The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 793 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 473Likes
post #23761 of 23765 Unread 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Last of the Mohicans

I listened to this soundtrack so many times on my Velodyne Vpulses with Dragonfly Black USB while I sit at school and study... such an epic soundtrack forced me to actually watch this old movie. unfortunately the picture quality was not so good at all lol. Looks more like a DVD than a blu-ray, blurry and soft images with too much grain at times, however some scenes actually look quite sharp and relatively crisp.

Tier 3: Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23762 of 23765 Unread 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Last of the Mohicans

I listened to this soundtrack so many times on my Velodyne Vpulses with Dragonfly Black USB while I sit at school and study... such an epic soundtrack forced me to actually watch this old movie. unfortunately the picture quality was not so good at all lol. Looks more like a DVD than a blu-ray, blurry and soft images with too much grain at times, however some scenes actually look quite sharp and relatively crisp.

Tier 3: Bronze
If I remember correctly when it came out back in 2010, the video quality was mildly controversial. Some were unhappy with how murky the entire transfer appeared. I suspect it hasn't held up very well this many years later.

Happy Easter!

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
post #23763 of 23765 Unread 04-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
If I remember correctly when it came out back in 2010, the video quality was mildly controversial. Some were unhappy with how murky the entire transfer appeared. I suspect it hasn't held up very well this many years later.

Happy Easter!
Indeed. At best it was low silver but at worst I'd even say copper.

post #23764 of 23765 Unread 04-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Passengers

Holy moley what a disc! Saw this first in the shop I work in... We had the new Sony XE93 on display running this movie and I thought it looked jaw dropping. Very punchy 3-D like image quality with extremely deep colours (if not a bit unrealistic/over the top)

Had to get the BD and judge it on my own setup and WOW! Finally another reference disk for me. picture quality is razor sharp, a true 4K-DI that oozes details (those skin tones and facial textures!) Also a superb disk for showing off your set's black levels. Outer space is inky black as it should be, and great contrast is show throughout the ship. Scenes with the space suit outside of the ship are phenomenal as the extremely bright white LEDs of the suits stick out and almost burn your eyes due to the contrast of the absolute black blacks of space. interiors look fine and crisp, the water looks amazing!!

sound quality superb too. One of my favourite 2.35:1 movies for sure (I am a huge fan of taller formats like 1.85:1 and 1.78:1) as all my top reference PQ disks have <1.85:1 aspect ratio (Avatar, Life of Pi, The Dark Knight, Interstellar, Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, etc..) Not quite the same torture test of black levels as Gravity and not quite as good as Interstellar's IMAX 15/70mm scenes (but nothing really is), but other than that this is in my opinion a top blu ray thats blue tier !

Tier recommendation: 0*
post #23765 of 23765 Unread Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract is technically the 28th feature film from the DC Universe made by WB Animation over the past decade. If you have seen one of these animated features, you have a good sense of what its animation looks like in 1080P video on Blu-ray. Natively animated in 1080P resolution, the 1.78:1 presentation offers bold colors and decent character designs in vivid quality.

Running slightly longer than 84 minutes on a BD-50, the AVC encode does a satisfactory job of handling the clean animation. Its bright design is bolstered by perfect black levels and strong line art made with a program called DigiPaint.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies