AVS Forum banner

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion

4M views 27K replies 1K participants last post by  Phantom Stranger 
#1 ·
See less See more
Reactions: Phantom Stranger
#22,241 ·
I should have mentioned that LG's 55" OLED is NOT 4K, but they do have a 65" OLED 4K selling currently for $9,999 at Amazon. Prices will surely drop significantly in the next year or two and I am hoping the 4k 77" they will be marketing will come down to an affordable price at some point.

Reviews, by Sound & Vision and others, are saying the LG OLED is BY FAR the best flat panel they've ever seen, with blacks that are COMPLETELY black, contrast that is off the charts, and unrivaled colors. Their 4K offerings at the recent CES were praised highly. The only "unknown" with OLED is its longevity. We know plasmas and LEDs have a very long lifespan but how long will an OLED display last? That's the $64,000 question looming on the horizon.

I should mention one more thing. We are hearing a lot these days about HDR....High Dynamic Range, with unbelievable bright displays due to unheard of contrast levels. That too is something I hope the OLED displays will incorporate into their technology, for as great as the LG OLED is in the contrast department, it pales in comparison to those with HDR.

#22,244 ·
...I've contemplated having a battle royale of the very best in this thread for better, more exacting rankings in Tier Zero (Blu). Something like the top twenty square off and let members here vote on the winners. Is there any interest in that idea as a one-time deal?
Suggest breaking the top-PQ Blu Tier (maybe others) into animated versus camera-shot movies, then. While thread has been PQ-only, I'd prefer distinguishing between (mostly) computer-crafted images and others, even though images can be a blend. -- John

#22,245 ·
Suggest breaking the top-PQ Blu Tier (maybe others) into animated versus camera-shot movies, then. While thread has been PQ-only, I'd prefer distinguishing between (mostly) computer-crafted images and others, even though images can be a blend. -- John
This is a couple of years old by now so it doesn't contain the latest updates, but I did just that in these two posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...read-blu-ray-discussion-505.html#post23061068

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...read-blu-ray-discussion-505.html#post23061125

If I find the time, I could possibly update those lists and tack them on the bottom of the current Tiers. I've thought about color coding Tier Zero titles to differentiate between animation and live-action, but I am worried it would become an unreadable mess. I've always believed Tier Zero drove a lot of the traffic checking out the PQ Tiers.

For those into nostalgia, here was the last update to the PQ Tiers before it became so large we had to start alphabetizing each tier below 0. That means the entire list was ranked in absolute visual order from top to bottom! September 26, 2008:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...read-blu-ray-sept-26-2008-a.html#user_anchor0

#22,247 ·
The Equalizer

A sterling disc from Sony which offers razor sharp PQ, fantastic blacks and shadow detail, rounded off with excellent dimensionality. I couldn't really find much fault.

I think 2015 will be a great year for the PQ Tiers!

Tier 0.75
I agree with this placement.

#22,249 ·
I agree with this placement.
Letting everyone know that posts like this one still get counted in the final tally. I presume fredxr2d2 feels The Equalizer belongs around three-quarters of the way down in Tier Zero, which is why I count them.

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

recommendation: Tier 2.5*

After briefly flirting with better compression parameters once they fully committed to AVC as their codec of choice, Warner Bros. in the past year continues their downward path back to the gutter. If people don't understand the process, most video encodes outside of the biggest new blockbusters released by the studios are left unchecked by human operators. That is fine when compression bitrates average in the 30s, as Paramount and Fox decided a few years ago. Likely due to cost cutting, they decided by fiat to lower compression rates on their Blu-rays. This disc went terribly wrong, the animation's generally shoddy quality is not helped by mediocre compression full of banding and even chroma noise.

Throne of Atlantis' animation itself is the worst-looking direct-to-video DC film yet. It is fairly clear to me either the animation budget has been slashed or they need to switch animation houses. For movies that were once touching on Tier Zero, the declining video quality is disappointing.

#22,250 ·
Thanks Phantom! That is exactly what I meant and what I hoped you would count.

#22,251 ·
Paranoia

If you can put up with the rather disappointing plot/story-line and underwhelming acting (from some BIG NAME actors, mind you), you will at least be rewarded with some very pleasing EYE CANDY!

I'm going to keep this short. This one was SHARP from the opening scene to the rolling credits, with outstanding BLACK LEVELS & SHADOW DETAILS, spot-on FLESH TONES, warm & vibrant COLORS, appreciable DEPTH, and spectacular DETAILS. It also featured many gorgeous aerial views of the Big Apple and some lush scenery in the Hamptons. The only censure would be the "to-be-expected" orange and teal hues, but in reality they were quite minimal and did NOT affect details or flesh tones. If the facial details had been consistently good, I might have opted for low Tier 0, but they weren't reference quality and even veered into Tier 2 at times, so my vote goes for....

Tier Recommendation: 1.25*

Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....
Really enjoyed the PQ here

Tier 1.5

#22,252 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

As far as TV tech goes I agree with much that has been said, and I too am excited about the prospects of 4k OLED as I am still not impressed with LED/LCD.

I will squeeze plenty more out of my Panny Plasma before prices on a 80 plus inch OLED drop to affordable prices. I think its silly to buy a 4k LED right now and I would confidently put my ST60 up against any of them for pure PQ.

I also am not in any rush to upgrade to 4k until the ultra hd blurays are available and the displays can take FULL advantage of the format including increased color space and HDR, etc. Although HFR (high frame rate) does not interest me much.

#22,253 ·
That sounds very sensible, wattheF. I will likely stall on the 4K transition until everything is worked out.

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby (Them Version)

recommendation: Tier 1.75*

This new release features very mature, sophisticated cinematography. It is definitely Oscar bait in terms of craft, including a very precise color timing that subtly changes depending on the character. The scope composition is elegantly shot with excellent definition and depth.

Distributed by Starz for the Weinstein Company, the two-hour film is given most of a BD-50 in a nearly flawless AVC video encode. The transfer is perfect, lacking deleterious video processing such as edge enhancement. This is crisp picture quality with a darker contrast.

#22,255 ·
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

As far as TV tech goes I agree with much that has been said, and I too am excited about the prospects of 4k OLED as I am still not impressed with LED/LCD.

I will squeeze plenty more out of my Panny Plasma before prices on a 80 plus inch OLED drop to affordable prices. I think its silly to buy a 4k LED right now and I would confidently put my ST60 up against any of them for pure PQ.

I also am not in any rush to upgrade to 4k until the ultra hd blurays are available and the displays can take FULL advantage of the format including increased color space and HDR, etc. Although HFR (high frame rate) does not interest me much.
I too am not that impressed with LED/LCD and I have two of them. We have a 4-year old Samsung LCD that was "high-end" back then with fairly good black levels and a really good "Natural Mode" that looks good "out of the box." But it still has the same "off-axis" issue as most LCDs. We just bought a Vizio M-Series that has FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) and we are truly impressed with the deep blacks, but again, one can't watch it "off-axis" without suffering a huge loss of brightness. I was just in Best Buy yesterday and viewed the newest 4K LEDs from Sony and Samsung and even with a "curved" screen you still have that same issue.

I trust I will "squeeze plenty more out of my Pioneer KURO plasma" too before an 80" 4K OLED drops to affordable prices. I just hope LG will continue to develop and make OLEDs and I'm even hoping Sony and Samsung (and others) will reconsider their decision to drop that technology. If they don't, LG may be much slower in dropping their prices without any competition in that field.

And lastly, I sure hope Ultrad HD Blu-rays see the light of day (as opposed to being limited to streaming everything we view) and that they will include the increased color space and HDR.

#22,256 ·
Has anyone seen Fury yet?

#22,258 ·
I saw Fury and it's a darn good movie. I watched it on my projector setup which is makes a bit hard to grade the PQ, but overall it was pretty good. Has a bit of that Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers look to it, only a bit better overall.
Thanks! I can't wait to see it but I'm waiting for a copy to be made available to rent in our local video store. I've heard "mixed" reviews regarding the PQ, mostly "good" reviews regarding the movie, and "excellent" reviews regarding the AQ.

#22,259 ·
Thanks! I can't wait to see it but I'm waiting for a copy to be made available to rent in our local video store. I've heard "mixed" reviews regarding the PQ, mostly "good" reviews regarding the movie, and "excellent" reviews regarding the AQ.
I'd concur with those reviews you've heard. AQ is good throughout, there are some very nice outdoor shots but some very poor shots from inside the tank.

#22,260 ·
Something like this you mean...

bb nf Get On Up Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Universal
bb nf The Smurfs 2 Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Sony
bb nf Avatar Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Fox
bb nf Avatar (Extended Collector's Edition) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Fox
bb nf A Christmas Carol (2009) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf Black Sails: The Complete First Season Video: AVC | Audio: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Starz / Anchor Bay
bb nf Life Of Pi Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Fox
bb nf The Thin Red Line Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Criterion
bb nf Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear Video: AVC | Audio: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Millennium Media
bb nf Tai Chi Zero Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Well Go USA
bb nf I, Robot Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Fox
bb nf Master, The (2012) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Weinstein
bb nf Hello, Dolly! Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.20:1 | Fox
bb nf Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.35:1 | Disney
bb nf Rescue 3D Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Image Entertainment | IMAX
bb nf A Serious Man Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Universal
bb nf Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf Samsara Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | MPI
bb nf Boss: Season One Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Lionsgate
bb nf Tree Of Life, The Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 1.85:1 | Fox
bb nf Hugo Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Paramount
bb nf Man on Fire Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Fox
bb nf Arabia 3D (IMAX) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Image Entertainment
bb nf Lone Survivor Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Universal
bb nf The Art Of Flight Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD 7.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Red Bull Media House
bb nf The Host Video: VC-1 | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.85:1 | Magnolia
bb nf Live Free or Die Hard Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Fox
bb nf Tell No One Video: VC-1 | Audio: PCM 2.0 | AR: 2.35:1 | MPI Media
bb nf Sin City Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Disney
bb nf Company Men, The Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Starz / Anchor Bay
bb nf Mary And Max Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | MPI Media
bb nf The Three Musketeers (2011) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Summit Entertainment
bb nf Youth Without Youth Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | Sony
bb nf Hot Fuzz Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Universal
bb nf The International Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
bb nf Becoming Jane Video: VC-1 | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.35:1 | Disney
bb nf Pina (French Import) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | France Télévisions Dis. | Region B only?
bb nf Red Cliff: The Special Edition (UK Import) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Entertainment In Video | Parts I & II
bb nf Bait Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD 7.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Starz / Anchor Bay
bb nf Skyfall Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Fox
bb nf Watchmen: Director's Cut (UK Import) Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Paramount
bb nf Grand Canyon Adventure: River At Risk (IMAX 3-D Edition) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Image Entertainment
bb nf Transporter 2 (Japan Import) Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | Sony
bb nf The Help Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Disney
bb nf Corpse Bride Video: VC-1 | Audio: DD | AR: 1.85:1 | Warner
bb nf Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Disney
bb nf In Time Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Fox
bb nf The Ultimate Wave: Tahiti (IMAX) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Image Entertainment
bb nf Grand Canyon Adventure: River At Risk (IMAX) Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Image Entertainment
bb nf Noah Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 1.85:1 | Paramount
bb nf Wolf Creek 2 Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Image Entertainment
bb nf Transporter 3 Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Lionsgate
bb nf Agora (French Import) Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | Warner | locked to Region B
bb nf Born To Be Wild (IMAX) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Warner
bb nf Baraka Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.20:1 | MPI Media
bb nf A Woman, A Gun and A Noodle Shop Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
bb nf Lonely Hearts (Japan Import) Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | Sony
bb nf Tokyo Motor Show Video: MPEG-2 | Audio: DD 2.0 | AR: 1.78:1 | Topics Entertainment | 1080i
bb nf Real Steel Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.35:1 | Disney
bb nf Transformers: Age of Extinction Video: AVC | Audio: Dolby Atmos | AR: 2.40:1 | Paramount
bb nf Braveheart Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | Paramount
bb nf Crank 2: High Voltage Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 1.85:1 | Lionsgate
bb nf The Ides Of March Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
bb nf Fighting Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Universal
bb nf Hobbit, The: An Unexpected Journey Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner
bb nf The Smurfs Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Sony
bb nf Watchmen: Theatrical Version (UK Import) Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.39:1 | Paramount
bb nf Gamer Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 1.85:1 | Lionsgate
bb nf I Spit On Your Grave (2010) Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | Starz / Anchor Bay
bb nf Lawrence of Arabia Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2:19:1 | Sony
bb nf Sabotage Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Universal
bb nf Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf The Island Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Paramount
bb nf Red Cliff: Part I Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Magnolia
bb nf Red Cliff: Part II Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Magnolia
bb nf Patton (remaster) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2:19:1 | Fox | 2012 version with new transfer
bb nf Immortals Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Fox
bb nf King Kong (2005) Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Universal
bb nf Sex Drive Video: AVC | Audio: DD 5.1 | AR: 1.78:1 | Summit Entertainment
bb nf Domino Video: VC-1 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner
bb nf Rushmore Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Criterion
bb nf Spartacus: Blood And Sand - Season 1 Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 1.78:1 | Starz / Anchor Bay
bb nf Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen (IMAX) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: mixed | Paramount
bb nf Gravity Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner
bb nf Transformers: Dark of the Moon Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Paramount
bb nf Need for Speed Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner
bb nf Hobbit, The: An Unexpected Journey (Extended Edition) Video: AVC | Audio: 7.1 DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner
bb nf The Impossible Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Summit Entertainment
bb nf After Earth Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
bb nf Great Gatsby, The (2013) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner
bb nf Host, The (2013) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Universal
bb nf Stand Up Guys Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Lionsgate
bb nf The Quiet Man Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA mono | AR: 1.37:1 | Olive Films
bb nf Maleficent Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf Ender's Game Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Summit
bb nf TimeScapes Video: ? | Audio: ? | AR: ? | TimeScapes.org
bb nf House of Cards: Season One Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.00:1 | Sony
bb nf The Sessions Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Fox
bb nf Begin Again Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Starz/Anchor Bay
bb nf The Agony and the Ecstasy Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.20:1 | Fox
bb nf Wolverine 3-D, The: Unleashed Extended Edition Video: AVC | Audio: 7.1 DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Fox
bb nf Need for Speed (UK) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Entertainment One | UK Region B release
bb nf Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) Video: AVC | Audio: Dolby Atmos | AR: | Paramount
bb nf Still Mine Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Fox
bb nf The Wolf of Wall Street Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Paramount
bb nf House of Cards: Season Two Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.00:1 | Sony
bb nf Lone Ranger, The (2013) Video: AVC | Audio: 7.1 DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney
bb nf Oblivion Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1 | AR: 2.40:1 | Universal
bb nf Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Sony
bb nf Her Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Warner
bb nf Man of Tai Chi Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Starz/Anchor Bay
bb nf Glory (4K) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Sony
bb nf Pawn Shop Chronicles Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Starz/Anchor Bay