The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 769 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 298Likes
post #23041 of 23052 Unread 02-06-2016, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Way of the Dragon

recommendation: Tier 4.5*

This 1972 Bruce Lee movie got a low-budget transfer in Hong Kong. I imported it and it's watchable, but far below most Blu-Rays. Better than upscaled DVD in some spots (maybe 50-75% of the film). In the rest I wonder if all they did was upscale an old transfer. At its worst it's fuzzy and out of focus. You can barely see what's going on in some of the long-distance shots.

The worst shot of the whole film:

Cropped and inverted:

Thankfully the rest isn't as terrible, but this shows kind of effort put into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23042 of 23052 Unread 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Hong Kong Blu-rays for films from the Seventies usually suffer from poor transfers and erratic film elements. I think many of those films will forever be "trapped" at nearly DVD resolution. The Korean market occasionally gets a hold of them and gives a better effort.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through November 15, 2015)
post #23043 of 23052 Unread 02-06-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
It's out here in the UK, Denny....I'm sure US should get a release soon, if not already.
The release date for Legend in the U.S. is March 1st. I've read a number of reviews on Amazon regarding the PQ and all that have the Blu-ray are singing its praises! I can believe this based on those stellar screen shots you linked us to.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Roku XD

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23044 of 23052 Unread 02-06-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Momentum

This low-budget, action/thriller was underwhelming as a movie and simply "okay" in the PQ department. Most of the scenes took place outdoors at night or in low-lit interiors. Black levels were so-so, but on occasion there were splashes of "noise." Details were pleasing, especially in facial texture, hair, and clothing. Depth was lacking, for the most part, but at times it jumped out at you. Colors were drab, due to a muted color palette and the infamous "teal" color-grading. Skin tones were accurate though, in spite of the lack of color and blue hues.

As I said, the PQ was just okay, but it fell short of the standards that we are growing accustomed to today. This is not to say it didn't have its moments; in fact, at times it was "demo-worthy," but all things considered it may find itself in Tier 2. As I contemplate my final placement recommendation, I'm waiting for my "generous rater gene" to kick in......well. it's not kicking in....so, I'll go with....

Tier Recommendation: 2.0*

PS The audio was LOUD!!! Had I been home alone I might have turned it up to -10 or so, but with my wife one floor above me I opted for no more than -18.
PPS I could see others wanting to place this at 1.75 because of the excellent facial texture and details in general.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Roku XD

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD

Last edited by djoberg; Yesterday at 06:33 AM.
post #23045 of 23052 Unread 02-06-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Momentum

This low-budget, action/thriller was underwhelming as a movie and simply "okay" in the PQ department. Most of the scenes took place outdoors at night or in low-lit interiors. Black levels were so-so, but on occasion there were splashes of "noise." Details were pleasing, especially in facial texture, hair, and clothing. Depth was lacking, for the most part, but at times it jumped out at you. Colors were drab, due to a muted color palette and the infamous "teal" color-grading. Skin tones were accurate though, in spite of the lack of color and blue hues.

As I said, the PQ was just okay, but it fell short of the standards that we are growing accustomed to today. This is not to say it didn't have its moments; in fact, at times it was "demo-worthy," but all things considered it may find itself itself in Tier 2. As I contemplate my final placement recommendation, I'm waiting for my "generous rater gene" to kick in......well. it's not kicking in....so, I'll go with....

Tier Recommendation: 2.0*

PS The audio was LOUD!!! Had I been home alone I might have turned it up to -10 or so, but with my wife one floor above me I opted for no more than -18.
PPS I could see others wanting to place this at 1.75 because of the excellent facial texture and details in general.
I completely concur with your assessment of Momentum. I thought I had made a post about Momentum for the PQ Tiers but a search reveals nothing. I reviewed it for DoBlu.com and like you, found its middling picture quality acceptable but not outstanding in any measure. It's been a couple of months since I watched it but Momentum would have earned a ranking somewhere around Tier 2.5 if I had bothered writing up a recommendation.

Here is Momentum's BDInfo scan:

Code:
                                                                                                                 Total   Video                                             
Title                                                            Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main  Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                            ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- -------  ------------------                        ---------------------
00200.MPLS                                                       AVC     1:36:00 18,815,250,432  23,628,200,754  26.13   22.00   Dolby  TrueHD 5.1 1344Kbps (48kHz/16-bit)

post #23046 of 23052 Unread 02-06-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I completely concur with your assessment of Momentum. I thought I had made a post about Momentum for the PQ Tiers but a search reveals nothing. I reviewed it for DoBlu.com and like you, found its middling picture quality acceptable but not outstanding in any measure. It's been a couple of months since I watched it but Momentum would have earned a ranking somewhere around Tier 2.5 if I had bothered writing up a recommendation.
I voted for 2.0 so perhaps my "generous rater gene" did kick in after-all!

Last edited by djoberg; Yesterday at 10:28 AM.
post #23047 of 23052 Unread Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone seen Bridge of Spies yet? I've been trying to rent it all week but the copies in our local Video Store aren't being returned when they should be. I've read that both the movie and the PQ are quite good.

post #23048 of 23052 Unread Yesterday, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully another Tier user can chime in, Denny.

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (UK Region B)

recommendation: Tier 1.5*

Arrow Video licensed this movie for release from Twentieth-Century Fox in the UK. I've seen no indications Fox plans to do anything with this film in Region A. This is simply a magnificent film transfer oozing with perfect saturation and fine detail. Featuring a relatively new scan from the negative, the elements are in immaculate shape.

The 1970 film has wonderful depth in its razor-sharp presentation, some of the most consistent seen for this vintage on Blu-ray. I am shocked no one has tried to license this movie in North America considering the quality of this master. I would wager that Arrow Video did attempt to license it for an American version and were thwarted by Fox themselves.

post #23049 of 23052 Unread Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Has anyone seen Bridge of Spies yet? I've been trying to rent it all week but the copies in our local Video Store aren't being returned when they should be. I've read that both the movie and the PQ are quite good.
I've heard the same and can't wait to see it. I thought about purchasing, but it seems to be pricey at $27 most places. It's at the top of my Netflix queue, but sadly isn't available until 3/1 so I more than likely won't see it before then.

post #23050 of 23052 Unread Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I've heard the same and can't wait to see it. I thought about purchasing, but it seems to be pricey at $27 most places. It's at the top of my Netflix queue, but sadly isn't available until 3/1 so I more than likely won't see it before then.
I was able to rent a copy an hour ago and will be watching it tonight!

post #23051 of 23052 Unread Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
I was able to rent a copy an hour ago and will be watching it tonight!
You need to watch this too:

The movie itself is phenomenally done.
post #23052 of 23052 Unread Today, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
You need to watch this too:

https://youtu.be/0p1Iv9z8bOY

The movie itself is phenomenally done.
I actually saw this the night it aired. Hilarious!

Your assessment (that the movie was "phenomenally done") echoes that of others. My appetite is whetted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies