The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 802 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 573Likes

post #24031 of 24039 Old 10-18-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Batman vs. Two-Face

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Some banding arises in the flatly-shaded colors of this new animated movie. The 72-minute main feature is encoded in an AVC encode that could have been expanded on the BD-25 without a problem. Adam West's final role as a voice actor, the video generally exhibits fine color saturation in excellent clarity.

Character designs and the line animation were a bit poorer than normal for DC's line of direct-to-video productions. There is enough eye candy for Tier One but one gets the feeling Batman vs. Two-Face was rushed through production after Adam West's untimely passing.
IronWaffle likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24032 of 24039 Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
a bit off-topic but I'm hoping someone here can answer this...what does a standard Blu-ray with an Atmos option default to if one does not have an Atmos setup?...I don't have an Atmos setup yet, was watching Skull Island on Blu-ray and it had an Atmos as well as a DTS-HD Master Audio option...when selecting Atmos my receiver showed it as DTS-HD MA but I thought I read someplace that Atmos automatically defaults to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for those that didn't have an Atmos setup...
post #24033 of 24039 Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Blade Runne was my harshest review ever, but I detest to film grain 99% of the time and the movie is filmed in unflattering environments. This wasn't the final cut version either. I'm sure the final cut looks a lot better, this was poorly made, even for 1982 in my opinion.

I have Max Mad (1979) on Blu-ray and to me Max Max looks superior, but not by much. I'd give it a Tier 3.5 rating, which is pretty much expected from a movie that came out in the 70s.

I also must stress that I do not give any bonus points for age. I rate 20,30,40 and 50 year old movies against the best of the best from 2017. I also have Terminator (1984) on blu-ray which I'd say is around tier 3.5 somewhere, so Bladerunner is actually highly comparable to what I'd give to movies in that era (late 70s - early 80s), but slightly worse than the two aforementioned action movies.

Last edited by SnellTHX; 10-19-2017 at 06:03 AM.

post #24034 of 24039 Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
a bit off-topic but I'm hoping someone here can answer this...what does a standard Blu-ray with an Atmos option default to if one does not have an Atmos setup?...I don't have an Atmos setup yet, was watching Skull Island on Blu-ray and it had an Atmos as well as a DTS-HD Master Audio option...when selecting Atmos my receiver showed it as DTS-HD MA but I thought I read someplace that Atmos automatically defaults to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for those that didn't have an Atmos setup...
There are a couple of disks (Skull Island and Lego Batman) that default to the DTS-HD MA soundtrack instead of the Atmos. If you select Atmos in the setup menu on the disk, it should then send the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track to your non-atmos receiver.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Marantz SR6011, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), Outlaw Model 5000, SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8080HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, 2 PM1000 for rears, and 4 AW5500 for Atmos.
post #24035 of 24039 Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
There are a couple of disks (Skull Island and Lego Batman) that default to the DTS-HD MA soundtrack instead of the Atmos. If you select Atmos in the setup menu on the disk, it should then send the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track to your non-atmos receiver.

I rented it from Netflix and don't have it anymore to test but I could have sworn I had selected the Atmos option in the Audio menu and it still output as DTS-HD MA...so all Atmos discs will default to Dolby TrueHD for those that don't have an Atmos receiver?
post #24036 of 24039 Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I rented it from Netflix and don't have it anymore to test but I could have sworn I had selected the Atmos option in the Audio menu and it still output as DTS-HD MA...so all Atmos discs will default to Dolby TrueHD for those that don't have an Atmos receiver?
The bottom line is this: It doesn't matter if you select Atmos in the audio menu; if you don't have an Atmos capable AVR (or if you have an Atmos capable AVR but it isn't set up for Atmos), it will always default to the audio mix that your AVR can decode. It's that simple!

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Sennheiser HD 570...Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One Remote

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS Prime Elevation Speakers (4)...SVS PC12-NSD Sub
post #24037 of 24039 Old 10-19-2017, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pilgrimage

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

Pilgrimage’s outstanding cinematography takes full advantage of shooting in the coastal landscapes of Ireland and Belgium. Set during the era of the Crusades, the panoramic compositions capture Ireland in excellent definition. This sharp Blu-ray presentation has a muted palette but exudes depth and dimension. The nearly perfect clarity offers appreciable levels of detail and texture in pristine imagery as the monks make their pilgrimage delivering a holy relic.

RLJ Entertainment has done fine work on this Blu-ray, fluidly translating Pilgrimage's digital intermediate into a polished 1080P presentation.

post #24038 of 24039 Old 10-21-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys!

Curious on any thoughts on Baby Driver? My partner and i got a new tv yesterday, it's a downgrade from my old Panny but it's what the budget could do for now. It's a 4K Samsung MU6100, but we're still in the fine tuning stage with the set.

I've noticed a sliiiiiight bit of softness on some facial features -- we are watching the regular blu ray, as we haven't splurged on a 4k blu ray player yet, hopefully by black friday, and we did buy the 4k version of the movie.

I was so confused by that crazy soap opera effect stuff, but i did figure out at least how to turn that off, lol. I was pretty spoilt with my Panny lasting almost 9 years! I am going to desperately miss the black levels on that tv, though. I now have soooooo much to learn again about setting things up!

Hope you all have been well!!

~Kaye/aka g3!
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #24039 of 24039 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl View Post
hey guys!

Curious on any thoughts on Baby Driver? My partner and i got a new tv yesterday, it's a downgrade from my old Panny but it's what the budget could do for now. It's a 4K Samsung MU6100, but we're still in the fine tuning stage with the set.

I've noticed a sliiiiiight bit of softness on some facial features -- we are watching the regular blu ray, as we haven't splurged on a 4k blu ray player yet, hopefully by black friday, and we did buy the 4k version of the movie.

I was so confused by that crazy soap opera effect stuff, but i did figure out at least how to turn that off, lol. I was pretty spoilt with my Panny lasting almost 9 years! I am going to desperately miss the black levels on that tv, though. I now have soooooo much to learn again about setting things up!

Hope you all have been well!!

~Kaye/aka g3!
Welcome back, we've missed seeing you around these parts. It's always good when old friends return to the PQ Tiers. Nine years is pretty good considering the build quality of modern displays has been in decline. Make sure you update your bookmark for the latest version of the PQ Tiers list, which is now starting to include UHD (4K) discs as well.

Blu-ray & UHD Picture Quality Rankings: The PQ Tiers July 2017

I haven't seen Baby Driver yet but it's always possible a process they call defocusing in Hollywood is happening on the faces. In postproduction they will often digitally "smooth" the facial features of older stars, particularly name actresses. It's one of the secrets why Hollywood stars seem to defy the aging process on film. This is just a possibility, it could just be sloppy or rushed cinematography.

I'm sure someone here can provide more feedback after seeing Baby Driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
High Definition , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page