite is still a pleasure to watch. Also, I'm waiting for standard formats to be set in 4K tvs before I spend a lot of money on a display that may not be "future-proof." I know that Samsung, Sony, LG and others are saying their displays are future-proof, but with different formats still competing (the biggest one being the HDR format) I'm going to wait awhile before boarding the 4K train. Of course, one will need to upgrade their receiver and blu-ray player too, so again I'm waiting for things to get settled and for bugs to be worked out too before I take the plunge.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Roku XD

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23016 of 23040 Old 01-19-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

88 represents the number of minutes I can never get back from watching this movie. In better news, Millennium Entertainment's Blu-ray presentation has appreciably pleasing video quality. Someone more inclined to be favorable towards 88 could easily place this disc in the lower quarters of Tier One with its clear, sharp definition.

Your Sister's Sister

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

This charming indie romance features very standard indie cinematography with limited depth and a flat color palette, which limits its picture quality ceiling. IFC Films provides a technically sound Blu-ray presentation that perfectly replicates the filmmaker's intentions.

Years ago I tried to popularize the idea of benchmarks or common reference points in the PQ Tiers, though it never caught on to any substantial degree. The perfectly ordinary video of Your Sister's Sister would have been a great example of what I consider average-looking picture quality for the Tiers.

post #23017 of 23040 Old 01-19-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Inside Out

Yep, we have another WINNER!!

Every time I watch a Pixar animated film I try to find something that sets it apart from its brothers, sisters and cousins (i.e. other Pixar films), for they all have topnotch PQ. This one had one characteristic throughout the movie that was quite rare...there was a GLOW around each "emotion" (especially JOY) that was like an "aura of light." I know words will fall short in describing it, but I was mesmerized by the animator's ability to make it look so REAL. There were also remarkable SHADOWS and LOW LIGHTS in several scenes that were reminiscent of the first half of WALL-E (scenes depicting an apocalyptic earth), treating the viewer to impressive PHOTO-REALISM.

Of course another obvious highlight in this film are the eye-popping COLORS. Richly saturated and vibrant, they never disappoint. BLACK LEVELS, though rare, were deep and inky, and thanks to the lack of black crush, there were amazing SHADOW DETAILS. DEPTH was off the charts at times (I guess the 3D version of this is "reference" all the way through).

When it comes to rating this, it is a given that this will find its way into the Top Tier. But where, exactly?! I've seen so many animated marvels from Pixar now that I'm becoming a bit jaded, yet with the highlights mentioned above this should easily be placed in the Top Ten! I won't say it's deserving of the very top, for it didn't have the DETAILS that you saw in some of the other Pixar films. (That's NOT to say there weren't details, for there were, but there were also quite a few characters and objects that were rather flat and lacking texture.) My vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (Somewhere in the Top Ten)

PS I'll leave it to others to be more specific!
|Tch0rT| and tcramer like this.

post #23018 of 23040 Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Inside Out

Yep, we have another WINNER!!

Every time I watch a Pixar animated film I try to find something that sets it apart from its brothers, sisters and cousins (i.e. other Pixar films), for they all have topnotch PQ. This one had one characteristic throughout the movie that was quite rare...there was a GLOW around each "emotion" (especially JOY) that was like an "aura of light." I know words will fall short in describing it, but I was mesmerized by the animator's ability to make it look so REAL. There were also remarkable SHADOWS and LOW LIGHTS in several scenes that were reminiscent of the first half of WALL-E (scenes depicting an apocalyptic earth), treating the viewer to impressive PHOTO-REALISM.

Of course another obvious highlight in this film are the eye-popping COLORS. Richly saturated and vibrant, they never disappoint. BLACK LEVELS, though rare, were deep and inky, and thanks to the lack of black crush, there were amazing SHADOW DETAILS. DEPTH was off the charts at times (I guess the 3D version of this is "reference" all the way through).

When it comes to rating this, it is a given that this will find its way into the Top Tier. But where, exactly?! I've seen so many animated marvels from Pixar now that I'm becoming a bit jaded, yet with the highlights mentioned above this should easily be placed in the Top Ten! I won't say it's deserving of the very top, for it didn't have the DETAILS that you saw in some of the other Pixar films. (That's NOT to say there weren't details, for there were, but there were also quite a few characters and objects that were rather flat and lacking texture.) My vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (Somewhere in the Top Ten)

PS I'll leave it to others to be more specific!

I can chime in on this one, having just watched it this past weekend. I of course agree with your assessment for right around the top 10, but like you said it just didn't have some of those details and contrasty scenes of the top films. I would slot Inside Out right at the ten spot , between Legend of the Guardians and A Christmas Carol.

Inside Out Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 - # 10 between Legend of the Guardians and A Christmas Carol
djoberg likes this.

post #23019 of 23040 Old 01-20-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I can chime in on this one, having just watched it this past weekend. I of course agree with your assessment for right around the top 10, but like you said it just didn't have some of those details and contrasty scenes of the top films. I would slot Inside Out right at the ten spot , between Legend of the Guardians and A Christmas Carol.

Inside Out Tier Recommendation: Tier 0 - # 10 between Legend of the Guardians and A Christmas Carol
Sounds good to me!

post #23020 of 23040 Old 01-22-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've had "Inside Out" in my collection for a good while now (you know, two kids and all) and it is definitely superb. Both of the above reviews are accurate. But I don't like evaluating animated movies against live action, so I'll leave the tier rating to others.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #23021 of 23040 Old 01-23-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Wild Card

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

This 2014 Jason Statham film from Lionsgate offers fairly average picture quality for a recent release. There are no overtly poor moments but its mostly sharp video doesn't pop. The color palette is surprisingly untweaked. A neutral grading in an action thriller of this type is exceedingly rare these days.

Lionsgate appears to have tossed this out on home video in a rush, probably costing the disc a quarter tier or more.

post #23022 of 23040 Old 01-24-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The Bishop's Wife

recommendation: Tier 3.75*

I had been meaning to review this disc for some time and regret not covering it for this past Christmas. It has been out a couple of years and remains one of my favorite seasonal movies.

This 1947 Cary Grant film is brought to Blu-ray in a perfectly sound presentation by WB. It appears a 2K scan of the camera negative works as the source for this fairly new film transfer. I wouldn't call it a complete restoration but some unobtrusive processing gives it a consistent, sharp-for-the-era video. A couple of the effect shots are softer than normal but overall resembles a film-like replication of the original elements.

As expected, the film is shown in its original 1.37:1 aspect ratio. The main feature runs 109 minutes, encoded in a fine AVC video encode on a BD-25. The negative is in good shape with virtually no significant wear.

I think a score in the lower sections of Tier 3 is correct. This is not tack-sharp cinematography and includes the diffuse lighting so common to films of the period. Black levels hold up quite well with a steady contrast. Current fans will likely think this disc looks marvelous. New viewers may not be so taken with its picture quality.

post #23023 of 23040 Old 01-26-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Golden Time: Collection 1

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

The 2013 anime looks very good in this two-disc set from Sentai Filmworks. The animation features solid character designs and a vibrant color palette.

It does lack the polish and sophistication of theatrical animation, representing very typical picture quality for anime produced for Japanese television.

post #23024 of 23040 Old 01-29-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I plan on watching Everest tonight with my son-in-law. Has anyone seen it yet? The PQ reviews I've read have really "whetted my appetite!"

post #23025 of 23040 Old 01-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I plan on watching Everest tonight with my son-in-law. Has anyone seen it yet? The PQ reviews I've read have really "whetted my appetite!"
I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list. I actually just signed up for the 3D Blu-Ray rental site so I can see the 3D version, which I heard was pretty good on this one.

post #23026 of 23040 Old 01-29-2016, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list. I actually just signed up for the 3D Blu-Ray rental site so I can see the 3D version, which I heard was pretty good on this one.
Our resident AVS reviewer, Ralph Potts, prefers the 3D version over the 2D version (even though it wasn't shot natively in 3D). Here is his stellar review:

Everest 3D Blu-ray Review
tcramer likes this.

Last edited by djoberg; 01-29-2016 at 05:51 PM.
post #23027 of 23040 Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Our resident AVS reviewer, Ralph Potts, prefers the 3D version over the 2D version (even though it wasn't shot natively in 3D). Here is his stellar review:

Everest 3D Blu-ray Review
Yep, that is exactly what gave me the idea! I'm an avid reader of Ralph's reviews.

post #23028 of 23040 Old 01-29-2016, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Everest

How thankful we can be for all the "reference" and "demo" material that is coming down the pike these days! This one is most definitely "reference" (Tier Blu)!!

From the very outset you knew that clarity, details, depth and colors were going to be topnotch. Many scenes featured a brilliant snow-covered terrain with bright blue skies and the colors (in tents and parkas) POPPED against this dazzling background. Details in rocks, clothing, tents, etc. was phenomenal, and skin texture was what you would expect in a reference title (when frostbite occurred on faces and hands it looked positively REAL). Flesh tones were exemplary, contrast was off the charts, and black levels were excellent (with the exception of a couple of dark scenes where my "black bars" became "dark gray").

I kept comparing this to The Art of Flight because of similar terrain and colors, but this one lacked the green foliage that was found in many shots in AOF. Also, this one featured several blinding snow storms that naturally served to hinder details. Art of Flight is sitting at approximately the .33 mark and I would place this one here....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.66)

PS The movie itself was very engaging, with an excellent cast and story-line. The audio was REFERENCE in most instances, but we did find the dialogue hard to understand during the storms (the wind was unbelievably loud, so much so that I told my son-in-law that if I had been there it would have driven me crazy long before lapsing into hypothermia).
tcramer likes this.

post #23029 of 23040 Old 01-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome to hear about Everest...I can't wait to check it out.

On another note, went and saw The Revenant last night. Sadly the local theater is not great quality with unmasked bars and washed out blacks, even though it's less than a year old. But I will say, this disc will have some amazing potential when it comes out with the dark scenes and great nature footage. I'm sure 1080p will be good, but man if they release this film on UHD it could be a top demo. We will see!

post #23030 of 23040 Old 01-30-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome to hear about Everest...I can't wait to check it out.

On another note, went and saw The Revenant last night. Sadly the local theater is not great quality with unmasked bars and washed out blacks, even though it's less than a year old. But I will say, this disc will have some amazing potential when it comes out with the dark scenes and great nature footage. I'm sure 1080p will be good, but man if they release this film on UHD it could be a top demo. We will see!
I'm excited to see The Revenant on Blu-ray too! Regarding its "dark scenes," I have seen the LG OLED 65EF9500 "up close and personal" and the black levels leave you drooling. LG is having problems with the OLED though (i.e. near black and uniformity issues) but once those are corrected there won't be a panel on earth that is able to compare with it. Having said that, the PRICE of OLED is ridiculous for those who want a 65" or larger. Their upcoming G6 77" may have a MSRP of over 20K! I definitely want at least a 70" so I may have to wait a couple of years for the price to be competitive. Here's hoping my KURO will last that long!

post #23031 of 23040 Old 02-01-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Serial

recommendation: Tier 3.25*

Olive Films licensed this 1980 comedy from Paramount. This is an adequate transfer from decent, if unspectacular, film elements. The AVC video encode fully renders the moderate grain structure without error. Its resolution is on the softer side but clarity remains fairly strong. This is not a striking, new transfer oozing with depth and dimensionality, but a very serviceable effort.

BDInfo scan:

Code:
                                                                                                                 Total   Video                                             
Title                                                            Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main  Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                            ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- -------  ------------------                        ---------------------
00003.MPLS                                                       AVC     1:32:20 23,397,150,720  23,549,703,013  33.78   30.18   DTS-HD  Master 2.0 1886Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)

post #23032 of 23040 Old 02-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks for so many great reviews guys!

The other night I watched...

The Maze Runner

This started off strong with some early scenes showing excellent dimensionlaity.

They were the best moments and whilst the remainder had good PQ it wasn't the cream of the crop. Competition from new titles is so strong now!

Tier 1.5

Edited ranking from 1.25 to 1.5

Last edited by rusky_g; Today at 07:05 PM.
post #23033 of 23040 Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice to see you back, Russ.

Hana-Dama: The Origin

recommendation: Tier 4.5*

Olive Films releases this 2013 Japanese horror movie in fairly middling quality through no fault of their own. The low-budget movie was filmed with cheap digital cameras and looks it, bearing all the trademarks of unpolished digital video from a few years ago. Independent Japanese filmmakers are simply a few years behind in camera technology.

The 1080i presentation features regular bouts of aliasing and heavy banding endemic to the original production. This is a native HD production but the rather shoddy video barely takes advantage of the format's full potential.

BDInfo scan:

Code:
                                                                                                                 Total   Video                                             
Title                                                            Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main  Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                            ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- -------  ------------------                        ---------------------
00002.MPLS                                                       AVC     1:46:56 18,679,308,288  24,642,642,513  23.29   20.00   DTS-HD  Master 2.0 1978Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)

post #23034 of 23040 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
Thanks for so many great reviews guys!

The other night I watched...

The Maze Runner

This started off strong with some early scenes showing excellent dimensionlaity.

They were the best moments and whilst the remainder had good PQ it wasn't the cream of the crop. Competition from new titles is so strong now!

Tier 1.25
Hey Russ...good to see you're still breathing AND watching Blus!!

Thanks for the review. If this is the "first installment," then we are very close (I rated it 1.5). If this is the "second installment," we're still close (I rated that 1.75).

post #23035 of 23040 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Hey Russ...good to see you're still breathing AND watching Blus!!

Thanks for the review. If this is the "first installment," then we are very close (I rated it 1.5). If this is the "second installment," we're still close (I rated that 1.75).
Hey Denny

Yep still here! Pretty much settled in to our new house now so back on the Blu's!

To clarify that score was for part 1....I was very tempted to go 1.5 to be honest!
post #23036 of 23040 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

By the way check out these screens from Legend

http://blushots.weebly.com/legend---...e1454616082834

Looks like a winner!
post #23037 of 23040 Old Today, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

Those screen shots look VERY GOOD Russ! When will it come out on Blu-ray?

post #23038 of 23040 Old Today, 06:48 PM

It's out here in the UK, Denny....I'm sure US should get a release soon, if not already.
post #23039 of 23040 Old Today, 07:02 PM

Stage Fright (2014)

I love slasher flicks but musicals aren't so much my thing so this was an interesting choice!

As a film it was ok but for PQ I was really impressed. The only thing that held this back from a higher pegging was a few murky moments where blacks and contrast didn't hit the spot. Elsewhere however they were splendid and more importantly during the moments which really counted. Other highlights were hair strands on the female lead which could be picked apart in most scenes. Overall fidelity was excellent and colours were crisp and inviting. I felt this had more 'pause button moments' than Maze Runner so I may drop my score for that down slightly...

Tier 1.25
post #23040 of 23040 Old Today, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Batman: Bad Blood

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Please check my preceding twenty-something recommendations for WB Animation's direct-to-video output if you would like my views on this disc. These animated movies from Warner for DC Comics have hit a wall in terms of polish and development.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies