The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 799 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 533Likes

post #23941 of 23949 Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindsay08 View Post
Thanks, it is an awesome thread, i am just getting my UHD setup going, although it is extremely modest and i'm not sure i'm qualified to review movies haha.
Good eyes and a working display are really the only qualifications for giving your opinion in this thread. Once you get the hang of it, contributing here is easy as pie. Hopefully we'll get more UHD scores.

Whale Rider

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

A solid effort by Shout Factory. The film transfer offers decent definition with fine clarity. A hint of ringing and a spot of noisy grain are the only real demerits to this presentation. It's probably not a brand-new film scan but everything looks in order for the 2002 movie.

The New Zealand production does have its visual moments along the coastline.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23942 of 23949 Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The Great Wall (UHD)

Recommendation: Tier 0.5*

Movie with a stretch of a plot that seemingly had the goal of hmmm that would look good/cool on screen. Armor is of various primary and secondary colors which comes across very rich in WCG. Plot gives reason to this by saying each color is a different troop unit. Details are rich and don't appear to be smoothed over with the possible exception of the lead actress' face. Having been to Japan this also seems to somewhat fall under the popular makeup style that's pervasive for the region. Lightens the skin and really smooth's out the face. Blacks are well maintained, and CGI holds up well. A couple fleeting shots that appeared to have heightened black levels, but due to how each set handles HDR curves differently I can't say for sure if it was my set's tone curve or the source. Due to this I am not going to ding this title harshly. Need to see more titles in general to get better understanding.

If looking for a fun flick that meets our general PQ criteria this title is worth a watch, just know what you're getting into with the plot before hand. (Martial Art warriors protect The Great Wall from Alien Species) Also, something about Matt Damon's accent in this threw me off. Couldn't place if it was a accent he was going in/out of, or he was trying to talk with a certain cadence that sometimes didn't happen.

Edit: Wanted to add that as Hollywood tries to capitalize on massive sales in China and surrounding region, these movies that mix 1 major Hollywood star with a cast of (presumably) famous Asian film stars together is going to keep growing. Hope that in future they can find better ways to do it, or leave out the white Hollywood actor and not rely on a thin plot reason for why they are present. The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise molded an entire movie around the idea, and made it work IMO, this film ehhhhh...... (I'll accept Matt Damon fine, but Willem Dafoe too???)

Have Despicable Me 1 & 2 in line, but waiting to get some software updates in the A/V chain so can watch in Dolby Vision.
djoberg and Phantom Stranger like this.

Last edited by JNayAV; 08-21-2017 at 07:13 AM.
post #23943 of 23949 Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
The Great Wall (UHD)

Recommendation: Tier 0.5*

Movie with a stretch of a plot that seemingly had the goal of hmmm that would look good/cool on screen. Armor is of various primary and secondary colors which comes across very rich in WCG. Plot gives reason to this by saying each color is a different troop unit. Details are rich and don't appear to be smoothed over with the possible exception of the lead actress' face. Having been to Japan this also seems to somewhat fall under the popular makeup style that's pervasive for the region. Lightens the skin and really smooth's out the face. Blacks are well maintained, and CGI holds up well. A couple fleeting shots that appeared to have heightened black levels, but due to how each set handles HDR curves differently I can't say for sure if it was my set's tone curve or the source. Due to this I am not going to ding this title harshly. Need to see more titles in general to get better understanding.

If looking for a fun flick that meets our general PQ criteria this title is worth a watch, just know what you're getting into with the plot before hand. (Martial Art warriors protect The Great Wall from Alien Species) Also, something about Matt Damon's accent in this threw me off. Couldn't place if it was a accent he was going in/out of, or he was trying to talk with a certain cadence that sometimes didn't happen.

Edit: Wanted to add that as Hollywood tries to capitalize on massive sales in China and surrounding region, these movies that mix 1 major Hollywood star with a cast of (presumably) famous Asian film stars together is going to keep growing. Hope that in future they can find better ways to do it, or leave out the white Hollywood actor and not rely on a thin plot reason for why they are present. The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise molded an entire movie around the idea, and made it work IMO, this film ehhhhh...... (I'll accept Matt Damon fine, but Willem Dafoe too???)

Have Despicable Me 1 & 2 in line, but waiting to get some software updates in the A/V chain so can watch in Dolby Vision.
Watched the 1080p blu of this and it is a very pretty movie with none of the teal/orange color grading that many US studio films seem to employ: colors were vibrant and clear and really quite wonderful. I was explaining to my parents how pretty it was while at the same time saying that I couldn't actually recommend the movie itself.

Matt Damon was attempting an Irish accent to very poor results.

I'd put the regular blu-ray in the same range: Tier 0 for sure, probably in the middle or towards the bottom.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Marantz SR6011, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), Outlaw Model 5000, SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8080HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, 2 PM1000 for rears, and 4 AW5500 for Atmos.

post #23944 of 23949 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 873
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought I would post my review of The Great Wall to show that a consensus is being formed giving this an easy Tier 0 placement, whether it's the UHD or 1080p version.

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion

I had said in a postscript that the UHD version would take it up a notch and that's exactly what JNayAV gave it. I also said that the Dolby Atmos track would also take the audio up a notch. I can't confirm that YET, but within a few days I will have my Dolby Atmos speaker system set up and then I'll check it out.

BTW, if anyone is thinking of going the Dolby Atmos route, I just upgraded my old Onkyo AVR to a Denon 9.2 channel AVR (which is coming in via UPS or FedEx tomorrow) and purchased SVS Prime Elevation speakers for a 5.1.4 set up. The Denon WAS $1499 but Amazon is now selling it at a close-out price for $799. The Denon is getting rave reviews so this is a STEAL! The SVS speakers are also getting excellent reviews and the thing that attracted me was that you can place them high on your side walls instead of having to mount them IN your ceiling. Of course you can buy "bounce ceiling" speakers but the word is that they can't compete with direct radiating speakers so again the SVS speakers are very attractive to me.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300h 9.2 channel AVR...Philips BDP 7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (4)...SVS PC12-NSD Sub
post #23945 of 23949 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Picking up Guardians 2 tonight, hoping it can combine the awesome visual spectacle of The Great Wall with a better movie.
post #23946 of 23949 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought I would post my review of The Great Wall to show that a consensus is being formed giving this an easy Tier 0 placement, whether it's the UHD or 1080p version.

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion

I had said in a postscript that the UHD version would take it up a notch and that's exactly what JNayAV gave it. I also said that the Dolby Atmos track would also take the audio up a notch. I can't confirm that YET, but within a few days I will have my Dolby Atmos speaker system set up and then I'll check it out.

BTW, if anyone is thinking of going the Dolby Atmos route, I just upgraded my old Onkyo AVR to a Denon 9.2 channel AVR (which is coming in via UPS or FedEx tomorrow) and purchased SVS Prime Elevation speakers for a 5.1.4 set up. The Denon WAS $1499 but Amazon is now selling it at a close-out price for $799. The Denon is getting rave reviews so this is a STEAL! The SVS speakers are also getting excellent reviews and the thing that attracted me was that you can place them high on your side walls instead of having to mount them IN your ceiling. Of course you can buy "bounce ceiling" speakers but the word is that they can't compete with direct radiating speakers so again the SVS speakers are very attractive to me.
That Denon receiver is tempting. I also saw a Marantz on sale that looked nice.

post #23947 of 23949 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
That Denon receiver is tempting. I also saw a Marantz on sale that looked nice.
I'm assuming you are referring to the RS-6011. The back of that AVR looks identical to my Denon 4300h that just arrived two hours ago. The only difference I see is the Denon is rated at 125 watts in each of the 9 channels and the Marantz is 110 watts per channel. I believe they are both manufactured by the same company.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300h 9.2 channel AVR...Philips BDP 7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (4)...SVS PC12-NSD Sub
post #23948 of 23949 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I'm assuming you are referring to the RS-6011. The back of that AVR looks identical to my Denon 4300h that just arrived two hours ago. The only difference I see is the Denon is rated at 125 watts in each of the 9 channels and the Marantz is 110 watts per channel. I believe they are both manufactured by the same company.
I've tended to like Marantz's sound a little better in the past than my Denons for music, though I realize both are owned now by the same conglomerate. I wasn't even in the market for a receiver but these deals are very good.

post #23949 of 23949 Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I've tended to like Marantz's sound a little better in the past than my Denons for music, though I realize both are owned now by the same conglomerate. I wasn't even in the market for a receiver but these deals are very good.
I'm really excited to hook up my Denon for I've been extremely limited with my non-4K Onkyo. I've had to run all of my 4K components directly to my Sony display and then run an Optical cable to the AVR, which, as you know, prevented me from listening to most of the newer audio codecs. Now I have 8 HDMI inputs that are all "Full 4K" compliant! The Denon also has Audyssey XT32 (which I've never had) so I'm looking forward to some very precise room/speaker correction. It will even balance 2 subs on top of the other 9 channels!!

I ended up buying Deepwater Horizon in 4K the other day because I heard it had one of the best Dolby Atmos tracks. I suspect I'll be wanting to watch MANY of my 4K Blu-rays over again, since 98% of them are Dolby Atmos. And the icing on the cake is the ability for watching "regular" Dolby TrueHD or DTS:MA in an "up-mixed" Dolby or DTS sound-field so all of the height speakers will receive audio signals. Some say this sounds just as good as Dolby Atmos on some releases.

Okay, I'll get off my "Dolby Atmos soapbox" now so we can return to regular broadcasting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page