The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 793 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 477Likes
post #23761 of 23771 Unread 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Last of the Mohicans

I listened to this soundtrack so many times on my Velodyne Vpulses with Dragonfly Black USB while I sit at school and study... such an epic soundtrack forced me to actually watch this old movie. unfortunately the picture quality was not so good at all lol. Looks more like a DVD than a blu-ray, blurry and soft images with too much grain at times, however some scenes actually look quite sharp and relatively crisp.

Tier 3: Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23762 of 23771 Unread 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Last of the Mohicans

I listened to this soundtrack so many times on my Velodyne Vpulses with Dragonfly Black USB while I sit at school and study... such an epic soundtrack forced me to actually watch this old movie. unfortunately the picture quality was not so good at all lol. Looks more like a DVD than a blu-ray, blurry and soft images with too much grain at times, however some scenes actually look quite sharp and relatively crisp.

Tier 3: Bronze
If I remember correctly when it came out back in 2010, the video quality was mildly controversial. Some were unhappy with how murky the entire transfer appeared. I suspect it hasn't held up very well this many years later.

Happy Easter!
SnellTHX likes this.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
post #23763 of 23771 Unread 04-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
If I remember correctly when it came out back in 2010, the video quality was mildly controversial. Some were unhappy with how murky the entire transfer appeared. I suspect it hasn't held up very well this many years later.

Happy Easter!
Indeed. At best it was low silver but at worst I'd even say copper.

post #23764 of 23771 Unread 04-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Passengers

Holy moley what a disc! Saw this first in the shop I work in... We had the new Sony XE93 on display running this movie and I thought it looked jaw dropping. Very punchy 3-D like image quality with extremely deep colours (if not a bit unrealistic/over the top)

Had to get the BD and judge it on my own setup and WOW! Finally another reference disk for me. picture quality is razor sharp, a true 4K-DI that oozes details (those skin tones and facial textures!) Also a superb disk for showing off your set's black levels. Outer space is inky black as it should be, and great contrast is show throughout the ship. Scenes with the space suit outside of the ship are phenomenal as the extremely bright white LEDs of the suits stick out and almost burn your eyes due to the contrast of the absolute black blacks of space. interiors look fine and crisp, the water looks amazing!!

sound quality superb too. One of my favourite 2.35:1 movies for sure (I am a huge fan of taller formats like 1.85:1 and 1.78:1) as all my top reference PQ disks have <1.85:1 aspect ratio (Avatar, Life of Pi, The Dark Knight, Interstellar, Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, etc..) Not quite the same torture test of black levels as Gravity and not quite as good as Interstellar's IMAX 15/70mm scenes (but nothing really is), but other than that this is in my opinion a top blu ray thats blue tier !

Tier recommendation: 0*
post #23765 of 23771 Unread 04-21-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract is technically the 28th feature film from the DC Universe made by WB Animation over the past decade. If you have seen one of these animated features, you have a good sense of what its animation looks like in 1080P video on Blu-ray. Natively animated in 1080P resolution, the 1.78:1 presentation offers bold colors and decent character designs in vivid quality.

Running slightly longer than 84 minutes on a BD-50, the AVC encode does a satisfactory job of handling the clean animation. Its bright design is bolstered by perfect black levels and strong line art made with a program called DigiPaint.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
post #23766 of 23771 Unread 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Split

After nearly two weeks of "Blu-ray fasting," (due to a Missionary Trip out-of-country), I opted to rent M. Night Shyamalan's new thriller. The acting was superb (especially the male lead played by James McAvoy), with excellent pacing, character development, and on-the-edge-of-your-seat suspense.

The PQ was also topnotch, especially outdoor daytime scenes and interior scenes with good lighting. These scenes featured razor-sharp clarity that rivaled anything I've seen in 4K UHD (and this was a 1080p Blu-ray, mind you). Colors in those scenes were somewhat saturated and really popped. Details and depth were off-the-charts! Flesh tones were spot-on accurate. And last, but not least, black levels were exemplary.

Now for a few comments on the darker, interior scenes inside Kevin's lair. For the most part everything I noted above held up inside as well, but when there was poor lighting there was a loss of depth/details and fleeting instances of noise. Also, the black levels faltered at times (a case in point would be when one of the girls was trying to escape in a duct).

This is a hard call, for all the scenes with excellent lighting (see 2nd paragraph) were "Reference Quality." In fact, if the whole movie looked like those I would be nominating this for a place near the top of Tier 0. But most of the film took place inside Kevin's lair and at times the PQ dropped to low Tier 1 or even the top of Tier 2. In averaging things out I'm inclined to vote for...

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

Sony XBR75X940D...Philips BDP 7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Onkyo TX-NR717...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23767 of 23771 Unread 04-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Moana
Tier recommendation: *0, amazing, I was blown away by the colors, contrast and detail. That water was incredible. It looks so real. This disk is reference through and through. What could be improved in 4K UHD, well in the Theaters this used DCI P3 color space, so the Greens would be even more saturated and the reds would also be more saturated. Not sure why Disney is holding out on UHD, but I am sure one day, they will make the transition.
djoberg and fredxr2d2 like this.

Last edited by hungro; 04-26-2017 at 04:31 PM.
post #23768 of 23771 Unread 04-26-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Jurassic World

A lovely looking disc, it had a polished cinematic feel which you'd hope and expect for a modern, high budget release. Beautiful colours, depth and contrast helped the image to pop consistently. I wasn't disappointed!

Tier 0.75

Last edited by rusky_g; 04-26-2017 at 11:09 PM.
post #23769 of 23771 Unread 04-26-2017, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The Woman in Black

Bit of an older title but picked it up for a bargain hence the review.

Having flicked back through this thread two scores for this title both landed in Tier 3. I didn't think it was that bad although my recent viewing of Jurassic World reminded me of how good 'things can be'.

TWIB is a stark film with muted colours but that's fitting to the eerie theme. A bigger gripe is that it just lacked detail. Blacks could be good (night time swamp / car scene noted) but not always. Some indoor moments had excellent contrast and shadow detail but again it wasn't consistent.

Tier 2.5
post #23770 of 23771 Unread Today, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

La La Land

CHICK FLICK NIGHT!

My wife has been wanting to see this film ever since she saw the first trailer! I succumbed to her desires tonight. We will NOT be experiencing a "repeated viewing!"

The PQ was quite good, especially in any outdoor, daytime scenes or interior scenes with good lighting. COLORS were saturated and gorgeous. DETAILS were also a highlight in the same scenes, along with accurate FLESH TONES, strong CONTRAST, striking CLARITY, and appreciable DEPTH.

You may have noticed I said nothing about BLACK LEVELS. There were many night time scenes of L. A. and a good number of them were very good with pleasing SHADOW DETAILS. But there were also some dimly-lit scenes in jazz lounges where they faltered and the picture softened. Also, my "black bars" turned into "dark GRAY bars" in a several scenes and this always takes me out of the movie. My wife and I also noticed a scene at the 1 hour 31 minutes mark (in broad daylight at a yard party) where the picture was obviously out-of-focus as the cameraman panned the back yard.

I know the "experts" are calling this "reference material" and none seemed to notice the aforementioned anomalies, but I saw what I saw and thus I'm opting for a spot in Tier 1. Methinks it should end up right here....

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*

Sony XBR75X940D...Philips BDP 7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Onkyo TX-NR717...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23771 of 23771 Unread Today, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^^^^^^

I forgot to give a "shout out" for the audio track. I knew it was going to be good when Lionsgate introduced the "Dolby Atmos" soundtrack just before the movie started. WOW! That was one of the best "audio intros" I've ever heard (and I don't have Dolby Atmos yet but the Dolby TrueHD was incredible).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies