The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 794 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 484Likes

post #23791 of 23811 Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
Heat, Director's Definitive Edition (Remastered)

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

I haven't seen the first Blu-ray release so I can't compare it to that. The color palate is somewhat muted but they are not washed out. Details are good with fabrics and faces well rendered. Contrast is good but black levels occasionally falter. The soundtrack really shines especially during the bank robbery and the final scene at the airport.
Thanks for weighing in on this - I'm hoping I'll have time for it on the weekend.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Marantz SR6011, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), Outlaw Model 5000, SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8080HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, 2 PM1000 for rears, and 4 AW5500 for Atmos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23792 of 23811 Old 05-13-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Burnt Offerings

recommendation: Tier 4.0*

The classic 1976 horror film receives a lackluster presentation. Licensed from MGM and put out by Kino Lorber, Burnt Offerings' soft lighting and gauzy cinematography turns out poorly in this pedestrian transfer. I would have loved to seen Arrow Video get this license and see what they could have done with a better 2K film scan.

The elements have incidental wear, their condition is perfectly acceptable. Some processing is evident, including halos in scattered moments. Definition is a minor improvement over earlier DVD attempts. Some fine detail seems to have been lost somewhere along the way. On the bright side, the AVC encode smoothly handles grain and rougher moments without artifacts. It's manifestly evident this was an older transfer that had been hanging around on a shelf.

Agatha Christie's The Witness For The Prosecution

recommendation: Tier 3.5*

Acorn Media put out this gripping mystery a couple of weeks back. Set in a bleak, post-war London drenched in atmosphere, this is an ugly movie. Originally airing on BBC just a few months ago, one could mistake it for having been filmed in the 1970s.

The drab palette and soft picture quality are unusual for a new production. This seems to have been a conscious creative choice by the director and cinematographer. The AVC encode has problems with the movie's darker moments, introducing banding and other compression issues.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
post #23793 of 23811 Old 05-14-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any word on when the tiers will be updated?

post #23794 of 23811 Old 05-14-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Any word on when the tiers will be updated?
It's time I finally address this issue since many use and rely on the PQ Tiers. I'm not sure how many have noticed but the main sticky thread hasn't been updated to reflect newer rankings since May 30th of last year. That means almost an entire year's worth of recommendations are in limbo at the moment.

Responsibility for the PQ Tiers has solely been mine since 2009, usually updating it 2-3 times per year. All recommendations from this thread are reflected in the PQ Tiers. Since traffic to this discussion thread has been less active the past year, I had planned a full update back in January for the first time since last May. It was around that time in January when I discovered the custom PQ Tiers database hosted by fellow forum member K-Spaz went offline sometime last summer.

He had hosted it for years on one of his servers when the site went down without notice. This represented thousands and thousands of entries in the PQ Tiers, all manually edited over the years by myself. It was what allowed me to generate the necessary "code" to post the PQ Tiers here on AVSforum in its familiar format.

As it stands now, there are few good options for me considering the time investment. Having been unable to reach K-Spaz, it appears that the entire PQ Tiers database is gone. The good news is that the sticky thread is still here with all past data. So some record of the data still exists, it just is in a much tougher form to edit and update.

But without the missing database and its custom script, the only solution for another update would be manually adding each entry directly on the forum. It's an arduous task, one that I haven't decided yet if I plan to go forward with more updates. One possible compromise would be manual updates to Tier 0, ignoring lower tiers. There are no easy answers to these problems.

I've been pushing off this decision for a few weeks and haven't made up my mind. I would like to do at least one more update for the past year's recommendations.

I am open to suggestions and input from others on these issues.

post #23795 of 23811 Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

But without the missing database and its custom script, the only solution for another update would be manually adding each entry directly on the forum. It's an arduous task, one that I haven't decided yet if I plan to go forward with more updates. One possible compromise would be manual updates to Tier 0, ignoring lower tiers. There are no easy answers to these problems.

I've been pushing off this decision for a few weeks and haven't made up my mind. I would like to do at least one more update for the past year's recommendations.

I am open to suggestions and input from others on these issues.
I think only updating Tier 0 would not upset any one. Let's face it, most are interested in the reference quality discs and there are still sites like blu-ray.com where everyone can go to get a rough idea of where a disc would place.

The work you put in is already time consuming and greatly appreciated, but I can't imagine you wasting time with those manual counts for all. That would be a bit ridiculous.
hungro likes this.

JVC DLA-RS600, 110" Stewart Cima Neve, Oppo UDP-203, TiVo Bolt, Denon X4300H
Dual Rythmik FV15HP, Energy Veritas Fronts and Surrounds, 4x RSL C34E for Atmos
post #23796 of 23811 Old 05-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I think only updating Tier 0 would not upset any one. Let's face it, most are interested in the reference quality discs and there are still sites like blu-ray.com where everyone can go to get a rough idea of where a disc would place.

The work you put in is already time consuming and greatly appreciated, but I can't imagine you wasting time with those manual counts for all. That would be a bit ridiculous.
Well said! +1
post #23797 of 23811 Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Clarifying things a little further for everyone, I'd probably move to full updates for future recommendations in both Tiers 0 and 1 going forward. Those tiers get the most attention.

I still hope to update every Tier for the past year's worth of recommendations at some point.

post #23798 of 23811 Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Quote:
Clarifying things a little further for everyone, I'd probably move to full updates for future recommendations in both Tiers 0 and 1 going forward. Those tiers get the most attention.

I still hope to update every Tier for the past year's worth of recommendations at some point.
I like your idea Phantom to include both Tiers 0 and 1! And I agree with tcramer that the work you do is "greatly appreciated."

Sony XBR75X940D...Philips BDP 7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Onkyo TX-NR717...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23799 of 23811 Old 05-16-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rings

We have yet another LOOKER here in the "horror genre." Now if they could only do something about the horrible CONTENT!

I'll keep this short. By far the most outstanding virtues were DETAILS and BLACK LEVELS. Close-ups of anything revealed fine details and texture, especially in faces and clothing. Clarity was also topnotch in daytime scenes and in most nighttime shots. There was a layer of grain (heavy at times) that might be taken as "noise" by some, but for the most part grain was light and pleasing.

The downside of this film was its color scheme. You've heard me complain often about color-grading with "orange/teal hues." Well, this one has "green hues." Yep, you heard me right...GREEN. Thankfully it didn't obscure details but it was bothersome at times. There were also a handful of shots where softness crept in.

Tier Recommendation: 1.5*
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Sony XBR75X940D...Philips BDP 7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Onkyo TX-NR717...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD

Last edited by djoberg; 05-17-2017 at 07:47 AM.
post #23800 of 23811 Old 05-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Get On Up

recommendation: Tier 0 (current placement)

PQ is excellent on all levels except for one or two fleeting shots where the contrast falters; concur with the placement and previous reviews.

OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #23801 of 23811 Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile

I concur...the top tiers are most important and really all I reference at this point. I do still like seeing everyone's posts on any releases here on this thread, but when I go to the Tiers post, I can't remember the last time I looked below Gold.

I've been really busy and very rarely post, but I try to at least skim this thread every week or so to keep up.

Thanks Phantom for all the work you do...and to all of the the contributors here!

Quote:

post #23802 of 23811 Old 05-18-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks everyone for the support.

A Street Cat Named Bob

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

This uplifting British movie is set in the cold, dreary streets of London for the most part. Shot on modern digital cameras, the fairly sharp picture offers a steady contrast and fine depth. This isn't flashy video quality but certainly looks nice enough for a new BD.

MVD Visual distributed this movie and their presentation is technically sound, receiving a solid AVC encode.

post #23803 of 23811 Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
San Andreas

This was a LOOKER, but not quite "Reference" material. The CGI was impressive, with solid definition, clarity and details in the midst of collapsing buildings, a tsunami, and tons of debris being swept along the streets of San Francisco. There were dozens of aerial shots of Los Angeles and San Francisco that showcased the amazing DETAILS and DEPTH of this Blockbuster. Close-ups did NOT disappoint, especially facial texture. Contrast was strong, though at times BLACK LEVELS weakened (most notably in interior and underwater scenes). FLESH TONES were pleasing. COLORS were somewhat muted, but when primaries rose to the occasion they were excellent. Finally, there was a very nice "film-like" look throughout. This should easily land in Tier 1...towards the top....

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*
Pretty much my thoughts Dj.
A very good disc which doesn't quite eclipse the Top Tier. Any aerial/cityscape shots looked great with some excellent detail but blacks were the weak link too often. That aside the good outweighed the bad by far and a Tier 1 placement is well deserved!

djoberg likes this.
post #23804 of 23811 Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky_g View Post
Pretty much my thoughts Dj.
A very good disc which doesn't quite eclipse the Top Tier. Any aerial/cityscape shots looked great with some excellent detail but blacks were the weak link too often. That aside the good outweighed the bad by far and a Tier 1 placement is well deserved!

