The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 779 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 349Likes

post #23341 of 23359 Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Justice League: Gotham City Breakout

recommendation: Tier 1.25*

WB Animation serves up another direct-to-video LEGO movie. I've generally been impressed by their animated LEGO features' picture quality and this one is no different. Crisp black levels, strong color saturation and perfectly rendered 3-D CGI animation easily qualifies for Tier One.
How is the movie? I've been considering this one for my son (turning 5 soon).

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23342 of 23359 Old 08-19-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen View Post
He'll love the Nightwing LEGO figure that comes with it.

JL: Gotham City Breakout is definitely all-ages fun mostly written for children under 10 with a lot of recognizable DC superheroes. The plot is silly despite involving Deathstroke and the Joker. Joker takes over Gotham...with a spoon. Most children will enjoy it. I'd actually recommend an earlier LEGO movie before it as more entertaining, LEGO Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom!

http://doblu.com/2015/08/25/lego-jus...lu-ray-review/

The one DC LEGO movie I'd avoid is Justice League: Cosmic Clash. That one is less entertaining and the humor falls flat.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
post #23343 of 23359 Old 08-19-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you setup for streaming off VUDU or another UltraViolet provider? You can have my UV code for JL: Gotham City Breakout. It's not the Blu-ray but I don't think your son will notice the difference.

post #23344 of 23359 Old 08-20-2016, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Clown

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Clown, a new horror movie coming out next week from Starz, isn't demo material. This is a horror movie with unfiltered detail and without a drastic color grading. This Blu-ray showcases the movie's solid picture quality in fine form.

I probably would have ranked this disc higher in the past. The video's sharp, detailed definition doesn't really pop like most Tier One discs.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 08-20-2016 at 11:13 PM.
post #23345 of 23359 Old 08-20-2016, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you setup for streaming off VUDU or another UltraViolet provider? You can have my UV code for JL: Gotham City Breakout. It's not the Blu-ray but I don't think your son will notice the difference.
I'd appreciate it. PM me if you like and we'll definitely give it a watch.

post #23346 of 23359 Old 08-21-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I have been on a business trip recently or I would have written earlier to let you know I have somewhat of a dilemma. I purchased a UHD Blu-ray player to go along with my Sony 4K display and now the only Blu-rays I'm buying are UHD Blu-rays. So, unless I am renting a Blu-ray release, I'm not in a position to review what I'm watching. (Having said that, there will still be a fair number of releases that won't be released on 4k or that I won't want to buy, so I should still be chiming in with reviews, but not as often as in the past.)

While I'm on here, I thought I would ask Phantom if he has heard anything about the new horror show Clown. Does it sound interesting and who will be starring in it?

Sony XBR75X940D....Philips BDP 7501 UHD Blu-ray Player....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23347 of 23359 Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I have been on a business trip recently or I would have written earlier to let you know I have somewhat of a dilemma. I purchased a UHD Blu-ray player to go along with my Sony 4K display and now the only Blu-rays I'm buying are UHD Blu-rays. So, unless I am renting a Blu-ray release, I'm not in a position to review what I'm watching. (Having said that, there will still be a fair number of releases that won't be released on 4k or that I won't want to buy, so I should still be chiming in with reviews, but not as often as in the past.)

While I'm on here, I thought I would ask Phantom if he has heard anything about the new horror show Clown. Does it sound interesting and who will be starring in it?
I figured with a new 4K display that a UHD player wouldn't be far behind for you, Djoberg. Though I believe most UHDs also come with a regular Blu-ray, maybe you could take a quick peek at them for comparison if you get the time. Others will have to pick up the slack on new releases as I tend to focus more heavily on older catalog titles for the PQ Tiers. You've been great at reviewing new movies on Blu-ray here for a long time.

I am aware of the new horror movie Clown, it's coming out this week on Blu-ray. If there is a show by the same name, I haven't heard about it. The movie is decent indie horror fare, if a bit tedious with too much character development. There may or may not be a full review for it that will soon be posted elsewhere.

post #23348 of 23359 Old 08-21-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I figured with a new 4K display that a UHD player wouldn't be far behind for you, Djoberg. Though I believe most UHDs also come with a regular Blu-ray, maybe you could take a quick peek at them for comparison if you get the time. Others will have to pick up the slack on new releases as I tend to focus more heavily on older catalog titles for the PQ Tiers. You've been great at reviewing new movies on Blu-ray here for a long time.

I am aware of the new horror movie Clown, it's coming out this week on Blu-ray. If there is a show by the same name, I haven't heard about it. The movie is decent indie horror fare, if a bit tedious with too much character development. There may or may not be a full review for it that will soon be posted elsewhere.
Yes, I could "take a quick peek" at the regular Blu-ray which, as you say, is included with the UHD version. That is most likely what I will do, if time permits me to.

I will look forward to seeing a review from you on Clown.

Sony XBR75X940D....Philips BDP 7501 UHD Blu-ray Player....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23349 of 23359 Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Has there already been a discussion of whether 4k stuff will be included here?

post #23350 of 23359 Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Phantom can give you the definitive answer to your question, but if memory serves me he decided that we would limit this thread to 1080P material. I know that when I read "professional" reviews online they will always distinguish between 1080P and 4K releases. Our "resident AVS reviewer," Mr. Ralph Potts, usually gives TWO separate reviews of PQ, one for 4K and the other for 1080P.

I can well imagine that in the future (near or not-so-near), MOST members will indeed own a 4K display AND a 4K UHD Blu-ray player and that MOST Blu-ray releases will indeed be in 4K. At that time the "PQ Thread" will no doubt transition into 4K reviews EXCLUSIVELY.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #23351 of 23359 Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For the moment 4K UHD discs aren't being included in the PQ Tiers. Feel free to discuss them here since they are the next step in picture quality but we really don't have a mechanism for ranking them...yet. I am interested in hearing the qualitative differences between UHD and highly ranked BDs.

It wouldn't bother me if someone wanted to step forward and run their own independent UHD PQ Tiers. At the moment this thread will continue to rank Blu-rays by picture quality, I don't plan on abandoning it.

This is not to say UHDs won't be addressed at some future date in the PQ Tiers. They are the new reference standard by which video quality available to consumers is measured, so they should begin influencing the PQ Tiers sooner or later.

Unlike Djoberg, I haven't taken the 4K plunge at the moment. I'm sure many AVS users are weighing the same decision with UHD's introduction.
Kool-aid23 likes this.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 08-22-2016 at 06:21 PM.
post #23352 of 23359 Old 08-25-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I broke down and rented the Blu-ray release of The Huntsman: Winter's War (I miss not writing reviews on this thread). I've heard that the PQ is quite good, though the story is quite bad. I hope to watch it tonight so I'll be chiming in later.

post #23353 of 23359 Old 08-25-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Microwave Massacre

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

This is one of Arrow Video's best-looking transfers, especially as an Eighties film. The film-like presentation offers crisp colors and a strong contrast in this 2K film restoration. Excellent definition and detail come through in complete fidelity.

The low-budget independent film starring comedian Jackie Vernon has never looked better.

post #23354 of 23359 Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The Huntsman: Winter's War

DAZZLING!!

This was IMPRESSIVE, indeed! I could go on and on with superlatives describing this amazing work of art, but I'll keep this short by saying I was awed by the razor-sharp clarity, vibrant colors (n spite of its cool and muted colors that dominated a majority of its nearly 2 hour running time), and mesmerizing details. The only "flaw" that was evident was during the first 6-7 minutes, where black levels within the screen became a bit murky and my black bars (which are normally "pitch black") turned dark gray. There was also a scene towards the end where I noticed some black crush. But there were MANY dark scenes where the black levels were topnotch with excellent shadow details. Flesh tones were spot-on accurate, contrast was pitch-perfect, and depth was (at times) off the charts!

I must say if not for the less-than-stellar blacks in the those two scenes, I would have voted for a mid Tier 0 placement. To be fair I'll vote for....

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (.75)
Phantom Stranger likes this.

post #23355 of 23359 Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The Magicians: Season One

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

Universal put this television set out last month after the show had aired earlier in the year on Syfy. They've spread the entire first season of thirteen episodes over three BD-50s. Made on a cable budget, The Magicians offers fairly average picture quality by current television standards. Universal does an excellent job with its transfer, this is a solid set that gets everything right.

Having seen it aired on Syfy, the Blu-ray set presents a slightly darker tonality and color temperature. The 1080P video is a slightly off-putting combination of razor-sharp definition in close-ups, mixed with wider shots that include less impressive clarity. There are no serious lapses in black levels, though shadow delineation could be improved in some scenes. Some variance should be expected given the wide range in lighting conditions.

This first season of The Magicians remains the most imaginative and compelling storytelling I've seen on television in 2016.

post #23356 of 23359 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Concussion

This is another fine release from Sony that should find its way onto many "demo" shelves. I can't say that's it's "reference" quality (i.e. Tier Blu), but I would be happy to put it right on the top of Tier Gold.

The highlights of this film are, by far, the remarkable CLARITY and DETAILS. The director choose to "zoom in" often, revealing facial texture on par with many of the best releases in thhe top tiers (though the 4K version fared even better in this area). But even panoramic, aerial views of Pittsburgh resulted in exquisite details, to say nothing of the finely rendered details in clothing, city streets, furniture, etc. in mid-range shots. BLACK LEVELS were, for the majority of the movie, lusciously deep and inky (in both the 1080P and 4K versions), though I was surprised to see a "graying of the bars" in a few scenes, most notably the opening courtroom scene. SHADOW DETAILS were a real treat, and there were plenty of night time scenes to showcase their splendid delineation. FLESH TONES were very good, CONTRAST was strong, and DEPTH was appreciable in many scenes.

As I stated at the outset, this is "demo-worthy" and should end up on the top of Tier 1. (The 4K version would be a notch higher due to richer facial details and brighter contrast...thanks to the High Dynamic Range.)

Tier Recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Last edited by djoberg; Yesterday at 09:33 PM.
post #23357 of 23359 Old Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

So you did compare the regular Blu-ray with the UHD's video? Sony has been on the 4K bandwagon since the beginning, so their UHDs should look pretty nice. Are there any real differences in black levels between the two formats visible in Concussion?

post #23358 of 23359 Old Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Phantom,

If you read my review again you will see that I allude to the 4K version twice. The 4K was definitely better in details (especially facial details) and contrast. I would put it a notch higher than the 1080P version.

Denny

post #23359 of 23359 Old Today, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Speaking to,

Has anyone seen Zootopia? With it being a big hit (and Disney animated), I'm hoping there might be a new #1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies