The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 780 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 358Likes

post #23371 of 23379 Old 09-16-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Money Monster

Sony keeps rolling out the "lookers," with Money Monster featuring exquisite details and depth with exceptional clarity. Flesh tones and contrast are also spot-on, along with velvety blacks and finely-rendered shadow details. If I had any nitpicks, it would be with a few fleeting soft shots and a less-than-stellar color palette. Facial texture was excellent "at times," but not up there with the reference quality titles. This is easily demo material though, and IMHO it should be near the top of Tier Gold...

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*
What did you think of Money Monster as a movie, is it worth a look?

We haven't gotten one of these in a while...

Atroz

recommendaton: Tier 5*

Atroz is an extreme Mexican horror film that got American distribution. The PQ Tiers doesn't see too many scores this low. I guess people are too busy watching high-caliber discs that rank higher. Atroz is a low-budget, independent film from Mexico.

More importantly for its picture quality, most of its 79-minute running time is shown as rough, found-footage video of two killers filming themselves on a camcorder. That translates into wildly erratic, inconsistent results. A few sharp scenes can't make up for blurry shots with limited resolution and clarity.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23372 of 23379 Old 09-17-2016, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Money Monster

Sony keeps rolling out the "lookers," with Money Monster featuring exquisite details and depth with exceptional clarity. Flesh tones and contrast are also spot-on, along with velvety blacks and finely-rendered shadow details. If I had any nitpicks, it would be with a few fleeting soft shots and a less-than-stellar color palette. Facial texture was excellent "at times," but not up there with the reference quality titles. This is easily demo material though, and IMHO it should be near the top of Tier Gold...

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
What did you think of Money Monster as a movie, is it worth a look?

I actually just saw Money Monster last night as well. I'd have to agree with djoberg on the ranking, some very good scenes but overall enough softness to keep it in the gold tier.

It was an interesting movie, I'd say definitely worth a look. For what it's worth, I gave it 4 stars on Netflix.

post #23373 of 23379 Old 09-17-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Phantom,

I agree with tcramer; it is an interesting movie. It's definitely worth renting. I will say that I could have done without the pervasive language.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Sony XBR75X940D....Philips BDP 7501 UHD Blu-ray Player....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23374 of 23379 Old 09-17-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Miracles from Heaven

I hope this isn't a problem, but I'm starting to EXPECT reference or demo material (for my last 15-20 viewings have been worthy of the top two tiers)!

My last outing lacked in the COLOR category....not this one! Colors were vibrant and punchy....they were "natural-looking" most of the time, but there were shots where they appeared to be over-saturated. Whatever the case...they looked mighty fine! DETAILS were exemplary, especially facial texture. There was a shot of Jennifer Garner from the side and you could see every fine hair on her chin (I call it "peach fuzz"), and there were plenty of close-ups of her to show off her beautiful (albeit aging) skin. DEPTH was limitless at times. BLACKS were very impressive when they were on display...I recall at least two nighttime scenes "on the farm" where the sky was jet-black and it only made everything else around the farmyard stand out and yell...EYE CANDY! This one was quite SHARP as well, though there were a couple of soft shots that crept in out of nowhere; thankfully they were short-lived. FLESH TONES were, for the most part, spot-on accurate, though when the color palette looked saturated they had somewhat of a red push.

During most of the film I kept saying to myself, "I'm voting for Tier 0 (.75) on this release," but as I sat down to write my "conservative side" nudged me and said, "Be safe, and vote for the top of Tier 1." So, that's what I'm doing....

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

Sony XBR75X940D....Philips BDP 7501 UHD Blu-ray Player....Samsung BD-H5900....Toshiba HD-A30....Onkyo TX-NR717....Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD

Last edited by djoberg; 09-17-2016 at 07:49 PM.
post #23375 of 23379 Old 09-18-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I hear you, Denny. I almost expect Tier One these days for any new production from Hollywood. I remember the days when the majority of my viewing would have not graded out higher than Tier 3. We've come a long way on the format's potential.

Selector Infected WIXOSS: The Complete First Season

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

This anime series was put out by Funimation in a two-disc set. Like many American releases of licensed anime content, some minor compression issues arise. The AVC video encode is fully transparent most of the time but occasionally introduces faint posterization.

On the positive side of the ledger, black levels are perfect and colors pop with deep saturation. The actual animation offers nicely polished character designs and detailed backgrounds.

post #23376 of 23379 Old 09-20-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The Horrible Dr. Hichcock

recommendation: Tier 4.5*

Olive Films puts out this 1962 Italian production starring Barbara Steele on a BD-25. Alas, they dig up a fairly antiquated telecine transfer from Paramount's vaults. The Technicolor film as seen here has limited color saturation and murky shadow delineation. Merely adequate levels of definition and detail smear the film's native grain structure.

Some edge enhancement with halos are noticeable. The picture is soft and muddy, though the film elements are largely undamaged. I've seen worse vintage catalog transfers but a new HD transfer would have turned out much better.

Last edited by Phantom Stranger; 09-20-2016 at 08:10 PM.
post #23377 of 23379 Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mankillers

recommendation: Tier 5*

Mankillers has possibly the worst picture quality seen on the Blu-ray format. Olive Films is upfront about their source for this "HD" transfer on the packaging. Licensed from Slasher Video, the only available working materials for Mankillers is a PAL Beta SP videotape. Yes, you read that right. They took a rough, analog videotape with resolution far below 1080P and put it out on Blu-ray.

The 1987 low-budget movie was made for the VHS rental market of its day. Originally filmed in 35mm, those negatives are apparently long gone. What is left is a PAL videotape misframed at 1.33:1.

Is this unwatchable? No, there is a fuzzy sense of nostalgia seeing a film in this quality. It's the type of movie one would have seen on the UHF broadcast channels back in the day. There is enough clarity for a serviceable, if very limited, presentation.

post #23378 of 23379 Old 09-24-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Now You See Me 2

It's time to "balance the scales" after Phantom's last two viewings that landed in the bottom of the barrel!

This release is yet another Blu that will easily land on your demo shelf. It has incredible details throughout, whether we're talking closeups of actors' faces (I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Morgan Freeman's face was made for HD!!), clothing, city streets, or the many aerial views of Manhattan, Macau, or London (night time views were especially a visual feast). Depth was also a highlight in numerous scenes. Colors were a mixed bag, with some "muted" and others "bold and vibrant" (most notably those in Macau). Black levels were, in the majority of its many night time scenes, deep and inky. Shadow details were also pure EYE CANDY. Contrast was strong...flesh tones were very good...clarity was topnotch.

Okay, I would be remiss if I didn't mention what I didn't like. In the first few scenes I was underwhelmed with some low-lit interior scenes that became rather "murky" and "soft." There was also a couple of short night time shots where the blacks faltered, resulting in a lack of detail and depth. But thankfully these were limited to those first scenes, for after those I was completely satisfied until the "credits starting to roll." Again, this is demo-material, for sure...and my vote goes for the top of the demo tier....

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

post #23379 of 23379 Old Today, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Johnny Guitar: Olive Signature Edition

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Olive Films releases their finest transfer yet in Johnny Guitar’s new Signature edition and it’s a beauty. A new 4K film scan from the original negatives has produced gorgeous results in this wonderful restoration. This is some of the most colorful, stunning picture quality seen from a Western made before the 1960s.

The 110-minute main feature is presented at 1.66:1. The extremely high AVC video encode is perfectly transparent without artifacts, included on a BD-50. Olive Films and Paramount deserve kudos for giving us this transfer on Blu-ray. It makes the original Blu-ray of Johnny Guitar look obsolete by comparison.

The film elements have been carefully restored to immaculate condition. Crisp texture, strong detail, and sharp definition give Johnny Guitar an extremely faithful presentation. This new transfer also boasts some of the finest color timing work I’ve seen on vintage film. Johnny Guitar was filmed in Trucolor. Trucolor was a color motion picture process used and owned by Consolidated Film Industries mostly for its Westerns, a division of Republic Pictures. Its vivid color saturation and accurate flesh-tones come to life in this 1080P video.

The cinematography offers masterful composition. Ray had a background in architecture and his work has a strong sense of geometry and space. Lit in that clean Hollywood style of the classic studio era, the Western was consciously made brighter than normal with a deeper palette. The consistent contrast and superb black levels are pitch-perfect for this material. Colors are crisply rendered.

This signature edition boasts one of the stronger 4K transfers on the market. A small touch of processing doesn’t affect the video’s inherent detail, leaving a beautifully film-like presentation loaded with high-frequency content. Some scenes project outstanding depth and dimension for any era, much less a 1954 production. This is must-see quality for vintage film lovers and a new reference standard for older Westerns.

Long-time readers of this thread should know where to find screenshots that help show how Johnny Guitar has turned out in this new 4K restoration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page