Good thoughts Russ AND good to hear from you!

post #23805 of 23811 Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sing

Once again I will start out with the line...."Yet ANOTHER animated marvel!!" I believe I'm at the point where I can't really determine an exact spot in the Top Twenty, but this one surely deserves one. Colors....clarity....depth....inky blacks.....this one has them all!

One observation I can make...the UHD/HDR version took it up a notch, due to their elevated colors (courtesy of the Wide Color Gamut). Details were more finely-rendered as well and contrast was definitely stronger.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (somewhere in the Top 20)

PS The audio was spectacular!!

Last edited by djoberg; 05-19-2017 at 08:21 PM.
post #23806 of 23811 Old 05-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Sing

Once again I will start out with the line...."Yet ANOTHER animated marvel!!" I believe I'm at the point where I can't really determine an exact spot in the Top Twenty, but this one surely deserves one. Colors....clarity....depth....inky blacks.....this one has them all!

One observation I can make...the UHD/HDR version took it up a notch, due to their elevated colors (courtesy of the Wide Color Gamut). Details were more finely-rendered as well and contrast was definitely stronger.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (somewhere in the Top 20)

PS The audio was spectacular!!
I agree with this placement. It's been a little while since I watched it, but it is pretty standard for good animated video quality. The Atmos track on this one was also decent, but not much was sent to the overheads - there was a moment early in the film where a bunch of papers fly around the screen and they fly above you and around you quite nicely, however, the rest of the film keeps most of the singing in the base channels (so I don't think you missed much by not having Atmos, djoberg)

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Marantz SR6011, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), Outlaw Model 5000, SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8080HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, 2 PM1000 for rears, and 4 AW5500 for Atmos.
post #23807 of 23811 Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Vixen: The Movie

recommendation: Tier 2.0*

This new animated feature has a slightly different pedigree from other DC Comics' adaptations. Acting as a prequel of sorts for the Vixen character when she appeared on The CW's Arrow, this movie has been adapted from two seasons' worth of animated shorts that ran on CW Seed, the network's online platform.

The animation isn't that different from other DC releases by WB, though it's not quite as polished. The only problem here is banding, noticeable in the clean animation. Otherwise Vixen: The Movie looks fine with bright colors and sharp clarity.

post #23808 of 23811 Old 05-25-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Great Wall

This "underwhelming" Blockbuster (the movie was REALLY bad) had some "overwhelming" PQ!

I had heard nothing but praise on the PQ-front, so I wasn't surprised by the dazzling details, the vibrant colors, the inky blacks, and the razor-sharp clarity. On the negative side, there were some soft shots and a lack of depth during scenes with heavy CGI. Oh, and the color-grading (orange hues!) was over-the-top at times and wreaked havoc on flesh tones. But all things considered this was still "reference material," though I'm inclined to put it in the bottom of the bin.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 0* (towards the bottom...let's say .90)

PS If your audio system has real guts, you will be OVERWHELMED by the amazing bass (drum rolls, anyone?...and plenty of explosions), enveloping action in the surrounds (including MANY overhead), and crystal-clear dialogue in the center channel. All courtesy of a fantastic Dolby TrueHD soundtrack (I heard that the Dolby Amos track takes it up another notch).

Last edited by djoberg; Yesterday at 04:59 AM.
post #23809 of 23811 Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls OVA

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

Corpse Party offers standard traditional animation with a rather ordinary presentation. It lacks the vibrancy of better anime, muted in palette by its ghost themes.

This is the first anime BD I've seen from Maiden Japan and they seem to have done a fair job with this video. Nothing sticks out as inherently flawed in the transfer and the AVC encode holds up during darker scenes. I'm guessing the Blu-ray accurately represents the original source material fairly closely.

post #23810 of 23811 Old Today, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Last Vegas

This disc got some glowing PQ scores upon its release in 2014.

I couldn't see any reviews on here however.

It looked alright although to be honest this type of movie isn't my cup of tea when it comes to PQ as I tend to favour more subtle colour schemes.

In some places the PQ was good, namely most outdoor shots, in other places however it felt average. Colours were bright and punchy as you'd expect from the theme. Blacks were solid. Some interior shots felt a bit flat and in some places poor lighting robbed the image of any life. Detail was decent but not mind blowing.

Watching Jurassic World a few weeks ago reminded me of how good modern films could look. Sadly this just felt short for me.

Tier 2.25
post #23811 of 23811 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Starlight

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Starlight is a 2012 French movie recently put out by new label Cleopatra. Its nicely crisp picture quality resides comfortably in tier one with excellent texture and focused clarity. The technical transfer is flawless, this is a fine presentation of solid cinematography.

I hope everyone is enjoying this Memorial Day weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies