The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 795 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 490Likes

post #23821 of 23833 Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Juice

recommendation: Tier 2.25*

Paramount is back in the business of issuing their own catalog properties and one of the first efforts is this 25th anniversary edition for Juice. This is a nearly perfect film transfer for the 1992 production, receiving some of the best color correction I've seen lately. The film was never super-sharp but everything in the film elements have been brought out in crisp clarity. Improved contrast, solid black levels, appropriate saturation and fleshtones, Juice looks relatively great for its material.

Some things will be changing when the next PQ Tiers' update comes. Some issues have arisen using SuprSlow's account, so I will be re-creating the entire master list in a new thread. It shouldn't affect the content of them at all but everyone will have to change their bookmarks and links.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23822 of 23833 Old 06-08-2017, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Juice

...Some things will be changing when the next PQ Tiers' update comes. Some issues have arisen using SuprSlow's account, so I will be re-creating the entire master list in a new thread. It shouldn't affect the content of them at all but everyone will have to change their bookmarks and links.

Thanks for all the work you do. Have you decided on which tiers you will update?
post #23823 of 23833 Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid23 View Post
Thanks for all the work you do. Have you decided on which tiers you will update?
Depending on my schedule, I still have hope everything gets updated.

post #23824 of 23833 Old 06-10-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Agree with everything djoberg said about this film...opening and closing scenes are excellent with the middle part a little softer.

As for the sound... I only have a 5.1 setup and I swear there were sounds coming from the ceiling and even originating from the middle of the room, just spectacular and no other soundtrack has given my system such a workout. The LFE in the final action scene was reference and even better than Gravity.
djoberg and fredxr2d2 like this.

OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

Last edited by DarthDoxie; 06-11-2017 at 05:26 PM.
post #23825 of 23833 Old 06-11-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man of La Mancha

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Shout Factory licensed this from MGM and put it out a little over a month ago. The 1972 Arthur Hiller-directed musical gets an older HD transfer from serviceable film elements. Murky shadow delineation and soft grain reproduction mark this 1.85:1 presentation.

Its definition and clarity are what we've come to expect from an older MGM film that hasn't seen the benefit of a new restoration. Shout Factory encodes it in perfect AVC on a BD-50. A trace of sharpening is visible. The video is free of overt damage and wear, though better fine detail is limited to close-ups.

post #23826 of 23833 Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Steins; Gate: The Movie

Funimation finally got to put out this 2013 movie sequel to the beloved anime series earlier this year. The animation sticks very closely to the original series' look and aesthetic. Having previously ranked that series in Tier 2.0 some years ago, Tier 2.25 feels more correct for the movie. I suspect if I re-watched the original series it would fall a bit in the rankings.

There are some technical improvements. Banding was an issue on the original series. This is a much stronger AVC encode this time, averaging over 21 Mbps. It's a much smoother, slightly punchier presentation.

post #23827 of 23833 Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Son of Frankenstein

recommendation: Tier 3.0*

Good all around black and white film, the scene transitions are a little soft.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #23828 of 23833 Old 06-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
John Wick Chapter 2 - UHD w/HDR

Recommendation: Tier 0.75

The subject matter doesn't lend itself to scoring very highly in my opinion. The movie is ~75% low lit scenes with muted color palette. However, what is there is pristine. In the occasions where the additional color and brightness comes into play, this movie contains some of the best scenes I've ever seen. Black levels are solid through out, and details are solid being a 4k release.

About 3/4 thru the movie John Wick is fighting thru an art gallery with bright signs, lights, and a mirror room. During this approximately 15-20 minute scene, contrast of color and light skyrockets and would easily be one of my top 5 demos to show off.

If you happen to have a 4K tv and HDR capable, you won't be disappointed. I really hope this is how HDR is handled in more movies. Don't need searing brightness, give bright highlights with very deep blacks against multiple colors to show massive contrast. But on the other side, if the scene doesn't call for it, don't blow it out for no reason.
post #23829 of 23833 Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade

recommendation: Tier 1.0*

Little Witch Academia has absolutely gorgeous animation inspired by classic French and Disney animators. This flawless import set from Japan is a stunning showcase of traditional hand-drawn animation, particularly the first OVA. Theatrical animation would usually have 2000-3000 key frames for a movie of this length. The first Little Witch Academia OVA has around 17,000 key frames. That translates to some of the most fluid animation seen since the halcyon days of Walt Disney's early classics.

This is not a cheap Blu-ray set but it captures some of the finest hand-drawn animation to ever hit 1080P video.

post #23830 of 23833 Old Today, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Just a note to inform you that I'm still in the land of the living!

I rented John Wick 2 and Logan from Redbox today and plan to watch them tonight. Stay tuned!

Sony XBR75X940D...Philips BDP 7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Onkyo TX-NR717...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #23831 of 23833 Old Today, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was wondering if you had gone on one of your extended trips again. It's always good hearing you have more discs in the queue lined up for viewing.

Trespass

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

Shout Factory licensed this Bill Paxton and Ice-T actioner. This is a solid, no-frills presentation of the 1992 movie. It doesn't have stunning video quality but represents an adequate improvement in detail and definition over DVD.

The film elements are in great condition. The steady contrast is fine, if a bit lacking in extraordinary pop and warmth. Some mild filtering is possible. Grain reproduction is fairly average. The high-frequency content lacks that razor-sharp clarity and detail often seen in brand-new HD transfers.

post #23832 of 23833 Old Today, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quick question Phantom, currently (without having to update the entire list) looking at the votes, what are the top three PQ titles?
post #23833 of 23833 Old Today, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid23 View Post
Quick question Phantom, currently (without having to update the entire list) looking at the votes, what are the top three PQ titles?
That's a good question that I really don't have a quick answer for.

I've been currently grinding my way through the upcoming update but it's not even half done. There is progress being made, slowly but surely. Everyone will know once it's posted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies