The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 801 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 560Likes

post #24001 of 24005 Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I think we can pretty much just keep melting UHD and HD discs into one list... otherwise the separate UHD list would be small, and for me who has HDR/4K compatible TV but not yet upgraded to the entirety of the HDR/4K realm I find it interesting how they compare to 1080p SDR.

I guess this is living proof that 1080p/SDR --> 4K/HDR doesn't have as big of an impact as 480p --> 1080p had. I adopted to blu-ray standard the very first moment it came out back in 2006 and I never looked back. DVDs have been unwatchable for me since 2007.

In comparison today where I am still visually pleased with regular blu-ray. Pacific Rim and GOTG:V2 i.e. look f*cking incredible and I can't imagine how they're supposed to look any better
sickkent likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24002 of 24005 Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM

Moana

Okay this should not be a surprise for anyone. A Reference disk from start to finish. The blues of the ocean, the greens of the grass and the reds of the fire, every primary colour on point. Dark scenes reveal perfect black of OLED, contrast is infinite and not in anyway limited. Textures are clean and the image has that "3-D" depth that we've all come to love. I've said it before and I'll say it again; another animated movie that I swear has 3840x2140p pixels to its image as labelling it "2K" doesn't do justice to how sharp and crisp the image looks. Best animated movie I have seen so far, slightly edging out the already incredible reference; Kung Fu Panda 3.

Tier recommendation: 0 (top 5!)
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #24003 of 24005 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Renoir

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

This intimate French period drama is occasionally sumptuous with its photogenic locales. The cinematography is meant to evoke the renowned painter's art. Niche distributor Cinedigm put out this Blu-ray a few years back.

The 111-minute main feature receives an excellent, high-bitrate AVC encode on a BD-50. In most respects this has fine video quality with decent definition. Some unnatural yellow does creep into the flesh-tones. The transfer offers a pristine representation in sharp detail. There is no serious processing worth mentioning in the transfer.
IronWaffle likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)

post #24004 of 24005 Old Today, 10:10 AM

Transformers 5: The Last Knight

BEST.PICTURE.QUALITY.EVER!!!! Wow I don't even know where to start... It took me 5 years to find another top reference movie, finally a successor to the Life of Pi as ultimate "PQ King". PQ looked so good it was mind blowing. Infinite contrast from start to finish, with image clarity like no other movie.
The CGI in this movie is so good it literally puts Avatar to shame. The facial details are second to none, particularly the scene in Hopkins' mansion where the light from the window hits his face, or in the military bases where you saw close ups of officers' faces under powerful overhead lights in the foreground of a PITCH black background.
Superb depth and colour rendering throughout the entire movie, with virtuous vistas and gorgeous landscapes that left my jaw on the floor.

I heard this movie was filmed entirely by IMAX cameras - you definitely can tell after watching this movie.
Ultimately, even though Life of Pi, Pacific Rim, Avatar etc have been my overall top dogs, I always thought the IMAX 15/70 filmed scenes of Nolan movies were better, they appeared much sharper and life-like, as if they were super-resolution images (at 18,000 lines or ~ 200MP of celluloid 'resolution' they kind of are).

Scenes like the opening robbery and the bat-mobile chase in TDK or the opening plane-jack, Wall Street 'robbery', Bane fight or stadium explosion of TDK:R, or any of the 15/70mm scenes from Interstellar (the Water planet, the icey planet, the space visuals or when Cooper drives around the farm) are in my opinion better reference material than any other single scene of any other movie. The problem with Nolan movies is that while the IMAX 15/70 aka 1.78:1 shots looked like 10/10 top 3 material, the rest of the movies' are subpar. TDK had 30 minutes of glory, TDK:R had 60 minutes are Interstellar had around 70. the non-IMAX scenes which made up the rest of those movies were in my opinion Tier 1.75, 1.5 and 1.25 respectively.

Transformers: Last Knight on the other hand has that IMAX quality image for three hours straight. Its flawless. Not a grain or pixel insight. Shadow detail on point. The CGI didn't soften the razor sharp image in any way. The visual effects are exactly what you expect from a Transformers movie and more so.

Now I did notice the movie used several cameras and several formats. in my 100% lightproof pitch black room its almost impossible to see the black bars or the frame of my LG OLED, but I'm fairly certain there's three formats used: 1.85:1, 1.90:1 and 2.35:1 I'd say ±80% of the movie was filmed in the taller formats (as I have expressed previously I prefer 16:9 over 21:9) and the rest in the wider standard cinema format. I preferred the taller shots but unlike Nolan movies, the wide shots weren't heavily compromised. I feel the 1.90:1 shots were superior to the 2.35:1 shots but that could just be my bias and not actual fact. Even though I'm certain the 1.90:1 shots objectively looked better. (more crispy and detailed)

Anyway that's enough babling from me. I found this movie to have perfect picture quality and it presented what I've dreamt of since 2008, a full three hour feature filmed entirely by IMAX. Even though they supposedly used digital IMAX cameras at 'only' 6.5k (vs 18K equivalent of 15/70mm), its still the best overall I have ever seen. The only movie I can imagine will surpass this is Dunkirk (filmed 90% of its 100 min runtime with proper IMAX MSM9802 15/70mm camera), but these two I believe will remain at top for years.

Tier recommendation: 0 (#1!)*
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #24005 of 24005 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Great review, Snell. I hadn't been meaning to watch Transformers 5 but your recommendation has definitely put it on my radar.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page