The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 802 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 575Likes

post #24031 of 24045 Old 10-18-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Batman vs. Two-Face

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Some banding arises in the flatly-shaded colors of this new animated movie. The 72-minute main feature is encoded in an AVC encode that could have been expanded on the BD-25 without a problem. Adam West's final role as a voice actor, the video generally exhibits fine color saturation in excellent clarity.

Character designs and the line animation were a bit poorer than normal for DC's line of direct-to-video productions. There is enough eye candy for Tier One but one gets the feeling Batman vs. Two-Face was rushed through production after Adam West's untimely passing.
IronWaffle likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24032 of 24045 Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
a bit off-topic but I'm hoping someone here can answer this...what does a standard Blu-ray with an Atmos option default to if one does not have an Atmos setup?...I don't have an Atmos setup yet, was watching Skull Island on Blu-ray and it had an Atmos as well as a DTS-HD Master Audio option...when selecting Atmos my receiver showed it as DTS-HD MA but I thought I read someplace that Atmos automatically defaults to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for those that didn't have an Atmos setup...
post #24033 of 24045 Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Blade Runne was my harshest review ever, but I detest to film grain 99% of the time and the movie is filmed in unflattering environments. This wasn't the final cut version either. I'm sure the final cut looks a lot better, this was poorly made, even for 1982 in my opinion.

I have Max Mad (1979) on Blu-ray and to me Max Max looks superior, but not by much. I'd give it a Tier 3.5 rating, which is pretty much expected from a movie that came out in the 70s.

I also must stress that I do not give any bonus points for age. I rate 20,30,40 and 50 year old movies against the best of the best from 2017. I also have Terminator (1984) on blu-ray which I'd say is around tier 3.5 somewhere, so Bladerunner is actually highly comparable to what I'd give to movies in that era (late 70s - early 80s), but slightly worse than the two aforementioned action movies.

Last edited by SnellTHX; 10-19-2017 at 06:03 AM.

post #24034 of 24045 Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
a bit off-topic but I'm hoping someone here can answer this...what does a standard Blu-ray with an Atmos option default to if one does not have an Atmos setup?...I don't have an Atmos setup yet, was watching Skull Island on Blu-ray and it had an Atmos as well as a DTS-HD Master Audio option...when selecting Atmos my receiver showed it as DTS-HD MA but I thought I read someplace that Atmos automatically defaults to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for those that didn't have an Atmos setup...
There are a couple of disks (Skull Island and Lego Batman) that default to the DTS-HD MA soundtrack instead of the Atmos. If you select Atmos in the setup menu on the disk, it should then send the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track to your non-atmos receiver.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Marantz SR6011, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), Outlaw Model 5000, SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8080HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, 2 PM1000 for rears, and 4 AW5500 for Atmos.
post #24035 of 24045 Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
There are a couple of disks (Skull Island and Lego Batman) that default to the DTS-HD MA soundtrack instead of the Atmos. If you select Atmos in the setup menu on the disk, it should then send the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track to your non-atmos receiver.

I rented it from Netflix and don't have it anymore to test but I could have sworn I had selected the Atmos option in the Audio menu and it still output as DTS-HD MA...so all Atmos discs will default to Dolby TrueHD for those that don't have an Atmos receiver?
post #24036 of 24045 Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I rented it from Netflix and don't have it anymore to test but I could have sworn I had selected the Atmos option in the Audio menu and it still output as DTS-HD MA...so all Atmos discs will default to Dolby TrueHD for those that don't have an Atmos receiver?
The bottom line is this: It doesn't matter if you select Atmos in the audio menu; if you don't have an Atmos capable AVR (or if you have an Atmos capable AVR but it isn't set up for Atmos), it will always default to the audio mix that your AVR can decode. It's that simple!

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (4)...SVS PC12-NSD Sub
post #24037 of 24045 Old 10-19-2017, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage’s outstanding cinematography takes full advantage of shooting in the coastal landscapes of Ireland and Belgium. Set during the era of the Crusades, the panoramic compositions capture Ireland in excellent definition. This sharp Blu-ray presentation has a muted palette but exudes depth and dimension. The nearly perfect clarity offers appreciable levels of detail and texture in pristine imagery as the monks make their pilgrimage delivering a holy relic.

RLJ Entertainment has done fine work on this Blu-ray, fluidly translating Pilgrimage's digital intermediate into a polished 1080P presentation.

post #24038 of 24045 Old 10-21-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hey guys!

Curious on any thoughts on Baby Driver? My partner and i got a new tv yesterday, it's a downgrade from my old Panny but it's what the budget could do for now. It's a 4K Samsung MU6100, but we're still in the fine tuning stage with the set.

I've noticed a sliiiiiight bit of softness on some facial features -- we are watching the regular blu ray, as we haven't splurged on a 4k blu ray player yet, hopefully by black friday, and we did buy the 4k version of the movie.

I was so confused by that crazy soap opera effect stuff, but i did figure out at least how to turn that off, lol. I was pretty spoilt with my Panny lasting almost 9 years! I am going to desperately miss the black levels on that tv, though. I now have soooooo much to learn again about setting things up!

Hope you all have been well!!

~Kaye/aka g3!
djoberg and Phantom Stranger like this.
post #24039 of 24045 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl View Post
hey guys!

Curious on any thoughts on Baby Driver? My partner and i got a new tv yesterday, it's a downgrade from my old Panny but it's what the budget could do for now. It's a 4K Samsung MU6100, but we're still in the fine tuning stage with the set.

I've noticed a sliiiiiight bit of softness on some facial features -- we are watching the regular blu ray, as we haven't splurged on a 4k blu ray player yet, hopefully by black friday, and we did buy the 4k version of the movie.

I was so confused by that crazy soap opera effect stuff, but i did figure out at least how to turn that off, lol. I was pretty spoilt with my Panny lasting almost 9 years! I am going to desperately miss the black levels on that tv, though. I now have soooooo much to learn again about setting things up!

~Kaye/aka g3!
Welcome back, we've missed seeing you around these parts. It's always good when old friends return to the PQ Tiers. Nine years is pretty good considering the build quality of modern displays has been in decline. Make sure you update your bookmark for the latest version of the PQ Tiers list, which is now starting to include UHD (4K) discs as well.

Blu-ray & UHD Picture Quality Rankings: The PQ Tiers July 2017

I haven't seen Baby Driver yet but it's always possible a process they call defocusing in Hollywood is happening on the faces. In postproduction they will often digitally "smooth" the facial features of older stars, particularly name actresses. It's one of the secrets why Hollywood stars seem to defy the aging process on film. This is just a possibility, it could just be sloppy or rushed cinematography.

I'm sure someone here can provide more feedback after seeing Baby Driver.

post #24040 of 24045 Old Today, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
hey guys!

~Kaye/aka g3!
I watched Baby Driver UHD a little over a week ago but didn't get around to writing a review.
My initial thoughts were there wasn't any outstanding PQ features, or really any major flaws.

Being the UHD, resolution/clarity was still fairly good so my initial impression was around 1.0/1.25. If watching the regular Blu-ray I expect it'd fall in the 1.5/1.75 range.

It didn't look bad by any means, but being UHD and with how newer titles from major studios seem to be consistently falling in Tier 0 recently it was a bit disappointing. Maybe this was desired PQ direction to somewhat match tone of the film? This may have been why just didn't have the desire to put in a PQ rating. It's not exciting enough to warrant PQ demo, but no real issues that would cause someone to turn away.

Movie itself was good and has a good soundtrack as has been mentioned elsewhere. Don't know if it has re-watch potential for me, but would suggest it as a solid rental.
geekyglassesgirl likes this.
post #24041 of 24045 Old Today, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage’s outstanding cinematography takes full advantage of shooting in the coastal landscapes of Ireland and Belgium. Set during the era of the Crusades, the panoramic compositions capture Ireland in excellent definition. This sharp Blu-ray presentation has a muted palette but exudes depth and dimension. The nearly perfect clarity offers appreciable levels of detail and texture in pristine imagery as the monks make their pilgrimage delivering a holy relic.

RLJ Entertainment has done fine work on this Blu-ray, fluidly translating Pilgrimage's digital intermediate into a polished 1080P presentation.
Curious of what you thought of the movie phantom? Over on Do-Blu it got a very solid review, then reading around the webs reviews are middling.
post #24042 of 24045 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
Curious of what you thought of the movie phantom? Over on Do-Blu it got a very solid review, then reading around the webs reviews are middling.
It's a stark examination of faith and religious devotion, and what they mean, during the Crusades, as monks cross Ireland carrying a holy relic. They encounter treacherous soldiers and pagans along the way that derail the mission. There is enough action and potential intrigue to keep things interesting. Tom Holland of Spider-Man fame is very good in it. Pilgrimage questions the morality of Crusading within the context of Christianity without disrespecting the faith.

I don't think Pilgrimage is for everyone but it certainly offers well-developed characters in a believable historical perspective.

post #24043 of 24045 Old Today, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
hey guys!

~Kaye/aka g3!
Kaye (3G),

So, where have you been for the last 6 years?!

It is good to hear from you and that you're getting back into watching Blu-rays. As you implied, a LOT has happened since you were posting on this thread, especially with UHD/HDR Blu-rays hitting the market. I can totally relate you you missing your Panny plasma, for as you can see I know longer have my Pioneer plasma (my oldest daughter and her family have it). I too was spoiled by the Kuro's Black Levels, but it's amazing how far LCD technology has come. My Sony 940D has amazing blacks, with the exception of "light bleeding" into the black bars in some scenes when watching letter-boxed movies.

I remember you had some real trials with a child being sick "back in the day." How is he/she doing? (Feel free to correct me on this if memory isn't serving me well.)

Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to hear from you and I hope we hear more from you.

Denny
PS I haven't seen Baby Driver so I can't comment on that. It doesn't sound like one I want to invest in either and I can't rent the UHD version, but someday I may rent the 1080p release.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (4)...SVS PC12-NSD Sub

Last edited by djoberg; Today at 05:45 PM.
post #24044 of 24045 Old Today, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Kaye (3G),

So, where have you been for the last 6 years?!

It is good to hear from you and that you're getting back into watching Blu-rays. As you implied, a LOT has happened since you were posting on this thread, especially with UHD/HDR Blu-rays hitting the market. I can totally relate you you missing your Panny plasma, for as you can see I know longer have my Pioneer plasma (my oldest daughter and her family have it). I too was spoiled by the Kuro's Black Levels, but it's amazing how far LCD technology has come. My Sony 940D has amazing blacks, with the exception of "light bleeding" into the black bars in some scenes when watching letter-boxed movies.

I remember you had some real trials with a child being sick "back in the day." How is he/she doing? (Feel free to correct me on this if memory isn't serving me well.)

Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to hear from you and I hope we hear more from you.

Denny
PS I haven't seen Baby Driver so I can't comment on that. It doesn't sound like one I want to invest in either and I can't rent the UHD version, but someday I may rent the 1080p release.
Life got a little crazy, and I honestly craft a bit too much to do proper PQ ratings, so I fell off the planet so to speak! But I'm getting better at not looking while I craft these days so once I figure out the settings on our new set, maybe I'll toss my hat into the rankings ring again, once I get a feel for how things are!!

I haven't fully retired my Panny, for the moment i am having trouble parting with it, but the blue... gas... thing that's going on with it just was becoming unbearable. We would like to upgrade to a better set when we can afford to, but for now we settled for a mid/low range Samsung UN58MU6100. It just arrived late last week, and then yesterday we decided to splurge on an xbox one s, so we can play the UHD's that my partner has been getting. Thanks to the PQ list I really want to get a copy of Planet Earth II. I'm not sure if the set up would be Rankings-worthy but I like to think y'all appreciated my POV on some things at times!

As for where i've been, my older son is the sick child you're remembering (I have 3 total, my daughter is the oldest at 14, my older son is 12 and my younger son is 4). He's highly special needs and has lots of medical issues, but he's a strong little guy in spite of his issues. Got divorced a couple of years ago, but importantly I got to keep the house, the kids, and the tech. LOL. Younger son is finally in school, so things are calming. I've actually popped back in to the thread a few times through the years, but didn't want to bug ya'll.

I'd like to get some proper calibration equipment in the near future to help set up the TV but after the initial HOW DO I TURN THAT OFF??? freak out of the crazy Soap Opera Effect thing that for some reason comes on tv's these days, so far I'm pretty happy with the TV we picked for our "in between the Panny and before we can afford Something Kickass" set.

I will mourn the black levels forever, though... oh my. I know it was not a Kuro but it was still pretty damn good. I suppose I should be thankful it lasted almost 9 full years. It's been moved for now to my bedroom dresser... now THAT is a bit insane, LOL!!

Keep up the good work, and I hope that this time I won't fall off the grid for as long.

We started to watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 on UHD for our first viewing on the xbox one s last night and wow... I'm worried that my "wow" factor, though, could be because my Panny's been failing for at least a year and I've gotten used to such a bad PQ that maybe even mediocre will impress me for the moment. I suppose I could cleanse my palate with some low tier content, though....
post #24045 of 24045 Old Today, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
I watched Baby Driver UHD a little over a week ago but didn't get around to writing a review.
My initial thoughts were there wasn't any outstanding PQ features, or really any major flaws.

Being the UHD, resolution/clarity was still fairly good so my initial impression was around 1.0/1.25. If watching the regular Blu-ray I expect it'd fall in the 1.5/1.75 range.

It didn't look bad by any means, but being UHD and with how newer titles from major studios seem to be consistently falling in Tier 0 recently it was a bit disappointing. Maybe this was desired PQ direction to somewhat match tone of the film? This may have been why just didn't have the desire to put in a PQ rating. It's not exciting enough to warrant PQ demo, but no real issues that would cause someone to turn away.

Movie itself was good and has a good soundtrack as has been mentioned elsewhere. Don't know if it has re-watch potential for me, but would suggest it as a solid rental.
I am thinking by this weekend we will likely re-watch the movie, but the UHD version. I'm really curious if I will notice any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page